• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '17 PS4 Online League Thread: DOTA is dead, long live DOTA

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Canes is so hilariously overrated

It's chicken tenders with bland sauce

YES! This. They opened one close to where I live and needed to have 3 police cruisers there to direct traffic in the parking lot and as you turn out to the main road.

I waited a few months to go and they are Costco breaded chicken fingers, crinkle cut fries, and a piece of Texas toast. I can make the whole meal using shit from Costco. Their sauce is legit though I'll at least five them that.

Have we decided on a draft time?

BigAT

Draft voting (times are 6 pm pst on each day):

Tuesday: 7
Wednesday: 5
Thursday: 1

not even half the league has voted so vote!

What?! Why have you abandoned me brothers?

hRxmNw7.gif

DCX

DCX
Last year they had bars that showed how you rated in a bunch of categories for a FA. For some reason those are all gone this year. They made the UI less informative.
Makes it feel more like how a GM would attack free agency. They had an idea of what a player wants but players true intentions are really never known. I do like they rate the bids by points.

Almost like the agent laid it out for you to increase your bid or move on.

I agree with Claude but who knows what the players would do if all they got were max four years from suitors. Maybe money and preferences trump all regardless of years.

Can someone test a franchise with Max four years?

DCX

Makes it feel more like how a GM would attack free agency. They had an idea of what a player wants but players true intentions are really never known. I do like they rate the bids by points.

I agree with Claude but who knows what the players would do if all they got were max four years from suitors. Maybe money and preferences trump all regardless of years.

Can someone test a franchise with Max four years?

DCX

This would be great. If it works I think we should implement it. Forces real choices.

How does it force real choices? Seems like it just makes things more unpredictable. It's madden. We'll never get a sim cap system.The idea of a sim cap system in madden is laughable to me, it's just too complex. At least it's fair? I say lets just work with what we got, it's hard enough to figure out,

How does it force real choices? Seems like it just makes things more unpredictable. It's madden. We'll never get a sim cap system.The idea of a sim cap system in madden is laughable to me, it's just too complex. At least it's fair? I say lets just work with what we got, it's hard enough to figure out,

wut

Honestly if the current system is too opaque for you to comprehend then there is no way I'll be able to explain why that current system is effectively non-functional as a market limiter (which is the point of a cap system).

brentech

eh, signing players with no consequence of the end result is lame. Browns, Packers, doesn't mattter what team I've had, the salary cap has never prevented me from keeping the guys I want on my team.
Trying to sign everyone at 4 years (assuming the players accept it with enough money), would force real choices

In our OOTP league, it's pretty hilarious watching Rommel try to pawn off his shit contract of an older outfielder. Trying to give away the player and prospects just to get the guy off the books, because we play into those future years and every bit of the contract matters.

BigAT

latest

eh, signing players with no consequence of the end result is lame. Browns, Packers, doesn't mattter what team I've had, the salary cap has never prevented me from keeping the guys I want on my team.
Trying to sign everyone at 4 years (assuming the players accept it with enough money), would force real choices

In our OOTP league, it's pretty hilarious watching Rommel try to pawn off his shit contract of an older outfielder. Trying to give away the player and prospects just to get the guy off the books, because we play into those future years and every bit of the contract matters.

Yeah, worst case scenario now is you don't have room to sign all of the guys you want, whereas in real life (and in a simulator like OOTP) the end result, even if you've done a good job managing your salary, is that you have to make hard decisions about cutting guys loose. I've never had that happen in Madden because we have a massively inflated cap as a result of contracts that are 60% imaginary.

wut

Honestly if the current system is too opaque for you to comprehend then there is no way I'll be able to explain why that current system is effectively non-functional as a market limiter (which is the point of a cap system).
Yeah that's what I meant.
What some players do is already unpredictable. I understand how a cap system works and I understand that limiting the number of years won't change the yearly size of these contracts. It'll just make what the player does more unpredictable.

The current cap is a limiter. I don't see how it isn't. FAs get overpaid but the cap is still very much there.... As someone with under $10M to spend on FA, How is it not a limited?

Ohhhh, so because you guys have all this extra cap space for losing FA you want to punish the winners by not letting me resign people they need. At least that makes more sense, but to me they're punished already because they won't be as big of players next FA. I'm still opposed because of the unknown affects of this. I already failed to resign a huge piece. Same with LLB. Sooooooo......

Yeah that's what I meant.
What some players do is already unpredictable. I understand how a cap system works and I understand that limiting the number of years won't change the yearly size of these contracts. It'll just make what the player does more unpredictable.

The current cap is a limiter. I don't see how it isn't. FAs get overpaid but the cap is still very much there.... As someone with under $10M to spend on FA, How is it not a limited?

Every team is different, you're fucked as a result of the real world inherited contracts, and then you are double fucked by people like me who have tons of room to throw around on 7 year deals knowing only 3-4 years matter. By the time your contract situation is better (say you cut Tanny or something) the market is so inflated by teams with better starting cap situations that you can never really catch up.

Which really is fine because as FMT showed, the roster doesn't matter all that much at the end of the day.

But if we did want to make team building more realistic there would need to be artificial limits on contract length just to even the playing field somewhat and to make our league operate more in concert with the inherited real world contracts.

Ohhhh, so because you guys have all this extra cap space for losing FA you want to punish the winners by not letting me resign people they need. At least that makes more sense, but to me they're punished already because they won't be as big of players next FA. I'm still opposed because of the unknown affects of this. I already failed to resign a huge piece. Same with LLB. Sooooooo......

I have no idea what this means or what anything I have said has to do with "winners"

We are all forced to deal with the contracts we inherit. I'm trying to come up with a way to make the game operate under the same parameters as those existing contracts. It's probably not possible because Madden has never cared about the GM mode enough to make FA decision making realistic.

How does that help? They will still be offering much better contracts lol. I still have under $10M to spend. 4yrs or 7yrs my competitive disadvantage doesn't change.

I meant to put FA winners. I also meant to write 'em not me. As in the people who sign Collins but won't have that kinda cap space next season.

rinse82

Guys, nothing is changing so let's not waste our efforts.

Instead, the focus should be on garnering enough votes for a Wednesday draft!

Just saw that EBGames/Gamestop here is offering $210 for a OG PS4 to trade up to a Pro, not bad!

Rommel's collapse has been exactly what would happen to a lot of people in this league if we played beyond 4 seasons. Especially because he kept giving guys contracts before he had to and based on limited performance.

DCX

I did notice when I made my bid it broke up how much some parts of it weighed towards the player taking it.

The limit to contract length would not help teams with bad cap situations, nothing can help that (unless FMT wants to wave a magic wand again) it would reduce the competitive advantage of teams with great cap situations.

An advantage is relative by definition. If my opponents are worse off then I'm better off. I still am failing to see how they're worse off tho? Unless you're assuming this league goes 5 more seasons after this one?

So it reduces the competitive advantage of teams with good cap situations (not seeing how still) while not giving those worst off an advantage? In my eyes that's contradictory. If their opponents are worse off in FA then they're better off? Or what would the tucking point be in the first place? What are we even talking about.

But yeah, holy shit.

brentech

So it reduces the competitive advantage of teams with good cap situations (not seeing how still) while not giving those worst off an advantage? In my eyes that's contradictory. If their opponents are worse off in FA then they're better off? Or what would the tucking point be in the first place? What are we even talking about.

But yeah, holy shit.

5402866-7690618019-giphy.gif

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Holy shit checked who I will have to resign next year and I think I am going to hold off on my spending for now. Xavier Rhodes, Shariff Floyd, Anthony Barr, Peterson (if he doesn't get Beason'd), Bridgewater. I'm ded.

Me trying to read these posts:

YhbIlem.gif

Same bro, same.

An advantage is relative by definition. If my opponents are worse off then I'm better off. I still am failing to see how they're worse off tho? Unless you're assuming this league goes 5 more seasons after this one?

But yeah, holy shit.

giphy.gif

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Holy shit checked who I will have to resign next year and I think I am going to hold off on my spending for now. Xavier Rhodes, Shariff Floyd, Anthony Barr, Peterson (if he doesn't get Beason'd), Bridgewater. I'm ded.

Same bro, same.

Was hoping Bree's would retire, but nope, 22 million.

Top Bottom