• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Islamic Thread

I "reverted" to Islam today :D

I went to Mosque and I was so scared walking in when I got there the 3rd prayer of the day had just ended and it was so hard to not run away at first. But the few people that stayed behind welcomed me and helped with every this. This one brother from India even took me to his home to clean up (shower) before the 4th prayer time his house was closer and if I walked home I would have been late.

It was shocking that this guy would invite me (a stranger) who just converted to his home for a shower. I had to wait outside a little only because he had to tell his wife I was using the shower.

4th Prayer was awesome after that I stayed at the mosque for last prayer and some brothers visiting from Brooklyn NY talked to me for a very long time.

I had an amazing day.

I have to run and take a train back to my godmother's since I only came back to town to do this.

thanks for all the help with the questions again.

Akia

^

Wow, dude that's amazing. Did you go to Masjid At-Taqwa in Brooklyn NY? I hear awesome things about that masjid mostly because they have Imam Siraj Wahaj. He's a really good speaker. Imam Siraj flys all over giving speeches to different cities in America. I heard him speak in Michigan a couple of times. Brooklyn is so lucky to have the guy.

Akia said:
^

Wow, dude that's amazing. Did you go to Masjid At-Taqwa in Brooklyn NY? I hear awesome things about that masjid mostly because they have Imam Siraj Wahaj. He's a really good speaker. Imam Siraj flys all over giving speeches to different cities in America. I heard him speak in Michigan a couple of times. Brooklyn is so lucky to have the guy.
no I did not go to Brookyln some of the guys who help me were visiting from Brooklyn ( I am in Bridgeport CT )

I wish I was staying home so I could talk to them again but I have to take the train to Greenwich CT and stay there and babysit for a few days while my godmother goes to florida for a cruise. My Godmother really teased me over Thanksgiving diner when I told them what I was about to do. She was cool with it but only concerned for my safety.

I still can't believe all the things that went on today.

I even ate some food at the mosque with some brothers everyone is from all over Asia, Africa, India and the Middle East but everyone was very friendly.

I got to run but I will login when I can this weekend

Witchfinder General said:
I've got a question for you folks.

When I caught the bus today a women garbed in a full burqa (black, with only a slit for her eyes to peer through) was sitting in a seat next to another women. Noticing this, I proceeded to the only spare seat which sat me next to a man. This fellow appeared to be a Muslim given that he was reading what looked to be a holy book written in arabic and had the tell-tale signs of a deeply religious Muslim, wiry beard and all. At first I assumed he had some connection to the lady in the burqa but dismissed that thought on the grounds that if she were his wife then they would be seated next to each other. However, a few stops later they both got off and appeared to be walking in lock step.

So what's the deal here?

If they are married (or at the very least are familiar with each other) why aren't they at each other's side? When I travel with my wife on a bus or train we're always inseparable regardless of any seating arrangement. Perhaps when they got on the bus the only available seats were separate from each other and prior to my getting on the bus the person who sitting next to the Muslim gentleman vacated his seat thus leaving the impression that the Muslim couple were separate. Still, even if that was the case why didn't the the burqa-sporting lady not move to her husband's(?) side?

Is there some sort of religious precedent for this? Or maybe they just can't stand each other?

Sorry to ask such a long winded and seeming inane question but it's been bugging me all day.

Cheers.

Maybe they was brother and sister blood related I mean or maybe they was going to the same masjid, what gave you the idea that they was married or even knew each other? they got off at the same stop?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
SwordofIslam said:
Maybe they was brother and sister blood related I mean or maybe they was going to the same masjid, what gave you the idea that they was married or even knew each other? they got off at the same stop?

Like I said I don't know if they were married or otherwise but at the very least two people who are familiar with each other typically stay close by each other unless they despise the other person.

As to my deducing they knew each other, well for one seeing such devout Muslim's in my area is fairly rare and from mu understanding seeing a Muslim woman in a full burqa on her own is rarer still.

Witchfinder General said:
Like I said I don't know if they were married or otherwise but at the very least two people who are familiar with each other typically stay close by each other unless they despise the other person.

As to my deducing they knew each other, well for one seeing such devout Muslim's in my area is fairly rare and from mu understanding seeing a Muslim woman in a full burqa on her own is rarer still.

Well it can be many reasons why they wasnt together. Also it isnt that rare to see Muslim woman in full burqa outside alone. I live in NY and I see them all the time walking the streets alone, going to the masjid, shopping etc...

Duck Amuck said:
Congrats. What basics of prayer did they teach you? I assume we're in the same boat with this and learning how to pray is tough. :lol
these guys are not the hardcore types they all encouraged me to take baby steps so I was only shown the movements and told to stay quiet during prayer and focus on Thanking Allah.

learned about washing before prayer... and when to wash again
told that water is greater than toilet paper and so on... stuff about purifying

told how I should sleep. and how I should seat on the floor

it was Japanese style with my legs folded under me while kneeling, it hurt because I am not flexible
so kneeling will be my hardest challenge and the prayers yeah are hard to remember but I will work on them alone these guys are too laid back they wont push me enough

I asked about which foods are made with pork I was kinda shocked when the Indian brother teaching me kinda acted like it does not matter for now. But I am avoiding pork on my own.

So mostly I have the feeling Islam is something you do on your own... you submit on your own no one is forcing me

I was asked by a few brothers if I wanted to change my name... some strongly supported a change of name while others say it does not matter I can keep my name as is.

I think this Mosque is kinda laid back, very mixed even so Hispanics converted this week so we had many different people.

One brother who was 19 told me he thought I was 16
I have that problem I look young maybe this is the reason they did not push me as much

sad part is they all told me all my past sins are gone and I start off new today but when I ask how do I avoid new sins... I was told we are all human living in a bad environment so I will struggle
I was also told that Allah loves to see us struggle and loves it when we ask for forgiveness

there is a lot of ways to mess up so I probably need forgiveness already :)

I asked about learning Arabic I was told most of them did not read or speak it, one white american brother said he wanted as a goal 10 years ago but here he is and never learned it so I felt a little letdown since no one was studying the language

I guess they did not want to scare me.

I hardly saw the women. they had a different room on the floor below us
I only saw a glimpse of them when one of the brothers wanted to show me the movements for prayer

I have a long way to go

AmMortal

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
these guys are not the hardcore types they all encouraged me to take baby steps so I was only shown the movements and told to stay quiet during prayer and focus on Thanking Allah.

learned about washing before prayer... and when to wash again
told that water is greater than toilet paper and so on... stuff about purifying

told how I should sleep. and how I should seat on the floor

it was Japanese style with my legs folded under me while kneeling, it hurt because I am not flexible
so kneeling will be my hardest challenge and the prayers yeah are hard to remember but I will work on them alone these guys are too laid back they wont push me enough

I asked about which foods are made with pork I was kinda shocked when the Indian brother teaching me kinda acted like it does not matter for now. But I am avoiding pork on my own.

So mostly I have the feeling Islam is something you do on your own... you submit on your own no one is forcing me

I was asked by a few brothers if I wanted to change my name... some strongly supported a change of name while others say it does not matter I can keep my name as is.

I think this Mosque is kinda laid back, very mixed even so Hispanics converted this week so we had many different people.

One brother who was 19 told me he thought I was 16
I have that problem I look young maybe this is the reason they did not push me as much

sad part is they all told me all my past sins are gone and I start off new today but when I ask how do I avoid new sins... I was told we are all human living in a bad environment so I will struggle
I was also told that Allah loves to see us struggle and loves it when we ask for forgiveness

there is a lot of ways to mess up so I probably need forgiveness already :)

I asked about learning Arabic I was told most of them did not read or speak it, one white american brother said he wanted as a goal 10 years ago but here he is and never learned it so I felt a little letdown since no one was studying the language

I guess they did not want to scare me.

I hardly saw the women. they had a different room on the floor below us
I only saw a glimpse of them when one of the brothers wanted to show me the movements for prayer

I have a long way to go

SubhanAllah, welcome brother :)

Hope to see you in real life, after death :p

SoulPlaya said:
My problem is that AmMortal seems to make it seem as if this verse is under serious dispute, which it isn't. For some reason, he seems to think that Arabs don't know their own language. The word is beat, there is no dispute. Once again, light beating, but beat nonetheless.

Okay, regarding that verse in the Qur'an:

There are some serious scholars, known throughout the world, with western backgrounds, that are in this boat, and want to re-translate the Qur'an into english.

Because, the current ones ( Abdullahi Yusuf Ali, for instance) Was a translation from Urdu to english. So a double translation, which inevitably will lead to mistranslations.

Scholars, which have better understanding of the EARLIER arabic used by the Qur'an ( not the one now, as words have different meanings! ) Call for that particular word, in the verse, to mean TO LEAVE . Today's arabs only have A GLIMPS of the Qur'an, I take QUR'ANIC arabic lessons, and there are ARAB brothers, who take it with me, because the arabic now IS NOT the arabic in the Qur'an.

And it only shows arrogance, if you won't even admit to this fact, as an arab you either know this to be true, and are for some reason keeping the discord going. Or you don't in which case, after this post you are hopefully enlightened.

Chipopo

Banned
AmMortal said:
"hit " is a bad translation here. The word used is 'lahaza' , which could be translated as "Push". A correct translation would be:

He pushed me (lahadani) in the chest (fi sadri) with a push (lahdatan)which made me sore (awja'atni).

:lol this thread's hilarious

AmMortal

Banned
Chipopo said:
:lol this thread's hilarious

Funny, how you didn't quote the whole post, detailing what the push implied.

A push or shove was a general way of purification from the Prophet. Now, I know that you don't believe in any of that, but you don't have to come in here, and play the whole "Muslims are backward" card. Just to try so look what you perceive as "cool".

You didn't contribute to this thread in anyway, people like SoulPlaya, offer different views, and actually go into some detail in explaining as to what they want to achieve. I respect that, but don't respect thread shitters.

thanks AmMortal

I'm back home and researching names. I think I will change my name but getting it changed on official documents will be a huge undertaking for me. So I want to make sure I research the name I want since I have it from now on.

Question: I use to write poetry and some erotic poems too, so I did a google search on erotic literature and Islam to see what the laws were. I did not really find anything but that erotic poems and erotic literature go way back in Arabic/Islamic worlds

what gives? are reading these things allowed?

I have too many questions since I am back home a few days early I'm going to go see if I learn anything new at the Mosque

AmMortal

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
thanks AmMortal

I'm back home and researching names. I think I will change my name but getting it changed on official documents will be a huge undertaking for me. So I want to make sure I research the name I want since I have it from now on.

Question: I use to right poetry and some erotic poems too, so I did a google search on erotic literature and Islam to see what the laws were. I did not really find anything but that erotic poems and erotic literature go way back in Arabic/Islamic worlds

what gives? are reading these things allowed?

I have too many questions since I am back home a few days early I'm going to go see if I learn anything new at the Mosque

No prob, Akhi ( brother). Always here :)

Well, poems in general are a good way of expressing one's inner feelings and dispositions. However, there are certain topics in any form of medium, of which Muslims, should try and avoid, the 1st ( as you may know already), is speaking of Allah or His messengers in a manner that would not do them justice. The second are things that lend themselves to the erotic nature, or unnessecary violence, or drugs etc.

May Allah reward you with things beyond our knowledge.

Chipopo

Banned
AmMortal said:
You didn't contribute to this thread in anyway, people like SoulPlaya, offer different views, and actually go into some detail in explaining as to what they want to achieve. I respect that, but don't respect thread shitters.

That's okay, I don't respect you either :p

AmMortal said:
A push or shove was a general way of purification from the Prophet. Now, I know that you don't believe in any of that

You have to admit that this sounds a little weird, though, doesn't it?
He didn't actually beat his wife, he pushed her and when he did it it was an act of purification? For him? For her? So she should be thankful for getting pushed?

AmMortal

Banned
Smiling Bandit said:
You have to admit that this sounds a little weird, though, doesn't it?
He didn't actually beat his wife, he pushed her and when he did it it was an act of purification? For him? For her? So she should be thankful for getting pushed?

Man, it really saddens me, to see people with prejudices repeat the same argument over and over again.

:(

AmMortal said:
Man, it really saddens me, to see people with prejudices repeat the same argument over and over again.

:(

Non-believers say believers are prejudiced, believers say non-believers are prejudiced.
I'm just saying that you paint a picture of your prophet that makes him fall in line with your own moral convictions.

AmMortal

Banned
Smiling Bandit said:
Non-believers say believers are prejudiced, believers say non-believers are prejudiced.
I'm just saying that you paint a picture of your prophet that makes him fall in line with your own moral convictions.

As do those who oppose my views.

Duck Amuck said:
Yeah I love going to the mosque. It's peaceful, quiet, brotherly. I had never met the people before and they were so nice to me.

And yes, it feels like I've got such a long way to go. Sigh.

Sitting down while praying is hard for me as well. :(

And yes, what I love about Islam is that emphasizes coming up with your own relationship with God and no one really forces you to do anything.

yep Islam in a nutshell.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Smiles and Cries said:
I "reverted" to Islam today :D

I went to Mosque and I was so scared walking in when I got there the 3rd prayer of the day had just ended and it was so hard to not run away at first. But the few people that stayed behind welcomed me and helped with every this. This one brother from India even took me to his home to clean up (shower) before the 4th prayer time his house was closer and if I walked home I would have been late.

It was shocking that this guy would invite me (a stranger) who just converted to his home for a shower. I had to wait outside a little only because he had to tell his wife I was using the shower.

4th Prayer was awesome after that I stayed at the mosque for last prayer and some brothers visiting from Brooklyn NY talked to me for a very long time.

I had an amazing day.

I have to run and take a train back to my godmother's since I only came back to town to do this.

thanks for all the help with the questions again.

Congratulations S&C!

Two conversions in a single month, on GAF nonetheless, it's really awesome to see :D

AmMortal

Banned
GSG Flash said:
Congratulations S&C!

Two conversions in a single month, on GAF nonetheless, it's really awesome to see :D

Isn't it :D

At this rate, the whole of GAF shall be ouuursss.

NeoGAF

BELIEVE...in ALLAH

Yazan

youngleaves said:
Lol, Hamas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7754946.stm

"Meanwhile, the Hamas authorities in control of the Gaza Strip have threatened to prevent Muslim pilgrims leaving Gaza to attend the annual Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia, unless a dispute over visas is resolved."

In other words, if you don't do what we want we'll make our people suffer and then everyone will feel bad!

Well, that's only a part of the story. Gaza have the right to send 1200 to Hajj, so Hamas picked and put all names in a computer and let it pick the 1200 names randomly (in front of journalists and cameras). The 1200 names are the people who are going to Hajj, but the problem is that Fateh wanted to play the dirty game again and promised people that don't have right to go, a ticket (probably people that can bribe them).

Congrats Smile, btw:)

GSG Flash

Oh yeah, Duck/Himu and S&C, you guys should also read up on shi'ism from unbiased sources, not because I want you guys to start following shia teachings, but rather because there's a lot of misconceptions about shias, especially with sunnis, that I hope you guys won't start believing too. Everytime I hear something about shias that is blatantly wrong, which happens extremely often, it makes me cringe :/

AAK

GSG Flash said:
Oh yeah, Duck/Himu and S&C, you guys should also read up on shi'ism from unbiased sources, not because I want you guys to start following shia teachings, but rather because there's a lot of misconceptions about shias, especially with sunnis, that I hope you guys won't start believing too. Everytime I hear something about shias that is blatantly wrong, which happens extremely often, it makes me cringe :/

Could you please post some of the misconceptions and these unbiased sources?

DSWii60

GSG Flash said:

Yeah, most of my friends are Sunni and almost all of them have asked me at one point or another why I believe Ali (a.s.) is superior to Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) or why I follow the Shia teachings when they were "invented"/started 30 years after the Prophet's death, for example.
Both of which aren't true.

Edit: Just saw the above post.

I suppose this is a decent start although it only talks about my type of Shias or "Twelvers" as we're sometimes referred to and may not be entirely accurate.

Wow, congrats to all the converts as of late!

I just hope a lot of people start to understand that the stuff Islam teaches and the stuff that are taught from a person's respective culture are two different things. It upsets me how many people cannot come to grasps with that.

AmMortal said:
Isn't it :D

At this rate, the whole of GAF shall be ouuursss.

NeoGAF

BELIEVE...in ALLAH

If I could, I'd start an official atheist thread and lead as many people astray as possible alas can't.

Maybe Allah wills it that way. :(

Duck Amuck said:
And yes, what I love about Islam is that emphasizes coming up with your own relationship with God and no one really forces you to do anything.

The bottom line in Islam is to recognize the 'oneness of God', and to submit to it's will.

GSG Flash said:

I would have no issue with reading your sources if you have some links please share.

my mosque does not seem to care about the different branches everyone is so cool and they are all different and I had at least 5 guys talk to me for over 30 minutes to an hour at different times between Prayers since I spent most of the day there.

I don't mind learning

effingvic said:

I just hope a lot of people start to understand that the stuff Islam teaches and the stuff that are taught from a person's respective culture are two different things. It upsets me how many people cannot come to grasps with that.

yeah a brother from Togo spent over an hour explaining things to me and this was one of his warnings to me he said this mosque has many cultures and to becareful that I do not take cultural habits as deen

:D man today was so fun!

whoa these guys eat a lot! and they frown at you a bit if you eat too little :)

So I had some food I am not sure what it was or which country it was from but I was so relieved that it was pretty good and I was able to clear my plate. then after the last prayer and a guest lecturer about 20 large pizzas was shared with everyone.
Is eating a major part of being at mosque?

I still cannot shake the amazement that people who would never have talked to me in normal life take the time to sit down with me and share about what Islam.

I even was forced to speak french today, something I rarely do.

The Iman is a young looking man from Jordan he seem to have a good sense of humor. Most of the brothers seem to have love jokes. I saw the Iman playing some Martial Arts with his son between prayers, he really kicked the kid with a full contact roundhouse kick! I was kinda surprised :lol (his son made a good block though)

The brother from Togo did not believe my age at first so he asked if I was serious. After that he told me I should marry... shrug:

Prine

Banned

A major part of being muslim is to give, so offering food is a gesture of giving. Especially to guests, we are told to treat them with warmth and respect, even sacrificing our comfort for them!

GSG Flash

DSWii60 said:
Yeah, most of my friends are Sunni and almost all of them have asked me at one point or another why I believe Ali (a.s.) is superior to Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) or why I follow the Shia teachings when they were "invented"/started 30 years after the Prophet's death, for example.

Yeah, I don't know where people learn bullshit like that from, Imam Ali is in no way above or even equal to Prophet Muhammed and anyone who believes so isn't a muslim (ie. Alevis). Imam Ali would probably kick your ass if you believed that, considering he had people who worshiped him when was the caliph killed.

Smiles and Cries said:
I would have no issue with reading your sources if you have some links please share.

my mosque does not seem to care about the different branches everyone is so cool and they are all different and I had at least 5 guys talk to me for over 30 minutes to an hour at different times between Prayers since I spent most of the day there.

I don't mind learning

The wikipedia link posted by DSWii60 is actually pretty good. I also have an article written by a sunni bro about shias and common misconceptions about us bookmarked on my other computer and when I get a chance, I'll definitely post it here.

Smiles and Cries said:
yeah a brother from Togo spent over an hour explaining things to me and this was one of his warnings to me he said this mosque has many cultures and to becareful that I do not take cultural habits as deen

:D man today was so fun!

whoa these guys eat a lot! and they frown at you a bit if you eat too little :)

So I had some food I am not sure what it was or which country it was from but I was so relieved that it was pretty good and I was able to clear my plate. then after the last prayer and a guest lecturer about 20 large pizzas was shared with everyone.

I still cannot shake the amazement that people who would never have talked to me in normal life take the time to sit down with me and share about what Islam.

I even was forced to speak french today, something I rarely do.

The Iman is a young looking man from Jordan he seem to have a good sense of humor. Most of the brothers seem to have love jokes. I saw the Iman playing some Martial Arts with his son between prayers, he really kicked the kid with a full contact roundhouse kick! I was kinda surprised :lol (his son made a good block though)

The brother from Togo did not believe my age at first so he asked if I was serious. After that he told me I should marry... shrug:

Man, the mosque you went to sounds so cool haha

I wish my Islamic center wasn't filled with old farts who don't care about younger people (although there are some adults who are trying to change that).

AmMortal

Banned
DSWii60 said:

Edit: Just saw the above post.

I suppose this is a decent start although it only talks about my type of Shias or "Twelvers" as we're sometimes referred to and may not be entirely accurate.

Brother, I think that what the brothers might have forgot to point out, is that there are various sects within Shia, that might resort to this. However, yes, I fully agree with you on that shias, in general don't hold that view at all and it would be a presumption not based on any fact to say this.

With the people of the Sunnah, it's that they do not hold any non-Prophet equal to a prophet, for instance, in Shia it is common to say Ali (a.s) meaning Peace be upon him. As is widely known, this is a right, exclusive to Prophets, of which one should avoid atrributing to other men. This is what the people of the sunnah hold, no equality to Allah, and no equality of normal men to Prophets. When people of the Sunnah, refer to the companions of the Prophet, it is an obligation to say to say, radi Allahu 'Anhu, meaning may Allah be pleased with them.

However, I fully agree, one should go to the unbaised sources, and draw a conclusion for one's self.

:)

DSWii60

AmMortal said:
Brother, I think that what the brothers might have forgot to point out, is that there are various sects within Shia, that might resort to this. However, yes, I fully agree with you on that shias, in general don't hold that view at all and it would be a presumption not based on any fact to say this.

Well said, but I just want to point out one thing. The people who believe these things aren't Shia because they're not even Muslim. How can you be Muslim and believe that there was someone superior to the Holy Prophet in terms of piety? These people may want to call themselves Shia but please don't legitimise them by calling them Shia.

With the people of the Sunnah, it's that they do not hold any non-Prophet equal to a prophet, for instance, in Shia it is common to say Ali (a.s) meaning Peace be upon him. As is widely known, this is a right, exclusive to Prophets, of which one should avoid atrributing to other men. This is what the people of the sunnah hold, no equality to Allah, and no equality of normal men to Prophets. When people of the Sunnah, refer to the companions of the Prophet, it is an obligation to say to say, radi Allahu 'Anhu, meaning may Allah be pleased with them.

So I'm guessing I shouldn't say Salamun Alaykum to you seeing as it means "Peace be upon you" and you are but a normal man :p

Shia and Sunni will always have their differences but what is most important is that we stand together and not against each other. We are all Muslims and that's what's most important.

AmMortal

Banned
DSWii60 said:
Well said, but I just want to point out one thing. The people who believe these things aren't Shia because they're not even Muslim. How can you be Muslim and believe that there was someone superior to the Holy Prophet in terms of piety? These people may want to call themselves Shia but please don't legitimise them by calling them Shia.

So I'm guessing I shouldn't say Salamun Alaykum to you seeing as it means "Peace be upon you" and you are but a normal man :p

Shia and Sunni will always have their differences but what is most important is that we stand together and not against each other. We are all Muslims and that's what's most important.

I couldn't agree more :)

why do all muslims I have met tell me that Islam is easy, but I find learning to memorize and recite surah Al-Fatiha so challenging?

I am struggling a bit about it when I found out prayers are invalid without them.

I woke up at 4am today and walked to mosque around 5am.
An elder african brother started to teach me how to pray. He was not one of those who believed in taking things slow other brothers came by and told him this was too much at once but he told them I could do it. It took a lot because I felt really stupid for having such a hard time remembering. I felt like I was a baby learing to talk but I tried to humble myself since he was only trying to help and I accepted his offer to teach me everyday. Although it is kind of intimidating to have an older man telling you repeat after me since I just don't want to mess up since he is willing to invest the time to teach me.

Still the words enter my mind and I hear myself reciting them but give me two minutes and I have forgotten them. I know this is a test from Allah to see if I am serious. So I have been spending hours just reciting the Al-Fatiha

it is really beautiful though I checked youtube for it and it sounds like a song but it sound different from video to video due to little diffences in the voices reciting it.

I hope this can become second nature by the end of the month because I am really worried about my ability to remember things.

change is good :D

DarkWish

Smiles and Cries said:
why do all muslims I have met tell me that Islam is easy, but I find learning to memorize and recite surah Al-Fatiha so challenging?

I am struggling a bit about it when I found out prayers are invalid without them.

I woke up at 4am today and walked to mosque around 5am.
An elder african brother started to teach me how to pray. He was not one of those who believed in taking things slow other brothers came by and told him this was too much at once but he told them I could do it. It took a lot because I felt really stupid for having such a hard time remembering. I felt like I was a baby learing to talk but I tried to humble myself since he was only trying to help and I accepted his offer to teach me everyday. Although it is kind of intimidating to have an older man telling you repeat after me since I just don't want to mess up since he is willing to invest the time to teach me.

Still the words enter my mind and I hear myself reciting them but give me two minutes and I have forgotten them. I know this is a test from Allah to see if I am serious. So I have been spending hours just reciting the Al-Fatiha

it is really beautiful though I checked youtube for it and it sounds like a song but it sound different from video to video due to little diffences in the voices reciting it.

I hope this can become second nature by the end of the month because I am really worried about my ability to remember things.

change is good :D
It may be tough at first, simply because you may seem overwhelmed. But really, it's not too hard. You just have to memorize a few surahs for your prayer. Yes, it's going to take some time, but once you have it down, it'll really become second nature. One thing my Dad did when I was little was everytime we would drive somewhere, he would teach me a verse from a surah on the way. After a while, I learned a bunch of surahs that way. Now everytime I get in the car, I recite a bunch of surahs first and then drive wherever I need to. Just try practicing whenever you get a chance, and eventually it'll become easy.

plovie

effingvic said:

Incredible; I posted 4 different translations of the QURAN, the same Quran for all cultures, demonstrating the oppressive attitude of Islam towards women and you people still brush that aside. Apparently these four authors from widely different times and places have all committed the exact same errors in translating the exact same word the exact same way, because they all have the exact same cultural bias?

The power of denial is an incredible thing.

ymmv

Banned
plovie said:
Incredible; I posted 4 different translations of the QURAN, the same Quran for all cultures, demonstrating the oppressive attitude of Islam towards women and you people still brush that aside. Apparently these four authors from widely different times and places have all committed the exact same errors in translating the exact same word the exact same way, because they all have the exact same cultural bias?

The power of denial is an incredible thing.

Islam is about submission, not about being a rational human being. It's about blindly following laws that hardly made sense in a middle eastern desert culture 1500 years ago, let alone in this rational secular 21st century.

Chipopo

Banned
ymmv said:
Islam is about submission, not about being a rational human being. It's about blindly following laws that hardly made sense in a middle eastern desert culture 1500 years ago, let alone in this rational secular 21st century.

Which is why it's absolutely hilarious to see Muslims in this thread bending over backwards in an attempt to conform their religion with contemporary ideals. It's an absurd exercise.

Masenkame

Here come the trolls indeed...
13.gif

ymmv said:

I wouldn't say they hardly made sense in a 7th century context. Islam did give women and minorities equality and rights, albeit in very strained ways. But you're right, it's very backwards compared with secular thought these days. This is the 21st century after all!

Duck Amuck(Himuro!) and Smiles and Cries, I don't want to prejudge you guys too much, but it seems to me you guys are attracted to Islam because you feel that it can bring order to your lives, as well as any lacking you feel spiritually. Islam certainly is orderly, as it ascertains to control the majority of a Muslim's life. Praying five times a day, spoken prayers during and after almost everything you do, washing rituals before prayer, Friday sermons and prayers, and it goes on. Not to say that other religions aren't similar in this regard, but Islam followed properly is much more time intensive than a full-time job. As your fellow Muslims have said in this thread: It is a way of life, and right they are. If it makes you guys happy and content, no problem. Please feel free to clear up any misconceptions I've made about you guys.

I've been reading Arabic since I was very young, as I was enrolled in mosque school(madrassa, at the masjid!) for over a decade while still going to regular secular school. I do still remember everything I was taught, so I can pretend to be a Muslim if I so wish :D . During my early to mid-teens, I actually had memorize the last Juz of the Qur'an, usually referred to as Juz' Amma. I've forgotten most of the Surahs now, and I can only recall the last 16 Surahs of the Qur'an, and they're all really short.

My mom made sure we knew how to read the Qur'an, and in traditional Pakistani culture, the children had to finish reading it fully at least once. Though we didn't have to understand it, that part came after and was optional really. We learned Islam through Imams, many teachers, parents, and friends over the years. As well as our own studies of Qur'an and hadith of course.

thesoapster said:
I have a question...

According to the Quran, who was Ishmael's mother?

All three Abrahamic faiths seem to claim he was born of Hagar(Hajar in Islam), but Sarah's son according to the law. The rivalry between Judaism and Islam over Abraham's sons is quite amusing.

Chipopo said:
Which is why it's absolutely hilarious to see Muslims in this thread bending over backwards in an attempt to conform their religion with contemporary ideals. It's an absurd exercise.

Oh yeah, moderate and liberal Muslims do have a hard time reconciling their beliefs with modernity, so they'll rationalize a lot of things away. I had a problem with this for many years before coming to grips with the fact that I didn't have to believe all this supernatural stuff. For so long I believed Islam was a religion of peace and equality for all, and I was so proud to be part of it for those reasons. I was quite deluded to the reality. I mean, I had read Islamic and Arab history, knew what was in the Qur'an, knew what insanities were contained in Hadith, and yet I still rationalized it all away. I was the definition of cognitive dissonance, and compartmentalization of the brain.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
When I learned Al-Fatiha, I was trying to learn the Arabic alphabet, too. So every day when I got up and every night before I went to sleep I wrote it out in Arabic with the transliteration underneath. It made me have to think about the sounds of the words a little more (like, which "d" in maghdubi, etc) and helped me. Of course, I learn by reading and writing so if you're more of an auditory person maybe you should pick up a Yusuf Islam CD or summat.

So who's got tips for a sister going into an unfamiliar mosque for the first time? It may help to know I have mad social anxiety and can barely handle answering the phone.

There are lots of people who are teachers and models to me in my life, but I don't live near them at the moment. Also, nearly all of them are guys, and I'm not about to ask them to show me how to do my hair and shit. But I've never worn hijab, and I'm terrified of going into the one mosque I've been able to locate in my podunk area and being told I'm like, in the wrong room and get out of here you silly Irish girl. Maybe I should just like, "come out" to the Muslim guys who work the coffee shop near my work? I don't know, we don't even know each other's names.

Gah. I just want to move back home, where 'home' is any one of the three communities I feel I actually belong. :( Then I could figure out how to tie a bandanna properly. I should have asked my girl Noor when we lived in the same place. POUT

AmMortal

Banned
Ela Hadrun said:
When I learned Al-Fatiha, I was trying to learn the Arabic alphabet, too. So every day when I got up and every night before I went to sleep I wrote it out in Arabic with the transliteration underneath. It made me have to think about the sounds of the words a little more (like, which "d" in maghdubi, etc) and helped me. Of course, I learn by reading and writing so if you're more of an auditory person maybe you should pick up a Yusuf Islam CD or summat.

So who's got tips for a sister going into an unfamiliar mosque for the first time? It may help to know I have mad social anxiety and can barely handle answering the phone.

There are lots of people who are teachers and models to me in my life, but I don't live near them at the moment. Also, nearly all of them are guys, and I'm not about to ask them to show me how to do my hair and shit. But I've never worn hijab, and I'm terrified of going into the one mosque I've been able to locate in my podunk area and being told I'm like, in the wrong room and get out of here you silly Irish girl. Maybe I should just like, "come out" to the Muslim guys who work the coffee shop near my work? I don't know, we don't even know each other's names.

Gah. I just want to move back home, where 'home' is any one of the three communities I feel I actually belong. :( Then I could figure out how to tie a bandanna properly. I should have asked my girl Noor when we lived in the same place. POUT

I skimmed through this page, so apologies if this does not make sense.

A mosque is the friendliest place out there ( if the people there, don't have stupid prejudices). So I'd say, as you pointed out, try and find some sisters( make sure they're good people!). You should be fine though, new comers are always welcome at a mosque.

Top Bottom