• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Islamic Thread

PHALESTINE said:
Nisar, do you believe Islam is a peaceful and Violent religion? or just violent? because by your logic, every religion of the book is peaceful and violent, if that's the case, well then we are on the same page.

It sounds funny to say that something is peaceful and violent at the same time, I prefer to word it this way: Islam has its peaceful parts and its violent parts and therefore it can not be considered a non violent religion.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Darackutny said:
^ I've linked you to a post in which I've proven that top Shia scholars believe that the Qur'an that we have today has been fabricated. How are our cores similar when you folks believe in that?

Shias also believe in the following:

- Resurrection during the end of times to fight along side the Mahdi
- Infallibility of the Twelve Imams
- Intercession through the dead
- The creation of the Qur'an
- The negation of the attributes of Allah

I don't have any issues with what Nizar has said, even though I disagree with what he is implying... and obviously, I've found your comment, that there is no difference between the core of our sects, more dangerous that all that Nizar has implied.

Did you just skip over the part where I said:

Please enlighten me, when it comes to the very basic roots(going more basic than the imams and the caliphs), what exactly is it that's different between sunni beliefs and shia beliefs?

Purposely or not? (I'm assuming the former)

Obviously the biggest difference between sunnis and shias is that shias believe in immamat, let's get that out of the way, but that's still not going down to the core beliefs.

By core beliefs I mean the 5 pillars of Islam(shahada, salat, zakat, fasting, and Hajj) plus the belief in the Quran as the final revelation and the belief in Qiyamah. To argue that shias don't believe in any of that would be just plain ignorant.

As for your "points":

Resurrection during the end of times to fight along side the Mahdi - Don't know where you're getting this from because it's the first time I've heard of this, in religious school the only thing I was taught was that the only time humans are getting resurrected is on the day of judgement and that's what I'm gonna stick with.

Infallibility of the Twelve Imams - Ok, but still not a very basic core aqidah to be considered a Muslim, if it was then shias wouldn't consider the majority of sunnis to be our brothers in faith, but we do so there goes your point.

Intercession through the dead - Again, not the basic core, you don't need to ask Imam Ali for help to be a shia Muslim.

The creation of the Qur'an - Not true and implying that it is should be considered trolling because that's basically what you're doing, some Shia scholars believe that the Quran is in an incorrect order but that's as far as it goes. If shias believed that the Quran was fabricated then they wouldn't read it so passionately, yet we do so there goes another point.

The negation of the attributes of Allah - Huh? No idea what you're implying here. If you're implying that we don't believe in the 99 names and attributes of Allah, then that's false. If you're implying that we don't believe in the twisted wahabbi belief that Allah has a human-like body and is currently sitting on his throne up in heaven, then yes we don't believe in a twisted humanization of god like that.

What I find dangerous is your hatred for shias, your wahabbi/salafi beliefs in general, and your eagerness to put Muslims down before putting people who attack Islam down. The fact that you don't have any issues with what Nizar is saying tells me, and hopefully every other muslim here, a ton about you.

Nizar said:
It sounds funny to say that something is peaceful and violent at the same time, I prefer to word it this way: Islam has its peaceful parts and its violent parts and therefore it can not be considered a non violent religion.

Holy hell what you are saying is what I was saying , I have no idea why you were arguing so much. When did any religion became peaceful or violent completely. Every single religion has the both sides including Islam. I guess discussion about that is over.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Nizar said:

Yes, its an oxymoron. lets leave things at that.

phalestine

aka iby.h
crazy monkey said:
Holy hell what you are saying is what I was saying , I have no idea why you were arguing so much. When did any religion became peaceful or violent completely. Every single religion has the both sides including Islam. I guess discussion about that is over.

Actually, I would word what you said differently. look up Jainism :)

PHALESTINE said:
check it, 005:032 - The killing of a human being - unless the human being was a murderer or to stop disorder of the land - is as if he killed all of mankind.

lol dude i see what you did there.

The full verse is:
"5:32 For that cause We decreed for the Children of Israel that whosoever killeth a human being for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind. Our messengers came unto them of old with clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty), but afterwards lo! many of them became prodigals in the earth."

The "children of Israel" = jews. This oh so peacefull verse of the koran does not apply to muslims.

And the next verse is;
5:33 The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom;

PHALESTINE said:
Actually, I would word what you said differently. look up Jainism :)

I am from India and from the state which has maximum amount of jains in the whole world. After the riot i went back to school the One of my friend who was jain easily said in front of me what he did with Hindu friends during Riot and it was not good. Jain population mixes too well with Hindu in India.

Jain population is also not huge. I talked about the main 4 religion population wise Islam, Christianity, Jewish, and Hinduism.

But you are right Jain are suppose to be most non violent.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Steppenwolf said:
lol dude i see what you did there.

The full verse is:
"5:32 For that cause We decreed for the Children of Israel that whosoever killeth a human being for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind. Our messengers came unto them of old with clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty), but afterwards lo! many of them became prodigals in the earth."

The "children of Israel" = jews. This oh so peacefull verse of the koran does not apply to muslims.

And the next verse is;
5:33 The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom;

And here I thought it was done.

Alright, 005:032, why was it in the Quran? Whats in the Quran is the words of god. doesnt matter who he is addressing.

And 005:033, well yeah, some one makes war with you, you just sit there and take it right?

Also, a free tip, don't read sites that main agenda is to make Obama look bad :).

PHALESTINE said:
:( don't leave me confused, why are you speechless?

You believe in the koran right? So when god explicitely makes a law for a certain group of people why would you bend his rule in order to make yourself look better? Isn't that even a big sin in your religion?

Now that I have discussed why one can not call Islam a non violent religion:

In Islam, Allah asks the Prophet Mohammad and his followers in the Quran to perform their duty and commit violent acts against the nonmuslims. Whether this violence is justified, need or accepted it does not change the fact that it is violence.

Now no matter how much of Islams teachings are peaceful, a part of it is violent, and no matter how small that part is it still exists, and the fact that the peaceful part of Islam outweighs the violent part it does not eliminate it.
Therefore one can not call Islam a non violent religion.

I would like to discuss why one can call Islam a violent religion:

peace⋅ful [pees-fuhl] –adjective
1. Characterized by peace; free from war, strife, commotion, violence, or disorder: a peaceful reign; a peaceful demonstration.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/peaceful

The definition says it all, being peaceful is being violence free, the fact that violence exists in Islam makes Islam a non peaceful religion.

Now the fact that peacefulness (a positive) has no effect on violence (a negative), one can call Islam a violent religion for it has its violent parts, for the existence of the peaceful parts does not cancel out the violent parts.

But one can not call it peaceful, for violence existence in something cancels out immediately its description as peaceful.

GSG Flash

Nizar said:

In Islam, Allah asks the Prophet Mohammad and his followers in the Quran to perform their duty and commit violent acts against the nonmuslims. Whether this violence is justified, need or accepted it does not change the fact that it is violence.

Now no matter how much of Islams teachings are peaceful, a part of it is violent, and no matter how small that part is it still exists, and the fact that the peaceful part of Islam outweighs the violent part it does not eliminate it.

1. Characterized by peace; free from war, strife, commotion, violence, or disorder: a peaceful reign; a peaceful demonstration.

The definition says it all, being peaceful is being violence free, the fact that violence exists in Islam makes Islam a non peaceful religion.

Now the fact that peacefulness (a positive) has no effect on violence (a negative), one can call Islam a violent religion for it has its violent parts, for the existence of the peaceful parts does not cancel out the violent parts.

But one can not call it peaceful, for violence existence in something cancels out immediately its description as peaceful.

Just wondering, but would you consider democracy a violent and oppressive political ideology?

phalestine

aka iby.h
Steppenwolf said:
You believe in the koran right? So when god explicitely makes a law for a certain group of people why would you bend his rule in order to make yourself look better? Isn't that even a big sin in your religion?

Well, it doesnt say ONLY the Children of Isreal, it says

[005:032] We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our apostles with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land.

so I dont get what you are getting at.

ALSO, don't assume that I believe in the Qur'an.

GSG Flash said:
Just wondering, but would you consider democracy a violent and oppressive political ideology?

Democracy, unlike Islam, is not based on a book that preaches and asks its followers to commit violence in its name, so no I do not consider it violent.

It can be misused and lead to violence somehow, don't ask me how? but that doesn't mean that democracy as an ideology is violent.

However, I consider James Bond movies violent although they carry their good share of peace, love, respect and loyalty.

PHALESTINE said:
Nisar, do you believe Islam is a peaceful and Violent religion? or just violent? because by your logic, every religion of the book is peaceful and violent, if that's the case, well then we are on the same page.

crazy monkey said:

Do you still agree with me that Islam is a non peaceful and violent religion [read this response] ?

can't talk about other muslims but my people's islam has always been peaceful.

from wiki:

The Alevi (Turkish: Alevi; Zazaki and Kurdish: Elewî) are a religious, sub-ethnic and cultural community in Turkey, numbering in the tens of millions.

Key Alevi characteristics include:

* Love and respect for all people (“The important thing is not religion, but being a human being”)
* Tolerance towards other religions and ethnic groups (“If you hurt another person, the ritual prayers you have done are counted as worthless”)
* Respect for working people ("The greatest act of worship is to work”)
* Equality of men and women, who pray side by side. Monogamy is practiced.

Alevism is a unique sect of Twelver Shi‘a Islam, as Alevis accept Twelver Shi‘i beliefs about Ali and the Twelve Imams. Some Alevis are uncomfortable describing themselves as orthodox Shi‘i, since there are major differences in philosophy, customs, and rituals from the prevailing form of Shi‘ism in Iraq and modern Iran. Nonetheless, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini decreed Alevis to be part of the traditional Shi'a fold in the 1970s. Alevism is also closely related to the Bektashi Sufi lineage, in the sense that both venerate Hajji Bektash Wali (Turkish: Hacibektaş Veli), a saint of the 13th century. Many Alevis refer to an "Alevi-Bektashi" tradition, but this identity is not universally accepted, nor is the combined name used by non-Turkish Bektashis (e.g., in the Balkans). In addition to its religious aspect, Alevism is also closely associated with Anatolian folk culture.Modern Alevi theology has been profoundly influenced by humanism and universalism.

NonexistentK said:

from wiki:

The Alevi (Turkish: Alevi; Zazaki and Kurdish: Elewî) are a religious, sub-ethnic and cultural community in Turkey, numbering in the tens of millions.

* Love and respect for all people (“The important thing is not religion, but being a human being”)
* Tolerance towards other religions and ethnic groups (“If you hurt another person, the ritual prayers you have done are counted as worthless”)

Alevism is a unique sect of Twelver Shi‘a Islam, as Alevis accept Twelver Shi‘i beliefs about Ali and the Twelve Imams. Some Alevis are uncomfortable describing themselves as orthodox Shi‘i, since there are major differences in philosophy, customs, and rituals from the prevailing form of Shi‘ism in Iraq and modern Iran. Nonetheless, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini decreed Alevis to be part of the traditional Shi'a fold in the 1970s. Alevism is also closely related to the Bektashi Sufi lineage, in the sense that both venerate Hajji Bektash Wali (Turkish: Hacibektaş Veli), a saint of the 13th century. Many Alevis refer to an "Alevi-Bektashi" tradition, but this identity is not universally accepted, nor is the combined name used by non-Turkish Bektashis (e.g., in the Balkans). In addition to its religious aspect, Alevism is also closely associated with Anatolian folk culture.Modern Alevi theology has been profoundly influenced by humanism and universalism.

Do you believe that the Quran carries the true words of god, unedited and saved in the perfect form?

phalestine

aka iby.h
Nizar said:
Do you still agree with me that Islam is a non peaceful and violent religion [read this response] ?

I cant really give you a Yes or No answer. I believe that Islam has its violent parts and peaceful. And since it has some violent parts, you really cant call it a peaceful religion, and you really cant call it a violent religion either.
And the title isnt just exclusive to Islam.

Nizar said:
Do you believe that the Quran carries the true words of god, unedited and saved in the perfect form?
According to Alevis, the Koran should be interpreted esoterically, inwardly, or mystically (batıni yorum). For them, there are much deeper spiritual truths in the Koran than the strict rules and regulations that appear on the literal surface (zahiri yorum).

GSG Flash

NonexistentK said:

from wiki:

Correction, Ayatullah Khomenei didn't designate Alevis as shias, but rather just as Muslims. I wouldn't say that Alevis are close to Shias of the Jafari maddhab at all. In fact, to me they're closer to Ahmadiyyas than anyone else because Alevis commonly put Imam Ali on the same level as Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) which is a big no no, but the big difference between them and Ahmadiyyas is that they believe Muhammad(pbuh) is the last prophet whereas Ahmadiyyas believe that Mirza Ghulam whatshisface is the last prophet.

PHALESTINE said:
I cant really give you a Yes or No answer. I believe that Islam has its violent parts and peaceful. And since it has some violent parts, you really cant call it a peaceful religion, and you really cant call it a violent religion either.
And the title isnt just exclusive to Islam.

I guess that was too much for you to swallow at once, I will divided it into parts and reach to it in steps instead.

Do you believe that Islam is a peaceful religion?

samven582

NonexistentK said:

from wiki:

you forgot to mention this

"The relationship between Alevis and Sunnis is one of mutual suspicion and prejudice dating back to the Ottoman period. Sunnis have accused Alevis of heresy, heterodoxy, rebellion, betrayal and immorality. Alevis, on the other hand, have argued that the original Quran does not demand five prayers, nor mosque attendance, nor pilgrimage, and that the Sunnis distorted early Islam by omitting, misinterpreting, or changing important passages of the original Quran, especially those dealing with Ali and ritual practice"

NonexistentK said:
According to Alevis, the Koran should be interpreted esoterically, inwardly, or mystically (batıni yorum). For them, there are much deeper spiritual truths in the Koran than the strict rules and regulations that appear on the literal surface (zahiri yorum).

Irrelevant.

Do you believe that the Quran is the truth?

phalestine

aka iby.h
Nizar said:
I guess that was too much for you to swallow at once, I will divided it into parts and reach to it in steps instead.

Do you believe that Islam is a peaceful religion?

Let me help you out.

Yes I believe it has its peaceful parts.
Yes I believe it has its violent parts.

lets just agree to disagree on certain issues :)

PHALESTINE said:
Let me help you out.

Yes I believe it has its peaceful parts.
Yes I believe it has its violent parts.

lets just agree to disagree on certain issues :)

Can a something be defined as peaceful when it preaches violence?

samven582 said:
you forgot to mention this

"The relationship between Alevis and Sunnis is one of mutual suspicion and prejudice dating back to the Ottoman period. Sunnis have accused Alevis of heresy, heterodoxy, rebellion, betrayal and immorality. Alevis, on the other hand, have argued that the original Quran does not demand five prayers, nor mosque attendance, nor pilgrimage, and that the Sunnis distorted early Islam by omitting, misinterpreting, or changing important passages of the original Quran, especially those dealing with Ali and ritual practice"
your understanding of islam is for you, my understanding is for me. last time i checked there was no universally accepted Islamic religious institution or a caste who had authority over all the one billion people who call themselves muslims . you wanna call our way heretical go ahead, nizar thinks it's not really Islamic fine. and also check my original post again
NonexistentK said:

Nizar said:
Can a something be defined as peaceful when it preaches violence?

It also preaches peacefulness and equality so yes.

I still don't get it what is with you? are you always like this? Do you have friends? We already discuss this. What more do you want?

What will happen if I or you or anybody else here will say Islam or any other religion is violent or peaceful. I guess you drunk something and you are stuck or word violence.

Word of the day is violence. :lol

NonexistentK said:
nizar thinks it's not really Islamic fine. and also check my original post again

What? don't make such conclusions! I never said that, all I asked is if you believe that the quran is true, and that is to find out whether what you believe in is truly peaceful.

Nizar said:
Irrelevant.
says you
Nizar said:
all I asked is if you believe that the quran is true
is the "truth" yes, but what i understand as koran's truth is different from a wahabist understanding of koran's truth. just like the difference between fundamentalist Christians who believe all of the bible stories as accurate historical accounts of real happenings and the liberal ones who see them as tools used to teach people the good way.

Ydahs

Well, it's nice to see this thread active again... Just in time for Ramadan!

Nizar said:

I agree with the first part as Islam has violent ideologies by definition. What Muslims need to understand that even though the word 'violence' has a negative connotation to it, we shouldn't considered it as one. A "just" execution by Islamic definition is still a violent one by English definition.

Now to my response:
Whether you call it subjective or objective, I believe that most people today consider the act of killing a man whether it was just, deserved, accepted or needed a violent act, and that is my point.
You replied to my earlier post with the above quote and I do agree with the statement, but as I already mentioned, Muslims may see it as an attack on the faith by calling it violent.

As for the second section (which could still apply to the first), you would find that the description of peace differs from culture to culture and the definition you listed is the English definition of peace. I know that Arabic definitions of words vary from other languages, which is the case with all languages due to cultural differences. I don't know what "peace" means in Arabic, but it may differ from the English definition which states peace is being free of violence.

vi⋅o⋅lence [vahy-uh-luhns] –noun
1. swift and intense force: the violence of a storm.
2. rough or injurious physical force, action, or treatment: to die by violence.
3. an unjust or unwarranted exertion of force or power, as against rights or laws: to take over a government by violence.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/violence

Using the same website as you used for peaceful, this is the definition which I find most relevant to apply. Using this definition, Islam can be considered a non-violent religion by Muslims since their actions are not against the laws of God and are not unjust. It all comes down to what people interpret peace and violence to be.

In other words, this debate can go on for months without progression!

ice cream

Banned
Peace acquired by following the word of Islam. As someone also said before as a reply to "fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity": You can regain peace, you can't regain your virginity.

heidern

Nizar said:
Of course I believe that violence is accepted and is needed too in some
situations. Self defense is an example...

I agree with you on this 100%.

Nizar said:
Can a something be defined as peaceful when it preaches violence.

This is an argument on semantics and I don't see value in that. But if you are using this absolutist definition of what is a violent institution and what is non violent then yes I would say Islam is violent. But I would also say under this definition any non-violent philosophy is by definition a stupid philosophy, since it would preclude self defense i.e. if you followed it you'd have to stand by and see your children killed if they were attacked, a bad thing. Under this definition Islam being violent is not inherently a bad thing, that would depend on the specifics and whether Islam encourages wrongful violence, if you have any examples?

I think you're definition isn't a good one to use though in the general sense, since it puts excessive emphasis on one aspect. If a man kills 5 people that are attacking his family, even though he's commited a greater degree of violence than most people, doesn't make him a violent person. In fact he may be a pacifist at heart that always tries to avoid confrontation and break up fights, he could rightly be called a peaceful person, even though he has the capacity to, and has commited great violence. Under this definition Islam could be called a peaceful institution, but it would again depend on the specifics and whether Islam encourages wrongful violence, if you have any examples?

Nizar said:
Well, according to me I find it a bad thing, religions should never encourage violence because they are open to interpretation and can be misleading

Religions that never encourage violence are non violent religions under your initial definition and like I said would by definition be stupid. Misinterpretation can happen to anything. But the point you gloss over is that responsibility lies with the misinterpreter(he doesn't have to misinterpret) and the people that follow him(they don't have to follow him) not the source material. Islam is said to be a way of life, it covers everything. Violence is part of life and thus it is covered. In fact if it wasn't covered as you suggest misinterpreters could turn around and say that anything violence related is acceptable so even silence wouldn't help stop misinterpretation.

The though point is Islam offers guidance. It's up to any individual to follow it. Empowering the individual and giving them the responsibility to choose I would say is a good thing. And if Islam is true and this life is a test, then it's awfully nice of Allah(swt) to give us the free guidance in the Quran to help us along(he didn't have to). And if we're not good enough to follow it, well that's the whole point of the test...

NonexistentK said:

Irrelevant to my question I said.

is the "truth" yes, but what i understand as koran's truth is different from a wahabist understanding of koran's truth. just like the difference between fundamentalist Christians who believe all of the bible stories as accurate historical accounts of real happenings and the liberal ones who see them as tools used to teach people the good way.

Thanks for your clarification.

Do you believe that Jihad is a duty for Muslims according to your people?

Ydahs said:
I agree with the first part as Islam has violent ideologies by definition. What Muslims need to understand that even though the word 'violence' has a negative connotation to it, we shouldn't considered it as one. A "just" execution by Islamic definition is still a violent one by English definition.

That is your opinion, in my opinion it is wrong, but again we are not discussing the different opinions nor the justifications.

You replied to my earlier post with the above quote and I do agree with the statement, but as I already mentioned, Muslims may see it as an attack on the faith by calling it violent.

I don't care about whether they consider it good or bad, what I care about is whether they consider it a true or a false statement.

As for the second section (which could still apply to the first), you would find that the description of peace differs from culture to culture and the definition you listed is the English definition of peace. I know that Arabic definitions of words vary from other languages, which is the case with all languages due to cultural differences. I don't know what "peace" means in Arabic, but it may differ from the English definition which states peace is being free of violence.

Arabic definition of the word peace:
http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/سلام

Google translate:
State of peace and tranquility and calm the absence of unrest. In world politics, the term [Kamaaks] peace to the war and acts of violence. The existence of peace does not necessarily mean there is perfect harmony between people of different strata of society, or divergent or even competing in the States in time of peace is people in the conflict for example, the electoral result of the competitions caused and dialogues, and others. It shows the date of delinquency to the majority of peace-making and to try to restore peace and do not feel it, but of those who lived the horrors of war.

http://translate.google.com/transla...D9%84%D8%A7%D9%85&sl=ar&tl=en&history_state0=

[Kamaaks] = Google failed at translating this word and thus only written it as it is but in English letters, the word means in Arabic the opposite of.

Which means in Arabic too, the definition of peace is war and violence free.

vi⋅o⋅lence [vahy-uh-luhns] –noun
1. swift and intense force: the violence of a storm.
2. rough or injurious physical force, action, or treatment: to die by violence.
3. an unjust or unwarranted exertion of force or power, as against rights or laws: to take over a government by violence.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/violence

Using the same website as you used for peaceful, this is the definition which I find most relevant to apply. Using this definition, Islam can be considered a non-violent religion by Muslims since their actions are not against the laws of God and are not unjust. It all comes down to what people interpret peace and violence to be.

An unjust or unwarranted exertion of force or power is an accepted definition of violence, but this in no way means that just and warranted exertion of force or power is non violent!

The definition you should be looking up is nonviolent, since violence does not necessarily have to be just in order to be defined as violence, and if you don't agree with this you are being illogical.

ice cream said:
Peace acquired by following the word of Islam. As someone also said before as a reply to "fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity": You can regain peace, you can't regain your virginity.

I disagree:

Peace can be achieved through violence and fighting, an example of this can be that the villagers in a village have killed everyone that is erupting peace in the region, the result is a village with no trouble makers and thus peace has been achieved through fighting.

Virginity can be achieved through fucking, an example of this is me fucking a woman to impregnate her with kids, the result is more kids = more virginity.

But this is not the point, the point is that this is the wrong path to take if you or aiming to achieve peace, the same applies to virginity, that is the point of the quote.

After two days of reading and talking with you I don't know hy I still have not done this.

Scribble_Stewie_sm.png

you and him are extremely similar

heidern said:
This is an argument on semantics and I don't see value in that.

That is your opinion.

But if you are using this absolutist definition of what is a violent institution and what is non violent then yes I would say Islam is violent.

Good.

But I would also say under this definition any non-violent philosophy is by definition a stupid philosophy,

That is your opinion.

since it would preclude self defense i.e. if you followed it you'd have to stand by and see your children killed if they were attacked, a bad thing.

No, there is a difference between a philosophy that preaches its followers to commit violence, and a philosophy that keeps its self out of violence and lets the follower decide for his own.

The first example is an example of a violent philosophy, the second one is an example of a nonviolent philosophy, do you see the difference?

Being a follower of a nonviolent philosophy such as the one in the second example does not mean in any way that you are not allowed to commit violence to defend yourself or to attack others, neither does it make the philosophy violent because the follower choose to commit violence.

Under this definition Islam being violent is not inherently a bad thing, that would depend on the specifics and whether Islam encourages wrongful violence, if you have any examples?

Wrongful or not, it is still violence in both cases, if it is a good or a bad thing that Islam is preaching on wrongful/deserved violence is also another discussion.

I think you're definition isn't a good one to use though in the general sense, since it puts excessive emphasis on one aspect. If a man kills 5 people that are attacking his family, even though he's commited a greater degree of violence than most people, doesn't make him a violent person. In fact he may be a pacifist at heart that always tries to avoid confrontation and break up fights, he could rightly be called a peaceful person, even though he has the capacity to, and has commited great violence. Under this definition Islam could be called a peaceful institution, but it would again depend on the specifics and whether Islam encourages wrongful violence, if you have any examples?

Defining the characteristics of a man is different and more complex than that of a philosophy, a man unlike a book changes constantly and therefore the definition of his characteristics change constantly too.

Take batman for example, his goal is to achieve peace in his town, but he uses violence to achieve that, this makes him a violent person no matter what his real intention is.

The same applies to the man in your example who have killed 5 men in self defense, his intention might not be violence, but he has committed violence and therefore can be characterized and defined as a violent person for he has committed violence.

Now we come to the part about relativity, the man in your example might not be considered violent by people around him if you compare him to Hitler for example, but he is a violent man compared to Gandhi for he has committed violence and whether it was just or needed it doesn't change the fact that it is violence.

Religions that never encourage violence are non violent religions under your initial definition and like I said would by definition be stupid.

In your opinion.

Misinterpretation can happen to anything. But the point you gloss over is that responsibility lies with the misinterpreter(he doesn't have to misinterpret) and the people that follow him(they don't have to follow him) not the source material.

?

Islam is said to be a way of life, it covers everything. Violence is part of life and thus it is covered.

I like how you play with the words, you choose to say that Islam covers violence instead of Islam asks its followers to commit violence.

In fact if it wasn't covered as you suggest misinterpreters could turn around and say that anything violence related is acceptable so even silence wouldn't help stop misinterpretation.

did I say that without misinterpretation the world would be violence free?

The though point is Islam offers guidance. It's up to any individual to follow it.

It doesn't change the fact that it is violent, you are only justifying why it is violent and justification doesn't turn violence into nonviolence.

Empowering the individual and giving them the responsibility to choose I would say is a good thing.

Jihad and Sharia punishments aren't an option, they are duties.

And if Islam is true and this life is a test, then it's awfully nice of Allah(swt) to give us the free guidance in the Quran to help us along(he didn't have to). And if we're not good enough to follow it, well that's the whole point of the test...

Again, its not free guidance, these are duties!

Can I choose not to get stoned by the sharia law if I have gay sex? can I choose not to get beaten by my Muslim husband if I rebel him?

crazy monkey said:
After two days of reading and talking with you I don't know hy I still have not done this.

Scribble_Stewie_sm.png

you and him are extremely similar

I find you and your avatar similar too!

notamused1-1.jpg

stick to the topic or get out.

Nizar said:
I find you and your avatar similar too!

notamused1-1.jpg

stick to the topic or get out.

Why you own intenetz now? I already talked to you so I am not gonna bug you again. And if the other guys is giving opinion than why are you disrespecting it.

crazy monkey said:
Why you own intenetz now? I already talked to you so I am not gonna bug you again. And if the other guys is giving opinion than why are you disrespecting it.

No, I just want to keep this discussion as interesting as possible, so if you don't have anything important to say please stay out of it.

I am not being disrespectful, me being disrespectful to Muslims is the same as being disrespectful to my parents. I haven't accused Muslims of being violent crazy barbaric blood thirsty killers or anything like that. I am reasoning here why Islam is not a peaceful religion as it claims to be but is a violent one.

Nizar said:
No, I just want to keep this discussion as interesting as possible, so if you don't have anything important to say please stay out of it.

I am not being disrespectful, me being disrespectful to Muslims is the same as being disrespectful to my parents. I haven't accused Muslims of being violent crazy barbaric blood thirsty killers or anything like that. I am reasoning here why Islam is not a peaceful religion as it claims to be but is a violent one.

ok lets say it's violent religion now what?
It might be peaceful compare to what it was saying though.

crazy monkey said:
ok lets say it's violent religion now what?
It might be peaceful compare to what it was saying though.

Now I would have made my point, that's it.

I might move on later to why Islam is not true, since that is the main reason I left Islam and it is what I am interested in, the reason why I am arguing that it is not a peaceful religion and is a violent one is because Muslims in this thread like in many other place claim that it is a peaceful and nonviolent religion when it isn't that at all.

Nizar said:
Now I would have made my point, that's it.

I might move on later to why Islam is not true, since that is the main reason I left Islam and it is what I am interested in, the reason why I am arguing that it is not a peaceful religion and is a violent one is because Muslims in this thread like in many other place claim that it is a peaceful and nonviolent religion when it isn't that at all.

What religion do you follow now? Or are you atheist? Why do you think Islam is not true? It is more true than others at least when it comes to violence. Nothing is hidden. I was sure from the first post that you are not following islam now and when you said you were saudi arebia it was to easy to guess. I guess you have never seen other type of Muslims or culture.

crazy monkey said:
What religion do you follow now? Or are you atheist?

No religion, I am an agnostic, its similar to being an atheist but the difference is that we unlike them don't claim that God doesn't exist, nor do we claim that he does like religious people do. we just admit the fact that we don't have enough data to make such conclusions.

The reason why I am not an atheist is that the absence of something existence doesn't prove it's nonexistence, in other words, just because I have never seen a green rabbit doesn't mean that green rabbits don't exist.

Why do you think Islam is not true?

Patience, I will get into that, but if you insist you can tell me why you are a Muslim? why do you believe that Islam is true? provide valid reasoning or evidence.

It is more true than others at least when it comes to violence. Nothing is hidden.

Being straight forward or clear is not the same thing as being true.

I was sure from the first post that you are not following islam now and when you said you were saudi arebia it was to easy to guess.

Is this supposed to make my arguments invalid? if not then leave it out of the discussion.

I guess you have never seen other type of Muslims or culture.

Stop making guesses about me and focus on the topic discussed here.

Nizar said:
No religion, I am an agnostic, its similar to being an atheist but the difference is that we unlike them don't claim that God doesn't exist, nor do we claim that he does like religious people do. we just admit the fact that we don't have enough data to make such conclusions.

That's the most confusing state ever. You know you always demand answer as yes and no. But you are in maybe area. Or you can say Gray area. If this is the case don't tell people to answer the question in yes and no.

Nizar said:
Stop making guesses about me and focus on the topic discussed here.

This whole discussion and why are you talking here about islam Is about you and nothing else. You want to sate your opinion as the right one and nothing else. Its very simple.

crazy monkey said:
That's the most confusing state ever. You know you always demand answer as yes and no. But you are in maybe area. Or you can say Gray area. If this is the case don't tell people to answer the question in yes and no.

Can one prove the existence of God? no.
Can one prove the nonexistence of God? no.
Thus a conclusion can not be made whether God exists or not.

One can believe that God exists, but that is different from knowing whether he exists or not.
I can believe that Santa Claus is God, but I do not know that and therefore can not prove it to others that its true.

This whole discussion and why are you talking here about islam Is about you and nothing else. You want to sate your opinion as the right one and nothing else. Its very simple.
Prove that my arguments are false.

You also haven't answered my question, why do you believe that Islam is true?

Nizar said:
One can believe that God exists, but that is different from knowing whether he exists or not.

Either you believe there is god or you don't. There is no may be. God is not human so you can see. its the question like Gravity exists or no?

crazy monkey said:
Either you believe there is god or you don't. There is no may be. God is not human so you can see. its the question like Gravity exists or no?

God either exists or doesn't exist, but this doesn't mean that I have to believe that he either does or he doesn't exist, there is nothing that forces me to make a decision, I remain open minded until evidence is found that supports his existence or nonexistence.

There is no reason or evidence that supports God's existence.
There is no reason or evidence that supports God's nonexistence.

If I want to be a rational person I should not make any conclusion with the absence of evidence or reason.

Gravity's existence can be proven through the scientific method, but God's existence can not be proven or disproven through the scientific method because there is no sufficient data to reach any conclusions.

You haven't answered my question, why do you believe that Islam is true?

Top Bottom