• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '13 Xbox 360 Online Franchise Thread: A chance to develop a dynasty!

Somnia

Actually I still have access for some reason. Just to show the numbers. In real Life 2011 NFL season high ints was 7 and then it drops quickly. 2010 NFL season high ints was 8, with 3 7's and then drops.

2011 NFL season high sacks was 22, 19.5, 18 and then goes down.

Season 4:

Number of players at or above 7 interceptions was 7 with 2 at 10 or more.

Sacks: 2 players at 33 and 31 and then it is VERY much in line with RL at 16 and then drops.

Season 3:

Number of players at or above 7 interceptions was 20 with 4 at 10 or more

Sacks: 1 player at 32 the next is 16 and in line with real life again

Season 2:

Number of players at or above 7 interceptions was 11 with 1 above 10

Sacks: 1 at 25 and then 17 and in line with real life again

Season 1:

Number of players at or above 7 interceptions was 8 with 2 above 10

Sacks: 6 players at 9, way below real life.

Lot of non-sense I know, but only ONE player was out of whack in sack numbers except for season 4 where there was 2. If you are going to claim these crazy sack numbers are dooming our sim league I'd like to point out the INT numbers, guess we can take away manual INT's too.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Or you could conclude that the heightened pressure causes people to make bad throws that lead to interceptions.

Somnia

Or you could conclude that the heightened pressure causes people to make bad throws that lead to interceptions.

Again it was 1 player with high sack numbers. All of the other numbers fall perfectly in line with real life, aka: sim league.

Splat

Just FYI, Geno Atkins in final online rosters last year was way better than Cooper Fitz ever was. I'm fine losing DL play since I've always wanted to learn LB/S play, but I'd be sad he wouldn't ruin people :( Saying that INT numbers were inflated due to Sanjuro is just like how Cooper only had high numbers from like 6 games vs awful guards/centers.

Somnia

Just FYI, Geno Atkins in final online rosters last year was way better than Cooper Fitz ever was. I'm fine losing DL play since I've always wanted to learn LB/S play, but I'd be sad he wouldn't ruin people :( Saying that INT numbers were inflated due to Sanjuro is just like how Cooper only had high numbers from like 6 games vs awful guards/centers.

Agreed

CB3

Again it was 1 player with high sack numbers. All of the other numbers fall perfectly in line with real life, aka: sim league.

So what are you gonna tell CK to do since you've singled him out. Not play d-line? Just him? It wasn't just him. Alot of the league leaders in sacks were DT's or DE's at DT that were user controlled

So what are you gonna tell CK to do since you've singled him out. Not play d-line? Just him? It wasn't just him. Alot of the league leaders in sacks were DT's or DE's at DT that were user controlled

A DT or DE leading the league in sacks? Fucking ridiculous

Somnia

I have no idea what to do about CK's numbers that's for FMT and all of you to figure out, but again the other league leaders were all in line with the real nfl you can't argue that or make anything based off that, they played number wise JUST LIKE REAL LIFE. I don't know how I can say this any different. If you're going to eliminate an entire position because ONE player was out of whack from real life unlike the rest of the entire league then we have to eliminate more than that one position because others were out of whack also.

Also your argument about DE's and DT's being sack leaders is just insane because who else is suppose to lead the sacks, Defensive Backs? Come on now

This is also a semi-moot point because there's no way for us to go back to EVERY game and see how the INT's or Sacks happened. We're going purely off numbers here.

edit: Regarding you saying I'm singling CK out I'd like to point out this whole argument was because of his numbers, so everyone has singled his numbers out.

Maybe not, but I mean there's a lot of other bull shit that goes on in our leagues that isn't entirely reflective of how things work in real life.

Tom Brady shattered the INT record, should we ban passing? Or playing manual defensive back against Sanjuro?

Torry Sanders shattered the single season receiving mark. Should we ban throwing to a dominant receiver?

The Stealers probably shattered the team forced fumbles record, should we ban using the Stealers?

Madden isn't exactly a perfect simulation engine and when you add in the disparity in skill levels between players in this league we're gonna end up with some wonky outliers from time to time.

I mean sure if everyone was on equal tier I'd understand some of this stuff more. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like bans of non obvious exploits just benefit the top tier and widen the gap. Shrug.

Also good article on the change in pass distribution from WR3 to TE since 1970: http://www.footballperspective.com/examining-passing-distribution-in-the-nfl-since-1970/

i agree with you! i personally don't want d-line play banned and i don't think it's as much of a problem as CB and others think it is. but it's good to have a healthy discussion!

some people feel that being a LB was cheesy. i've had people complain (even as recently as 10 seconds ago but this came up throughout the year) that people playing LB were cheesy because the offensive line would not account for you on running plays, and there was nothing "illegal" about manually blitzing in to stop a run.

people also think d-line takes no talent to play but everytime i have played d-line i just fall flat on my face or am totally unproductive. so there is some skill to timing of the moves and getting to the qb.

Ramirez

Rors played d-back against me the times we have played. Personally, I'd like that banned. I can deal with pressure, I can't deal with great defensive back play when PI doesn't exist.

Not saying it isn't possible, I only played Rors once last year and don't remember much of it. I just remember a lot of DT from him in years past.

You're never going to get me to agree about DL play though, I've hated it ever since Gunstar would do the spread with the Eagles DL back when they had Kearse, it was truly laughable.

CB3

Pretty sure there are written records of those positions being overpowered through the season . Where's the DB thing is only being brought up as a counter by people because their position of choice is under attack.

Unfortunately there are people here who play D-line here in a way that isn't out of line (besides being a girl position to user) that may be effected. But what's the alternative? Am I gonna tell CK not to go for the qb on third down if he is within reach? Or to not play DE at DT? Or tell splat specifically not to user his rookie DT? And its more than them two. They are just front and center because of the numbers which are easy to argue

Pretty sure there are written records of those positions being overpowered through the season . Where's the DB thing is only being brought up as a counter by people because their position of choice is under attack.

Unfortunately there are people here who play D-line here in a way that isn't out of line (besides being a girl position to user) that may be effected. But what's the alternative? Am I gonna tell CK not to go for the qb on third down if he is within reach? Or to not play DE at DT? Or tell splat specifically not to user his rookie DT? And its more than them two. They are just front and center because of the numbers which are easy to argue

remember, we also have sliders this year and that may help as well. we'll have to see how the game works! but i will say i really doubt you get a majority for banning D-line play. maybe we do but i doubt it

Somnia

Well this is going to go round and round so I'm done. I just can't believe were considering taking an entire position away. Whatever is decided so be it and I'll adjust, but I wanted to get my points out there.

bluemax

Banned
So does anyone have access to league manager and is able to look up the season high INT's for CB's and Safetys? I'm curious how out of whack some of those numbers are from RL also.

I actually tried to look up the numbers but all the single season record stuff didnt work for me.

i agree with you! i personally don't want d-line play banned and i don't think it's as much of a problem as CB and others think it is. but it's good to have a healthy discussion!

some people feel that being a LB was cheesy. i've had people complain (even as recently as 10 seconds ago but this came up throughout the year) that people playing LB were cheesy because the offensive line would not account for you on running plays, and there was nothing "illegal" about manually blitzing in to stop a run.

people also think d-line takes no talent to play but everytime i have played d-line i just fall flat on my face or am totally unproductive. so there is some skill to timing of the moves and getting to the qb.

I honestly feel like the way some people in this league play LBer/S is way "cheesier" than the d-line play. I've had games where I didn't even bother running because the guy on the other side could shoot the gap so ridiculously faster and better than seems humanly possible. Meanwhile I had two games against Cooper Fitz and didn't fine him to be that problematic at all.

Basically I don't think we will ever all agree on anything.

Rorschach

You play Safety mostly? When did this happen? You always played DT against me and would get stupid amounts of pressure all game just like the rest of them.
You're still thinking about the PS2 days. I have played you as a safety (I don't even switch to LB against you) every game in the last few years.

Ask anyone who has played me regularly... Ask Luke. Ask Nightz. I played safety the last games against CB too... dunno what he's talking about. You guys are just seeing and remembering what you want to see/remember. "The truth is revealed..." lol

You're still thinking about the PS2 days. I have played you as a safety (I don't even switch to LB against you) every game in the last few years.

Ask anyone who has played me regularly... Ask Luke. Ask Nightz. I played safety the last games against CB too... dunno what he's talking about. You guys are just seeing and remembering what you want to see/remember. "The truth is revealed..." lol

i remember the last time we played i beat you 24-23 :D

LukeSmith

Rors - and I've played him a lot over the years - plays Safety/LB and then Dline usually in that order. My personal hunch is that Rors picks his defender based on two things:
  1. The specific play he called (i.e. I doubt he [or anyone in the league, really] will play a player with a man assignment
  2. The play type he is looking to take away (i.e. a Tight End, he'll play a LB in a zone, or he'll take a LB that was supposed to blitz on the play and cover with him and create extra coverage in that part of the field that he wants to take away).
Rors, more than anyone I've played against in the league keeps me guessing on defense like some of the elite offensive players in the league do to user defenses.

CB3

I cant remember what you used against me. I was just posting in response to ramirez because it challenged what you said. I think i played you twice in madden 12? once was a scrimmage pre-league

CB3

[*]The specific play he called (i.e. I doubt he [or anyone in the league, really] will play a player with a man assignment

I do

f4tDKaK0Enrrvghfa0zVkjl8o1_400.jpg

McNei1y

I remember one game in season 2 (me v bluemax) had about 12 ints with both of us throwing 6. There should've been a lot more. I remember my LBs dropping at least 3 more.

LiveWire

Yea, and just like LB/DB play, it's still risk/reward. I'm not getting free sacks on QBs like Vick (or smh, Kaepernick) because of some overpowered DE/DT positional imbalance. While I sometimes may get great quick pressure, if it's inside they have an open lane to the outside to scramble. Or if I do contain, they can slide up in the pocket and either throw or scramble up the gut. And if I leave a spy in to help contain that threat, they may still be able to complete a quick read to a TE or slot receiver. But then I also have a better chance of limiting the deep ball with quick pressure. It was hard as hell limiting Vick last season and coming away with a win (and a better passing performance by Peter Tanico I might add) in one of the head-to-head matchups--as it should be! (read: that MNF debacle from 2010).

Rorschach

Rors - and I've played him a lot over the years - plays Safety/LB and then Dline usually in that order. My personal hunch is that Rors picks his defender based on two things:
  1. The specific play he called (i.e. I doubt he [or anyone in the league, really] will play a player with a man assignment
  2. The play type he is looking to take away (i.e. a Tight End, he'll play a LB in a zone, or he'll take a LB that was supposed to blitz on the play and cover with him and create extra coverage in that part of the field that he wants to take away).
Rors, more than anyone I've played against in the league keeps me guessing on defense like some of the elite offensive players in the league do to user defenses.

I play man assign if it's TE, but not HB because I always leave them open since I ignore them. I started playing CB at the end, though. :D Had a couple of ints, but I feel less in control because the other side of the field and/or the middle are open.

And yes, I play based on what I'm trying to take away. I usually know what the other person is going to do, so I switch based on where I want him to go with the ball.

[edit]
Although, if I'm playing DL, my regular player is probably blitzing. :p

i play man to man on a player but only on a slot receiver or RB. i've tried doing it against TE's and CB's on the outside but it never works out :/

actually me covering people doesn't work out most of the time anyways

Ramirez

Definitely more recent than the PS2 days, but whatever, lol.

first off in the heat of the moment i wouldn't remember to do this anyways. secondly that's a bitch move. just as bad is on punt returns or open field stuff people will switch off their guy and let the cpu tackle you. take your open field beatings losers!

LukeSmith

first off in the heat of the moment i wouldn't remember to do this anyways. secondly that's a bitch move. just as bad is on punt returns or open field stuff people will switch off their guy and let the cpu tackle you. take your open field beatings losers!

Worst punt return infraction remains manually dropping guys back for extra blocking

eznark

Banned

Meh, in a couple weeks open field tackles will be considered cheese and some clown will want them banned.

Top Bottom