• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '16 PS4 Online league thread: DOTA says

LukeSmith

JovialGiantKakarikis.gif

Wonder who both these gifs are of?

triangle is wide open

Sokantish

I noticed against Luke that I would leave the HB open so badly sometimes, either because I was watching for a screen and he went the opposite way I was expecting or I get distracted by another receiver going across the field :(

I'm going to need to work on that! Also I'm gonna use the Raiders playbook, just for my good friend Luke

LukeSmith

I noticed against Luke that I would leave the HB open so badly sometimes, either because I was watching for a screen and he went the opposite way I was expecting or I get distracted by another receiver going across the field :(

I'm going to need to work on that! Also I'm gonna use the Raiders playbook, just for my good friend Luke

I pledge IND/IND for you, Soka

I don't actually know whta offensive playbook I will try next season if anything. Indy's was fine this year

You're not supposed to control blitzing linebackers, ever. Pretty sure you can switch to them, but you can't be setting them up for the blitz and starting the play that way.
The other play is not as you described. He didn't audible the blitzed into coverage; the guy he was controlling was supposed to blitz, started his rush and was manually controlled into coverage.
The point is, you're not supposed to be controller that guy. There is no defense where those are the only guys you can control. Play as the safety that is on the TE or RB, you can still play the run. Just don't play as a blitzer, it's not hard to just play it right and this isn't his first time being told.

I can only assume that you've never played anyone else and you've been playing CPU's for the last year if THESE are the "horrible cheese, Madden AIDS" shit that has caused this holy crusade.

As for the bolded, see above. There is zero different playing MLB who is being told to blitz via play art, going back into coverage manually vs. being in coverage and then going into a blitz/running to the LoS to stop a run, which everyone does. Those gifs were from over a year ago during my first or second game, blitzing on pass plays, which was and is illegal.

Much Ado About Nothing

I can only assume that you've never played anyone else and you've been playing CPU's for the last year if THESE are the "horrible cheese, Madden AIDS" shit that has caused this holy crusade.

As for the bolded, see above. There is zero different playing MLB who is being told to blitz via play art, going back into coverage manually vs. being in coverage and then going into a blitz/running to the LoS to stop a run, which everyone does.

Much Ado About Nothing

Maybe I'm not interpreting things right, but even if the MLB is an assigned blitzer, you are not to control him unless it is on accident, which it happens on occasion as we're switching players. But if the MLB is a blitzer, you leave him alone, period. He is not allowed to have the option of dropping back. This has been a rule for years now.

Somebody controlling the linebacker who has a zone is allowed to go stop the run. However, he is not allowed to pursue the QB unless the QB rolls out of the pocket.

eznark

Banned

As for the bolded, see above. There is zero different playing MLB who is being told to blitz via play art, going back into coverage manually vs. being in coverage and then going into a blitz/running to the LoS to stop a run, which everyone does. Those gifs were from over a year ago during my first or second game, blitzing on pass plays, which was and is illegal.

Much Ado About Nothing

You are the only one who does the shit in those gifs. Although, I guess if I saw you doing it I would do it too, so maybe when they play you everyone does play like a shit head.

Let's stick to the main point. Did you control a MLB that was assigned or hot routed to a blitz? Because that's illegal in all circumstances. If you have an MLB assigned to blitz, then you go take over the D-Line, or a defender in man or zone. You never control a blitzer unless it is an outside 3-4 Linebacker who is at the line in a pass rush formation.

brentech

Lol. Thats the kind of movement you see in a random online game. People just spazzing out with a defender pre-snap

This wasn't from the game we just played, but from the first time I had to play him in the league. The reason I posed these was to make the point that he was told back then not to blitz with linebackers.

That's not what he did during this game. Just using the MLBers on the blitz. But I've seen FMT say multiple times over each iteration of the game that you're not to control a blitzer if he's not a down lineman. It slowly opens up to a possible nano. Just no reason to do it when you can control someone else ever the middle instead of playing a dude that starts a rush, makes the offensive line adjust for him, then pulls back or actually does rush. It still has an effect on the game.

You're not supposed to control blitzing linebackers, ever. Pretty sure you can switch to them, but you can't be setting them up for the blitz and starting the play that way.
The other play is not as you described. He didn't audible the blitzed into coverage; the guy he was controlling was supposed to blitz, started his rush and was manually controlled into coverage.
The point is, you're not supposed to be controller that guy. There is no defense where those are the only guys you can control. Play as the safety that is on the TE or RB, you can still play the run. Just don't play as a blitzer, it's not hard to just play it right and this isn't his first time being told.

JovialGiantKakarikis.gif

MeagerLikableCub.gif

Wonder who both these gifs are of?

That amount of pre-snap bull shit from the LBer is the kind of thing I'd expect from Madden School and not the kind of thing I signed up to play against in this league. That shit pissed me off to no end.

Alright, so I've seen footage of what happened.

TLBB, you aren't supposed to control a blitzing linebacker at all, unless it is a 3-4 OLB who is at the line in a ground stance. I guess you didn't know this was a rule, but it's a rule. You can absolutely hot route the MLB to coverage in those 3 gap blitzes, but that's not what happened here because I saw him take steps towards the QB as if he was blitzing before you pulled him back.

I don't know who else has done this to you, but I know for sure I have done this on occasion on accident as I'm shuffling through guys. It happens to us all! And I personally just stop moving the guy and don't let him blitz or cover if I get caught in the middle of the snap because I know it's not legal.

So again as a reminder for ALL of us:

YOU CAN:
-Control an outside linebacker in a 3-4 pass rush formation, if it's an OLB in a 2-4-5 who is clearly playing the same role that a 4-3 DE would.
-Control a middle or inside linebacker who is in coverage, and if the QB leaves the pocket or you notice it's a running play, you may pursue him.

YOU CANNOT:
-Control a middle or inside linebacker or defensive back who is assigned to blitz, whether or not he was originally supposed to or was audibled to do so. It doesn't matter if you think it's a run but want to control him in case it's a pass. Leave them be.

And yes, it's a draft champions game. But still, don't do it.

Let's stick to the main point. Did you control a MLB that was assigned or hot routed to a blitz? Because that's illegal in all circumstances. If you have an MLB assigned to blitz, then you go take over the D-Line, or a defender in man or zone. You never control a blitzer unless it is an outside 3-4 Linebacker who is at the line in a pass rush formation.

yea, I used a MLB that was assigned on a blitz(not hot routed). If it was a run animation, I ran forward, if it was a pass I stayed back, if it was a PA I would run away from the QB if I was in a position to get a sack. I don't see how it's any different than usering a MLB who is in man coverage/zone and overriding it to run up the middle to the HB, but if it's illegal then I fucked up and I'm sorry.

DCX

DCX
I didn't know we couldn't assign a previous blitzing LB into a zone or man coverage based on what the offense does.

It almost gives the offense complete control. You can hot every single route without penalty :/

DCX

brentech

I didn't know we couldn't assign a previous blitzing LB into a zone or man coverage based on what the offense does.

It almost gives the offense complete control. You can hot every single route without penalty :/

DCX

You can audible a blitzer. That's not the issue.

eznark

Banned

DCX

How do you get this from "don't manually control a blitzing linebacker"

yea, I used a MLB that was assigned on a blitz(not hot routed). If it was a run animation, I ran forward, if it was a pass I stayed back, if it was a PA I would run away from the QB if I was in a position to get a sack. I don't see how it's any different than usering a MLB who is in man coverage/zone and overriding it to run up the middle to the HB, but if it's illegal then I fucked up and I'm sorry.

If you want to do that, audible him into coverage then. The reason it's not fair is because it messes with the opposing line's AI logic as far as who to block and it can be a very significant advantage for the defense if they are reacting as if a linebacker is going to blitz but then he doesn't.

But really, I'm not sure how I feel about defensive audibles of any kind except for changing a zoner to a spy or putting a DE in contain...we call the defensive plays for a reason!

I take linebackers in coverage and often don't have them covering their original zone because I'm usually take away a specific read, but the offense can benefit from that just as much.

DCX

DCX
You can audible a blitzer. That's not the issue.
I'm not understanding then. Cover three cross blitz where both MLB blitz..I see number WR in the slot I switch over to closest previous blitzing LB, assign him to a zone and manually control to shade WR.

I can't do that? I have to just get fucked as he hot routes WR to fuck me?

DCX

eznark

Banned
I'm not understanding then. Cover three cross blitz where both MLB blitz..I see number WR in the slot I switch over to closest previous blitzing LB, assign him to a zone and manually control to shade WR.

DCX

jesus christ

DCX

no, you can do that, you just can't leave the LB on blitz when you go to cover, you need to change him to a zone/man coverage.

It's very simple, we( I ) can't keep a MLB/LB in blitz if you user him, you have to put him into a coverage via hot route.

DCX

You can do that. But if you keep him in a blitz you cannot control him

If he's assigned to blitz you can't control him and you must let him think he has to pursue the QB. but if you get wind that their slot guy wants to run a drag or whatever and you want to add coverage for that, then put him in man or zone or whatever. just don't allow him to make that initial blitz movement and trick the line or the other guy into thinking he's a blitzer when he isn't

people disguise blitzes and fake them out before plays, that's fine, but nobody ever starts running towards the QB and then says "nope never mind dropping back!"

Sokantish

In Draft Champions mode I don't have the new catch buttons. Is there a setting for that where I have to turn it on or is that off for everyone?

DCX

DCX
You can do that. But if you keep him in a blitz you cannot control him
Thanks.

Thank you based commish for actually taking the time to clarify.

Do we have a ruling on chew clock? Can we chew as soon as the second half starts?

DCX

Thanks.

Thank you based commish for actually taking the time to clarify.

Do we have a ruling on chew clock? Can we chew as soon as the second half starts?

DCX

We don't officially have chew clock rules, but my feeling on it is to completely avoid it unless you're down by a ton and just want to end the game..

As far as when we can chew clock, if I could propose an appropriate time...let's say we're at the end of a half, and it's a situation where the other team wants and needs the ball back, and they would normally have to use a timeout. If they don't use a timeout, feel free to burn.

Scenario:
I am leading 20-17 with 3:30 left to go in the 4th quarter, and my opponent has all 3 timeouts. I have a first down and I am driving down the field. I run the ball for 3 yards. If my opponent does not use a timeout, I will let that clock run all the way down to the last second. He shouldn't get the ball back easily with well over 2 minutes left just because. BUT let's say you are the offense and there's 5 minutes left, instead of 3ish in a situation where a team would normally be forced to use timeouts...try not to take forever please.

With that being said, some of us do audible a lot and do a lot of pre-snap reads. Some of us also take a while to pick plays. Unless this is a really bad habit or is so blatant and constantly every play, I don't think we should take issue. I played games with FMT where I was hunting around in the playbook until like 15 seconds left on the clock, which means I spent 25 seconds looking. I didn't mean to be a dick! I was just very intent on choosing the right play and it took time.

DCX

DCX
We don't officially have chew clock rules, but my feeling on it is to completely avoid it unless you're down by a ton and just want to end the game..

As far as when we can chew clock, if I could propose an appropriate time...let's say we're at the end of a half, and it's a situation where the other team wants and needs the ball back, and they would normally have to use a timeout. If they don't use a timeout, feel free to burn.

Scenario:
I am leading 20-17 with 3:30 left to go in the 4th quarter, and my opponent has all 3 timeouts. I have a first down and I am driving down the field. I run the ball for 3 yards. If my opponent does not use a timeout, I will let that clock run all the way down to the last second. He shouldn't get the ball back easily with well over 2 minutes left just because. BUT let's say you are the offense and there's 5 minutes left, instead of 3ish in a situation where a team would normally be forced to use timeouts...try not to take forever please.

With that being said, some of us do audible a lot and do a lot of pre-snap reads. Some of us also take a while to pick plays. Unless this is a really bad habit or is so blatant and constantly every play, I don't think we should take issue. I played games with FMT where I was hunting around in the playbook until like 15 seconds left on the clock, which means I spent 25 seconds looking. I didn't mean to be a dick! I was just very intent on choosing the right play and it took time.
That's how I always felt, thanks!

DCX

Top Bottom