• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '17 PS4 Online League Thread: DOTA is dead, long live DOTA

I think madden is fucking awful this year. I could make a long list or essay as to why I think that is the case, but im not sure what or who that benefits. Its what I believe, not what im trying to prove to someone. It doesnt change the validity of that belief. Its not exactly debate class.

Ill connect those feelings to 2K and FMT's opinion and leave it at that.

I enjoy the fact that I called Madden garbage, you told me not to tilt and now a couple games later you're on the Madden is garbage train.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I enjoy the fact that I called Madden garbage, you told me not to tilt and now a couple games later you're on the Madden is garbage train.

I was wrong! Partially. You can still figure this game out to a degree and find a way to beat your opponent and EA, I just dont have the patience to work that out, atleast not during this season (this might also be attributed to madden fatigue, which I felt might be an issue even before 17 came out, as we played last years game pretty deep into this year). Ill give it another shot in season 2. Right now, as soon as some bullshit happens I usually just throw a dota stream on the computer and split my attention between the two.

Also, I still get the feeling that franchise games play a bit differently than regular scrimmage games? It wouldnt be the first time that was the case. The jank was not nearly as noticible in those.

Every animation seems totally wrong this year and it impacts gameplay. Also there are baffling catch rules behind the curtain. I was doing my practice stuff (scissors concept) and every time I tried to throw the corner the ball hit an invisible wall 9 yards from LoS. It was amazing. Did it 7 times.

Does the BF early adopter edition get you a season pass or anything?

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Every animation seems totally wrong this year and it impacts gameplay.

These have been pretty noticible. A week or two ago I had a WR warp a good five yards so it could set up into a contested catch animation. It gave me 2k vibes.

DJ Bowser

Every animation seems totally wrong this year and it impacts gameplay. Also there are baffling catch rules behind the curtain. I was doing my practice stuff (scissors concept) and every time I tried to throw the corner the ball hit an invisible wall 9 yards from LoS. It was amazing. Did it 7 times.

Does the BF early adopter edition get you a season pass or anything?
In practice mode, there seems to be one defender invisible half the time. That defender could have been the "wall" each time.

I gotta be honest, I think I just have played sports games so much, I'm just numb to that kind of shit now and I don't care anymore. I mostly enjoy the fact that I get to play in a real 32 human league, something most sports gamers can't lay claim to.

My justification for something stupid happening is that it happens in real life sometimes too.

I gotta be honest, I think I just have played sports games so much, I'm just numb to that kind of shit now and I don't care anymore. I mostly enjoy the fact that I get to play in a real 32 human league, something most sports gamers can't lay claim to.

My justification for something stupid happening is that it happens in real life sometimes too.

Oh, I'm not complaining, any more than normal. I don't really give a shit about the game, I just go through the motions until it's time to shit on CB or Bob, anyway.

In practice mode, there seems to be one defender invisible half the time. That defender could have been the "wall" each time.
wut

DJ Bowser

Oh, I'm not complaining, any more than normal. I don't really give a shit about the game, I just go through the motions until it's time to shit on CB or Bob, anyway.

wut
The last time I did practice, I had the invisible wall issue going on, then I counted the defenders- I could only see 10 on the field and the RE was invisible but everyone reacted to him and he made tackles.

Practice mode is super glitchy this year.

What I think sucks this year is that there is obviously the framework for a good game here, there's a lot of garbage that seems to exist solely to add bullet points to the back of the box or justify some designers job. And it's frustrating that there are so many lingering bugs that go unfixed in favor of unbalanced new features.

This is the best on field madden in years. I don't disagree there are issues, but for the first time in a long time the playbooks are wide open. Man and zone are effective. All routes are effective. I agree with cb that on some of the jump balls we get the canned animation on the jump ball and I wish there was more user input on the outcome but unless you are throwing up a bunch of jump balls every game I don't consider this major.

What i like best is the have toned down (not eliminated) the superman defensive plays where you can't fit things in or make tight throws.

I also love the defensive audibles (cover hard falt, inside, outside, etc) have a major effect. This alows for a nice cat and mouse game against a good opponent, which is why I love playing.

Game has plenty of issues and it always will but it has been enjoyabe to me. Just wish they could fix the CFM stat bugs :/

DJ Bowser

All flaws aside, I really like the game as well. My main complaints would be QB fumbles and ineffective between the tackles running, but I'm also trying to use Kenyan Drake as a bell-cow back so maybe next season I'll have a different experience.

I've enjoyed the games I didn't just get drunk and chuck it like a fool and the improvements to coverages have made me better on defense. Looking forward to season 2!

And obviously the draft.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I gotta side with my boy FMT. In this years Madden I feel like I am much more in control of what happens on the field. The new adjustment you can make on defense have really helped my game. I used to despise playing D and most of the time I would just pick a play from the suggestions list user control a DT and hope for the best. Now I feel like I can make an impact on defense with my user controlled LB or safety because they are much more responsive on field.

Offensive playbooks seem a lot better. Being able to make possession catches are a nice add too. There are still way too many drops imo and offensive line blocking is still hit or miss sometimes but overall I think its an improvement over last year.

Most of all the reason I like this years game better is I'm actually winning games and playing competitive football finally. It's taken me 4 years of getting my ass stomped out but it's starting to pay off this year. :)

brentech

Going to buy the ultimate edition on PS4 and just pick up PC sometime down the road if I go that route. Looks like ultimate edition is the only one that gives you map packs when they release.

DCX

DCX
I love the game but the way the running game changed is taking me a long time to get used to.

The defense and ability to run all the routes and actually make the throws is nice.

DCX

brentech

I love the game but the way the running game changed is taking me a long time to get used to.

The defense and ability to run all the routes and actually make the throws is nice.

DCX

Yeah, the running game seemed dumb as fuck when I first got it, but I've finally managed to get a handle on it after playing against All-Madden CPU a bit.

DCX

DCX
Yeah, the running game seemed dumb as fuck when I first got it, but I've finally managed to get a handle on it after playing against All-Madden CPU a bit.
I think it's alot easier with power backs. I just have to commit to it.

I may have to look for a power back with speed in the draft.

Freeman can be had folks

DCX

The QB fumbles are actually a really good and realistic thing, you can't just be invincible during your throw animation anymore to get it out at the last second

LukeSmith

game seems fine, I've played as many games this year as I have in the league

no clue how really anything works
can't run the ball at all, but I'm the Colts so that seems like par for the course

Smokey

Been playing the BF1 trial on X1, and it's pretty great. Also the intro to the SP is done really well.

I doubt the game will be the clusterfuck that was BF4 at launch. For one that game launched across 2 different gens, and two, they've had the beta and this staggered "early release". I've the feeling companies do this to not only make extra money from the diehards, but to gradually increase the load on the network, vs everyone hopping in at once on release day. I'm gonna GF it on PS4, but I'll move back to PC whenever I decide to get a GPU.

brentech

Been playing the BF1 trial on X1, and it's pretty great. Also the intro to the SP is done really well.

I doubt the game will be the clusterfuck that was BF4 at launch. For one that game launched across 2 different gens, and two, they've had the beta and this staggered "early release". I've the feeling companies do this to not only make extra money from the diehards, but to gradually increase the load on the network, vs everyone hopping in at once on release day. I'm gonna GF it on PS4, but I'll move back to PC whenever I decide to get a GPU.

Currently downloading on PS4. How quick the tide turned.
dac15_sad.gif

Looking at that chart, I'm actually surprised that many people still play BF4 through all that time.

Smokey

Currently downloading on PS4. How quick the tide turned.
dac15_sad.gif

Looking at that chart, I'm actually surprised that many people still play BF4 through all that time.

Despite the launch issues, the final product is one of the best MP games on the market. DICE did good work with BF4 Premium too.

BigAT

Is there any reason to hold onto a PS3 at this point? It never really had the "arcade" library that XBLA had, at least for me.

They really need to get on making a Demon's Souls remaster though. With all the cash grab remakes that have happened this gen, I don't know how that still hasn't been made.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
On kicks or otherwise?

It's never ending, it's always the circle button, it's the worst. I mean, at this point it's probably the controller, though it works fine in other games.

Coming down nearer the end of the game, a game already going wrong, but 3 sacks from sitting there waiting on Circle, where every time it surprises me that it didn't throw the ball, and dooms the play.

Knew it was bad when I got up 14-0 and had like 3 early INT's off T, and then my offense died from sack abuse. My defense, after feeling like it's done alright the last few games, decides the middle must be open 24-7. Just a slightly different variation of frustrating game than the game against you.

Is there any reason to hold onto a PS3 at this point? It never really had the "arcade" library that XBLA had, at least for me.

They really need to get on making a Demon's Souls remaster though. With all the cash grab remakes that have happened this gen, I don't know how that still hasn't been made.

I have a shit load of good free ps3 games from ps+ so I'd never sell it. But the store is so bad and slow.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Weird, for me it always triangle that doesn't register. Thankfully it's only happened occasionally and only on the play selection screen so far. When it happens I am completely unable to select a triangle play in any formation on that down.

I considered this but then I remembered I didn't even play any of those really even when my PS3 was still hooked up.

I was playing the Simpsons arcade game (which was ps+ but now it's delisted) the other day and remembered how fucking cheap it is. I probably spent $100+ on this game in my life at various arcades

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Weird, for me it always triangle that doesn't register. Thankfully it's only happened occasionally and only on the play selection screen so far. When it happens I am completely unable to select a triangle play in any formation on that down.

My playcall screen oddity, is that sometimes it'll fast scroll through whatever page I'm on, whether it's formations or the plays in a formation. Just continuous scrolling, fixed by exiting out of the playbook and going back in.

DJ Bowser

GG Pete. Well, bg but enjoyable.

Wrong button pick-6 was the dagger.

Lost my favorite defensive player for the season :(

Last two playable games of the week are already in progress. What a time to be alive.

Top Bottom