• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Online Franchise Interest Thread

i was about to say abraham is overrated like a motherfucker and that this isn't 5 years ago and he isn't on the jets.... but then i looked at his stats from last year. how did that fucking loser have 16.5 sacks!?

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i was about to say abraham is overrated like a motherfucker and that this isn't 5 years ago and he isn't on the jets.... but then i looked at his stats from last year. how did that fucking loser have 16.5 sacks!?
He was great last year until the end of the season where he kinda lost it and he didn't do jack in the post season. But yeah, he was on fire last year.

Then again, he did play the AFC West, Detroit, and Tampa (twice!). :p

Rorschach said:
He was great last year until the end of the season where he kinda lost it and he didn't do jack in the post season. But yeah, he was on fire last year.

Then again, he did play the AFC West, Detroit, and Tampa (twice!). :p

Don't forget Carolina....he loves to feast on Delhomme!

Ramirez

Striker said:
Seeing these videos, and the QBs running to the right side to throw.... thankfully the pass-rush/ends look improved. None of that BS!

If people blitz up the middle or have their tackle in your backfield right after the snap what are you supposed to do? :lol

My o-line was complete trash...I didn't really think pressure was a problem last year, I'm hoping they didn't bump it up too much.

DCX

DCX
Ramirez said:
If people blitz up the middle or have their tackle in your backfield right after the snap what are you supposed to do? :lol

My o-line was complete trash...I didn't really think pressure was a problem last year, I'm hoping they didn't bump it up too much.
Same, the Falcons of Madden were trash compared to real life and my entire team blew, including the O Line.

DCX

Striker

Ramirez said:

I wasn't specifically talking about your video, but videos from Youtube and other players. The pass-rush wasn't as strong, so it was enabling people to take advantage of it. I'm just happy that '10 - DE's actually contain the QB, so things like that can't happen. If a MLB blitzes and is unblocked, QB am doomed! :p

Rorschach

If someone constantly did that and you called an outside blitz or DE contain against them, they'd fall right into their hands. Like Konex always did. :lol

Striker

If a team has a bad DL or ends, then things like that will happen. That means I must trade for a good pass-rusher. :(

Wellie loans me Kiwanuka, thx

Rorschach

Striker said:
If a team has a bad DL or ends, then things like that will happen. That means I must trade for a good pass-rusher. :(

Wellie loans me Kiwanuka, thx
?? I meant that if you just DE contained or sent and outside blitz (or LB contain), the QB would run right into them. The OL wouldn't even engage them 'till they stepped forward (because it's a passing situation). You didn't need a great DL either.

Dunno about '10, though.

last years madden pass rush was ok. i'm not saying it was incredible, but if you want to see fucking god awful pass rush and AI go play NCAA 09 (or apparently the upcoming ncaa 10).

the issue is that the DE's do not pursue "UP" the field. yes, rors is right, you can catch people by playing DE contain, but why in the FUCK should i have to play DE contain against people like drew brees or phillip rivers?

i like what im seeing from the pass rush so far in madden '10, but even if NO adjustments were made from last year i could live with it. ncaa on the other hand....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyImu25uG6g&feature=related (jpout vs. dirty sanchez... in the rain!)

one thing i have noticed this year that i didn't in years past is that QB's seem to have unique animations. brady, manning.... even Jbust looks like the real jbust! not sure if it was like this last year

look at the run @ the 3:10 mark on this video, EXACTLY how running should be on a consistent basis. you see how the line forms a wall at the line of scrimmage? time will tell if this is consistent in the game but that is what i expect more often than the DT or DE tackling the RB when he gets the handoff

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
last years madden pass rush was ok. i'm not saying it was incredible, but if you want to see fucking god awful pass rush and AI go play NCAA 09 (or apparently the upcoming ncaa 10).

the issue is that the DE's do not pursue "UP" the field. yes, rors is right, you can catch people by playing DE contain, but why in the FUCK should i have to play DE contain against people like drew brees or phillip rivers?

i like what im seeing from the pass rush so far in madden '10, but even if NO adjustments were made from last year i could live with it. ncaa on the other hand....
I was just bringing that up in reference to a post, but yeah, this year there's an actual pocket that forms. The problem wasn't with the DL, but with the pocket being more linear. Add to this the slide option and people could slither to the left or right often.

I think it will take certain players some time to adjust to not running back 15 yards or rolling out immediately.

i updated the original post with updated teams/players.

i've also been looking around opsports for ideas on free agency and stuff and came across this idea which i think is promising:

* Players are giving a "point value" based on there ratings.

95+ = 10 points
90-94= 9
84-89= 8
78-83= 7
70-77= 6
59-69= 4
45-59= 2
0-44= 1

Simple enough. Then you add up you teams total "cap value". My Lions are currently at 265 points total. (use the excel spreadsheet with all the teams and player ratings)

Then there is a "League Cap" which acts like a salary cap. For TSL it is 315. So no team can go over this number. The Giants start with 329 points so they have some cutting to do to get below the League cap to start. There was only 3 teams that were over the cap to start the League. The League cap is increased by %8 each season to mimic the NFL.

The remaining points can be used to bid on Free Agents. My Lions cap is 265 and the League cap is 315, so I currently have 50 points to bid for Free agents with. If your team cap is 310 then you would only have 5 points to bid with and might need to release some players to bid on free agents.

Free agents have no cap value to start with. Their value is determined by how much you pay for the player. So say Chris Mcalister is rated 86 (he's an 8 point player according to the ratings scale). But FA starts and 4 teams drive up the bidding and someone wins him for 15 points. Then 15, not 8, is the Mcalister's cap value and remains that number until he retires or is released.

No team can go over the League cap at any time.

This can all be easily done using the excel spreadsheet that is floating around on the internet with all the players ratings. (I believe pastapadre had them). Using the excel formulas makes keeping track of your roster very simple, and simple is good.

We opened Free agency for the TSL yesterday and it was fast and furious bidding between owners for current Free agents. Plaxico Burress is up around 22 points even though he is an 8 point rated reciever. Each owner puts a different value on different players.

*shout out to Brandon_c993 as commish. He's doing a great job at keeping track of Free agency. I would say this is the most important ingrediant if your league wants to implement a cap system......find a good, diligent commissioner.*

Hope this helps.

what do you guys think about something like that? it doesn't need to be exactly the same

Mrbob

Damn whoever used the Bears was embarrassingly bad.

I won't let you down like that JCut!

And stop dissing my boy FMT! Not my fault your team has used up all your franchise QB karma for all of eternity!

Does it still burn that you guys drafted Alex Smith instead of Aaron Rodgers? And to think of all the shit you gave him before that draft. :lol

Somnia

I like the sound of that free agency system as long as we have an excel program or something like it to keep track. Since it's highly unlikely that ea will put anything in that might be the closest I've seen to a system that'd work well and isn't confusing. We'd have to implement things like injury reserve list, etc probably though to help balance out caps

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Since I had some success in turning a crap UCLA team into a PAC-10 power in 2 seasons back in NCAA, I am going to take on a reclamation project of the same stature:

3647817923_30949657cf.jpg

2775698171_5bc2e1ebfb.jpg

2776402342_8234e6dd23.jpg

2775543407_f6aaa2d667.jpg

Does it still burn that you guys drafted Alex Smith instead of Aaron Rodgers? And to think of all the shit you gave him before that draft.

lol are you on erron rodgers jock too? what the fuck has he done besides take a 13-3 division champion and turn them into a 6-10 team? shit, alex smith had a 7-9 team in his 2nd year and he had arnaz fucking battle as his #1 receiver :lol

rodgers aint shit boyeeeee!

p.s. dave and dskillz: updated original post.... good luck to you both with those horrid teams. at least you get to beat up on me twice a year dave :(

BigAT

That system for cap/free agency sounds decent, but if I can make a suggestion, I think it should account for the Potential stat in some way so that the system would more accurately rank rookies and other younger players.

Let's take Matt Stafford. He's rated 79, making him worth 7 points or 2.2% of the team's total cap number according to the system above. Let's call his 2010 salary about $10 million. His contract averages out to $12mil/year, so I think that's a fair guess, maybe a little high. The salary cap for next year is about $128 million, making Stafford account for 7.8% of Detroit's cap number. This means Stafford accounts for 350% more of the Lion's cap number in real life than he would under the point system. If you figured in Potential in some way, maybe base a player's point value off 75% of his player rating, 25% his potential number, you could limit the inaccuracy caused by otherwise ignoring Potential.

I'm WELL AWARE that the above is extremely fuzzy math, but I still think it illustrates a potential flaw in the proposed point system that could be solved with a recalculation of each player's value.

Rorschach

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the Lions will be a good team to take on (better than the Rams, anyway). They have an overrated Rookie QB, a good young RB, an awesome young #1 WR, a good young TE, and an imroved LB coprs. Get some DBs, improve your DL over the seasons, and BAM: playoff team!

Sad that EA rated their OL better than mine, too... what a crock.

Can't believe Bulger is rated lower than Stafford. :lol He's always been overrated in Madden.

BigAT said:
That system for cap/free agency sounds decent, but if I can make a suggestion, I think it should account for the Potential stat in some way so that the system would more accurately rank rookies and other younger players.

Let's take Matt Stafford. He's rated 79, making him worth 7 points or 2.2% of the team's total cap number according to the system above. Let's call his 2010 salary about $10 million. His contract averages out to $12mil/year, so I think that's a fair guess, maybe a little high. The salary cap for next year is about $128 million, making Stafford account for 7.8% of Detroit's cap number. This means Stafford accounts for 350% more of the Lion's cap number in real life than he would under the point system. If you figured in Potential in some way, maybe base a player's point value off 75% of his player rating, 25% his potential number, you could limit the inaccuracy caused by otherwise ignoring Potential.

I'm WELL AWARE that the above is extremely fuzzy math, but I still think it illustrates a potential flaw in the proposed point system that could be solved with a recalculation of each player's value.
The market ultimately decides the value of the pick. The points FMT posted would be minimums. There will be overpaid guys and there will be gems. Just like in the NFL.

I think some things could be ironed out in that system, but it sounds ok. The biggest problem would be if they brought in contracts through a patch and we had to restart or something. :\

[edit] Oh, I see what you mean. In the initial rating of the team's cap. Yeah, that's true. I would prefer something to do with referencing the real team's current situation in terms of cap space.

Birdman02

dskillzhtown said:
Since I had some success in turning a crap UCLA team into a PAC-10 power in 2 seasons back in NCAA, I am going to take on a reclamation project of the same stature:

By the time the season starts the Broncos (most likely the team I'll end up with) are gonna need the most rebuilding. The Lions actually have some decent talent to work with (at least in game).

Also, I think the free agency idea from op sports will work pretty good, but I agree with BigAT that the potential stat should also be a factor.

Rorschach

Birdman02 said:
By the time the season starts the Broncos (most likely the team I'll end up with) are gonna need the most rebuilding. The Lions actually have some decent talent to work with (at least in game).
The Broncos have some good talent (in Madden) to work with as well. All they need is a QB and a DL upgrade. Marshall will probably get the Ochocinco treatment (although, I hope they do trade him :p).

The worst team to work with will probably be the Browns, but at least they have a great offensive line.

The Raiders are gonna be a pain. :(

i would say the teams in the worst shape to start are already off the board. rors brought up the browns but even the browns aren't in awful shape. they have 2 qb's i bet you could develop to have good ratings, a good WR, good offensive line, some pieces on defense.... good kick returner!

plus there will be opportunity for you to improve your team immediately through the free agents in the game (plaxico being the biggest one i imagine.... maybe mike vick if he's re-instated?)

i think the worst team to have would be the packers because you have to also live with yourself knowing you are using a disgusting organization like that.

Rorschach

I guess you could build up Anderson and Quinn, but their rating is shit. All you have on defense is Rogers and Jackson. Everyone else is shit. And they don't have an overrated TE anymore so you can double Edwards all day. :D Oh, and their best RB is 75 years old.

Slo

Be forewarned: I intend to offer every crackpot trade idea that I hear on local Vikings sports talk radio to the GAF Madden league. If I offer Chester Taylor in trade for Antonio Gates, Shawn Merriman, and a 1st round draft pick, please don't be offended. It was VikesFan1969's idea, not mine.

i only assigned a couple other teams based on a) diehardom (dolphins, bills) and b) the fact that i doubt anyone else had any interest (lions/rams).

you guys can post or PM the teams you're interested in and ill look at it. again, while a lot of this stuff is set, there is always room for negotiation. i don't even know with 100% certainty all the players we're going to have. someone might decide on august 21st that they "fucking hate the game and it's a roster update, nothing more" and drop out causing a domino effect of teams that were picked and now switched etc.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i only assigned a couple other teams based on a) diehardom (dolphins, bills) and b) the fact that i doubt anyone else had any interest (lions/rams).

you guys can post or PM the teams you're interested in and ill look at it. again, while a lot of this stuff is set, there is always room for negotiation. i don't even know with 100% certainty all the players we're going to have. someone might decide on august 21st that they "fucking hate the game and it's a roster update, nothing more" and drop out causing a domino effect of teams that were picked and now switched etc.

ah ok just got confused cause i looked at the op and the 1-16 list is missing quite a few #s. Makes sense doubt there was going to be any major fights over lions/rams.

Birdman02

My only request is to be in the same division as AirBrian. He knocked me out of the playoffs in the 360 league last year, so I wanna beat him up twice this year. I'm pretty sure he's taking the Titans, so the only team left would be the Jags.

Striker

Rorschach said:
I guess you could build up Anderson and Quinn, but their rating is shit. All you have on defense is Rogers and Jackson. Everyone else is shit. And they don't have an overrated TE anymore so you can double Edwards all day. :D Oh, and their best RB is 75 years old.
Anderson's a 70, and I doubt his rating will go up even past 80 due to his age. I guess, unless he puts up huge numbers, it won't go far at all. Quinn can if he puts up good stats. I'm sure he can be 80-something in two-three seasons.

Ugh, Jackson and Rogers, and it ends there! You're right. I like Kamerion Wimbley, but there's no one else outside him.

Man-lock your best CB on Edwards and game over! :(

FMT,

I like the FA/cap idea. Though, this questions...

The Giants start with 329 points so they have some cutting to do to get below the League cap to start.
Is this hypothetical, or am I missing something? I really don't think you should force a team like NYG, NE, or PIT to cut players before the season (players that who will likely be on the roster beginning the season, no less!). Otherwise, it sounds pretty good.

that i will not do. to START the franchise i'm not going to make people cut any of their players, that's ridiculous and unfair. i just pasted that guys entire post but it's going to be edited regardless.

the tough part is going to be season 2 when people are required to make cuts to players that they want to keep. i can see it now...

"fuck you FMT! fuck this online franchise i shouldn't have to cut good players off my team i quit!"

Slo

That asshole Favre will be able to hold my team hostage even on NeoGaf. Is he coming back, or isn't he? I can't cut a legend!

Striker

:lol

Well, it betters for the entire league itself that way. Though if somebody Lion'd themselves and got multiple first rounders (either from trades or through the years of being terrible) surely they'll be pretty decently ranked within some time. I hope the rookies aren't high to start out, and by high I mean 80's.

Do you want us, meaning myself, Somnia, AirBrian, and Sable, to PM you the available teams we're interested in having or want? I hadn't gone back to the first page until now and noticed the teams filling up and not a lot of them left.

yeah please everyone without a team on the first page PM me, and that goes for the people that are "outside" of the 32 (again, because i dont know who is going to actually be playing come early september)

Rorschach

With that particular points system, you get punished for building your team in the draft. If you made great picks and they all ended up coming into their own around the same time (like what happened with the Chargers), you'd be forced to drop a good share of them. :p So, you basically just raised a bunch of starters for free agency without getting any use out of them.

Also, as mentioned, even if you didn't have to cut the players this season, they'd have to cut them next season and pray no one progressed. The Giants and Pats owners are fucked. :D

Guess what guys...my 7th Xbox 360 died tonight! :lol

Thank god it happened before Madden 10 arrived, but the threat of system breakage is still very real gentlemen...

AirBrian

Birdman02 said:
My only request is to be in the same division as AirBrian. He knocked me out of the playoffs in the 360 league last year, so I wanna beat him up twice this year. I'm pretty sure he's taking the Titans, so the only team left would be the Jags.
Why do I feel like you're more dangerous with the Dolphins than with the Jags? :lol

And yes, I'm taking the Titans!

jeff-fisher.jpg

The man so great, he has his own ice-cream!

jeff-fisher-football-frenzy1.jpg

well for the most part the teams are filled in. there are 3 teams left and we'll see what happens. you might say "hey! denogg is a lifelong jets fan, why isn't he already in!?"

and the reason he is not already in is because of something that happened in the nba league and i'm going to confer with some people about it. he has been a dependable player when he decides he wants to be a part of the league but when the chips are down.... not so much. i'll talk to everyone i need to and then make a decision on it. couple other things i need to talk to with my co-commishes anyhow :D

Striker

Somnia said:
Now to get plax and have him and ocho starting....ok now I'm dreaming lol
Trade me Laveranues Coles and I'll give you DA for backup QB. Come on, I mean, if Palmer went down, you'll have J.T. O'Sullivan starting!

Kidding aside, if I'm you, I would be pretty satisfied at WR. Ocho, Coles, Henry, even if he's an idiot, and younger guys like Caldwell and Simpson.

I'm sure EA will cut loose/erase Donte' Stallworth. My WR's will be Edwards, a couple rookies, and David Patten! If I lost Edwards, my WR's will be on par with Rors' group. :lol :\

Are FA's going to be arranged through a waiver wire like system? Would make the most sense.

Somnia

Striker said:
Trade me Laveranues Coles and I'll give you DA for backup QB. Come on, I mean, if Palmer went down, you'll have J.T. O'Sullivan starting!

Kidding aside, if I'm you, I would be pretty satisfied at WR. Ocho, Coles, Henry, even if he's an idiot, and younger guys like Caldwell and Simpson.

I'm sure EA will cut loose/erase Donte' Stallworth. My WR's will be Edwards, a couple rookies, and David Patten! If I lost Edwards, my WR's will be on par with Rors' group. :lol :\

Are FA's going to be arranged through a waiver wire like system? Would make the most sense.
Ya I was joking =) I need oline, rb and defensive help, but otherwise I think I can rebuild pretty well.

I'll just sign sexy rexy if Palmer gets hurt lol

Top Bottom