• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Season 3 League Thread: The Imperial March (to the superbowl!)

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Gunstar77 said:
Sorry man, I totally forgot about Week 2 starting tonight. Well hopefully we can play another time.

We can play tonight or tomorrow. I'll log in to AIM and post here when I get home.

Rorschach

324321.jpeg

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Barely won a hair raiser against Bob. He was up 7-0 at the half, McGahee comes up with a 55 yard TD run, to tie it. Next drive for Bob, he goes to pass, drops back a ton, more than I have ever seen him drop, Schobel hits Brees and he fumbles. I think Neal picks it up in the endzone and my guy tackles him, safety, 9-7 me. I score on another drive later, 16-7. Bob scores with about 2 minutes left. 16-14. I try to run, but am stuffed, Henry DROPS a 3rd and long pass. Oh shit I think to myself as I punt it away. Oh man he is driving, motherfucker he is at his 32... what's this, he calls another play...? I called cover 3, i knew he was either going to Parker over the middle or McCardell on the right. He throws, INTERCEPTED OMFG!!!

I was lucky to win it, lots of bad breaks for Bob... however I was the victim of Fifty-itis. Made a pretty as a pie in the sky pass to Travis Henry a few yards up and out, it hits his hands and Bob's LB makes that catch and the int. :( I wanted to go this season with less than ten ints. There's #1. Bledsoe's QB rating = ruined. And I got sacked 4 times. Felt like I was playing as the Giants. The Panthers only sacked me once last game, what the fuck.

Bob had 38 rushing yards at the end of the first half, ended with 13. :D

McGahee 15 carries 163 yards
Henry 4 carries 19 yards
Bledsoe 3 carries -8 yards. :(

Mrbob

Sorry dude. That last play was actually my fault. I thought I called a run and I must have called a pass. Beyond that, I hit the wrong fucking button too because the play caught me by surprise. I was at his 32 with two timeouts left too all i needed was a FG and I win.

Gates got raped by the Bills linebackers. I counted over 10 occasions during the game where he got stuck on a linebacker while trying to run a route. EA better add the holding penalty for 2006. Usually I don't complain much but that shit was ridiculous.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Without the Giants, now I will get all of the lucky breaks! The Giants would not have had that last int, that is for sure.

Mrbob said:
Gates got raped by the Bills linebackers. I counted over 10 occasions during the game where he got stuck on a linebacker while trying to run a route. EA better add the holding penalty for 2006. Usually I don't complain much but that shit was ridiculous.

You were passing to him the vast majority of the first half, so I said fuck it. London Fletcher bumped, and Lawyer Milloy doubled. What was bizarre is that Fletcher NEVER bumped at the LOS but always at about 10 yards out. Sometimes it was holding, sometimes it was a flat out PI.

Bledsoe QB rating after game 1: 151.25
Bledsoe QB rating after game 2: 129.49 :(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
oy, possibly the worst/best game ever! Dual OT's, I with the miraculous drive to a 27 yard FG before OT even started! I missed!

ck, i see you held bob to 13 yards rushing.

kbar doesn't appreciate you doing that to a fellow RB. he said he is going to teach you a lesson soon enough.

p.s. don't get mad at me! it was kbar who said it! warn your defense now, i'm not sure what kind of crazy things kbar will do when he's mad :(

dskillzhtown

Man, I can't wait for Madden 2006. My passing offense has taken a vacation totally. I got down 14-0 in my game with Gunstar. Didn't panic, just kept with my gameplan, but trips to the red zone with no TDs doomed me.

I need to stop playing this game like a real NFL game and like a videogame. The more and more I have gone to games, studied NFL offenses and defenses, the worse I have gotten in Madden. Stuff that works in Madden doesn't have a prayer in working in the NFL and vice versa.

Stuff that works in Madden doesn't have a prayer in working in the NFL and vice versa.

i wouldn't say that. using the run to setup the pass is the most important thing. one thing i will concur with is that routes that work in real life in passing dont always work in madden. the reason being is that the collision detection isn't precise enough. there is too much of a knockdown window for the defense. lets say i loft it perfectly over the top of someone, if a defender is in the general vicinity of hitting the ball when it goes up, the ball will get tipped. so its tough to zip passes between people because they always get knocked down :(

but real life strategies work here. i know because i've used them on both sides of the ball :D

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FMT: Don't blame me, blame...

nfl-player-spikes-1.jpg

takeo-spikes-the-hit-man-20040910041513496-000.jpg

He is an absolute monster in game. And to make matters worse, London Fletcher lines up on the opposite side. :(

DSkillz, I agree with you to an extent. It's BS that defenders can't play inside, or under. Certain routes are near impossible to guard against, and at the same time, other routes are near impossible to complete a pass with. I've had decent success just lining up, taking a look at the D and adjusting accordingly, whether it be a hot route, or an audible. I feel like Peyton Manning. :0 It's become more of a chess match than a football game to me. :|

Mrbob

CKandhisdoucheholdinglinebackersfrom10yardsoutwhichdoesn'tgetflagged'causeeadoesn'tblieveinpenalties said:
DSkillz, I agree with you to an extent. It's BS that defenders can't play inside, or under

I dunno, I think you figured out an awesome way to take out the inside and underneath pass in the last game. :p

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Because I doubled Gates. ;) How would I do that against a team like the Vikes, Rams, or the Colts? Doubling anyone is pretty much death if you're facing a smart player.

Lonestar

sorry guys, After the ice storm last night, my power is out. Typing on my pda at barnes & noble now. hoping my power comes back on before the round ends.

Mrbob

Wellington said:
Because my linebacker held onto Gates and he couldn't move 10 yards downfield all game ;) How would I do that against a team like the Vikes, Rams, or the Colts? Doubling anyone is pretty much death if you're facing a smart player.

I fixed it for you. :D

I'm not blaming you. But it's the damndest thing I've ever seen. That is why you got that safety on me. Remember you mentioned in a previous post you saw me pedalling back more than I ever have. Well that is because i had a play set up the WR go deep and Gates cuts across the middle on one on one coverage. It worked except I saw Gates get stuck in your linebacker. And I was watching Gates instead of my QB so I must have been moving back consistently. :lol His legs were moving but his body wasn't. At the end I said screw it and went to throw the ball away but your lineman hit my QB at the same time and he fumbled. The thing is this happened all game. That's why in the 4th I kept throwing it to my wideouts. Because Gates kept on getting jammed. But he was getting jammed 10 YARDS DOWNFIELD. Ughhhh stupid Madden 2005.

I was going to let this win slide but now you have gotten cocky over finally beating me in a league game! :lol Suffice to say it won't happen again! And the rest of the league is going to feel my fury now! :D

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Mrbob said:
I was going to let this win slide but now you have gotten cocky over finally beating me in a league game! :lol Suffice to say it won't happen again! And the rest of the league is going to feel my fury now! :D

One curse broken, two remain! DMczaf, you are next! (Ramirez is the other one. :|)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FrenchMovieTheme said:
you can break all the curses you want CK, but bottom line is you must lose when you make it to the superbowl. and you know why :D

Preposterous!

*Counts money and laughs on the way to bank.*

I dunno guys! FMT is too tough!

man i can't wait until after the prowbowl when i can lose this scobee avatar + tag. my new tag will read "Back to Back Cham... oh wait, I'm not done yet"

dskillzhtown

I am not dissing Madden as a game. But over the past couple of years, I have really been getting interested in football, even reading strategy books and buying DVDs and bootleg game film. I even have been watching NFL Matchup every week and learning from 'Jaws' and the crew.

My point is that when playing Madden I need to think of it as a videogame, or a "chess match" and CK called it. Not as an NFL sim. I have definitely been taking it recently as a sim, and that has not worked. Not dissing the game or any other player. Just expressing what I need to do to win some games.

i read bill walshs "novel" about the west coast offense a few years back. it really blew my mind, and has actually helped me run the west coast in madden.

that reminds me i wanted to bring this up. it's pretty interesting that most of the people in this league run a different offense. i run a dink and dunk run offense, matrix runs a spread passing offense, ck runs a variation, DM almost runs the run and shoot with how little he runs, etc etc. good times

Lonestar

"If one of you doesn't call cheese and threaten to quit the league in the next 5 posts, you're both gone."

Um...cheese?

Bog

Junior Ace
If my WR dropped the ball and then I went 4 and out then yes, I'd say the problem was my red zone offense. But I had plenty of time, I was mounting a nice drive and it all went to shit with that INSANE bit of bad luck. I don't want my WRs to make more than 2-3 plays a game, but they better make 2 or 3 CATCHES a game. You can look back on any game and point out how it could have been won by either side, but when it comes down to one play, and it's not determined by skill or play calling, but rather by a bit of insanity, then I think it's ok to dwell on that. You say "you have to put people away early" but you didn't. Neither of us did because we're both good players and it was a good game, until that one play. That's all. I'm dropping it. I wasn't going to have a perfect season anyway, but with our division and conference insanely competitive, the pain of losing to a tipped (by my own WR) ball is greater than the frustration of going 3 and out at the goalline.

Mrbob

:lol :lol

Oh man this is going to be a good season. DM can you play later tonight I might as well get my loss out of the way!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
dskillzhtown said:
My point is that when playing Madden I need to think of it as a videogame, or a "chess match" and CK called it. Not as an NFL sim. I have definitely been taking it recently as a sim, and that has not worked. Not dissing the game or any other player. Just expressing what I need to do to win some games.

I think it's more important in this game to know your opponent than to know their team. Bob didn't run much or swing many passes out to LT which is what the Chargers do, and he started hitting his WRs like crazy. Hell, Slo is leading the league in rushing with the VIKINGS. I've had more success with a more utilitarian approach between my own team and anyone else's team. Just think about it, how many GAF players take advantage of the stars on their team (Other than whoever uses the Falcons, for obvious reasons)? Again I bring up Slo and his 15/30 passing totals with Randy Moss on that team.

FMT: What is the name of the book? I recently finished Phil Simms' book and am interested in another football related read.

Lonestar

haha, Bob, just saw your Tag. I Wondered why it would never show up on my PDA, now I know!

Slo

Wellington said:
Hell, Slo is leading the league in rushing with the VIKINGS.

.... Just think about it, how many GAF players take advantage of the stars on their team (Other than whoever uses the Falcons, for obvious reasons)? Again I bring up Slo and his 15/30 passing totals with Randy Moss on that team.

I don't think that's quite fair, but I'm not going to try to defend myself. The less I say about my gameplan, the better.

Lonestar

Matrix, what time are you available to play when the round advances? During the week, I'm home between 5-10 pm EST

Top Bottom