• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Let's Tap Thread of Future Tapping Game!

crop3.jpg

info.jpg

To really bring the proper context to this thread please first click this LINK which will provide you with the intro song to this game and infuse your body pure, unadulterated happiness.

I hope Gaf is ready for this sweet slice of party gaming heaven to fall into its lap next week! Let's Tap is developed by Prope a studio formed by Yuji Naka (of Sonic and NiGHTs fame) and is being published by SEGA exclusively for the Wii and is coming in at a MSRP of $30.

What makes this game so special is that it played exclusively by tapping, yes tapping. Having played the Japanese version a bit this game is drop dead easy to play for anyone, works amazingly well, and is an absolute blast to play with friends. All you do is place a wiimote face down on a box or dvd/game case where you have enough room to tap and voila! you're ready to go.

While it may seem like tapping is just a cheap substitute for waggling the opposite is really true in practice. Both the rhythm and intensity of taps is measured during gameplay and just wildly tapping will only lead to fail. The beauty of it is that the game just makes sense, and even playing the japanese version, family members who've never even touched a wiimote were playing like pros in minutes. EXCITE meets TAP!

Developer - Prope

Publisher - SEGA

Release Dates

NA - June 16th, 2009 (US-only $30!!; CDN $40)

AU - June 18th, 2009

UK - June 19th, 2009 (Play has it for £18 - h/t batbeg)

music2.jpg

The music rocks in this game period. For those that want to check out some of the songs in the Rhythm Tap game here are some vids I stumbled across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuLFcGllYs4&feature=PlayList&p=C6DE85ADC42C65EC&index=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FAl3L5HOC4&feature=PlayList&p=C6DE85ADC42C65EC&index=0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4MJcoQ-GJ0&feature=PlayList&p=C6DE85ADC42C65EC&index=3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT2f409_cTI&feature=PlayList&p=C6DE85ADC42C65EC&index=2

Thanks to NintenDaan for posting the videos.

gamemode.jpg

rhythmtap.jpg

- Hands down an absolute blast to play with 4-players. Think Taiko but with tapping and you're pretty much spot on. Intensity of your tap is measured and affects your overall score in the game. When 4-players are at it each player has their own rhythm that is pretty badass sounding when everyone is in synch / not crap. Best of all, the music is fantastic, and eases the sadness of exhausting all of the stages and still wanting more.

Video

3542577404_ffa8ab711b.jpg
3542577932_7356fe7c90.jpg

silentblocks.jpg

- Basically Jenga and in my experience (which admittedly was short) it was mildly entertaining but definitely not one of the highlights of the game.

Video

3542575902_6bf50368ae.jpg
3541766957_d3d416c307.jpg

taprunner.jpg

- Tied with Rhythm Tap as the most fun games out of the bunch. Players can get speed boosts by keeping a steady rhythm and jumps are performed by slapping hands down in unison (probably not necessary but feels right). There are somewhere around 16 tracks to race through, and include quite a bit of variety in obstacles and multiple pathways you can take to the finish line. An absolute riot to play and watch others play as well.

Video

3541764739_379f5141b4.jpg
3541765461_c939e993ff.jpg

bubblevoy.jpg

-As I was playing the Japanese version of this game I really had no clue as to what the hell I was doing - so looking forward to the localized version to do some splain'n.

Video

3541773371_d32fdbfe1b.jpg
3542579174_fe74e08523.jpg

visualizer.jpg

- Not a game but was actually a bit neat to just have going and place someplace where it will pick up vibrations from people walking by or on coffee table with people placing glasses and plates onto. Didn't include the screenshots but there are a number of skins including painting and fireworks amongst others.

Video

3295021730_421218a7ec.jpg

reviews.jpg

EDGE - 8/10

Eurogamer - 80

IGN UK - 8.5

GamePro -4/5

Games Radar - 7

1up - C+

TVG - 8

Gamespot - 7

PR

TAP INTO A WHOLE NEW WAY TO PLAY ON THE Wii!

Let’s Tap™ is a completely innovative gaming experience on the Wii™ with easy to pick-up-and-play controls that will appeal to gamers of all ages. Simply place the Wii Remote on a box or a flat surface and tap! All methods of tapping (light, medium, hard) will allow you to jump hurdles and create environmental effects such as a dazzling fireworks display. There are five fun-filled game modes, all of which allow for multiplayer fun!

FEATURES:

• PICK-UP-AND-PLAY CONTROLS: Every member of the family can jump into the game with these simple controls. Players place their Wii Remote™ on a box or flat surface and tap through five gameplay modes.

• FIVE UNIQUE GAME MODES:

Tap Runner: Sprint for the finish line in over 16 courses while avoiding obstacles including hurdles, ice wall and electric fields. (1-4 players)

Rhythm Tap: There are a wide range of songs to master in Rhythm Tap. Feel the beat and tap light, medium, hard in sync with the on-screen tap indicators. (1-4 players)

Silent Blocks: Different modes using light and hard taps to strategically remove blocks one at a time from the column without causing it to topple over. (1-4 players)

Bubble Voyager: Clad in a space suit, solo players tap to keep their character afloat through many levels filled with dangerous objects; a double tap will launch a missile. In multiplayer matches, you will shoot each other a number of times to win. (1-4 players)

Visualizer: Everyone will take their turn with several Unique stages including Fireworks, Paint, River, Gem Game and Ink. Tapping with light, medium and hard strokes produces on-screen effects ranging from a fireworks display to undersea bubbles. In special tap sequences, various sea animals will appear. (1 player)

Official Site

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I am intrigued. I loved and owned Ouendan but suck at Rhythm Heaven. Will I like this?

justchris

I've preordered this. I've been really into rhythm games lately, and unfortunately I expect this to have a small print run, so want to make sure I get my copy.

BorkBork said:
I am intrigued. I loved and owned Ouendan but suck at Rhythm Heaven. Will I like this?
In the rhythm game there isn't the looping pattern of Ouendan and plays much more similar to the Taiko games, which unlike Rhythm Heaven allows you to see the notes coming as opposed to matching the rhythm with visual cues. I would add that this game does not appear to be much fun as a single player experience and really shines as a multiplayer experience. Not sure if that helps...

banKai said:
is it allowed to post the intro song as an mp3?
i guess not

I would err on the side of no only because you can purchase the song on iTunes.

pakkit said:
Holy.

How do I go about obtaining the soundtrack to this game?

There are 4-songs currently available on iTunes, and I'm unsure if a full domestic release is forthcoming. But as Volcynika posted there's always play asia!

pakkit

Banned
Does the game have an option to play the BGM? Half my time in the original JGR was spent just lounging to the soundtrack.

Acid08 said:
DOES IT COME WITH THE BOX?
I actually think that the US release isn't including a box but will in Euroland and Australia. A bit on the sad side but I used a DVD case and it worked just fine.

pakkit

Banned
Saint10118 said:
I actually think that the US release isn't including a box but will in Euroland and Australia. A bit on the sad side but I used a DVD case and it worked just fine.
Whoa, what the fuck.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ooooh, hello beautiful!

i was wondering what this feeling of an upcoming hotness was all about, not knowing it was this tapping little game all along.

i hope we get it in canada some time this year.

luffeN

Saint10118 said:
you may be right. amazon.com doesn't show a box whereas amazon.de does. hmm

I imported this last year for Christmas because it looked awesome and I didn't think it would be released in the US. Yall should all buy it, you can't go wrong with this game, especially when SEGA is releasing it at a budget price of $29.99.

Get out there and buy it!

Someone uploaded the soundtrack. I don't know what the rules are when it comes to posting links to Game Soundtracks so I'm not gonna post the link here unless I'm told I can do so.

bryehn

Imported this on the cheap and absolutely loved it, made for some bright winter weekend afternoons with the Mrs..

Buying the localized version too, but it's a shame it's not coming with the box. Good price though.

I keep forgetting about this one, but yeah, day one. Looks like a lot of fun.

Also, the presentation looks freaking awesome. Very slick.

MarkusRJR

I'm having trouble deciding between buying this or Klonoa... :(

Does Let's Tap include a box to use? (I seriously don't have any boxes in my house)

pakkit

Banned
Yaceka said:
I'm having trouble deciding between buying this or Klonoa... :(

Does Let's Tap include a box to use? (I seriously don't have any boxes in my house)
Rent Klonoa, you can beat it in 5 days easy.

Ashour

Wow I didn't know that it was coming out in 3 days, unfortunately I won't be buying anymore retail games this month so next month I'll get it.

CTLance

I do not want to know what the german postage system will do to the poor boxes (preordered at play), but I can hardly wait tapping my way to enlightenment. Unique game is unique.

Update:

via Nintendo Download PR:
Let's CATCH™
Publisher: SEGA
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Comic Mischief, Mild Suggestive Themes
Price: 1,000 Wii Points
Description: Play catch with friends in multiplayer party games and compete for high scores using your Mii™ character and others. Choose from six different single and multiplayer modes such as Speed Catch, which tests your ability to catch a fastball, and Bomb Catch, an elimination party game for up to four players. Select from a variety of characters or use your Mii character to play other favorite catch games. Unlock special features when you own both Let's TAP and Let's CATCH.

Let's Catch is Prope's Wiiware game in case there was any confusion and I'm not sure cross-functionality was included in their Japanese release. If anyone knows what this is about please include.

Yackie

Hooray! Ever since hearing about this game I was hoping it would come to the US, and now the day is almost here. I've heard only positive things about this game from people that have played it. I'm looking forward to some future tapping fun.

zigg said:
The edition being sold at Best Buy apparently includes a "tap pad". Anyone get this?
Wow! Just pulled up the Sunday ad and saw their little footnote. Says "exclusive tap pad inside" but I bet this is just a standard inclusion if it's inside the box and not a Best Buy exclusive (I hope so, I've got it pre-ordered at the local mom and pop store). Thanks for the find and I'm sure at least a few here will be happy to see in the inclusion.

edit:
Here is the pic from the ad:
File.jpg

edit 2:
ah crap it does look like the box is Best Buy Exclusive judging by the "limited edition" nonsense in the image.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
This game is fucking crazy.... so weird. I'm still getting a hang of the tapping mechanics, but it's interesting to say the least.

Edit: The music game is difficult... you'll hit most of the notes, but if you miss just a couple notes you'll get a C rank. Miss 1 and that's an A, miss 2 and that's a B... and this is out many hundreds of taps you have to do each song.

Double edit: This game uses public license music too... I swear the theme you get when you click on the disc to load is the EGM Live podcast theme song sped up... and the fail music on the block game is that interlude music that Garnett sometimes plays.

dyls

I was supposed to not spend any money this week, but the fact that I can go to TRU and buy this and Ghostbusters Wii for a total of $50 is just too tempting. Also, I just managed to get $130 in late fees for my car registration waived (don't ask me how I got the incredibly broke state of California to drop the fees) so why the hell not.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Saint10118 said:
Wow! Just pulled up the Sunday ad and saw their little footnote. Says "exclusive tap pad inside" but I bet this is just a standard inclusion if it's inside the box and not a Best Buy exclusive (I hope so, I've got it pre-ordered at the local mom and pop store). Thanks for the find and I'm sure at least a few here will be happy to see in the inclusion.

edit:
Here is the pic from the ad:
File.jpg

edit 2:
ah crap it does look like the box is Best Buy Exclusive judging by the "limited edition" nonsense in the image.
I just picked this Best Buy copy up.

It's just a sticker, aka "pad". :(

Top Bottom