• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '17 PS4 Online League Thread: DOTA is dead, long live DOTA

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
An expensive BMW registered to L.A. Rams star wide receiver Tavon Austin was involved in a police chase in California on Wednesday and the driver was arrested ... TMZ Sports has learned.

Some real bang up moves from the Rams

Currently, my two games were (from kickoff to end game)

Week 1: 37 minutes
Week 2: 35 minutes

Avg: 36 minutes

I have highlights of the last years season, taking a random sample of four games...

Game 1: 59 minutes
Game 2: 54 minutes
Game 3: 55 minutes
Game 4: 1 hour 2 minutes

Avg: 56 minutes

Last year we had no acceleration clock, I checked. That accounts for the near doubling of game time.

How many plays though? Game length is less relevant than plays and possessions.

How many plays though? Game length is less relevant than plays and possessions.

Game length and plays + possessions are going to be associated simply due to "more time = more plays", although the connection may not be linear in nature (based on different play styles like Welli running the clock down till the universe dies of heat death, or someone like Bowser who likes to snap it off as soon as possible)

When I get home I'll do a more detailed run down of samples from Madden 16 games and games from this season that people have streamed.

I will say that while the game length doesn't bother me too much, I do find myself abandoning the run earlier unless I'm way ahead. It's harder to run this year and with less time to run your offense, it kind feels like the game is almost over by the time you've established it.

I will say that while the game length doesn't bother me too much, I do find myself abandoning the run earlier unless I'm way ahead. It's harder to run this year and with less time to run your offense, it kind feels like the game is almost over by the time you've established it.

This is my main concern with game length. There is little time to get a game-plan established or even attempt a come-back without slinging it in the third quarter if you're down by two scores.

We saw FMT having to no huddle five minutes into the fourth quarter against you only down by 10, simply because if he had used normal play calling, by the time he was down in the redzone the two minute warning would have hit already.

I don't think anyone had an issue with game length last year, maybe it was a little too long, but current length is simply far too short.

brentech

This is my main concern with game length. There is little time to get a game-plan established or even attempt a come-back without slinging it in the third quarter if you're down by two scores.

We saw FMT having to no huddle five minutes into the fourth quarter against you only down by 10, simply because if he had used normal play calling, by the time he was down in the redzone the two minute warning would have hit already.

I don't think anyone had an issue with game length last year, maybe it was a little too long, but current length is simply far too short.

Adjusting the playclock by 5 seconds won't change this.
People that run the clock aren't going to stop running the clock, it just gives them more time to think.

If people legit want games longer, the only solution is to increase quarter length.

Happy-Gilmore-Thumbs-Down.gif

Adjusting the playclock by 5 seconds won't change this.
People that run the clock aren't going to stop running the clock, it just gives them more time to think.

If people legit want games longer, the only solution is to increase quarter length.

Happy-Gilmore-Thumbs-Down.gif

Well, yea, I'm advocating for 30 seconds of acceleration clock to start off. No acceleration clock didn't prevent people running down the clock last season, however most people don't burn up the entire clock, that style is limited to a few people in the league.

When I get home, I'm gonna go stream hunting and see if Drizzler wants to help me test out game length to see what's the best combination of things.

Games are about 80 plays long right now. If you add 10 seconds per play back, you've added about 13 minutes of real world time back to each game session.

Bread

Banned
Me and cheeto's game last night was 40 minutes. I run the ball a lot so I feel like my games will always be this short.

We should try a league with 15 minute quarters and no accel clock

No although I would be down to attempt that with someone one day......

BigAT

You guys that are complaining about games being too short, just play your games 2-3 times like I have to and it will take care of the problem.

i hate running hurry up but i had to because with a 10 point defecit in the 4th, i would have basically had no time left after scoring my first TD.

at the beginning of the 2nd half i was down 17-0. i didn't run any no huddle in the 3rd and on my first drive i scored a TD. by the time that drive was over, i think there was 1:30 left in the 3rd quarter? kinda shitty :/

ultimately in the game, i ran over 60 plays. mostly because az had short drives thanks to the fumbles. i think there maybe needs to be a little bit more time for each team but there are also going to be games where both teams get long TD's and your yardage will be high despite lesser plays.

if it were my choice alone, i think i would prefer doing 6 min quarters with no accel clock. i would never feel the need to do accel clock and the way i call plays i would get a ton of plays off. i rarely take long to pick a play.

i hate running hurry up but i had to because with a 10 point defecit in the 4th, i would have basically had no time left after scoring my first TD.

at the beginning of the 2nd half i was down 17-0. i didn't run any no huddle in the 3rd and on my first drive i scored a TD. by the time that drive was over, i think there was 1:30 left in the 3rd quarter? kinda shitty :/

ultimately in the game, i ran over 60 plays. mostly because az had short drives thanks to the fumbles. i think there maybe needs to be a little bit more time for each team but there are also going to be games where both teams get long TD's and your yardage will be high despite lesser plays.

if it were my choice alone, i think i would prefer doing 6 min quarters with no accel clock. i would never feel the need to do accel clock and the way i call plays i would get a ton of plays off. i rarely take long to pick a play.

I would be down with trying that

Splat

I think we did 6 min no accel back in Madden25 or whatever, right? I think it worked out okay. So long as we get to punch anyone that grinds it down to 1 second manually instead of chew clock.

People who burn clock with 20 sec acceleration are doing just fine with their play/audibles having, at best, 14 seconds (takes around six to five seconds to get to line) to get the play off.

So, we can either verbally and physically assault anyone who is draining a 35 second play clock down to 10 seconds or less, or we bump up quarter length by a few minutes and keep acceleration clock at 20 seconds so we don't have to deal with that.

Personally I'm for keeping acceleration clock to force pace of game to move along, while increasing quarter length by 2 minutes to increase game length.

I think I'm somewhere in the middle when it comes to how far into the clock I call the play, sometimes I do take forever and sometimes I know exactly what I'm going for, I personally prefer it off because of that

When I check at the LOS, I'm really not a hot route person, I just see my play art and try to envision if it's going to work against the defense, if I don't like it, I abort to something else, so plan B is usually when I take forever

I think I'm somewhere in the middle when it comes to how far into the clock I call the play, sometimes I do take forever and sometimes I know exactly what I'm going for, I personally prefer it off because of that

When I check at the LOS, I'm really not a hot route person, I just see my play art and try to envision if it's going to work against the defense, if I don't like it, I abort to something else, so plan B is usually when I take forever
Yeah I do the same thing except before the audible I may do a hot route if I see something that makes sense.

I think we should make quarters like a minute longer and change accel clock to 25. Whatever though!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Evil Geniuses (EG), a world-leading pro gaming team, is excited to announce a new generation of the brand's Dota 2 team, featuring Andreas Franck 'Cr1t-' Nielsen, Syed 'Suma1l' Hassan, Saahil 'UNiVeRsE' Arora, Ludwig 'zai' Wåhlberg. Rounding out the team will be Artour 'Arteezy' Babaev who will be making his return for a second time following two successful stints with EG previously.
Arteezy back to EG? WEIRD.

Imma head down to Best Buy and "preorder" and see what happens.

DCX

yes you will absolutely get it. i "pre-ordered" madden at 8 pm the day before release and "picked up" my preorder at 9 pm the same day since they had an after-closing release for it. you will be fine at best buy. you could even order from their website now for in-store pick up and you'll be able to get it tomorrow

p.s.

if you don't have GCU let me know and i can order it for you for pickup at your best buy, then you could just paypal me whatever the amount is

DCX

DCX
yes you will absolutely get it. i "pre-ordered" madden at 8 pm the day before release and "picked up" my preorder at 9 pm the same day since they had an after-closing release for it. you will be fine at best buy. you could even order from their website now for in-store pick up and you'll be able to get it tomorrow

p.s.

if you don't have GCU let me know and i can order it for you for pickup at your best buy, then you could just paypal me whatever the amount is
Thanks brosef! I do have GCU!

DCX

DCX

DCX
So I preordered. Pick up tomorrow. Didn't take my GCU % becuase I am not actually picking the game up. They will take it off when I pick up.

I paid full price...I think homeboy was being lazy.

DCX

Smokey

😂😂😂😂😂😃😂😃😃😃😃😃😂😂

Top Bottom