• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Islamic Thread

SoulPlaya said:
I agree with most of what you said. My main problem is with Muslims who claim that the answer to the Islamic world's problems is to become more conservative and look closer to Islam. I mean if you were drinking alcohol in the Islamic world, you would have received 40 lashes and there are many on this board who would claim there is nothing wrong with that because that is what Islam dictates and that's the way it should be.

I try real hard to separate Islam and the Koran from the people who practice the religion in these backward societies. However from the little ive studied the religion it seems to be a religion of accepting violent means, not necessary promoting it. What it says of taking women slaves for what I interpreted to be rape really bothers me. The rise in rape and other crimes that correlates with Muslim immigration in some European countries really bothers me. What bothers me most is I see no important Muslim groups or leaders really taking a stand agasint extremism, it almost seems as if their secretly accepting it. I admit I could be wrong, and don't want to offend any peaceful Muslims, I really don't. But I think the rise of Islam and its spread by the sword mentality is most likely to lead our world to a third world war.

Yazan

AndyIsTheMoney said:
The rise in rape and other crimes that correlates with Muslim immigration in some European countries really bothers me.

The crime always go up when immigrants come. Muslims or not. Just look at the Italians in America in the beginning of the 20th century. It's nothing about the ethnicity or religion and everything about feeling outside, but the immigrants children or grandchildren will blend in the society and become an important part of it.

AmMortal

Banned
AndyIsTheMoney said:
I try real hard to separate Islam and the Koran from the people who practice the religion in these backward societies. However from the little ive studied the religion it seems to be a religion of accepting violent means, not necessary promoting it. What it says of taking women slaves for what I interpreted to be rape really bothers me. The rise in rape and other crimes that correlates with Muslim immigration in some European countries really bothers me. What bothers me most is I see no important Muslim groups or leaders really taking a stand agasint extremism, it almost seems as if their secretly accepting it. I admit I could be wrong, and don't want to offend any peaceful Muslims, I really don't. But I think the rise of Islam and its spread by the sword mentality is most likely to lead our world to a third world war.

It wasn't just women slaves, they were men too. These "slaves" because they Qur'an doesn't call them slaves, are prisoners of war, people who once tried to kill you and everything you stand for. If they were to surrender, they would have to make a contribution to society, this was normal throughout the world. However, once you come to the Islamic world, fundemental changes occur in the treatment of these people. They are to be kept healthy, they should eat the same food you do, they should wear the same clothes you do, they should sleep the same place you do. They should be treated as family, and taught the ways of Islam. Think about it,the whole world was run on slaves, but Islam took step to neutralize this. Who would want a slave that eats your own kind of food, sleeps where you sleep etc. ? They were considered people that were being taught a lesson, so that they could see how humble and righteous, the people they were once fighting to kill, really were.

What the Qur'an refers to is a sort of
BruceundAlfred2.jpg
Which is perfectly normal.

Fady K

AndyIsTheMoney said:
What bothers me most is I see no important Muslim groups or leaders really taking a stand agasint extremism, it almost seems as if their secretly accepting it. I admit I could be wrong, and don't want to offend any peaceful Muslims, I really don't. But I think the rise of Islam and its spread by the sword mentality is most likely to lead our world to a third world war.

Hi, I'm Hadji and I'm using FadyK's account because I'm too lazy to log on and off. =p

I just wanted to say that I've seen the exact opposite and I live in Muslim lands. A few years ago, here in Sharjah-UAE, a cleric was deported for his anti-American statements about the war on Iraq.

When I went to Saudi Arabia, airport security went through the books I carried because they feared I had some that preached extremism. I have never been searched like this in any other country in the world.

Many years before 2001, several Saudi Arabian scholars warned against Bin Laden and his actions. They were the first that have condemned his actions and they made sure their voices were heard. Clerics are being thrown in jail every once in a while whenever they preach any form of extremism.

So, no, I cannot say that scholars aren't doing their jobs. If Muslims are becoming too extreme, it is only because they refuse to listen to what they are being taught by those that know their religion best.

FightyF

Banned
I try real hard to separate Islam and the Koran from the people who practice the religion in these backward societies.

Can you point to some specifics? Ie. versus from the Quran, and then the practice of these people?

Look at Saudi Arabia for example. Women can't drive. Yet Muhammed (to whom be peace) allowed women to ride camels, donkeys, any form of transportation.

Also, in some countries, women can't be passengers in cabs alone with a male driver. Yet the example from Hadith is that a man who doesn't know a woman, let her ride on his camel while he walked it. Both, alone together travelling.

These rules come from people who have their own ideologies (say, that women are so tempting and that we have to go to extremes to ward off this temptation), rather than scripture.

However from the little ive studied the religion it seems to be a religion of accepting violent means, not necessary promoting it. What it says of taking women slaves for what I interpreted to be rape really bothers me.

I don't understand what you mean here...Islam doesn't promote rape at all in any circumstance, it's considered a major sin.

The rise in rape and other crimes that correlates with Muslim immigration in some European countries really bothers me.

Perhaps the biggest thing that should bother you is that maybe these people lose their religion when they come over, and turn into hooligans.

You have to keep in mind the nature of the immigration to begin with. 20 years ago, many Western countries saw an influx of Muslim immigrants, many of them highly educated people from the Indo-Pak region. Before that, an influx of Lebanese came to the West, with a lot of investment capital. There were little issues with their immigration, mainly because their skillsets were embraced by employers and there was a need for workers, educated people, and business. Fast forward to today where anyone and everyone comes in, and secondly they are automatically marginalized (as in the cases in Europe) by an increasingly Xenophobic population. So this time they can't find jobs (which also leads to integration problems), they find themselves handicapped simply because of their race/religion, and they grow resentful towards a host population that isn't afraid to show what they think of immigrants. It's this sort of stuff that leads to friction and boiling points are hit.

AndyIsTheMoney said:
What bothers me most is I see no important Muslim groups or leaders really taking a stand agasint extremism, it almost seems as if their secretly accepting it.

I can't think of a Muslim organization or leader that hasn't taken a stand against terrorism, besides those who themselves are involved in terror groups such as Al Qaeda or Hamas.

I admit I could be wrong, and don't want to offend any peaceful Muslims, I really don't. But I think the rise of Islam and its spread by the sword mentality is most likely to lead our world to a third world war.

There is no "spread by the sword" mentality in the religion, this term came from people who claim that Islam was spread through conquering of lands. I find it hard to believe that 10,000 men could have taken over the whole world (Spain to China) in 100 years with the sword. Much of these lands turned to Muslim lands because the people accepted Islam in droves. To my knowledge many of Eastern European Christian countries had a form of Christianity that wasn't influenced by politics, or ideas such as God being in the form of a Trinity. If you look at the Indo-Pak region, home to currently a 1/3 of the modern day Muslim population, it was a bunch of travelling businessmen that prompted conversion for many people, simply due to their conduct. There definitely were some over zealous leaders, hundreds of years into Islamic history, but they can't be considered as examples that Muslims look up to. Most Muslims look at the Prophet and his Companions as examples we should follow.

AmMortal said:
It wasn't just women slaves, they were men too. These "slaves" because they Qur'an doesn't call them slaves, are prisoners of war, people who once tried to kill you and everything you stand for. If they were to surrender, they would have to make a contribution to society, this was normal throughout the world. However, once you come to the Islamic world, fundemental changes occur in the treatment of these people. They are to be kept healthy, they should eat the same food you do, they should wear the same clothes you do, they should sleep the same place you do. They should be treated as family, and taught the ways of Islam. Think about it,the whole world was run on slaves, but Islam took step to neutralize this. Who would want a slave that eats your own kind of food, sleeps where you sleep etc. ? They were considered people that were being taught a lesson, so that they could see how humble and righteous, the people they were once fighting to kill, really were.

What the Qur'an refers to is a sort of
BruceundAlfred2.jpg
Which is perfectly normal.

Hey just wanted to say its really admirable and respectful the way you handled my question that probably appeared to be attacking your religion, and i really didnt mean to be offensive. But thanks for the response

Yazan

FightyF said:
I can't think of a Muslim organization or leader that hasn't taken a stand against terrorism, besides those who themselves are involved in terror groups such as Al Qaeda or Hamas.

Comparing Hamas to Al Qaeda is wrong imo.

Fady K said:
Hi, I'm Hadji and I'm using FadyK's account because I'm too lazy to log on and off. =p

I just wanted to say that I've seen the exact opposite and I live in Muslim lands. A few years ago, here in Sharjah-UAE, a cleric was deported for his anti-American statements about the war on Iraq.

When I went to Saudi Arabia, airport security went through the books I carried because they feared I had some that preached extremism. I have never been searched like this in any other country in the world.

Many years before 2001, several Saudi Arabian scholars warned against Bin Laden and his actions. They were the first that have condemned his actions and they made sure their voices were heard. Clerics are being thrown in jail every once in a while whenever they preach any form of extremism.

So, no, I cannot say that scholars aren't doing their jobs. If Muslims are becoming too extreme, it is only because they refuse to listen to what they are being taught by those that know their religion best.

Thats good to hear. I don't expect any Muslim to fully support what America is doing. I can also understand how many middle eastern people may harbor resentment towards us. Disagreement and dialog generally leads to better societies. What I fear is any extremists who opts to use violence against innocent people to further a cause. I just see whats going on in Iran, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia. Maybe their is a bigger divide between the extremist and regular Muslims in these areas. I just don't hear or read about it as much. I dont see key Muslims, except a few, standing up to condemn and contain this extreme form of Islam. And to me, it seems the only way to win this fight against religious extremism is by Muslims condemning and rejecting it.

The UAE tends to be much more western friendly though correct?

Yazan

Hamas isn't like Al Qaeda, they may have a military wing but they are first and foremost a political and social party, not a terrorist organization. Even the military wing is quite different from Al Qaeda, they are fighting an occupation (the way they fight it can be discussed) but Al Qaeda is doing something else.

Fady K

FightyF said:
Also, in some countries, women can't be passengers in cabs alone with a male driver. Yet the example from Hadith is that a man who doesn't know a woman, let her ride on his camel while he walked it. Both, alone together travelling.

Hadji:

Sorry, but I'm going to have to ask for a source for that one.

FightyF

Banned
Fady K said:
Hadji:

Sorry, but I'm going to have to ask for a source for that one.

Yeah I can get you one. Inshallah by tomorrow evening.

Yazan said:
Comparing Hamas to Al Qaeda is wrong imo.

I wasn't really comparing them, I was referring to both as terror organizations. Both are organizations that condone attacks against whom THEY have defined as innocent (rather than what Allah SWT has defined), and both condone tactics such as suicide bombing, for example.

Sure, Al Qaeda seems to label anyone and anything (including other Muslims) as legitimate targets of warfare, whereas Hamas is pretty focused. Sure Al Qaeda does little else than fight, whereas Hamas also runs social programs. So if we were to compare them, they would be very different organizations. But they are still resorting to terrorism when it comes to warfare, and so I feel my label applies equally to both.

Whenever I hear people talking about religious extremists and about how they are unislamic (which I accept as being true) I always wonder whether or not they feel Salman Rushdie should be killed (or have a hand and a leg chopped off or be crucified).

Hadji, Azih, castle007, anyone?

FightyF said:
Yeah I can get you one. Inshallah by tomorrow evening.

I wasn't really comparing them, I was referring to both as terror organizations. Both are organizations that condone attacks against whom THEY have defined as innocent (rather than what Allah SWT has defined), and both condone tactics such as suicide bombing, for example.

Sure, Al Qaeda seems to label anyone and anything (including other Muslims) as legitimate targets of warfare, whereas Hamas is pretty focused. Sure Al Qaeda does little else than fight, whereas Hamas also runs social programs. So if we were to compare them, they would be very different organizations. But they are still resorting to terrorism when it comes to warfare, and so I feel my label applies equally to both.

except Hamas is just defending them selves even if they are using the wrong means. But you cant blame them.

Azih

Chairman Yang said:
Are the Islamic responses to the Problem of Evil significantly different than the Christian responses? If so, what are they?
Well there's no concept of Original Sin, Adam and Eve were created at the same time and Eve wasn't given the entire blame for the whole forbidden fruit thing.

But I think the rise of Islam and its spread by the sword mentality is most likely to lead our world to a third world war.
This is a total and complete myth. When can you point to a muslim nation invading a non muslim one and forcing everyone to convert?

While all religions do dictate how one must live their lives, none do so (atleast none that I know) as much as Islam.
Urm, Mormons? There's a few problems with your statement. Islam is a religion of 1.5 billion people with adherents spread across the entire world who are of different nations, ideologies, languages, sects, and heck any other division you can think of. If Islam was as 'all controlling' of their lives then there'd be a bit more unifomity yeah? Maybe the Islam threads on GAF would feature all the muslims agreeing with each other all the time? Secondly Which bit of Islam are you even talking about cuz the amount of diversity within it is freaking staggering. Somehow I don't think you're talking about pakkit for example, or the Sufis.

The Pope isn't in the Bible (no real mentions of government structure are in the New testament really)
What government structure in the Quran are you referring to as a contrast?
Allah has already judged by saying don't do it.
See this is the statement that really pisses me off. The only one who knows what God's judgement will be is *God*. The amount of destruction that has come from people convinced they are on God's side or (more accurately) God is on their's is fucking nuts, is exteremely destructive, and there's no grounding at all for that kind of arrogant attitude.

It's just that Islam is such a controlling religion
See above.
And a push for change? Come on, the Islamic world is living in the dark ages when it comes to most people's rights and I believe it's due to having one religion dictate pretty much everything in a person's life.
I'm sorry but I'm going ot have to call extreme bull on this.Some of the horrorific things that happen in South America and Christian parts of Africa make the Taliban look like freaking Swedes. Most every part of the Islamic world is in the THIRD WORLD and every part of the third world is in shit shape. *That's* the common thread not the freaking religion.

Further take every country that is having troubles where you are blaming "Islam" for its woes and take a look at its history and you'll find a whole bunch of unique problems that each is facing that has nothing whatsoever to do with religion. Pakistan is controlled in large parts by people who are practically feudal landlords and aren't much interested in progress, needs to spend a crazy amount of GDP on its millitary to keep up with its richer rival in India, has a multitude of regional splits, has one of the most unstable countries in history, Afghanistan, on its western border which is also the world's supply of opium and uses Pakistan as the route to get it there. Iraq and Lebanon are countries that never should have existed in the first place as it threw together peoples that were not ready to be in the same nation (despite the 'all controlling Islam') by careless colonial powers that just didn't give a fuck (Iraq has the additional burden of being led by the divisive bastard Saddam Hussien who was propped up by support from the west). Iran was doing very well for itself actually and had created a homegrown democracy BY THEMSELVES in the mid twentieth century which was smashed to shit by a coup engineered by the Americans and Brits which is what led to not only the Ayatollahs when the people rose up to kick the Western totalitarian repressive puppet out but worse the justified extreme paronia that country has of Western powers. Etc. Etc. Et freaking cetera.

EACH place you will look at is unique and has its own UNIQUE history, not the same 'Islamic history'. The reason that blaming Islam for the problems angers me so freaking much is that it is a compleletely wrong and retardely over simplified analysis that obscures the actual problems. Worse the idea that "It's all because of Islam" leads to the completely nuts idea that all you need to do is get rid of Islam to make everything all right in those regions and countries and not what those countries actually need to do to pull themselves out of the third world mire.

The only problem that religion can exacerbate is intolerance. And that's not a problem with *religion*, it's a problem with *intolerant religion*. The rise of intolerant Taliban style Islam is a cause for extreme concern (and it's primarly the fault of Hadji's country, boo to Arab oil money funding crazy madrassas), but racial/tribal intolerance was always bad in those regions anyway and that has nothing to do with religion.

Earthstrike said:
Man that you even have to ask saddens me.

As cultural as it is religious, but the only thread worthy of this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7554892.stm

"I want to get married" is a perfectly normal thing to say for a young Egyptian man. But when a girl says it in such a conservative society - let alone writes a book with that title - she is making a political statement.

"Girls are not supposed to be actively seeking something, a girl simply exists for someone to marry or divorce her," says the author of the top-selling book, Ghada Abdelaal. "To say she wants something is seen as impolite."

The book started as a blog, before it was spotted by an Egyptian publisher and printed as a series of comic sketches in which flawed and failed suitors knocking at her parents' door.

A paranoid policeman, a hirsute fundamentalist, a pathological liar and other hilarious caricatures portrayed in sparkling Egyptian vernacular.

Marriage anxiety

The veiled, softly-spoken Abdelaal is a sharp and witty observer of social incongruity in Egypt, a feisty spirit trying to tear up stifling tradition.

She says her target is not Egyptian men but a tradition known as "gawwaz el-salonat" (living room marriage), where a stranger is brought to the family home and the daughter must decide whether to marry him on the basis of this brief encounter.

"People who go for a picnic need to know each other a little longer than that - let alone make a lifelong commitment."

The book's popularity - it is in its third print run with a sitcom in the offing - reflects a widespread anxiety in Egyptian society. More and more young people cannot afford to get married.

Although the book focuses on finding Mr Right, she acknowledges finding an affordable flat remains an almost insurmountable obstacle. Many young people stay engaged for years before they can save up enough money.

"By the time they actually get to live together, they are already tired of each other," says women's rights activist Nihad Abou El Qoumsan. This causes the unusually high rate of divorce among the newlyweds in Egypt, she says.

Such is the impact of property prices on the marriage crisis, a popular talk show has invited engaged couples to join a draw to win a flat.

A new apartment will be given away by a wealthy businessman every day of the fasting and holiday month of Ramadan, in September. Huge numbers have registered.

Sexual frustration

Some describe it as a social time bomb. Religious customs mean there is no sex before marriage. So how do young people react to this situation?

Sociologist Madeeha al-Safty of the American University in Cairo believes one consequence is sexual harassment of women and rape reaching unprecedented levels in Egypt.

"If you are frustrated, there is the possibility that you take it out [through] violence.

"Some people choose the safer way in moving towards a more religious attitude - not necessarily extremism, but it might reach the point of extremism," she adds.

But anthropologist Hania Sholkamy hesitates to link the problems of sexual harassment and rape to the marriage crisis.

"I don't think people who harass women on the street are necessarily single, or necessarily sexually frustrated. There are many millions of people who are extremely frustrated, but they do not harass women.

"I think the issue is one of violence and gender disparities, pure and simple."

Gender disparities is a theme running throughout Abdelaal's book, from the provocative title questioning the women's passive role in a traditional society to the way children are brought up.

"They ask young girls here when they are three or four, who would you marry… they implant the idea your only purpose in life is to get married.

"Even after she goes to school they tell her that a girl's only future is in her husband's home.
So what happens when a girl for any reason cannot get married. Should she set fire to herself?"

Azih said:

It was a muslim on this forum (can't remember who) who posted about Sheik Ahmed Deedat that introduced me to the man a second time. One of his videos entitled "Should Rushdie Die?" on youtube makes the commentary that Salman Rushdie should die. Another one of his videos where he discusses the Satanic verses has the audience cheering as a questioner asks Deedat to deal with the issue of rushdie deserving to die and the fatwa of khomenei. (At that lecture Deedat was focusing on how to get the book banned and did not focus on the blasphemy of Muhammed)
Is it really so unbelievable that I might expect there to be a plausibility that this was a belief. (It's not like I presumed it to be true, that's why I asked).
I think what saddens me the most is that there was this response to my honest question which, I feel, was brushed off as being ignorant despite me finding it reasonable based on my experiences.

Fady K said:

Yeah but in the Arab world we have a problem where it is scholar for dollar. Why should a cleric be deported for saying anti-American statements about the war on Iraq. These rulers pay scholars and clerics to say what they want to be said.

Is anyone going to the 'Khilafah - The Need for Political Unity' conference on saturday??

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Azih said:
Well there's no concept of Original Sin, Adam and Eve were created at the same time and Eve wasn't given the entire blame for the whole forbidden fruit thing.
Hmm...I was referring more to the problem of evil as linked in that article. That is, reconciling the existence of evil/suffering with an all-powerful, benevolent deity. The wikipedia entry doesn't really have anything about the Islamic viewpoint on the issue.

Azih

Earthstrike said:
It was a muslim on this forum (can't remember who) who posted about Sheik Ahmed Deedat that introduced me to the man a second time. One of his videos entitled "Should Rushdie Die?" on youtube makes the commentary that Salman Rushdie should die. Another one of his videos where he discusses the Satanic verses has the audience cheering as a questioner asks Deedat to deal with the issue of rushdie deserving to die and the fatwa of khomenei. (At that lecture Deedat was focusing on how to get the book banned and did not focus on the blasphemy of Muhammed)
Is it really so unbelievable that I might expect there to be a plausibility that this was a belief. (It's not like I presumed it to be true, that's why I asked).
I think what saddens me the most is that there was this response to my honest question which, I feel, was brushed off as being ignorant despite me finding it reasonable based on my experiences.
I'm not sad that the question was asked. I'm sad that it is a legitimate one.

I think Deedat is a total ass by the way and he's a popular guy.

Kapsama

AndyIsTheMoney said:
All religion is best practiced freely when kept from government polluting it, hence our separation of church and state. most people think this was created because of the opposite scenario.

You got it backwards, government is best kept from religion polluting it. And that's exactly why the separation of state and church was created.

Azih

Chairman Yang said:
Hmm...I was referring more to the problem of evil as linked in that article. That is, reconciling the existence of evil/suffering with an all-powerful, benevolent deity. The wikipedia entry doesn't really have anything about the Islamic viewpoint on the issue.

Well this isn't researched at all, but the general idea is that this world is a test and that all evil, suffering etc will be accounted for and settled on the Day of Judgement and the afterlife.

So the benevolence of god comes into play not by ensuring that nothing bad ever happens in this life, but from rewarding good deeds and punishing bad ones in the next one.

I've never thought of this as a problem as evil is a consequence of free will. Would it be 'benevolent' of god to suppress human thought and action to prevent evil/suffering? That depends entirely on how you define 'benevolent' I suppose.

castle007

Banned
Earthstrike said:
Whenever I hear people talking about religious extremists and about how they are unislamic (which I accept as being true) I always wonder whether or not they feel Salman Rushdie should be killed (or have a hand and a leg chopped off or be crucified).

Hadji, Azih, castle007, anyone?

I have never read the Satanic Verses. I have only read the entry on Wikipedia. But I wouldn't support killim him. The prophet Mohammad used to walk in streets while people were humiliating him, calling him names and throwing stones at him, and he didn't do anything. He was patient.

Hadji

Banned
kobashi100 said:
Yeah but in the Arab world we have a problem where it is scholar for dollar. Why should a cleric be deported for saying anti-American statements about the war on Iraq. These rulers pay scholars and clerics to say what they want to be said.

Well, the UAE is an ally of the United States. When scholars are provoking people to make a stand against an ally of the country they belong to, it usually leads to rebellions. Speaking up against the policies of the government instead of advising them is prohibited in Islamic law as well.

castle007 said:
I have never read the Satanic Verses. I have only read the entry on Wikipedia. But I wouldn't support killim him. The prophet Mohammad used to walk in streets while people were humiliating him, calling him names and throwing stones at him, and he didn't do anything. He was patient.

Mohammed being called names is one thing, while apostasy is another. There are clear instructions from him that apostates are to be killed.

As for the Satanic Verses, it is based on a hadeeth with no legs that contradicts the text and the mind. I think that the only reason that it got so popular is because of its timing and the fact that it was written by an apostate.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Azih said:

This is a total and complete myth. When can you point to a muslim nation invading a non muslim one and forcing everyone to convert?

Urm, Mormons? There's a few problems with your statement. Islam is a religion of 1.5 billion people with adherents spread across the entire world who are of different nations, ideologies, languages, sects, and heck any other division you can think of. If Islam was as 'all controlling' of their lives then there'd be a bit more unifomity yeah? Maybe the Islam threads on GAF would feature all the muslims agreeing with each other all the time? Secondly Which bit of Islam are you even talking about cuz the amount of diversity within it is freaking staggering. Somehow I don't think you're talking about pakkit for example, or the Sufis.

What government structure in the Quran are you referring to as a contrast? See this is the statement that really pisses me off. The only one who knows what God's judgement will be is *God*. The amount of destruction that has come from people convinced they are on God's side or (more accurately) God is on their's is fucking nuts, is exteremely destructive, and there's no grounding at all for that kind of arrogant attitude.

See above. I'm sorry but I'm going ot have to call extreme bull on this.Some of the horrorific things that happen in South America and Christian parts of Africa make the Taliban look like freaking Swedes. Most every part of the Islamic world is in the THIRD WORLD and every part of the third world is in shit shape. *That's* the common thread not the freaking religion.

Further take every country that is having troubles where you are blaming "Islam" for its woes and take a look at its history and you'll find a whole bunch of unique problems that each is facing that has nothing whatsoever to do with religion. Pakistan is controlled in large parts by people who are practically feudal landlords and aren't much interested in progress, needs to spend a crazy amount of GDP on its millitary to keep up with its richer rival in India, has a multitude of regional splits, has one of the most unstable countries in history, Afghanistan, on its western border which is also the world's supply of opium and uses Pakistan as the route to get it there. Iraq and Lebanon are countries that never should have existed in the first place as it threw together peoples that were not ready to be in the same nation (despite the 'all controlling Islam') by careless colonial powers that just didn't give a fuck (Iraq has the additional burden of being led by the divisive bastard Saddam Hussien who was propped up by support from the west). Iran was doing very well for itself actually and had created a homegrown democracy BY THEMSELVES in the mid twentieth century which was smashed to shit by a coup engineered by the Americans and Brits which is what led to not only the Ayatollahs when the people rose up to kick the Western totalitarian repressive puppet out but worse the justified extreme paronia that country has of Western powers. Etc. Etc. Et freaking cetera.

EACH place you will look at is unique and has its own UNIQUE history, not the same 'Islamic history'. The reason that blaming Islam for the problems angers me so freaking much is that it is a compleletely wrong and retardely over simplified analysis that obscures the actual problems. Worse the idea that "It's all because of Islam" leads to the completely nuts idea that all you need to do is get rid of Islam to make everything all right in those regions and countries and not what those countries actually need to do to pull themselves out of the third world mire.

The only problem that religion can exacerbate is intolerance. And that's not a problem with *religion*, it's a problem with *intolerant religion*. The rise of intolerant Taliban style Islam is a cause for extreme concern (and it's primarly the fault of Hadji's country, boo to Arab oil money funding crazy madrassas), but racial/tribal intolerance was always bad in those regions anyway and that has nothing to do with religion.

Just look at this website to see how controlling Islam can be: http://www.islam-qa.com/en. Here's another article that speaks on government and Islam http://www.islam101.com/politics/politicalsystem.htm And just because bad things happen in some Christian nations doesn't justify what goes on in Islamic nations. And I don't believe Christianity has as much influence in those nations as islam does in Muslim countries. And where did you get the idea that I blamed Islam for the way things were? All I'm saying is that most Islamic nations have terrible human rights records justified, by many, by being in accordance with Islam.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Hadji said:
Well, the UAE is an ally of the United States. When scholars are provoking people to make a stand against an ally of the country they belong to, it usually leads to rebellions. Speaking up against the policies of the government instead of advising them is prohibited in Islamic law as well.

Mohammed being called names is one thing, while apostasy is another. There are clear instructions from him that apostates are to be killed.

As for the Satanic Verses, it is based on a hadeeth with no legs that contradicts the text and the mind. I think that the only reason that it got so popular is because of its timing and the fact that it was written by an apostate.
Just to be clear, do you think Rushdie should be killed?

Hadji

Banned
SoulPlaya said:
So, just because one rejects Islam or speaks against it, you believe they should be killed?

Of course not. People have rejected and spoke against Islam since Mohammed (pbuh) and they weren't put to death.

PhlegmMaster said:
Quoting this for use in future debates.

Haha! I'm surprised that you doubted that I believed in killing apostates. =)

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I remember when I used to be Muslim! I find that my life is now much less stressful now that I am not~

On the people who have some weird assumptions about Muslims - I understand a lot of you only have books and websites to really get an understanding of "Islam culture" - but to be honest, you're not really getting a taste of anything substantial - and this ridiculous idea that Islam = human rights violations is silly. Islamic countries may not preach the same level of equality between men and women, but that's what happens when:

A - a country is third world.
and
B - you have religion and politics holding hands like they do in a lot of Islamic countries. That's not just because it's Islam, if the Bible was the law in some third world countries, I'm sure you'd be seeing some things -very- similar.

All in all, religion is exhausting =/.

Ydahs

SoulPlaya said:
Just to be clear, do you think Rushdie should be killed?
I personally don't wish death upon anyone, but I must ask a question: Doesn't Islam teach one to follow the law of the country as if it's the law of Islam, as long as it doesn't contradict?

The killing of anyone is against the law of the country, so I don't think one is allowed to go out an kill an apostate. Maybe if it was a country under Shariah law, but I can't imagine one who apostates would stay in one.

Also, doesn't Islam indicate that under the Shariah law, Muslims must judge non-Muslims under their own laws? Like in Saudi Arabia, non-Muslims are being treated as Muslims in the courts, but I do recall, a few centuries after the Prophet's death, that Muslims were judging Christians and Jews using their respective laws.

Hadji said:
Only if he really is an apostate.

I was watching a lecture by Dr. Zakin Naik where, summarily, he made the argument that the calling for death of apostates was an action taken to protect Islam from being destroyed in the early years. In other words, its application today is out of histrocial context. I really wish I could elaborate on the argument more but I can't remember the youtube video I saw that from (I think it was this lecture).

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=utHBJmQIz7g&feature=related

I also think there's a slim chance I could be wrong about it being Naik making this argument although I'm fairly sure he's the person I've heard it from.

What would you make of this argument, and has anyone else here heard it before?

Edit: Just thought of something else I'd like to add. If the Quran says everyone is born Muslim (correct me if I'm wrong) but then doesn't that make everyone apostates.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Hadji said:
Of course not. People have rejected and spoke against Islam since Mohammed (pbuh) and they weren't put to death.

Haha! I'm surprised that you doubted that I believed in killing apostates. =)
You're contradicting yourself. WTF is your definition of apostate?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Ydahs said:
I personally don't wish death upon anyone, but I must ask a question: Doesn't Islam teach one to follow the law of the country as if it's the law of Islam, as long as it doesn't contradict?

The killing of anyone is against the law of the country, so I don't think one is allowed to go out an kill an apostate. Maybe if it was a country under Shariah law, but I can't imagine one who apostates would stay in one.

Also, doesn't Islam indicate that under the Shariah law, Muslims must judge non-Muslims under their own laws? Like in Saudi Arabia, non-Muslims are being treated as Muslims in the courts, but I do recall, a few centuries after the Prophet's death, that Muslims were judging Christians and Jews using their respective laws.
But the problem is that most Muslim countries are run under Sharia law, and the consensus view under Sharia law is that Apostates are to be killed. As far as the the treatment of Jews and Christians go, they are considered inferior. And I'm not basing this off of just websites, I'm a Christian that used to live in a Muslim country. This is due to different interpretations of the ninth surah and, sadly, many follow this line of interpretation: http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=9&tid=20986

SoulPlaya said:
You're contradicting yourself. WTF is your definition of apostate?

I think the confusion lies in the meaning of the words "reject Islam". Hadji understood that people who "reject Islam" are people who don't believe in Islam (and never have), while what you really meant is former Muslims, i.e. apostates.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
PhlegmMaster said:
I think the confusion lies in the meaning of the words "reject Islam". Hadji understood that people who "reject Islam" are people who don't believe in Islam (and never have), while what you really meant is former Muslims, i.e. apostates.
This is another point of contention in the Muslim world. Some can be as strict as this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Shafi_tradition. Others, sadly very few, are more lenient and can be very forgiving. Either way, Hadji's belief is fucked up, I mean. . . . damn.

Azih

SoulPlaya said:
Just look at this website to see how controlling Islam can be: http://www.islam-qa.com/en. Here's another article that speaks on government and Islam http://www.islam101.com/politics/politicalsystem.htm
Uh, you're assuming that those websites are websites of record for 1.5 billion people there. Like I said and you didn't respond to:

"Islam is a religion of 1.5 billion people with adherents spread across the entire world who are of different nations, ideologies, languages, sects, and heck any other division you can think of. If Islam was as 'all controlling' of their lives then there'd be a bit more unifomity yeah? Maybe the Islam threads on GAF would feature all the muslims agreeing with each other all the time? Secondly Which bit of Islam are you even talking about cuz the amount of diversity within it is freaking staggering. Somehow I don't think you're talking about pakkit for example, or the Sufis."

And just because bad things happen in some Christian nations doesn't justify what goes on in Islamic nations.
Wasn't justifying anything at all, what makes you think I was justifying anything? Where did I say I was justifying any one damn thing? I was pointing out that the common thread is that all these countries in not religion at all but that these are THIRD WORLD countries. Which is in complete contradiction of your "It's Islam's fault" theory.

Which brings me to:

And where did you get the idea that I blamed Islam for the way things were

Why because you said
and I believe it's due to having one religion dictate pretty much everything in a person's life.
Which is quite bull. Especially since a lot of Muslim countries have a lot of secterian strife which means there are freaking religous disagreements.

GSG Flash said:
Hadji is one of those ultra conservative muslims.

According to wikipedia:
The four major Sunni and the one major Shia Madh'hab (schools of Islamic jurisprudence) agree that a sane adult male apostate must be executed.[1] They differ on the punishment for a female apostate - some schools calling for death and others for imprisonment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam

Would you call the one major Shia and the four major Sunni schools ultra-conservative as well?

Azih

PhlegmMaster said:
Would you call the one major Shia and the four major Sunni schools ultra-conservative as well?
I would say that those who follow the imams of those schools to every letter are indeed ultra conservative and Hadji's one of them. Most muslims don't go into this much detail at all. Deriving divine laws from a collection of sayings written down a few hundred years after the source died and treating it like unfallible truth is a pretty damn conservative approach.

This is a good overview of the debate
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4850080.stm

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Azih said:
Uh, you're assuming that those websites are websites of record for 1.5 billion people there. Like I said and you didn't respond to:

"Islam is a religion of 1.5 billion people with adherents spread across the entire world who are of different nations, ideologies, languages, sects, and heck any other division you can think of. If Islam was as 'all controlling' of their lives then there'd be a bit more unifomity yeah? Maybe the Islam threads on GAF would feature all the muslims agreeing with each other all the time? Secondly Which bit of Islam are you even talking about cuz the amount of diversity within it is freaking staggering. Somehow I don't think you're talking about pakkit for example, or the Sufis."

Wasn't justifying anything at all, what makes you think I was justifying anything? Where did I say I was justifying any one damn thing? I was pointing out that the common thread is that all these countries in not religion at all but that these are THIRD WORLD countries. Which is in complete contradiction of your "It's Islam's fault" theory.

Which brings me to:

Why because you said

Which is quite bull. Especially since a lot of Muslim countries have a lot of secterian strife which means there are freaking religous disagreements.
My point was to show that Islam is a much more controlling religion than other major religions, and that's true. About the blaming islam thing, we are discussing different things. You made it seem as if I was blaming Islam alone as the reason why these countries BECAME fucked up. My point is that TODAY, in these countries, Islam is used as the justification for the terrible human rights. In my opinion, this is due to Islam having such complete control over the people.

It's hard to judge a muslim nation that isn't a third world (global south) nation when I can think of only one (Turkey). Even then, the main reason why Turkey has done so well is because of its secularism. Before that, however, Turkey used to do things like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_Genocide#Monuments

Azih

SoulPlaya said:
My point was to show that Islam is a much more controlling religion than other major religions, and that's true.
And I've disputed that (1.5 billion people yo, you're ignoring my points) and you've responded with links to two websites that don't mean anything.

About the blaming islam thing, we are discussing different things. You made it seem as if I was blaming Islam alone as the reason why these countries BECAME fucked up.
Nothing about BECAME fucked up. I'm talking about ARE fucked up. And that has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with being in the Third World. As there are plenty of muslim and non mulsim nations that are in the third world and have horrible human rights records. Religion is not the common factor.

It's hard to judge a muslim nation that isn't a third world (global south) nation
So look at how pious believing muslims are doing in the first world.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Azih said:
And I've disputed that (1.5 billion people yo, you're ignoring my points) and you've responded with links to two websites that don't mean anything.

Nothing about BECAME fucked up. I'm talking about ARE fucked up. And that has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with being in the Third World. As there are plenty of muslim and non mulsim nations that are in the third world and have horrible human rights records. Religion is not the common factor.

So look at how pious believing muslims are doing in the first world.
You are the one oversimplifying things now. Yes, there are also non-muslim nations with horrible human rights records, but they all have various different reasons for doing so (as do Muslim nations). But if you honestly believe that Islam has had no influence over the current state of many Muslim countries then I gotta ask, have you ever lived in a Muslim nation? And ask yourself, why are they in the third world? You think that living under Sharia law, and letting Islam govern how people live has nothing to do with it?

And take a look at some of those websites and look at the questions being asked. One I found was this: "I will like to know the ruling on entering the toilet with phone whose screen saver is Allahu Akbar written in arabic." You don't think that's extreme? I'm not saying all 1.5 billion live this way (that would be ridiculous), I'm just saying that a substantial portion either choose to live this way or are forced to live this way.

Azih said:
I would say that those who follow the imams of those schools to every letter are indeed ultra conservative and Hadji's one of them. Most muslims don't go into this much detail at all. Deriving divine laws from a collection of sayings written down a few hundred years after the source died and treating it like unfallible truth is a pretty damn conservative approach.

This is a good overview of the debate
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4850080.stm

My beef is with using phrases like "ultra-conservative", which in most people's minds imply that these people must be a tiny minority. AFAIK there has been no worldwide poll that has asked Muslims if they believe apostates should be executed, but the fact that 36% of young British Muslims believe just that is strong evidence that whatever the worldwide percentage is, it's far from a tiny minority. That a belief is 'conservative' doesn't mean it isn't mainstream.

As for the article, its worthlessness is demonstrated by the fact that it doesn't even mention that the "There is no compulsion in religion" verse has been nullified by more recent, more intolerant verses. Whether this outrageous omission was motivated by Western ignorance or by Muslim taqiyah is debatable. My guess is the former, since the guy they picked to defend the ultra-moderate view of Islam (see, I can use that trick too) seems sincere, albeit deluded. However, he's not representative of most Muslims. Case in point: His book, Responsibility for the Failure of the Islamic State, was banned by Al-Azhar University, the world's leading Sunni Islam seat of learning.

joey_z

Banned
SoulPlaya said:
You are the one oversimplifying things now. Yes, there are also non-muslim nations with horrible human rights records, but they all have various different reasons for doing so (as do Muslim nations). But if you honestly believe that Islam has had no influence over the current state of many Muslim countries then I gotta ask, have you ever lived in a Muslim nation? And ask yourself, why are they in the third world? You think that living under Sharia law, and letting Islam govern how people live has nothing to do with it?

And take a look at some of those websites and look at the questions being asked. One I found was this: "I will like to know the ruling on entering the toilet with phone whose screen saver is Allahu Akbar written in arabic." You don't think that's extreme? I'm not saying all 1.5 billion live this way (that would be ridiculous), I'm just saying that a substantial portion either choose to live this way or are forced to live this way.

How does sharia account for economic failure? If anything it promotes a progressive tax system through alms giving. You seem to not know much about Islam but sure are vocal about your misunderstanding.

Also you completely ignore the social and cultural aspects of these developing nations as well as their geopolitical cut. Corruption and bureaucracy also play a major role.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
joey_z said:
How does sharia account for economic failure? If anything it promotes a progressive tax system through alms giving. You seem to not know much about Islam but sure are vocal about your misunderstanding.
Economic failure? Where did I say anything about economic failure? We're talking about human rights.

Top Bottom