• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden 2005 Thread

DMczaf

I really should have done this sooner, time to put all Madden 2005 info in one thread! lol

http://www.easports.com/games/madden2005/home.jsp

Franchise Mode (or Storyline Central)

The newspapers in Storyline Central work just like the papers you read at home on Sunday morning. Every team in Franchise Mode has a newspaper from their local city that discusses only the stories that pertain to that team. In addition to the local papers there's USA Today, the national paper featuring the most important stories from across the entire NFL. Every week, you'll see articles about the game you just played, your upcoming game, injuries, playing times, your rankings on offense and defense, etc -- practically everything that happens in Franchise Mode can and will show up in the newspapers.

Newspaper video : http://files.ea.com/downloads/sports_videos/madden2005/news_hi.mov

The second part of Storyline Central is the Tony Bruno Show on EA SPORTS Radio. Each week, host Tony Bruno breaks down the biggest stories in the NFL on talk radio. The show feels just like a real sports radio show, featuring callers, player and coach interviews, trivia questions, and the occasional rant from Tony himself. There are 15 NFL coaches and over 60 different fans that call in, and the show is driven by events in Franchise Mode, so every team is mentioned based on the magnitude of the events happening to them.

EA Sports Radio video: http://files.ea.com/downloads/sports_videos/madden2005/easportsradio_hi.mov

The third aspect is email. Each week, you'll receive emails about everything going on with your team -- email from players, coaches, general managers, the PR department, you name it. If a player is upset about his playing time, you're definitely going to hear about it. In addition to sending and receiving email, you can do a multitude of day-to-day tasks from the email screen. Depending on what's happening to your team at the time, you can use the email screen to check your gameplan, make changes in your depth chart, read last week's box score, or place an injured player on IR.

Email video: http://files.ea.com/downloads/sports_videos/madden2005/email_hi.mov

But along with all the good comes a little bad -- player personalities. In the past, owners could have two or three Pro Bowl caliber players at the same position and never use those players. So to make it even more realistic, the game is now set it up so that every player, relative to their talent and age, will expect a certain amount of playing time. If you have two amazing quarterbacks and one of them sits on the bench all year long, he'll start to get very angry, and you'll definitely hear about it. But just like in the NFL, winning cures everything. If you have a team full of angry players, make a Super Bowl run -- that should make the atmosphere in the locker room a little more positive.

Player Personalities video: http://files.ea.com/downloads/sports_videos/madden2005/playerpersonality_hi.mov

New trade/freeagency System

Trades are more realistic than ever before because we've added trades during the draft in the off-season. As was evident in April's draft, the majority of NFL trades happen during the first few rounds of the draft every year. Additionally, our off-season free agency system has been completely re-worked this year to make more like the real NFL, where free agents choose where they want to play based on salary AND a number of other different factors. You'll see older players sign with teams who have a shot to make it to the Super Bowl, and you'll see younger players lean toward playing in large markets for the marketing exposure. Prestige is also a big factor in every player's decision. Prestige is affected by how you run your organization and how you treat your players. If you are always cutting players or putting them on the trading block, the rest of the players around the league won’t feel comfortable playing for you.

Collector's Edition

* Playable classic versions of Madden, including a version from 16-bit era and 2 PS1 versions
* Madden Trivia Challenge: Playable trivia game for 1 or 2 players with Madden and NFL trivia with over 1,000 questions
* Madden Moments: Relive the greatest moments of the past 15 seasons. Situations become more and more difficult until you reach the ultimate Madden Moment
* Historical Playoff Teams: Select from 15 years worth of playoff teams, including authentic, historical uniforms
* Bonus Video Content (tentative list includes):
o The Madden Phenomenon -- how the Madden franchise has become a dominant force in American culture
o Evolution of Madden art -- interviews with EA artists showing game footage from Madden versions over the last 15 years
o How the Game is Made – get the inside story on how the game is built from scratch
o The Music of Madden -- interviews with artists on the role that music plays in the game and how Madden has launched new bands
o Production Commentary -- the producers narrate a game as its being played, pointing our key game design elements and commenting on strategy and tactics

Create-A-Fan

http://files.ea.com/downloads/sports_videos/madden2005/fans_hi.mov

Defense

Trailer

http://files.ea.com/downloads/sports_videos/madden2005/crosssell_hi.mov

Hit Stick

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_madden_nfl_2k5_hitstick.wmv

New Strip Ball animation

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_madden_nfl_2k5_stripball.wmv

Defensive Playmaker

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_madden_nfl_2k5_defplay.wmv

Defensive Line

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_madden_nfl_2k5_defline.wmv

Defensive Coverage

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_madden_nfl_2k5_coverage.wmv

Those videos pretty much tell you most of the new defensive features

Online features

* Improved Matchmaking
* – Players can define how they want to match up with their opponents, filtering out other players by rank, DNF% (Did Not Finish) and internet connection quality. Robust Anti-Cheating and Anti-Quitting Features
* – Cheat detection on both the PlayStation 2 and Xbox will ensure a fair game every time. Quitters are discouraged with the new DNF% stat, which tracks games quit, disconnected or even tournament games abandoned. Rooms and tournaments can be setup to filter quitters, and with console-based banning, EA can remove people from the service for violating our Terms and Conditions. Stay Connected to EA SPORTS™ Even When Offline
* – New EA Messenger features allow you to forward your Instant Messages to your email, plus tournament updates are available to your EA Messenger and SMS-enabled device such as your cell phone or pager. Get your end-of-game stats emailed to you so you can track every game you play online. EA Ticker Keeps You Plugged In
* – Get real-world score updates along with scores from your friends’ games and even tournament results in the scrolling ticker. Never miss out on a late-breaking score again! Improved Tournaments
* – Participate in or host online tournaments, create news, track your games, and receive updates when your next tournament opponent is online. New Quick Tournaments allow four or eight players to get in, get their game on and get out for a fun experience. Trophies and Medals
* – Unlockable trophies and medals are based on statistical accomplishments, giving players more reason to complete their games -- because quitters don’t earn a thing. Deep Career Tracking
* – Scouting Reports, Trophy Rooms, Recent Games and Stats Book all combine to give you a full picture on yourself or any player in the EA SPORTS universe.

Rushing Attack
– An awesome new mini-game for Madden NFL 2005, Rushing Attack allows two players to go head-to-head in the ground game. With just five players on the field, players see how many points they can rack up as both take turns playing offense and defense.

john_tn.jpg

"Pat, i think what this thread needs is a good, old-fashioned game of FOOTBALL!!!!!"

Trolls stay out, be forewarned. And thank you, DM, for starting just ONE thread and not 40.

Anyway, with Franchise mode, can't you already play with more than one person? I've never tried, but I assume that's the case. Collector's Edition only.

My one thing about Rushing Attack is that there could be some serious mismatches, and it's way too offense happy. And EVERYONE will choose the Ravens right off the back, rushing AND a killer defense.

Mrbob

You've been able to use more than user in Franchise mode for years in Madden.

That was one of the complaints of ESPN until 2K4. You could only use one user in Franchise.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Dm,you still getting the xbox version?

Phoenix

They should just rename this to Ultimate Football.... well when the defensive game shows up anyways. Right now the defense AI is more of an annoyance than any real competition.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

DMczaf

Matrix said:
Ok no slowdown,but what about online play *Thoughts of Ncaa creep into head*

I thought NCAA's servers were almost perfect after a few days. The Friends list came up in 1-2 secs. I didnt get disconnected. My stats all counted.

ESPN 2K5 has had a week now and we still cant get into league servers... lol

Matrix

Heh I guess you're right,it only lasted a couple of days and ESPN is still f-ing us over....buttttt besides online play has anyone mentioned dropped passes in Madden this year,what if its like Ncaa where no one mentions it till its too late :(

DMczaf

Matrix said:
Heh I guess you're right,it only lasted a couple of days and ESPN is still f-ing us over....buttttt besides online play has anyone mentioned dropped passes in Madden this year,what if its like Ncaa where no one mentions it till its too late :(

Im sure its not, NCAA and Madden are handled by 2 different teams.

Fifty

Much as I like Madden, after NCAA there's no way I'm purchasing it until it's been out for a few days and I've heard what the truth is.

Ramirez

Hey there is actually crowd noise,lmao...after playing ESPN you would think no one comes to watch NFL games.I have the crowd up as loud as it goes and I can still hear the crickets :p

what i like about our ratings:

-Rat with a "respectable" rating.
-Kbar with a respectable rating
-other players with ok ratings

what i dont like:

-i'm pretty sure we cut greg randall over a month ago
-Rat/kbar with only "respectable" ratings? come on EA, we all know they are 90's.

DMczaf

Rumor around the Madden board is that Madden is shipping early. Most of the Madden fan sites are getting their copies tomorrow, the NCAA fan sites didnt get them til the last weekend before the game came out

Laguna X said:
Were they able to keep the "commit to run/pass defense" feature in the game?

The folks at E3 said that might be gone because of the hit stick, and that would really suck although I only used it against certain players. As a defensive player, I'm not sure if it's worth losing it to the hit stick, but I didn't miss it in the one minute quarters at E3.

Cloudy said:
Just what we need. A Madden fanboy with mod powers *groan*

Why are you even in here? This is a real football game that has QB Spy, something that apparently you don't know. Why even try, Konex? "Oh I hate Madden, but I'm going to rent it anyway so I can bitch about why my passes are picked in quadruple coverage." In fact, you make the entire defense go QB Spy if you wanted to (as of E3 build). But I won't discuss of it further, since it is CLEARLY over your head when it comes to defense and football.

Stick to arcade football games, they're more for your class of sports players.

Cloudy

Banned
Whatever dude. I used to bash Madden as much and DM and FMT bash ESPN but at least we play the fucking games before we talk shit about them (unlike you). I will rent Madden because the folks I like to play online will be playing it too. Who knows, maybe I'll like it this year. I rented NCAA as well but did you see me making any threads about it even while some EA fans were trashing it themselves? No, I just don't give a fuck about that crap these days...

Just don't threaten Madden "trolls" while there are threads all over the place bashing (and I'm not even saying all the bashing is uncalled for) ESPN. And don't judge what type of sports player I am since you've never fucking played me. Get the fuck outta here with that shit..

Matrix

Fear leads to anger..anger leads to hate...hate leads to suffering...suffering leads to Konex in a few minutes :p

Matrix

LOL

Konex is forming a new one.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
After EA pressed a turd onto a DVD and called it NCAA Football 2005, I am wary. I'm not going to cancel my preorder or anything, but I am wary.

Cloudy said:
Just don't threaten Madden "trolls" while there are threads all over the place bashing (and I'm not even saying all the bashing is uncalled for) ESPN. And don't judge what type of sports player I am since you've never fucking played me. Get the fuck outta here with that shit..

The only reason why there are so many threads is because you start about 80% of them. Same pattern as last year. Myself, I've yet to truly crackback on ESPN NFL cause I don't own it, nor do I plan to. I don't read the threads like a good poster, cause I don't need to rain on your parade. And next time, say something instead of taking it like prisoner so it gets taken care of quickly.

I just let you guys bask in the sun with your rose colored glasses cause it's out a good 3 weeks before Madden. And since GAF has ADD when it comes to playing online games as a group, people will drop out and do the right thing and pick up Madden when it's released. Sorry, it's the truth and inevitable, just by reading enough responses in the IRC channel alone, somethng I cannot filter.

I defer my judgement to real players like FMT and DM, cause they play exactly like I do, if not better. And I'm glad ESPN fixed their running game, somewhat, because it only improves their game, as it gives other people an alternative to a real football game. I'm glad it looks visually better than Madden in the special angles that no one plays, it apparently appeals to people that don't play football games for gameplay alone. I'm really glad they added C/D level celebrities cause someone likes them. If you're looking forward to seeing Jamie Kennedy in your football game, good for you!

And I don't need to play you to judge your gameplay, the stories are GAF legend. St. Madden explains it. Your posts about QB Spy explains it. All anyone needs to do it play zone against you, cause you pass pass pass. 4th and 15 on your own 30? Sure, a 5 yard pass will do.

FMT: The rosters get edited quickly anyway. Ricky Williams will still be running back for Miami maybe the first month, until they feel like updating their rosters. Last year they had it all wrong, cause Zack Crockett, one of the best FBs around, wasn't even a starter before pre-season. The guy who was starting eventually got cut... Rosters, if updated, are prone to being incorrect.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Cloudy said:
Whatever dude. I used to bash Madden as much and DM and FMT bash ESPN but at least we play the fucking games before we talk shit about them (unlike you).

Roofle. What allows you to pass judgement on Madden 2005? I was there while FMT and Wasabi went at it in 2005, so I can definitely take their opinions on the game respectfully. And now that the deficiencies within ESPN have been gone over with a fine tooth comb by the sports faithful here at GAF, I think he has room to talk about that game too.

To me it sounds like you just have your hands over your ears like a child yelling "I can't hear you!" ESPN is a fun game, but the bugs are clear as day. Madden has not had problems like this and offers an experience that is geared towards a true football fan.

They should just rename this to Ultimate Football.... well when the defensive game shows up anyways. Right now the defense AI is more of an annoyance than any real competition.

What the...? I thought the D was pretty good last year. Well, if E3 build is any indication, you will be pleasantly surprised.

JayFro

Banned
EA SPORTS

"If it's in the game, it might be in our game" New add campaign for NCAA.

I might buy Madden after a few people have given reports on the gameplay. It's definitely a rental, but I'm not sure if I'll buy it or not. If it stacks up well against ESPN it will be tough for me to pass up.

i can tell you guys right now that the e3 version of madden was at LEAST on par with finished version of ESPN football. i'm not taking shots at espn football, because i like the game. but what espn football is, and the ONLY thing it is (to me), is an online football game. i wont touch franchise, and i wont touch anything else. so, i've already played that mode in madden 2005. i don't even need to have the final burn to know that if we are ONLY talking about online play/multiplayer (which i have played both games), then i would have to say that madden from may is AT least as good as ESPN right now. thats right, madden 2005, on 1 minute quarters playing on Pro setting was as enjoyable to me as ESPN is right now.

so, my instincts tell me that when you factor in all the other things madden is going to offer, all the gameplay mechanics i DIDNT get to try out (because they weren't in place or otherwise) all the fine-tuning that took place between e3 and now, well then i have to go with my better judgement and say madden is going to be (hands down) the better game.

but i like ESPN football, i like it a lot. online play is smooth, the leagues are going to be awesome, the gameplay is very good. so, if you have the spare cash lying around, give ESPN a shot. it is better than half as good as madden, and its less than half the price, so what have you got to lose?

Fifty

Heh....We had a huge thread for the NCAA tourny...it fell through....we have a huge thread for the ESPN league...it's stalled (Server's fault as well)...Let's hope the Madden tourny can come through, since I play 100% of the time online when I can.

Cloudy

Banned
The only reason why there are so many threads is because you start about 80% of them.

I don't start "80% of them" and I don't personally mind reading other folks opinion of the game be it negative or positive. It just irked me that you never complained about anything anti-ESPN but the first friendly jab in a Madden thread and you're flashing the banstick

I just let you guys bask in the sun with your rose colored glasses cause it's out a good 3 weeks before Madden. And since GAF has ADD when it comes to playing online games as a group, people will drop out and do the right thing and pick up Madden when it's released. Sorry, it's the truth and inevitable, just by reading enough responses in the IRC channel alone, somethng I cannot filter.

Your point is?

I defer my judgement to real players like FMT and DM, cause they play exactly like I do, if not better. And I'm glad ESPN fixed their running game, somewhat, because it only improves their game, as it gives other people an alternative to a real football game. I'm glad it looks visually better than Madden in the special angles that no one plays, it apparently appeals to people that don't play football games for gameplay alone. I'm really glad they added C/D level celebrities cause someone likes them. If you're looking forward to seeing Jamie Kennedy in your football game, good for you!

Umm... ok...

And I don't need to play you to judge your gameplay, the stories are GAF legend. St. Madden explains it. Your posts about QB Spy explains it. All anyone needs to do it play zone against you, cause you pass pass pass. 4th and 15 on your own 30? Sure, a 5 yard pass will do.

Anyone who has ever played me online will tell you you're full of shit. But hey, I'll say it first. You're full of shit....

What allows you to pass judgement on Madden 2005?

And when exactly did I do that?

To me it sounds like you just have your hands over your ears like a child yelling "I can't hear you!" ESPN is a fun game

Actually, I'm not. I was talking about Madden in this thread until Wasabi brought up other stuff...

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Fifty said:
Heh....We had a huge thread for the NCAA tourny...it fell through....we have a huge thread for the ESPN league...it's stalled (Server's fault as well)...Let's hope the Madden tourny can come through, since I play 100% of the time online when I can.

Hey I can deal with glitches and bugs it happens to all games, anybody that tries to say there was no glitches or bugs in Madden 2004 is a stone cold liar! I am sure this years Madden will have them too but I am alright with that. What kills ESPN NFL 2005 for me is the very poor servers. Hey at least we know EA's servers are stable, yeah NCAA 2005 had some issue because of Xbox Live but now they are fixed. My only problem with EA now is no Leagues as of yet.

Maverick

What is killing ESPN for me is the shit servers. I can't challenge anyone. It doesn't work. This is a game that should be great online....but I can barely play anyone.

NCAA just sucks this year. Case closed. Step back, it is.

I hope Madden really does crank up the D this year. Madden 2003 is still the best football game of all-time to me.

Konex: Since you can't read, I'll condense it for you:

* I don't see the trolling cause I don't wander into the ESPN NFL threads. Why read about it if I have no interest in the game?

* You're calling DM and MiG liars? That's fine, although their story seems to match. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Can't wait to see everyone call Cover 2 on you. And don't even bother running against it, the front line picks it up very well this year

* Check the Online Forum to see how many subjects you started, including your "OMG SHADOWRED, THAT GAME WAS AWESOME!" Now, if you've got a younger brother using your account and posting away, I suggest you log out in the future to reduce the confusion and I deeply apologize

As for defense in 2004, some people had issues with the front line, but it's really all about placement and timing. If your lineman has a decent strength, you can push them off to the side and hit the QB for a sack fairly often. I alter the placement of secondary after a while once I pick up your tendencies, so picks come fairly often. After playing 10 seasons of franchise and developing 4th round CBs to 90+ overall ranking, I can say that my defense works well.

In 2005, it's awesome. Granted, I think the E3 builds were on Rookie difficulty, but Warren Sapp blew by some Niner tackles and guards for some sacks. Guys will drop back into coverage this year, but if their awareness is high enough, they will go at the ball and make the picks w/o hesitation. I play with the 3-4 playbook and I can pick up exploits no problem at all. Quick pass? I press... Running the tricks slants? Zone.

Matrix

LOL *shakes head*

boy konex just can't get enough banning. say your peace and then get the F out of the thread! i guess i will have to talk trash to him about this on XBL :p

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
if we are ONLY talking about online play/multiplayer (which i have played both games), then i would have to say that madden from may is AT least as good as ESPN right now. thats right, madden 2005, on 1 minute quarters playing on Pro setting was as enjoyable to me as ESPN is right now.

To be fair, for the first two days everyone was creaming their pants over how great ESPN was this year.. the exact same thing happened last year... so unless the game has any terrible glaring issues like NCAA initial impressions will likely be less likely to pick up on nagging issues in the game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
College Dropout said:
What is killing ESPN for me is the shit servers. I can't challenge anyone. It doesn't work. This is a game that should be great online....but I can barely play anyone.

NCAA just sucks this year. Case closed. Step back, it is.

I hope Madden really does crank up the D this year. Madden 2003 is still the best football game of all-time to me.

Have your tried turning off the X-Box? They are supposed to have the little bugs fixed by the 6th, but until then after I make/receive around 4 challenges, I have to turn it off b/c I realize no one is seeing them; thankfully it takes all of ten seconds to get the game loaded and back on to XBL (though the problem is still annoying, of course). I know there have been some intermittent server problems as well, but I've played about 20 games online and only encountered those once, I had some validation problems, but a couple reboots fixed those. Then again, your mileage may vary.

Feel free to add/challenge me, I'll probably be on for a few hours tonight.

Gamertag: Astro Ladders

Top Bottom