• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '16 PS4 Online league thread #2: Blink Daggers and Backflips

Somnia

This was absolutely not the problem at all. While he may not like shadow shaman after 1 game, or ever, his play on him wasn't the problem of the game. Too many things went wrong that game, starting with the hero selection (not ss), to pretend a off-lane support had anything to do with it.

Welli gets stuck sitting in the fountain looking in the shop, and I get that, the shop is overwhelming as fuck. Already 110-ish heroes to get an idea of what they do, add in all the items and you want to stab someone. BUT -- forget all that and learn the basic items and how to use them effectively. Wards wards wards.
Vision is like 70% of MaddenGAF problems, learn it early. It's why I hate playing mid, we usually lack the proper vision to play it well and go out for ganks without leaving yourself vulnerable.

I wasn't blaming or pretending to blame a off-lane support for what happened. I was just saying doing random draft for him might have been a problem, Eznark explained the logic behind it and I see now.

I take partial blame because I need to learn everything with all these heroes again, I use to off lane with DP in the past all the time with GAF and nothing was ever said about it so that's what threw me when you said I shouldn't pick her, but our lineup was pretty bad all around.

Regarding the last part I see what you mean, no vision got me wrecked in mid due to pudge coming around back to get me which caused the tower to get pushed and then it all collapsed from there.

These are Madden league bros that I have seen express interest or I know will want to be in a league:

Me (Marlins)
Crimson (Braves)
Rinse (Jays)
LJ (Mets)
Birdman (Rangers)
Brent (Indians)
Rob (Reds)
Eznark (A team not from Milwaukee)
Drizzler Trump (Any team that he doesn't think he'll average 13 strikeouts with as a batter)

If we add a few more and cap it at 10 or 12 I think that'd work nice. Also, FANTASY DRAFT!!!

Also we are planning ahead for something that is likely to fail because of Sony Reasons

eznark

Banned
You should have seen the pudge/SB early game. Thankfully they had such a hard on for ganking that they let Nightz da Gawd free farm PA.

I'll take the Diamondbacks so I can have Greinke if no AZ fan emerges. Also, don't let Rommel in!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thank god the Jay Bruce trade fell through

Although it seems the Jays have a hard on for him so it could still happen

Yea it's really been a fire sale this year. Bruce has fallen off a cliff since around 2013 and he's due over 12 million this year. The Orioles might be in the market for him now.

rinse82

These are Madden league bros that I have seen express interest or I know will want to be in a league:

Me (Marlins)
Crimson (Braves)
Rinse (Jays)
LJ (Mets)
Birdman (Rangers)
Brent (Indians)
Rob (Reds)
Drizzler Trump (Any team that he doesn't think he'll average 13 strikeouts with as a batter)

If we add a few more and cap it at 10 or 12 I think that'd work nice. Also, FANTASY DRAFT!!!

Also we are planning ahead for something that is likely to fail because of Sony Reasons

Boo Fantasy.

My team is finally stacked!

Boo Fantasy.

My team is finally stacked!

But what if I told you that you could have Joe Carter and Josh Donaldson on the same team?

You should have seen the pudge/SB early game. Thankfully they had such a hard on for ganking that they let Nightz da Gawd free farm PA.

I'll take the Diamondbacks so I can have Greinke if no AZ fan emerges. Also, don't let Rommel in!

Nah and I may not even make a thread about it (If we have no 'outsiders'). I can make a PS4 community but I think our group knows each other enough that we wouldn't completely invade the Madden off-season thread

Why the fuck am I Drizzler Trump?

48977193.jpg

Somnia

Whats with you guys and playing against Pudge lately, I think we're cursed.

doing a fantasy draft league may save my wallet. It would satiate my appetite for those stupid DD packs that I am probably going to be hunting on an hourly basis

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
This was absolutely not the problem at all. While he may not like shadow shaman after 1 game, or ever, his play on him wasn't the problem of the game. Too many things went wrong that game, starting with the hero selection (not ss), to pretend a off-lane support had anything to do with it.

Welli gets stuck sitting in the fountain looking in the shop, and I get that, the shop is overwhelming as fuck. Already 110-ish heroes to get an idea of what they do, add in all the items and you want to stab someone. BUT -- forget all that and learn the basic items and how to use them effectively. Wards wards wards.
Vision is like 70% of MaddenGAF problems, learn it early. It's why I hate playing mid, we usually lack the proper vision to play it well and go out for ganks without leaving yourself vulnerable.

I wasn't blaming or pretending to blame a off-lane support for what happened. I was just saying doing random draft for him might have been a problem, Eznark explained the logic behind it and I see now.

I take partial blame because I need to learn everything with all these heroes again, I use to off lane with DP in the past all the time with GAF and nothing was ever said about it so that's what threw me when you said I shouldn't pick her, but our lineup was pretty bad all around.

Regarding the last part I see what you mean, no vision got me wrecked in mid due to pudge coming around back to get me which caused the tower to get pushed and then it all collapsed from there.
I know I shouldn't beat myself up but I want to make a difference on the positive side and I want to win more than anything. I'm still having issues with basic gameplay mechanics, admittedly there's a fucking LOT of nuances, my main issue right now is that the bot matches are totally useless and I have to play with you all to get up to speed.

All of the strategies are similar to those we used back in the old Kohan AG days so I'm absorbing quickly it's just a matter of putting everything together. I think like you guys suggested I have to forget about the shops for now and focus on the early-mid game and it will open up the late.

Has been a very fun experience tho

DCX

DCX

Me (Marlins)
Crimson (Braves)
Rinse (Jays)
LJ (Mets)
Birdman (Rangers)
Brent (Indians)
Rob (Reds)

I might if be interested.

eznark

Banned
Aether Lens/Aghs pudge is total horse shit

right now is that the bot matches are totally useless and I have to play with you all to get up to speed.
Use bot matches to experiment with wards and learn what hero skills do. Also to get used to using items.

MLB allows you to create a legit 12 team league, not just 12 human players? If so, awesome.

Did you mean to say that we can have just 12 humans and not have a full league with some humans a bunch of CPU? (Like Madden would)

Yeah, the customization in MLB is fantastic. I can mess around with division size, how many leagues, and should we ever need a sub within the league or whatever. I can swap users/teams without people losing their teams or having something dumb happen.

only problem in years past is that games wouldn't register and even though I could award sim wins, it would always screw with the rotations slightly. they either gotta fix the issue of things not registering or have sims be actual sims and not just "4-2 and no stats were recorded" depending on our league size a round robin might be best but we'll see

I might if be interested.

Yankees?

Somnia

I know I shouldn't beat myself up but I want to make a difference on the positive side and I want to win more than anything. I'm still having issues with basic gameplay mechanics, admittedly there's a fucking LOT of nuances, my main issue right now is that the bot matches are totally useless and I have to play with you all to get up to speed.

All of the strategies are similar to those we used back in the old Kohan AG days so I'm absorbing quickly it's just a matter of putting everything together. I think like you guys suggested I have to forget about the shops for now and focus on the early-mid game and it will open up the late.

Has been a very fun experience tho

Ya it's a fun experience learning it, can be frustrating at times, but in the end it's worth it. We may yell at each other, but its part of the experience :)

One thing I learned early on with Dota is just absorb what everyone is telling me like you mentioned earlier and Eznark is right, sometimes you have to say crap that way to get people to remember. I may not act like it all the time, but I take everything these guys tell me in the game and try to improve with it.

Don't be afraid to ask anything, I bug Az on IM at work sometimes because I need to know lol

edit: Does anyone have that Ward Placement map to give to Wellie? I can't find the newest patch one.

rinse82

Did you mean to say that we can have just 12 humans and not have a full league with some humans a bunch of CPU? (Like Madden would)

Yeah, the customization in MLB is fantastic. I can mess around with division size, how many leagues, and should we ever need a sub within the league or whatever. I can swap users/teams without people losing their teams or having something dumb happen.

only problem in years past is that games wouldn't register and even though I could award sim wins, it would always screw with the rotations slightly. they either gotta fix the issue of things not registering or have sims be actual sims and not just "4-2 and no stats were recorded" depending on our league size a round robin might be best but we'll see

Yankees?

There was also that minor bug where you couldn't play any playoff games

There was also that minor bug where you couldn't play any playoff games

oh right

about that...

I remember me and lan dong tried playing the world series doing just exhibition games. after game 1 we stopped giving zero fucks lol

and it's such a shame too. this game is the ONLY sports game where you can feel the difference in atmosphere between regular season/post season/world series. I remember seeing all those fans out there and thinking HOLY SHIT!!!

brentech

I use to off lane with DP in the past all the time with GAF and nothing was ever said about it so that's what threw me when you said I shouldn't pick her, but our lineup was pretty bad all around.

No one said you shouldn't pick her. The draft screen popped up and you insta picked DP. There was no reason for any of us to assume you weren't going to play mid with that pick, you didn't say it before the pick was made.
I think a couple more of our picks were made before you said you were going to offlane her. Then, AZ picked a mid after thinking you weren't going to mid, and that kind of crumbled things from there. Thinking AZ was going to end up mid lane, I assumed we still needed a safe lane carry and tusk ended up supporting top instead of soaking up xp in the offlane. Just a perfect storm of fuckery in the draft stage. The other team has to be pretty fucking bad to come back from that.

I'd never say DP can't be played somewhere other than mid, but I DO think that that role is above your ability. Not trying to be an asshole about it, but your knowledge of the game is greater than your ability to execute it at this point because you watch 1000x more than you play. Sometimes playing it the way the pros play it just makes 0 sense and you have to accept that you're still playing at a far different level.
As you said yourself, you need to learn what some of the heroes are still doing again. Knowing that, you're probably not in the position to be playing a hero out of it's best role. Quite honestly, neither am I.

eznark

Banned
No one said you shouldn't pick her. The draft screen popped up and you insta picked DP. There was no reason for any of us to assume you weren't going to play mid with that pick, you didn't say it before the pick was made.
I think a couple more of our picks were made before you said you were going to offlane her

Somnia

I think a couple more of our picks were made before you said you were going to offlane her. Then, AZ picked a mid after thinking you weren't going to mid, and that kind of crumbled things from there. Thinking AZ was going to end up mid lane, I assumed we still needed a safe lane carry and tusk ended up supporting top instead of soaking up xp in the offlane. Just a perfect storm of fuckery in the draft stage. The other team has to be pretty fucking bad to come back from that.

I'd never say DP can't be played somewhere other than mid, but I DO think that that role is above your ability. Not trying to be an asshole about it, but your knowledge of the game is greater than your ability to execute it at this point because you watch 1000x more than you play. Sometimes playing it the way the pros play it just makes 0 sense and you have to accept that you're still playing at a far different level.
As you said yourself, you need to learn what some of the heroes are still doing again. Knowing that, you're probably not in the position to be playing a hero out of it's best role. Quite honestly, neither am I.

Regarding the bottom section, you're right I probably don't currently have the ability to play mid right now, but when is a better time to practice and try to learn it then now when we are playing games teaching someone new?

I'll be straight up that I prefer to play an initiator or support in the off lane, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Az asked if I would play mid and I said I can, he immediately said no and then he said he would. At that point you said "Why'd you pick her if you aren't playing mid", my original intention was to play mid till Az said that and then things went down from there. From now on I'll discuss my hero before picking it, which I should have anyways, so like I said that's on me.

On that note I don't think you're being an ass, I'd prefer you guys to be up front with what you think I should and can do in Dota, but also I'd like to try some new thing sometimes.

Somnia

What I was saying is that you needed to be playing mid with that particular hero.

And that's fine, like I said I'll take that game as a lesson on what not to do in the future. I screwed up and admit that, but my goal all along was to play the mid, was asked if I would, I said I can because it felt like I was being asked, but at the same time not really it felt more of a "are you really going to play mid?" and then was told no.

But in the end it's my fault and I take the fault on it because I should have discussed it prior and just been up front with my intentions. I won't make that mistake again :)

Now someone get that ward map for Wellie!

I wonder if we'll see 2GD host ever again for Valve.

I missed everything that happened, but the part of the broadcast I was watching last night he was just being extremely clowny and people were giving him shit about having basically not watched any DotA recently it seemed like. Dude seemed stupid unprofessional during the 30 or so minutes of pre-game I caught, so I'm not exactly surprised he got the can.

I guess now I know why the Russian stream had people talking and the EN stream had a static screen for so long.

Somnia

So I was going through the list of heroes I know the most playing wise:

Venegful Spirit
Crystal Maiden
Shadow Shaman
Jakiro
Rubick
Keeper
Skywrath
Bane
Lich
Witch Doctor
Death Prophet

Looking for some suggestions on new heroes to look at, I was going to watch a few replays as some people suggested and just looking to grow the list of heroes that I can play.

I'll be straight up that I prefer to play an initiator or support in the off lane, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Az asked if I would play mid and I said I can, he immediately said no and then he said he would. At that point you said "Why'd you pick her if you aren't playing mid", my original intention was to play mid till Az said that and then things went down from there. From now on I'll discuss my hero before picking it, which I should have anyways, so like I said that's on me.

That's not how it went. I asked if you were taking her mid and you were like "eh, I can but I'd prefer to go offlane."

Splat

So I was going through the list of heroes I know the most playing wise:

Venegful Spirit
Crystal Maiden
Shadow Shaman
Jakiro
Rubick
Keeper
Skywrath
Bane
Lich
Witch Doctor
Death Prophet

Looking for some suggestions on new heroes to look at, I was going to watch a few replays as some people suggested and just looking to grow the list of heroes that I can play.

Since you like stun disable supporty guys: Earthshaker, Ogre Magi, Wraith King

off laners, we never have a good off laner it seems

I can offlane for varying definitions of "good". I shall return!

Somnia

off laners, we never have a good off laner it seems

Hmm Bristleback, Spirit Breaker, Nightstalker maybe? Earth? Trying to think of some good ones.

edit: Thanks Splat.

That's not how it went. I asked if you were taking her mid and you were like "eh, I can but I'd prefer to go offlane."

I remember saying that after I said I can and you said you could mid and then I said I'd then prefer to offlane if you wanted to mid and then we went back and forth a few times on what to do lol, it's whatever moving on.

Top Bottom