• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Islamic Thread

Ydahs

I'll start it off by saying I'm Sunni!

This Shia hatred (in general) is quite appalling and is what is dividing the Muslim world in my eyes. I was shocked to find out how some of my Lebanese relatives view the Shia and how many misconceptions they believe. Studying Islamic History, I now know that what they say is false, but I cannot deny that some of the misconceptions are not really misconceptions at all with a minority Shia.

Now, Shia Muslims reading this, I am not trying to offend anyone. I know that for the majority of Shia followers, these misconceptions do not apply, but some do follow what you're saying they don't. But I'm sure it's only a minority.

Now I've got a question to my Shia brothers: as mentioned, I'm studying Islamic History and it's mainly from a Western viewpoint. We've learnt about the Imamate and what we've learnt is that Shias believe that Ali and his sons Hasan and Hussein, and the line of descendants are all infallible, meaning they are perfect in character. How is this viewpoint shared by Shias? I know there are many sects with different beliefs, but is this ideology widespread through Shiism or is it only a minority who share this viewpoint?

Oh, and what do you think of Muawiyah? I heard that most, if not all Shias see him as a horrible person, which is understandable if they do regard Ali as infallible. I'd like to hear what knowledgeable Shias think of Muawiyah!

Oh boy, what the hell happened here? Fellow Muslim brothers, look at the bright side of things. Eid is approaching. This Sunni/Shia argument is killing the thread and turning Muslim against Muslim!

ice cream

Banned
Well we know that 90% of muslims are sunni and shia'ism stared after Muhammad (pbuh) died. This shia and sunni thing is so stupid, in Islam we're not meant to have divides and groups, like I hate when people say I'm Suni/Shia, just say your Muslim FFS...
But anyway Muhammad was "sunni" so how can you argue with that?

DSWii60

ice cream said:

Huh?

Shias don't like Muawiyah at all. I would say most feel he was more after power than justice. This was probably best shown with the appoint of his son (who was not fit to lead - at least that's the way we see it) as his successor.

Twelver Shias do believe that all the Prophets, the 12 Imams and the Prophet's daughter Fatima (a.s.) are infallible. Infallible, not meaning that they're absolutely perfect, but rather that they did not commit any sins.

I'm not sure whether the other types of Shias believe in infallibility. The only other one I've actually encountered in practice is the Ismaili sect (split after the 6th Imam) and as far as I can tell, they too believe in infallibility, though I'm not sure so don't quote me on it.

Darackutny

Authentic Compilations of Hadith:

DSWii60 said:
References, of course, would be nice.

Did you really expect any less from someone as sadistic as I?!

A major difference between Shias and Sunnis which you fail to understand is the position on hadith. Whilst Sunnis have books that are regarded as "sahih" (all hadith contained in them are correct), Shias have no such books. You yourself said Sahih Bukhari was compiled a 100 years after the death of the Prophet so how can you claim that there is no chance an incorrect hadith might have slipped in there. I, on the other hand, do not claim Al-Kafi is perfect because it was compiled by a man not by Allah. Only the Quran is perfect.

If only I had a dirham every time I heard this argument regurgitated. Let me give you a brief history lesson of Sunni hadith compilation. Inshallah it will help you avoid making statements like these again.

What you are not aware of is that there are several "Saheeh" books written by Sunni scholars. For example, Saheeh Ibn Hibban and Saheeh Ibn Khuzaima. However, the reason that you don't hear of their books too often is because they haven't passed the test of authenticity. So, it isn't like Imam Bukhari and Imam Muslim just announced to the world that their books are authentic and that was the end of it. No, this is not the case. In reality, their books went through make critics and in the end, the majority of the scholars have agreed that their works are completely authentic. I say "majority" because there are some scholars out there that have a difference of opinion regarding a few of the hadiths in Saheeh Bukhari and Saheeh Muslim and consider them to be weak. I also would like to mention that Imam Muslim was so careful with including hadiths into his compilation that upon meeting Abu Zara'a Al-Razi, he took off several hadiths that Abu Zara'a considered objectionable. Check "Siyanat Saheeh Muslim" by Ibn Al-Salah for more about that.

As for Saheeh Al-Bukhari being compiled two hundred, not one hundred and don't misquote me, but two hundred years late, has no major affect on his work. You only assume that a two hundred year gap would destroy hadith literature because you are ignorant of science of hadith. You don't seem to be aware of the harsh conditions an authentic hadith requires in order for it to be considered as such.

Also, if you are planning to criticize Al-Bukhari for making his compilation that late, then you should flush all Shia hadith literature down the toilet since, as stated earlier, came into existence a couple of centuries later.

Oh, and one more thing since we are on the topic of authentic collections.

http://www.fadakbooks.com/sahihalkafi.html

Introducing SAHEEH Al-KAFI by Mohammed Al-Baqir Al-Bahbudi. Looks like Shias do have an authentic collection of hadith after all. However, don't be too hard on yourself. It isn't the end of the world. God forbid that you folks would have an authentic collection of narrations for you folks to learn your religion from. =p

This is a strange thing as well, since there were some Shia scholars from the past that believed that Al-Kafi, in its original form, before the editing out of "weak" hadiths by Al-Bahbudi was already 100% authentic. However, that is another topic for another time.

I'm just getting started, bebeh!

-------------------------------
-------------------------------

Scholars of Shiasm that Believed in the Fabrication of the Qur'an:

Al-Qumi:

Ali bin Ibrahim Al-Qumi is accepted among Shia scholars as one of the greatest scholars when it comes to the interpretation of the Qur'an. Al-Musawi Al-Jaza'iree praised this tafseer (book of Qur'anic interpretation) and says in his introduction to the book by Al-Qumi, "There is one last thing to make note of, which is that this tafseer, like other old tafseer books, includes narrations that allow us to conclude that the this (the Qur'an) which is between our hands, has been fabricated."

Al-Nuri Al-Tabrasi, the infamous author of Faslul Khitab (p.26) says, "…and the math-hab of the Shaikh Ali bin Ibrahim Al-Qumi in his tafseer is clear from his introduction, and filled his book with narrations about this (the issue of fabrication), while being sure to include only statements from authentic sources and his own sheikhs."

Anyways, none of that is important without some meat. So, check out what Al-Qumi includes in his exegesis of 3:110.

http://altafsir.org/Tafasir.asp?tMa...raNo=3&tAyahNo=110&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0

قوله: { كنتم خير أمة أخرجت للناس } وحدثني أبي عن ابن أبي عمير عن ابن سنان قال قرئت عند أبي عبدالله عليه السلام: { كنتم خير أمة أخرجت للناس } فقال أبو عبدالله عليه السلام: { خير أمة } يقتلون أمير المؤمنين والحسن والحسين عليهم السلام؟ فقال القاري جعلت فداك كيف نزلت؟ قال نزلت { كنتم خير أئمة أخرجت للناس } ألا ترى مدح الله لهم: { تأمرون بالمعروف وتنهون عن المنكر وتؤمنون بالله }

In a nutshell the statement of "Ye are the best community that hath been raised up for mankind," has been fabricated according to Al-Qumi, and was actually "Ye are the best IMAMS that hath been raised up for mankind."

The next verse is 4:166:

http://altafsir.org/Tafasir.asp?tMa...raNo=4&tAyahNo=166&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0

قوله: { لكن الله يشهد بما أنزل اليك أنزله بعلمه } فإنه حدثني أبي عن ابن أبي عمير عن أبي بصير عن أبي عبدالله عليه السلام قال إنما أنزلت { لكن الله يشهد بما أنزل إليك في علي أنزله بعلمه والملائكة يشهدون وكفى بالله شهيداً }

In this one, Al-Qumi narrates a hadith that says, "But Allah (Himself) testifieth concerning that which He hath revealeth unto thee; in His knowledge hath He revealed it; and the angels also testify. And Allah is sufficient Witness," was originally "But Allah (Himself) testifieth concerning that which He hath revealeth unto thee about Ali; in His knowledge hath He revealed it; and the angels also testify. And Allah is sufficient Witness."

Awesomeness…

Al-Kulayni:

Al-Kafi, which was at one time considered to be the most authentic book among Shias was written by Al-Kulayni, as you are most likely aware. I am sure that you already know that his book is filled with hadiths that clearly show that the Qur'an has been fabricated. However, you have said earlier that this is not an issue, since Al-Kafi is a collection of hadiths, but not necessarily reflect the view of the author. Even though this statement is true in some cases, there are other reasons to believe that Al-Kulayni did believe in the fabrication of the Qur'an. One of them is that the fact that there are no hadiths in his book that prove otherwise. When we only find hadiths that prove that the Qur'an has been tampered with, and not the other way around, we can only assume that this reflects the view of the author.

The second proof is the fact that one of the chapters, which are labeled by Al-Kulayni himself, is titled the chapter of "The Qur'an has Never Been Completely Collected with the Exception of the Imams".

http://www.alseraj.net/maktaba/kotob/hadith/kafi1/html/ara/books/al-kafi-1/99.html

Al-Nuri Al-Tabrisi says in Faslil Khitab (p.27) that "it is apparent from his labeling of the chapter what he believes, for the teachings of the scholars of the past (especially in hadith) is known through the names of the chapters."

Next!

Al-Majlisi:

Al-Majlisi, the author of Bihar Al-Anwar, and Mir'aatul Uqool, is truly a fascinating character. His views of the subject are the most clear out of the three. In fact, he authenticated the following hadith, #28 in Al-Kafi under the Nawadir chapter:

علي بن الحكم، عن هشام بن سالم(2)، عن أبي عبدالله عليه السلام قال: إن القرآن الذي جاء به جبرئيل عليه السلام إلى محمد صلى الله عليه وآله سبعة عشر ألف آية.
http://www.alseraj.net/maktaba/kotob/hadith/kafi2/html/ara/books/al-kafi-2/279.html
"Abi Abdillah said, 'The Qur'an when revealed by Gabriel, to Mohammed, was seventeen thousand verses long.'"
Not only does he authenticate it, but he also says,

فالخبر صحيح و لا يخفى أن هذا الخبر و كثير من الأخبار الصحيحة صريحة في نقص القرآن و تغييره

"This statement is true, and it is clear that this narration and others like it affirm that the Qur'an is missing verses and it is altered."

So, according to Al-Majlisi, who is arguably, the greatest Shia hadith scholar known, the Qur'an is missing more than half of its verses due to fabrication.

------------------------------
------------------------------

Intercession:

In any case, this not just a Shia belief. Hanafis also allow intercession:

Mashallah, there is no doubt that the Hanafis have a great weight in Sunnism. We accept the views of all the great Hanafi scholars, from Abu Hanifa, Abu Yusuf, to Ibn Abi Al-Ezz. However, the junk that I see before me is not the work of a Sunni scholar, but of a Maturidi. If you are interested in learning more about Maturidis, then I suggest that you google the term "Maturidi".

Also, from that which you have quoted, the only thing that requires an answer is the hadith from Al-Tabarani:

Moreover, Imam Tabrani relates in his al-Mu’jam al-Kabir reporting from the same Uthman ibn Hunaif (Allah be pleased with him) that a person repeatedly visited him concerning something he needed, but Uthman paid no attention to him. The man met his son and complained to him about the matter- this was after the death of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) and after the eras of Sayyiduna Abu Bakr and Sayyiduna Umar (Allah be pleased with them)- so Uthman (who collected Hadith and was from the learned) said : “Go to the place of Wudu, then come to the Masjid, perform two Rak’ats and then say : “O Allah!, I ask you and turn to you through our Prophet Muhammad, the Prophet of Mercy. O Muhammad! I turn through you to my lord, that He fulfil my need”....... until the end of the Hadith.

This is an explicit and clear text from a Companion (sahabi) proving the legal validity of Tawassul through the dead. The Hadith has been classed as authentic (Sahih) by al-Bayhaqi, Mundhiri, al-Haythami and many others.

Blah blah blah… Lies lies lies… I've heard this junk before and I've personally looked through Dala'il Al-Nubuwa by Al-Bayhaqi. (Hadith # 2416) No, he does NOT state that this hadith is authentic. (Screenshots can be provided if you require them) I don't know where to look for Al-Munthiree or Al-Haythamis "authentications", but I can only assume that those are false until proven otherwise.

In any case, Al-Albani (Al-Tawasul, 83) and Shaikh Muqbil (Al-Shafa'a, 189) have already weakened the hadith.

-------------------------
-------------------------

ٍStuff:

DSWii60 said:
"Oh, I don't mind stopping. Just so long as you shut up and let me get away with saying what I want about Shia'ism." That's the undiluted version of what you're trying to say.

You may notice this is the Official Islam Thread. Last I checked we were all Muslims so we're all allowed to contribute in any way we like. It's upto others to decide whether they agree with us or not.

You'll notice that until you came along, this thread was going along nicely with the new Muslims asking questions, getting them answered, and being exposed to different points of views, but ultimately making up their own minds. You've managed to destroy that and spectularly turn us against each other by bringing up completely incorrect views about Shia'ism.

Debating in circles is boring, so I gave up half way through replying to your post. You're clearly never going to change your perception of Shia'ism, but if anyone else has any question I'd be happy to clear anything up.

Whatever… Bring facts and references. I am not interested in your opinion or the opinions of random Sunni websites or Mohammed Adam the Maturidi, whoever the hell he is.

Also, for all of those that cry about unity, all I have to say that I will choose truth over unity any day of the week. I'm not compromise or alter my beliefs in order to satisfy Shias or anyone else. The only middle ground I see is the following:

3:64

"Say: O People of the Scripture! Come to an agreement between us and you: that we shall worship none but Allah, and that we shall ascribe no partner unto Him, and that none of us shall take others for lords beside Allah. And if they turn away, then say: Bear witness that we are they who have surrendered (unto Him)."

My idea of a middle ground is just that! A middle ground where I don't compromise any of my values or beliefs.

Truth > Unity.

ice cream said:

Smartest thing I've heard all week. =)

Duck Amuck said:
What the heck is going on here

I happened.

Zapages

icarus-daedelus said:
Nah, you're not alone. I ducked out when I saw this thread was heading towards a debate over sexism in religion. Those things never end well :p

Ditto that sentiments... But I am more knowledge about of Caliphate/rise/fall/political/revival movements in Islam..

So let's change topics. I am going to studying for finals after Eid Prayers, so what is everyone else doing after Eid prayers? *inshallah*

Yazan

Zapages said:
Ditto that sentiments... But I am more knowledge about of Caliphate/rise/fall/political/revival movements in Islam..

So let's change topics. I am going to studying for finals after Eid Prayers, so what is everyone else doing after Eid prayers? *inshallah*

I am having a little test during the eid prayers, but considering skipping it to go the mosque instead. When you live alone, the eid prayers is the only time you feel like it's eid.

Linkhero1

Someone explain Predetermination. I don't understand it that well and when someone explains it to me, I still don't understand it. Also I want to know about Time and it's relevance in Islam.

Darackutny

Update:

I just found the hadith that is quoted by the Maturidi in the Hanafi website from Al-Haythami in Mujma'a Al-Fawa'id (#3668) and Al-Munthiree's Al-Targheeb wal Tarheeb (#1018). Neither of the two authenticate the hadith. Once again, screen shots will be provided upon request. So much for linking others to credible websites...

DSWii60

Zapages said:

Good idea. I'd rather do that than go over the same arguments again and again.

I'm going to go to my grandparents house, meet up with all my cousins, aunts and uncles and eat loads :D. Probably do something with my friends aswell, not sure what yet.

DSWii60

Linkhero1 said:
Someone explain Predetermination. I don't understand it that well and when someone explains it to me, I still don't understand it. Also I want to know about Time and it's relevance in Islam.

Well, I'll give it a go.

Allah is omniscient. Hence, He knows everything that has happened, is happening and will happen. Now because Allah knows everything that will happen, some people claim that our actions are predetermined as Allah already knows what we are going to do. I would argue that although Allah knows what we are going to do, He is not forcing us to do so, we choose whatever we like, but Allah already knows our choices.

I hope that makes sense and I hope it helps.

Darackutny

DSWii60 said:
Good idea. I'd rather do that than go over the same arguments again and again.

=

"Sure, let us change the subject since I can't respond to all that."

----------

Don't bother to ask for references if you are going to shrug everything off next time. =)

AmMortal

Banned
DSWii60 said:
Well, I'll give it a go.

Allah is omniscient. Hence, He knows everything that has happened, is happening and will happen. Now because Allah knows everything that will happen, some people claim that our actions are predetermined as Allah already knows what we are going to do. I would argue that although Allah knows what we are going to do, He is not forcing us to do so, we choose whatever we like, but Allah already knows our choices.

I hope that makes sense and I hope it helps.

Spot on.

DSWii60

Darackutny said:
=

"Sure, let us change the subject since I can't respond to all that."

----------

Don't bother to ask for references if you are going to shrug everything off next time. =)

I've responded to you many times. You haven't addressed some of my points. I was going to reply to your references but the consensus it seems is to change topic to a different one so I stopped half way through making my last post.

AmMortal

Banned
Okay guys, I think we need to chill out :)

Both camps made good arguments, let's chill out and have some good Eid bro's!

Eid mubarak already :)

Darackutny

DSWii60 said:
I've responded to you many times. You haven't addressed some of my points. I was going to reply to your references but the consensus it seems is to change topic to a different one so I stopped half way through making my last post.

ِOh? Well, if I did, then I apologize. I must've overlooked them. Which did I miss out in particular?

DSWii60

Darackutny said:
ِOh? Well, if I did, then I apologize. I must've overlooked them. Which did I miss out in particular?

Don't worry. I'd rather we moved on. I probably missed some of your points aswell.

Eid Mubarak :D

DSWii60

So, new topic.

How do you guys think people should get married? Arranged, or by finding someone for yourself, or some combination of the two?

AmMortal

Banned
DSWii60 said:
So, new topic.

How do you guys think people should get married? Arranged, or by finding someone for yourself, or some combination of the two?

Dunno, actually I'm interested in that :p

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
DSWii60 said:
So, new topic.

Definitely combination, we can let the hindus keep arranged marriage, but relatives can give you suggestions and in the end, it should be your choice(as well as the other person's) as you're the one that's gonna spend the rest of your life with them, not your parents or other relatives.

DSWii60

GSG Flash said:
Definitely combination, we can let the hindus keep arranged marriage, but relatives can give you suggestions and in the end, it should be your choice(as well as the other person's) as you're the one that's gonna spend the rest of your life with them, not your parents or other relatives.

The way it's probably going to work with me is my parents / family will suggest different girls to me. If I'm interested, they'll approach on my behalf. Then I'll get to know the girl better and if we decide to marry then we will. Ultimate decision is mine and the girl's.

Ydahs

DSWii60 said:
Huh?

Shias don't like Muawiyah at all. I would say most feel he was more after power than justice. This was probably best shown with the appoint of his son (who was not fit to lead - at least that's the way we see it) as his successor.

Twelver Shias do believe that all the Prophets, the 12 Imams and the Prophet's daughter Fatima (a.s.) are infallible. Infallible, not meaning that they're absolutely perfect, but rather that they did not commit any sins.

I'm not sure whether the other types of Shias believe in infallibility. The only other one I've actually encountered in practice is the Ismaili sect (split after the 6th Imam) and as far as I can tell, they too believe in infallibility, though I'm not sure so don't quote me on it.
Thank you. Your perspective of things seems to be inline with what Western Historians think of Shias. I just wanted to know what Shias belief through the mouth of a Shia, not a Westerner who can have some biases.

As for Muawiyah, I have to disagree with your viewpoint, but that's not for this thread :)

Not having a choice in who you marry is against Islam, so I'd rather choose my own partner, but I'd likely seek advise from my parents becuase they know what's best for me.

Salaams brothers

I have a question, is there a place in the Qu'ran that says there is a reward for changing your name as a convert/revert?

Also is there a place in the Qu'ran that says taking the name of the prophets is even better?

I believe changing the name is not required but I do want to change my name because when I search my real name on google now I get over 10,000 results of my old works, Art paintings of nude women and romantic poetry that does not really fit my new life... take it from me I was as artisticly perverted as PRINCE (who was my hero) So I would like to make a new start with a new name but I am taking it very slow since I will be stuck with this name legally since I want it changed in court.

So the reason for the questions are partly due to this... brothers at the masjid seem to love Prophet names... Carlos who reverted a week before I did changed his name to Muhammad Isa! which I thought was pretty cool.

I have decided on my final name today but I want to run it by the iman just to double check if its cool with Islamic law or what not.

Here is where I draw the line how come the image (cartoon) of Muhammad is forbidden (haram) but anyone can name themselves after the Messenger (pbuh) ??

If his image is forbidden why not go one step extra and forbid his name from being taken? I mean you have the name Muhammad pastered on Fox News and CNN every week some stupid fool blows something up or kills a dozen people. Does that not damage the image of the Messenger (pbuh) greater than a cartoon?

I would like to see a law passed banning the naming yourself after Prophets if you cannot live up to you namesake (at least not do something so evil against it) you should not name yourself after them.

please post anything in the Qu'ran encouraging this or answer the rewards questions for me.

I know maybe my point is silly if the Qu'ran supports it. But if it does not and this is only a tradition then it should end.

I was told by a few brothers that God made it impossible for the Prophet to sin. (I have not read this for myself so I do not know how true this is for myself but I did believe what they told me) If so, why as humans who are still able to sins take on names that we cannot live up to? I wonder if I ask my bro Muhammad Isa if he feels he can live his life in a manner that will do these names justice? Am I being foolish thinking this? Since I guess one way of looking at it is that there is NO other god but ALLAH and banning prophet names would be too much like making them holy or divine or something, so who cares if we hurt the image of a prophet's name right? Well then that would take me back to the cartoon question, why in the world is it forbidden? So you cannot say we should not respect the names of the prophets...

100 years from now we will have so many images of criminals named Muhammad it will be so hard to raise your head up as a muslim.

still personally since I am changing my name I would like to avoid prophet names unless the Qu'ran has something encouraging it

Darackutny

Smiles and Cries said:
Salaams brothers

I have a question, is there a place in the Qu'ran that says there is a reward for changing your name as a convert/revert?

Wa alaykum alsalaaaam. =)

Akhi, before I go on, I would like to share a short story with you about a reoccuring thing I've been noticing on GAF. You see, I have a friend that once asked a shaikh if there was anything explicit in the Qur'an about the prohibition of smoking. The shaikh replied, "Before I do that, can you prove to me with the Qur'an that lettuce is permissible, or tomatoes, or potatoes for that matter?" Then he paused and said, "The Qur'an isn't some sort of menu of what can be and what cannot be eaten." Then he went on to explain that much of the religion is based on verses that speak about generalities. For example the verse that states, "and be not cast by your own hands to ruin" can be applied to the prohibition of anything that can be harmful to you, including smoking and alcohol.

Personally, I would also like to add that the Qur'an itself points us to the hadith for an explanation of what can be found in the Qur'an. Especially since specifics can be found in the hadith while generalities can be found in the Qur'an.

Well, to answer your question, no, there is nothing about that in the Qur'an, however, we do know that the Prophet used to change the names of some of his companions. Of course, there names were very Arabic, but they just held negative meanings. Harb (war) was a very popular name in pre-Islamic Arabia and the Prophet gave that man the name Silm (peace). Of course, there was also an occasion where a companion would reject a new name since it was given to him by his parents.

Also is there a place in the Qu'ran that says taking the name of the prophets is even better?

The only narration that comes to mind about better names is the following one:

"The dearest names to Allah are Abdullah (Abd Allah) and Abdur Rahman. Harith and Hamam are names which reflect truthfulness."

As for naming yourself after a prophet, I've heard that the companions avoided doing this and appeared to dislike it, even though there is nothing that shows that this action is prohibited. Interestingly enough, generations that soon followed did name their children after prophets. Names like Ishaaq (Isaac) and Ibrahim (Abraham) seemed to be the most popular, after Mohammed of course.

About the name Mohammed, there were companions that named their children that even while he was alive.

Permissibility of naming oneself Mohammed can be found in a hadith from Saheeh Bukhari: "Name yourselves with my name but do not name yourselves with my Kunya name (i.e. Abul Qasim)...."

A kunya is sort of like a nick name where one is referred to as the father or mother of someone. For example, Abu Abdullah, or Um Ahmad. The name of the Prophet's first son was Al Qasim, who died while he was very young. Therefore, Mohammed's kunya was Abul Qasim.

I have decided on my final name today but I want to run it by the iman just to double check if its cool with Islamic law or what not.

What about Muslim GAF?! =p

Here is where I draw the line how come the image (cartoon) of Muhammad is forbidden (haram) but anyone can name themselves after the Messenger (pbuh) ??

That one is kind of complicated. I suggest you look up Islamqa.com for answers regarding that one.

Good to see that you are being extra careful and serious with these things bro. Even though I disagree with you on some of your points, I will always favor the safer route over taking risks with these things.

Assalamu alaikum

thank you for the reply Darackutny. Your answers really helped me. :) seeing as that my beliefs were out of ignorance that was the main reason for asking questions... when ever I am frustrated over something I like to know why is that so?

I think you cleared things up nicely for me. So I do not think I will hold on strongly to my views of using the names when I understand a little better

as for my name it would be hard to ask muslim GAF

I'm not really that private so I can ask but GAF forum tends to result high on GOOGLE so if I type up a private subject here I am always shocked to see anyone with a google search reading it :D

anyway if I ask about my last name it should be fine. I will be droping my first name.

but I wanted to ask the Iman once again about my last, I think he told me it can be muslim but I told him the meaning still he gave me another meaning which I had forgotten.

Nazaire (is my last name from my mother) this is the french version of the the Nazario

from the latin meaning a person who is from Nazareth

latin Nazarius does not seem to have any connection with Nasir or Nazir so I wanted to see if I could find what other source the Iman may have been pointing to

I got discouraged a little today I may end up not changing my name at all... I cannot seem to find my way through this maybe I need to give it more time

Darackutny

Smiles and Cries said:
Assalamu alaikum

thank you for the reply Darackutny. Your answers really helped me. :) seeing as that my beliefs were out of ignorance that was the main reason for asking questions... when ever I am frustrated over something I like to know why is that so?

I think you cleared things up nicely for me. So I do not think I will hold on strongly to my views of using the names when I understand a little better

No problem akhi. Actually, I was glad you were asking these questions since it shows that you are very serious about following the religion... religiously. =p

A small word of advice. Always ask for references. =)

I got discouraged a little today I may end up not changing my name at all... I cannot seem to find my way through this maybe I need to give it more time

Hmm...? You sound disappointed. Did something happen? Also, changing your name, as others have mentioned is nice and all, especially since it would make you feel like you are starting a new life, but it is in no way obligatory. Plus, it isn't really a priority compared to other issues that a new Muslim would usually face.

Darackutny said:
No problem akhi. Actually, I was glad you were asking these questions since it shows that you are very serious about following the religion... religiously. =p

A small word of advice. Always ask for references. =)

Hmm...? You sound disappointed. Did something happen? Also, changing your name, as others have mentioned is nice and all, especially since it would make you feel like you are starting a new life, but it is in no way obligatory. Plus, it isn't really a priority compared to other issues that a new Muslim would usually face.

is just that the discussions always end up with suggestions of new muslim names that I did not even think about making the process daunting

well this is the easy issue... I would like to see some progress in it.

can I ask something how important is the masjid to a muslim I mean it seems that one can just stay home and pray but I have not been able to walk down to my local masjid due to hardships but still I have no idea about if I am even required to attend as often as I had been going

Oh I have two names I am thinking of... Taj (crown) because it reminds me of the week I reverted on Friday November 28

and Shariq (sunrise, brilliant, ray of light between two mountains)

Gomu Gomu

Smiles and Cries said:
I do not know when I would be able to afford to go but I hope one day I will be able to inshaAllah

Best thing about it, is that if you really wish for it, Allah makes it easier for you somehow ;)

good luck man.

Yeah I was reading you cannot have debts and go to Hajj

you would have to pay all your debts before Hajj for me that would be years of unpaid student loans and medical bills o_O

So I thought it would be hard to save $4,000 to $5,000 and go to Mecca but if debts have to be paid before hand yikes!

I do wish to go so I will keep researching it and trust Allah

Duck Amuck said:
Smiles and Cries how has your family reacted to your conversion?

My mother keeps bringing it up and she doesn't really support it. She keeps randomly saying,"I wish you were Christian, our whole family is Christian."

and gems like "There aren't many black Muslims." stuff like that. I think it's really funny, honestly.

I've just about memorized all parts of prayer, guys! Tomorrow I'm going to start memorizing a full Surah, if God wills. Any suggestions on what to memorize?

that is unfortunate, I have been learning about how highly important respecting parents are in Islam.

Sorry Duck I do not have a core family no mom or dad or anything like that. I told my godmother who raised me after my mom died that I was thinking about it during thanksgiving diner. I have not gone back to tell them I did it since I kind of want to avoid that house full of voodoo idols until my faith is much stronger.

I am starting to understand my prayers a bit better but I have not fully memorize them I will be so happy once I can pray normally with them memorized.

Duck this is your personal journey so I would not take it to heart what your family says to grind at you. If Christianity worked for you, you would not be a Muslim. Hold strong to your personal path, religion should not be a club you belong to it should be about what truth you are seeking in your life. Stay strong bro.

I learned that reverting to Islam is just a stepping stone... Now that you believe. Expect to be tested... your family and even your fellow muslim brothers will be used to test you. The more knowledge you attain the easier it is to stay focused during those test.

AmMortal posted a surah that he suggested for us to memorize a few pages back... sorry I am using Wii so I cannot copy paste it here.

you inspired me Duck so I pray you continue to grow in Islam and may Allah reward your efforts. Congrats on the prayers :D

Azih

Duck Amuck said:
Smiles and Cries how has your family reacted to your conversion?

My mother keeps bringing it up and she doesn't really support it. She keeps randomly saying,"I wish you were Christian, our whole family is Christian."

and gems like "There aren't many black Muslims." stuff like that. I think it's really funny, honestly.

I've just about memorized all parts of prayer, guys! Tomorrow I'm going to start memorizing a full Surah, if God wills. Any suggestions on what to memorize?

Surah tul Fatihah. The First Surah. You've probably have it memorized already as it's in the prayers.

Duck Amuck said:
I'm doing Al Fatiha now. I just have to remember it in Arabic which will probably be much harder than memorizing it in English. I mean something other than Al Fatiha. Don't you have to memorize Al Fatiha on top of another Surah?

yeah I am learning it in Arabic, I did not try to memorize it in english at all although it seems I just knew what it meant since I had the english there too

yes you have to learn other surahs you recite a second one after al fatiha for some prayers

AmMortal has something posted

I was told to memorize some shorter surahs that are near the last pages of the Qu'ran

I am taking it slow... (maybe too slow)

Allah knows best :)

AmMortal said:
Take out the Allahu Akbar, at end, put it before anything else. from step 1 on. start reciting Al-Fatiha from there on.

When you finish ( as the brothers might have told you) you can recited everything you want from the Qur'an. Everything you like. Try to memorize, surah Ikhlas( Sincerity):
Qul- Hu Allahu Ahad-
Allahu Samad-
Lam ya Lid wa lam yu lad-
wa lam yakun-
- lahu kufu'an ahad

And when you finish, say Allahu Akbar.And go on from there ( as the brothers might have taught you).

here is the post I was talking about

Linkhero1

Smiles and Cries said:
Duck Amuck

this is my favorite site to learn to recite my surahs
the first and important Al Fatihah
http://www.mounthira.com/learning/surah/001-al-fatihah/

to find others just click the "home" to go to the menu on the home page that offers other flash of other surahs :)
I use the same site. I'm an arab, yet I don't even know my own language :lol
pretty sad but I manage

Edit: I understand it and know how to speak but can't read at all. :(

Linkhero1 said:
pretty sad but I manage

well you are still one step ahead I would love to have that problem... I would love to speak and understand it in time Insha Allah

reading it seems pretty hard :D

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Linkhero1 said:
pretty sad but I manage

I'm the exact opposite (although I'm not Arab) :lol

I can read it, but damn if I know what the hell is coming out of my mouth.

Top Bottom