• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '13 Xbox 360 Online Franchise Thread: A chance to develop a dynasty!

McNei1y

i'll say MAYBE.... football is about to start in 5 mins (saints vs. cards on nfln) and then breaking bad is on tonight

tomorrow is probably a better bet because of football + potential NCAA games being played tonight

Damn NCAA and its schedule that I don't know about!

Well, either way, I'm definitely trying to get some more RDR in this week since that's all I'll really have for now. I want to redeem myself after falling into the water and dying.

You broke my spirit with that win streak before you left! Then I leveled up bit, got a new team and some cool stuff with it, started spanking people online. Then I played some local casuals in my area. First player I played used Spencer and Vergil and I have not played a game of Mahvel since!

Sok gets it!

sok is talking about persona 4, not persona 4 arena!

Rorschach

You broke my spirit with that win streak before you left! Then I leveled up bit, got a new team and some cool stuff with it, started spanking people online. Then I played some local casuals in my area. First player I played used Spencer and Vergil and I have not played a game of Mahvel since!

Sok gets it!
:(

Anyone else want some?

just so we have it out in the open for all league members to see, i would say there is a 50/50 chance that d-line play will be banned in the league if no improvements have been made. i've argued with CB back and forth and i know the point can be made that the majority of these sacks came in only 7 or 8 of the games played but he does have a point that 30+ sacks in a season isn't in the spirit of a sim-league.

so.... no guarantees but be prepared for that possibility! unless the physics engine has somehow negated that.

Rorschach

I dunno.. cpu games + playing DEs at DT = lots of sacks. I don't think it's about just being DT. Some of our players like to play DL and I'd like the option to do so against Freeman.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I dunno.. cpu games + playing DEs at DT = lots of sacks. I don't think it's about just being DT. Some of our players like to play DL and I'd like the option to do so against Freeman.
We didn't have CPU games in Madden

CB3

Those sack numbers wont go away. The best case scenario with line play:
-I feel like im playing against the computer

Worst Case:
-I feel like im playing against the computer and getting destroyed a second into any pass play i call.

I dont mind DE being played in spot situations. Like you said if you feel Freeman is gonna scramble right on a 3rd down and you want to try and prevent it. But for the most part it adds nothing to our game.

Rorschach

There's more to DL than pass rush. The same way that you can get out of position and have to guess right playing a DB, you have to do as a defensive lineman. You play the run and the pass differently. Some people did a good job stuffing me at the line with their DTs, but if you guess wrong and take a risk, or if you just don't time it right, you're going to give up big runs and/or passes. Also, it's awesome sniffing out a screen at the line. Feelsgoodman.

Playing DL against players who like to do screens, hb passes, and qb runs is a big help.

All that said, I haven't seen those two players play. If it happens, so be it, but instead of banning other players' favorite positions, maybe we need to set rules for that position (like we did for LB blitzing) or just tell that one or two players to STOP IT if they're cheesing.

CB3

You cant really put rules in to stop them, though. Other than not user them. CK used a DE at DT. Splat used a 1st rounder DT i think.
ramirez used twins
. It was all different

The thing is that if you miss play a run at D-line, on average you might lose 3-4 yards until a LB or safety cleans it up. Generally. And yeah you can call a screep pass but its one of the only counters. Guess what, if i take a chance or misjudge something at safety or even LB, im probably screwed. Its gonna be a big gain or a TD. Strategy comes into play far more. Like if i play DM, im gonna try to avoid the guy he is using because he always baits me into shit. I like the feeling of that. I like seeing FMT try to play safety because its gonna be a TD. I love how Phee has turned from a complete scrub at user D into a pretty good. When i played him in NCAA i few days ago i was shocked at how well he played Linebacker. And he shut my ass down. It was kinda cool.

Rorschach

You cant really put rules in to stop them, though. Other than not user them. CK used a DE at DT. Splat used a 1st rounder DT i think.
ramirez used twins
. It was all different

The thing is that if you miss play a run at D-line, on average you might lose 3-4 yards until a LB or safety cleans it up. Generally. And yeah you can call a screep pass but its one of the only counters. Guess what, if i take a chance or misjudge something at safety or even LB, im probably screwed. Its gonna be a big gain or a TD. Strategy comes into play far more. Like if i play DM, im gonna try to avoid the guy he is using because he always baits me into shit. I like the feeling of that. I like seeing FMT try to play safety because its gonna be a TD. I love how Phee has turned from a complete scrub at user D into a pretty good. When i played him in NCAA i few days ago i was shocked at how well he played Linebacker. And he shut my ass down. It was kinda cool.
DL players can shut you down too. And they can give up TDs as well. Happened just yesterday when I played against Soka. He left a huge gap and there went my RB all the way home.

And, yeah, I guess there's nothing you can do about super rookies. Hopefully, they addressed that this year.

I play safety mostly, but I don't require everyone to play exactly like me. I know both you and Ram have had a bias against DL since you joined the league. This just feels like an excuse to get players to play the way you want.

Ramirez

Has anyone gotten a user pick in NCAA yet? Like not switching mid play, actually controlling the same guy the whole time. I haven't even come close with a LB. :|

Smokey

Has anyone gotten a user pick in NCAA yet? Like not switching mid play, actually controlling the same guy the whole time. I haven't even come close with a LB. :|

I got two the other day playing a random. One playing FS the other playing SS. He yelled into the mic OMG BRO THIS IS CHEATING and then quit the game lool

CB3

DL players can shut you down too. And they can give up TDs as well. Happened just yesterday when I played against Soka. He left a huge gap and there went my RB all the way home.

And, yeah, I guess there's nothing you can do about super rookies. Hopefully, they addressed that this year.

I play safety mostly, but I don't require everyone to play exactly like me. I know both you and Ram have had a bias against DL since you joined the league. This just feels like an excuse to get players to play the way you want.

Soka is a raiders fan. Thats why that happened.

And you should probably reserve making judgements on things you wernt a witness to last year. Besides my inital feelings of thinking D-Line play is bitchmade, i played CK atleast twice a season since 2005? He played DE every season. I never had a problem with that until madden 12 when sack numbers went through the roof.

CB3

A couple. I got two against phee as FS and LB. Its much harder but not impossible

Ramirez

I have noticed controlling CBs/S is much easier than LB, it's like LBs refuse to strafe properly.

Most of my games have been against the cpu as well, and they won't throw it if you're anywhere near them.

Somnia

I'll adjust, but I don't think it's fair to ban dline play because of a couple high sack numbers. If were going that route we need to ban the number of times TEs and HBs can be passed too because having TE and HBs at the top of receiving yards every season isn't in fairness of a sim league either. I know this wasn't always the case, but it happened a lot.

GCQuinton

There's more to DL than pass rush. The same way that you can get out of position and have to guess right playing a DB, you have to do as a defensive lineman. You play the run and the pass differently. Some people did a good job stuffing me at the line with their DTs, but if you guess wrong and take a risk, or if you just don't time it right, you're going to give up big runs and/or passes. Also, it's awesome sniffing out a screen at the line. Feelsgoodman.

Playing DL against players who like to do screens, hb passes, and qb runs is a big help.

All that said, I haven't seen those two players play. If it happens, so be it, but instead of banning other players' favorite positions, maybe we need to set rules for that position (like we did for LB blitzing) or just tell that one or two players to STOP IT if they're cheesing.

Completely agreed. Every spot has their own risks and rewards associated with it. Outright banning an entire position from play is going overboard.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I'll adjust, but I don't think it's fair to ban dline play because of a couple high sack numbers. If were going that route we need to ban the number of times TEs and HBs can be passed too because having TE and HBs at the top of receiving yards every season isn't in fairness of a sim league either. I know this wasn't always the case, but it happened a lot.

you can control your dline in our play-in game!

Ferny

Somnia makes a great point. If we're going to start banning positions that generate stats that aren't 'sim-like' then why stop at DL? Honestly banning any position play is not the greatest thing to do.

Somnia makes a great point. If we're going to start banning positions that generate stats that aren't 'sim-like' then why stop at DL? Honestly banning any position play is not the greatest thing to do.

INTs too high? Ban safety/cb play since its not realistic for a safety or corner to see the whole play develop!

Tackles for losses too high? Ban the LBs who in real life wouldn't as easily see around/through the offensive line to know exactly where the RB is going.

We'll see how you all feel when someone takes a user D-Line, even as you call max protect, but that user repeatedly gets to your quarterback in 3 seconds or less anyways because it takes one "power/finesse" move past the lineman and as your dumbass tight end and halfback just watch him run around them to the QB.

I understand both sides, I'm not feeling strongly for one but if I had to lean I'd rather play someone who doesn't do that. When I played Splat and Cooper Fitz got like 10 sacks on me....that was just downright fucking stupid. It's nothing against Splat cause he wasn't even doing crash direction or some fancy shit but my right guard/center would literally let him get into my backfield within 2 seconds each time----and yes, I called screens and short passes, I still didn't have enough time most of the time.

I have been against banning position play but it also makes no difference to me as I don't play dline. However, if the majority of the league found it to be a problem we might have to. I don't think the majority would but I wanted to get it in the open now

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I miss being part of this league. I don't miss getting my ass handed to me on the regular and developing anger issues over it, but I seriously miss talking football with you guys.
I'm not kidding when I say that I learned more about football and respecting how every position plays by playing Madden with GAF then I did through any other channel.

Sucks that DCX took my team from me. :( I was happy losing with my team.

* found out my router was garbage though. So all my whining about lag was true. Not saying I would have won more games but as soon as I got a new router my performance got better in all the games I played online.

Smokey

My DE wrecking CB in the BCS play-in game has caused him to try and once again start a revolution lolz

Although what wellie did last year was absolutely crazy that was because he moved guys to different positions on the line right? Or some other voodoo magic

Sokantish

It was probably my fault, I remember the game I played against him and he got a lot of sacks against me because he shifted his guys to the right and then they just walked in untouched, so I tried to pick plays where I had some extra blockers in the backfield and that didn't help either. I hated that game. So I'm one of the people he got a ton of sacks on

GCQuinton

We'll see how you all feel when someone takes a user D-Line, even as you call max protect, but that user repeatedly gets to your quarterback in 3 seconds or less anyways because it takes one "power/finesse" move past the lineman and as your dumbass tight end and halfback just watch him run around them to the QB.

I understand both sides, I'm not feeling strongly for one but if I had to lean I'd rather play someone who doesn't do that. When I played Splat and Cooper Fitz got like 10 sacks on me....that was just downright fucking stupid. It's nothing against Splat cause he wasn't even doing crash direction or some fancy shit but my right guard/center would literally let him get into my backfield within 2 seconds each time----and yes, I called screens and short passes, I still didn't have enough time most of the time.

That's about the average time a quarterback in the NFL has to get a pass off anyways.

Top Bottom