• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Season 3 League Thread: The Imperial March (to the superbowl!)

I've played countless games of madden. Never have I suffered a more painful loss. FMT, you know I was going to win that. I was driving down the field, down by one. I go in 3 wide, my reciever is open. He extends his arms. He touches the ball. It tips to the safety. GAME OVER.

I still can't believe it. It's the fucking worst thing that has ever happened. I'm glad today isn't a friday, because it would have ruined my weekend. It still might. What a pile of shit "win". I'm not going to talk about that holding call, because bob got unlucky with one of those in our game. But the final play.....WHAT COMPLETE FUCKING BULLSHIT. I made some bad plays, missing a hit stick hit and allowing kbar an easy 77 yards, rather than about 10. That was my fault. THIS, this was COMPLETE BULLSHIT. Come the fuck on. I know my WRs aren't great, but at least drop the ball, don't tip it to them you fucking dirty cunt lickers. I hope my recievers are get AIDS sucking off Billick's nephew in the corner of a dirty warehouse. FMT has the lead in our division because one of my recievers was paid off by the Postons. I can't believe it. I won't believe it. Madden can suck my dick.

:lol yes, at the end of the day i did get lucky. but consider these facts that WEREN'T lucky:

* You had the ball 3 times in the redzone, and you got 1 TD and 2 FG's
* I had a 3rd and 8 with 1:30 left inside the 10, and you let me score on a run play

while i do admit i got lucky on that last play (and it was god damn lucky at that), you have to put people away early so the game doesn't come down to luck. i could have and probably should have lost that game by a large margin, but thats the way it goes. some key notes about the game:

* I couldn't run for shit on his D. there was always someone knifing through my o-line

* When did todd heap become jesus christ in cleats (sp?)? i double teamed him, bracketed him, covered him myself, bumped him pushed him whatever NOTHING i did would stop that fucking monster. even when i KNEW it was going to go to heap there wasn't a damn thing i could do about it. i have to stop him next time :(

* the holding call on the 1st drive was funny. lewis busts one for 30+, then after he gets tackled a flag comes out holding.

* my D played just OK. i gave up a lot of yards, but i held inside the redzone and that is what allowed me to have a chance to get lucky at the end of the game

well gg fifty (even though i know you're pissed)

Fifty

If my WR dropped the ball and then I went 4 and out then yes, I'd say the problem was my red zone offense. But I had plenty of time, I was mounting a nice drive and it all went to shit with that INSANE bit of bad luck. I don't want my WRs to make more than 2-3 plays a game, but they better make 2 or 3 CATCHES a game. You can look back on any game and point out how it could have been won by either side, but when it comes down to one play, and it's not determined by skill or play calling, but rather by a bit of insanity, then I think it's ok to dwell on that. You say "you have to put people away early" but you didn't. Neither of us did because we're both good players and it was a good game, until that one play. That's all. I'm dropping it. I wasn't going to have a perfect season anyway, but with our division and conference insanely competitive, the pain of losing to a tipped (by my own WR) ball is greater than the frustration of going 3 and out at the goalline.

i said you have to put the game away early to avoid "lucky" plays at the end. for instance on that 2nd down pass when you were at your own 18 to heap for about 30 yards, why didn't my DE just sack you? he took the worst angle ever, giving you that split second to hit heap over the middle (who was double covered btw). wouldn't you consider that somewhat lucky? both our AI players didn't make plays, and it hurt our teams.

if you had won that game on a fg, i would have said you got lucky. that is just the nature of losing at the last second or on one of the last plays (especially a completely random one). all i was saying about putting people away is if you had gotten 2 TD's and a fg instead of a TD and 2 fg's in the redzone i would have lost handily

there will be more opportunities to take the division.

p.s. that boller scramble late in the 2nd gave me flashes of espn :lol

Fifty

FMT, you're:

Green_Bay_Brett_Favre_wi3_large.jpg

Mrbob

First two division game scores:

27-24
24-23

Oh yeah this is going to be a tight division. Fifty don't get too mad. It is going to be a close division and sometimes the ball bounces your way and other times it doesn't. The first game you got some good bounces and in the second game you didn't. Remember FMT still has five more division games to lose! :D

Fifty

I'm cool now. I had to get that out of my system. It's always easier to get over a bad break than to get over bad play (cheese) by a player.

Shadax

Banned
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!

I lost 33-27, but the score doesn't reflect how close this game was. I gave up stupid, stupid TDs to Dunn and huge gains to Vick, but what really pissed me off was a late 4th Q INT. Still, with less than 45 seconds (and no timeouts) left, down 33-27, I drove to the Falcon's 6 yd line.....9 seconds left, hurry up playcall....but I don't know the spike button!!! Frantic, I try to throw it into the open hands of Robert Royal, who makes the reception and gets stopped at the 1 as the clock struck 0:00.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I am NOT going to have another losing season! ARGH I'm SO fucking pissed right now. >:|

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Dm,when you want to sling and slang?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Actually there was only one time I broke out with Vick. But it was amazing. I dodged a tackle behind the LOS and took off up the right side and then pulled a juke on one of his guys to keep going. The biggest lie this game has told so far was that one of his safeties caught Vick. As if. There is no safety in the league that could have made up that much ground on Vick that fast.

I played the best game I've ever played and had to stop him at the 1 yard line at the end of the game. Whew. At least Madden actually lets you feel like you have a chance. Unlike EPSN basketball. Ugh.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Wow, stopped at the one!? Would have tied it, won with a PAT. I hope I don't ever play as close a game as that, it'd give me a heart attack. :lol Though my double OT games with Dskillz and Mig were hair raising enough. :|

Truelize said:
Whew. At least Madden actually lets you feel like you have a chance. Unlike EPSN basketball. Ugh.

:lol :lol :lol Too true.

Bob, tomorrow I should be home right around 6.

Ramirez

Fuuuuuuuuck,Im gonna wait about 10 more minutes...I dunno when were gonna play cuz Im in class at 1:30 PST tomorrow =\

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Fmt,you're going to have to give DM the win against me,since he lost connection in our game.He was up by 7 in the 4th and had ball,so we played 1 guarter and he beat me.

Only bad thing was the stupid game wouldnt let me go for it on any 4th downs cause it was the 1st and not the 4th,that was kinda fucked up but whatever,please give Dm the win.

Im just pissed Dm's modem went out,I threw for 4 tds with Carr and had 3 ints,2 user picks...ughh :(

DMczaf

Matrix said:
Fmt,you're going to have to give DM the win against me,since he lost connection in our game.He was up by 7 in the 4th and had ball,so we played 1 guarter and he beat me.

Only bad thing was the stupid game wouldnt let me go for it on any 4th downs cause it was the 1st and not the 4th,that was kinda fucked up but whatever,please give Dm the win.

Im just pissed Dm's moden went out,I threw for 4 tds with Carr and had 3 ints,2 user picks...ughh :(

Your stats went through, mine didnt :(

All those sacks and defensive TDs...gone! :|

Matrix

I think its time you and your modem had a little talk >_<

Matrix

Slo

Fucking shit.

Cambell drops a TD in the endzone in the second quarter. Culpepper has the hands of a 3 year old girl. And Jerome Bettis ass fucked my D line. I FUCKING HATE THIS GAME.

* UPDATE!!!

i don't know if everyone knew this, or if no one did, but EA has accurate rosters that are up to date including injuries. so, lets say you are the eagles, if you make NO substitutions, terrell owens wont be in the starting lineup. to get the highest rated lineup onto the field do the following:

1. Go to coaching strategies
2. Go to depth Chart
3. Hit Y (which will sub in the highest rated players at each position), and answer yes to the question

boom bam you are done. i bring that up because slo said that campbell dropped a TD, but it probably should have been kleinsauser. keep this in mind fellas, you want your best team out there

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
yeah, if I don't hit Auto Re-order, Grant Wistrom stays on the sidelines, as does my 3rd string (ovr 86) reciever.

Shadax

Banned
Truelize said:
Actually there was only one time I broke out with Vick. But it was amazing. I dodged a tackle behind the LOS and took off up the right side and then pulled a juke on one of his guys to keep going. The biggest lie this game has told so far was that one of his safeties caught Vick. As if. There is no safety in the league that could have made up that much ground on Vick that fast.

I played the best game I've ever played and had to stop him at the 1 yard line at the end of the game. Whew. At least Madden actually lets you feel like you have a chance. Unlike EPSN basketball. Ugh.

You didn't dodge a tackle in the backfield, I didn't expect my guy to get in there so fast so by the time I switched to him I was still holding another direction from controlling a lineman. The safety didn't make up a lot of ground, he came from an angle, and even then, he just barely got a hold of Vick's legs with a diving tackle.

Dammit Slo, you were supposed to beat Maverick. Now I'm 2 games behind! The playoffs are already slipping out of my grasp.... ;(

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Shadax said:
You didn't dodge a tackle in the backfield, I didn't expect my guy to get in there so fast so by the time I switched to him I was still holding another direction from controlling a lineman. The safety didn't make up a lot of ground, he came from an angle, and even then, he just barely got a hold of Vick's legs with a diving tackle.

Dammit Slo, you were supposed to beat Maverick. Now I'm 2 games behind! The playoffs are already slipping out of my grasp.... ;(

Come on. My story is much better than your version. Just let a guy enjoy his one win a season. :lol

Fifty

FrenchMovieTheme said:
* UPDATE!!!

i don't know if everyone knew this, or if no one did, but EA has accurate rosters that are up to date including injuries. so, lets say you are the eagles, if you make NO substitutions, terrell owens wont be in the starting lineup. to get the highest rated lineup onto the field do the following:

1. Go to coaching strategies
2. Go to depth Chart
3. Hit Y (which will sub in the highest rated players at each position), and answer yes to the question

boom bam you are done. i bring that up because slo said that campbell dropped a TD, but it probably should have been kleinsauser. keep this in mind fellas, you want your best team out there

I'd recommend doing it manually if there aren't more than 3 or 4 subs to make. Many teams have a TE ranked higher than some WRs on the depth chart, or a TE rated higher than a FB. You wouldn't want your 4th WR to be your second TE, or your FB to be your favorite tight end.

Rorschach

Sorry, Ram I did mean PST. I could have sworn I put PST there.

Ramirez said:
Fuuuuuuuuck,Im gonna wait about 10 more minutes...I dunno when were gonna play cuz Im in class at 1:30 PST tomorrow =\
What about before that? I said anytime before :\

[edit] I did put PST :p

Rorschach said:
Ack..sorry, wish I would have seen this earlier, but I'm about to head out and won't be back 'till ~10:30 PST.

If you can play tomorrow before 1:30PM PST, or today after 10:30, PM me.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Fifty said:
I'd recommend doing it manually if there aren't more than 3 or 4 subs to make. Many teams have a TE ranked higher than some WRs on the depth chart, or a TE rated higher than a FB. You wouldn't want your 4th WR to be your second TE, or your FB to be your favorite tight end.

I agree. For me, at least, auto-re-order puts Henry in over McGahee, and while Henry is great, McGahee beats him in the categories I want in a runningback.

Ramirez

GG man,I was doing awful once Kitna had to come in the game =\ My o-line wasn't doing that good either aside from those 2 big runs and my D is a liability :lol

Rorschach

GG Oh man, did I blow that one...after the missed FG (damn you, Janikowski!), I hit the A button really fast and I thought I audibled (saw the players do that stutterstep thing), but I guess I didn't. That's why it was so easy to get down the middle and score. :lol
I gave up after that, to be honest. You play really well with the Bengals. I'd hate to see you with the Falcons. :lol @ that hitstick fumble when I was returning ><

btw- does it not say "User pick!" in the xbox version online?

Fifty

It does say that most of the time....but I've seen some cases where it doesn't say User Pick. I want full credit for all of my INTS :D

Ramirez

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't,not sure why...

Biggest BS I saw was my 2nd breakaway run,I spun the wrong way,meant to go the other way where no one was...so I break the Safeties tackle,spin backwards from it for like 5 yards,then hurdle these 2 dudes layin on the ground and ran it for like 60 yards,I was like "Oh boy..." :lol

Rorschach

Ramirez said:
Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't,not sure why...

Biggest BS I saw was my 2nd breakaway run,I spun the wrong way,meant to go the other way where no one was...so I break the Safeties tackle,spin backwards from it for like 5 yards,then hurdle these 2 dudes layin on the ground and ran it for like 60 yards,I was like "Oh boy..." :lol
:lol I saw that...I was like "what just happened?" Also, I was about to break out a few times, but when I got close, my blocker would just leave the guy he's blocking for no apparent reason...

[edit] that sucks, but you could totally tell that was a user pick by me :p

Ramirez

Yea no doubt,people kill me on that,I always throw it right at them for some reason :lol

I'm like "I know they're going to pick this *throws it anyways,PICK!*" :lol

Slo

Anyway, good game by Mav. For some reason I abandoned my gameplan (or maybe he forced me out of it), and his secondary held Moss in check for the most part. Half the reason I lost was stupidity on my part. I was down by 7 with 1:45 to go, I had the ball first and goal on the 8 with all my timeouts. Being that I was averaging almost 10 yards a carry for the whole fucking season, I naturally decided to pass instead of pounding it in. So Culpepper drops back to pass, gets hammered, fumbles and Mav runs it in for a defensive TD. I went from knocking on heaven's door to out of the game in 1 play. :-\ Nice going, dumbass.

Top Bottom