• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Season 3 League Thread: The Imperial March (to the superbowl!)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FrenchMovieTheme said:
maybe you want to wager an avatar in our next game fifty...

to the tune of you rushing for under 50 yards and me rushing for over 100!

let me know if you're interested, ck was :D

:lol Difference is he has the best back in the game, the best offensive lineman in the game, a decent fullback, and an average rest of the o-line. I hope Fifty runs for 500 yards. :D

last i checked the bills o-line and rb's weren't too shabby, certainly better than average and better than the niners :D

i'm not scared of the joke ravens running game. jamal lewis is good for setting up crack deals, but not good for running for over 50 yards on the niners legendary D. jpete is out for blood... and jpete, much like his agents, gets what he wants!

pffft no respect! you'll see... you'll all see!

p.s. and no i dont plan on running some bullshit 4-6 or goalline all game, i play legit ladies, and i will shutdown the ravens as such. the only way fifty gets over 50 is if he lines kevin johnson up in the backfield.

Fifty

FMT is smart, he's trying to get me off my game. Problem is, this is my game. If you bet that I wouldn't get more than 75 passing yards, that is probably a bet I'd lose.

Ramirez

This shall be my last season!Good game while it lasted,I'm just getting bored of it...not to mention the controller type S blows my balls for this game!!I'm afraid to use my fat one out of fear of getting a d/c :|

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Ramirez said:
This shall be my last season!Good game while it lasted,I'm just getting bored of it...not to mention the controller type S blows my balls for this game!!I'm afraid to use my fat one out of fear of getting a d/c :|

Your last season? Whoa. There is no quiting here my friend. We are all playing in leagues until Madden 2006 comes out. You don't have a choice. I have not spent freakin hours practicing this game so that people can bail out on me. :)

don't worry ladies, while we have some players exiting (not including ramirez, he will play in season 4 :D ) we have others coming in (jobber). besides, smaller league will likely be more competitive.

Ramirez

Haha,I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the game is becoming a little stale.Plus I'd rather spend my time with baseball games after this is over :p

if you want to go into the off-season conceding me as the undisputed champion of GAF be my guest. but always remember i got your number in madden buddy, and anytime i want a victory i got that shit on speed dial

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm kinda getting bored too,maybe im sick of using the Texans...2 out of the 3 seasons Ive used them.

the H is O fifty cause bob beat me again :(

im not sure wtf happened, but on 3 separate plays his guys were WIDEEEEEEE open. and when i say wide open i dont mean by 10 yards, i mean by 20+ yards no one was near them. i'm not sure what i did wrong or what happened, but somehow they got open :(

once again my run defense was awesome, but my pass defense is strugglin. i have a tough game coming up next week too!*

* and by tough i mean tough for fifty because i'm getting a free win since my game is against bog :D

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm still addicted. :D

Man trades in online leagues would keep this game fresh. Curse you EA, why can't you be more like Sega!

Matrix: I'll trade you London Fletcher for Aaron Glenn!

Fifty

Yeah if this had ESPN-style leagues we'd be even more hooked, which is hard to believe considering it's staying power so far.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
WOW... what games so far this week, we may have a 5 way tie atop "Conference 2 name"

Bog when are we going to play? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Malleymal said:
Bog when are we going to play? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oh, as usual, a bonehead move on my part, deciding to pass from the 1 yard line with 6 seconds left, up by 3, and...Woodson+98 yards. What could POSSIBLY be the end result?

Fifty

Despite Ramirez and Matrix saying they're not into it as much, this has probably been our best season yet. The division races in all but two of the divisions are insanely tight.

Mrbob

I'm looking forward to sending my continued message to the rest of the league by finishing strong this year and then carrying this momentum into season 4! :D

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DM's stats are misleading. The incredible magnificent Michael Pittman just completely destroyed a tackle by the horrible, scrubby, (pro-bowler) Troy Vincent to go 66 yards for the game icing TD. 33 carries for 84 yards!

Edit: The GAF AFC East is going to be like the real AFC East. Three teams that should be in the playoffs but only two make it.

DMczaf

26014.jpg

"I just imagine the defense is my wife and children..."

Slo

I'll probably be sitting out until Madden 2006 after this season. I'm still having fun, but I sink SOOOOO much time into Madden practice mode that my game queue is really starting to back up. It's time to play something else. I've got GTA:SA still wrapped, and I haven't played more than an hour of Halo 2 MP. I'm not quite ready to surrender my genre diversity and become an official EA Bitch just yet. :)

I'm used to playing games for 15 hours and throwing them away, which is probably why I suck and just about any MP game I play. :lol :-\ I've put over ten times that amount into Madden since August. Time to hang 'em up, atleast until this summer if you guys are still playing then.

calder

Ahh, Football 101 is great. Really taught me a lot - my offense is actually that now that I understand who certain plays are designed for and what to look for. I went from 5 yards total offense in my first game to... well many more at least. ;) Against the CPU I can steadily march up the field, and if I stop panicking and lobbing flutter balls directly into coverage I should start racking up some points (at least against the CPU).

Now that I know the various uses of the I formation and the difference between a TE, HB and FB (you'd be amazed how confusing this game is when you don't know which players are supposed to do what :lol) most of my questions have to do with defense.

Of the nickel,dime, quarter, loonie, silver dollar or whatever formations out there, can anyone explain briefly what the differences are? If I see the opponent on 3rd and 1 and he has 2 RB and I know he's going to run which defensive formation should I be picking? As it is, I know roughly which D to choose when I'm concerned about the pass, but against the run I either pick a blitz of some kind (wrong idea?) or else a "1 cover" play that seems to have more guys hanging around near the line.

Oh, and before I kill myself how do I not pick up the ball on a short kick when a defender is about to kill my guy the second he touches the ball? Every time it happens I fumble, and I know there must be a rule or something about that since 20 NFLers aren't killed every year doing it, but I can't see anything else to do but let my lemming-like punt returner try to pick up the ball a millisecond before he gets decapitated. I allowed 2 TD's against on fumbles from that last game, damn that Arizona team.

Ramirez

3-4,4-3, or 46 are better for the run...Nickel/Dime/Quarter are mainly passing defenses.

Oh and I guess you're talking about punts,just hit "Y" or Triangle whichever version you have to call a "fair catch".

Slo

Here's my post from your other thread.

Slo said:
I posted in your thread in the Online gaming forum, but from this post it sounds like you need more basic lessons. :-\

About defenses: In general, but not always, you should pick a defense that matches up well against the formation your opponent choses. 4-3 and 3-4 are good, balanced formations to use against balanced offensive formations. When your opponent chooses his play, you'll see something like 2WR-1TE-1RB, or 4WR-0TE-1RB. You should key off of this information, and atleast have as many cornerbacks on the field as they have wide receivers.

Here's a brief guide.
4-3: 4 down linemen, 3 linebackers, 2 corners, 2 safeties. This is a good, balanced defense.
3-4: 3 down linemen, 4 linebackers, 2 corners, 2 safeties. An alternative to 4-3, good for when you have an excellent linebacking core, or are getting burnt on outside runs.
Nickel: 4 down linemen, 2 linebackers, 3 corners, 2 safeties. Should be used when your opponent uses 3 wide receivers.
Dime: 4 down linemen, 1 linebacker, 4 corners, 2 safeties. Good against 4 wide, horrible against the run.
Quarter: 3 down linemen, 1 linebacker, 5 corners, 2 safeties. Good against 5 wide, or when your opponent has 4th and 35 :)

calder

Slo said:
Here's my post from your other thread.
Hey thanks, I totally missed that (obviously)! Like most people, I never read my threads. :lol

Tips from Slo & Ramirez + Football 101 = dawning comprehension of the sport itself. Maybe watching the games on TV will make more sense now too. ;)

hgplayer1

let me get back to you around 7:30 eastern. I gotta check something when I get off from work then Ill know what time tonight I can play.

hgplayer1

yeah thats my AIM sn. I only get on AIM to schedule online gaming shit. :lol

true, I should be able to play around 8:30-8:45 ish eastern time.

calder

Woot. :D In my third actual online game tonight, I actually beat my brother! I stunned him by getting out to a 21-0 lead when his obvious pass-pass-pass offense fell into a shambles against my canny play calling (nickel for 3 WR, dime for 4, change it up a bit, woot you guys rock) and my offense was varied enough that I was able to score some points. My other brother was much better, but I kept that game close too. Just playing through Football 101 and actually practising drills gave me a big advantage, and I'd be worried that my brothers would realize that they'd be way ahead of me again if they'd do it too but they don't have the patience.

Highlight was in my first play against Ray (the one I beat) I had Dillon run for a 70 yard TD. :lol For the first half of the game he'd always call his defense before I even called my play on offense, so clearly he took me lightly.

Anyway, thanks guys.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Not taking anything away from Slo, but at times Madden really sucks. 10 drops by my receiving corps+ no running game means a loss. I held Moss to nothing, but my WRs could catch the ball to save their life. Congrats slo, you won. Not here to make excuses are whine, just the drops get on my f'n nerves. Especially when you read 1 on 1 coverage, find a man open then he just drops it for the hell of it.

Slo

dskillzhtown said:
Not taking anything away from Slo, but at times Madden really sucks. 10 drops by my receiving corps+ no running game means a loss. I held Moss to nothing, but my WRs could catch the ball to save their life. Congrats slo, you won. Not here to make excuses are whine, just the drops get on my f'n nerves. Especially when you read 1 on 1 coverage, find a man open then he just drops it for the hell of it.

Yeah, your WR had a tough time. Madden can drive you crazy that way. Thank God for that defensive TD, and the fly route off of the PA that Moose dropped in the second half, otherwise I wouldn't have even been in the game.

And HOLY SHIT the Panther's D line is monsterous. I couldn't throw a route over 8 yards! There's nothing more annoying than having Madden chatting your fucking ear off about how Peppers is "about to set the all time NFL single game sack record". Good game, I really don't look forward to seeing that defense again.

Top Bottom