• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Season 3 League Thread: The Imperial March (to the superbowl!)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Slo said:
I don't think that's quite fair, but I'm not going to try to defend myself. The less I say about my gameplan, the better.

I don't mean that as an insult, but I'm sure you agree that the stars of that offense are on the passing side. They pass a lot in real life, the AI passes a lot with them in offline games, and you would normally expect anyone using that team to pass a lot. You're clearly the best example of trying to matchup with the player and not the team, which was my intended point.

This is going to be a rough season if we don't collectively lighten up. :lol

Fifty

Bog said:
If my WR dropped the ball and then I went 4 and out then yes, I'd say the problem was my red zone offense. But I had plenty of time, I was mounting a nice drive and it all went to shit with that INSANE bit of bad luck. I don't want my WRs to make more than 2-3 plays a game, but they better make 2 or 3 CATCHES a game. You can look back on any game and point out how it could have been won by either side, but when it comes down to one play, and it's not determined by skill or play calling, but rather by a bit of insanity, then I think it's ok to dwell on that. You say "you have to put people away early" but you didn't. Neither of us did because we're both good players and it was a good game, until that one play. That's all. I'm dropping it. I wasn't going to have a perfect season anyway, but with our division and conference insanely competitive, the pain of losing to a tipped (by my own WR) ball is greater than the frustration of going 3 and out at the goalline.

Haha Bog. I'm glad my material can be reused.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Lonestar can you play tonight?

I can play tomorrow at 9 pm eastern time or Tuesday night anytime.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Hey HGplayer, I know we are not up to that point yet, but I have to play you either Thursday night or Friday and we should schedule. I leave Friday night for the dominican republic and I won't be back within our round. Thursday night I should be home round 10:30 PM EST, but I am off for all of Friday. Let me know when you can play.

By the same token, Maverick, I will be back on Wednesday and we have to play that day. Let me know when you can.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
gg FMT. Your run defense was scary. I couldn't get anything going with Dunn at all.

But I think I'm learning how to pass with the Falcons. :).

Maverick

Good game Gun. I think you deserved to win it...I can't believe I threw that INT on the 2. I told myself no matter what no f'ing turnover on that play. Karma came back when Staley fumbled but somehow Mays actually got open for once on that big 4th down. I can't believe I went 0/10 on 3rd downs. That was just crazy.

Wel- Wed is fine...I have class from till like 8 pm EST though.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Maverick said:
Good game Gun. I think you deserved to win it...I can't believe I threw that INT on the 2. I told myself no matter what no f'ing turnover on that play. Karma came back when Staley fumbled but somehow Mays actually got open for once on that big 4th down. I can't believe I went 0/10 on 3rd downs. That was just crazy.

Wel- Wed is fine...I have class from till like 8 pm EST though.

I can't believe an INT that I got against you cost me the game, because since I got the INT on the 2 you ended up getting the safety on me which is the 2 point victory you had. I played pretty well considering I was down 10 to 0 in about 2 minutes into the game, cause of the stupid pick I threw. Good game to you.

I promise a victory next time we meet!!!!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
GG ram....

after that missed fg attempt , that would have put me up 2 touchdowns, the momentum clearly went your way.... crazy... 40-34, I am cry

COMMISIONER DECREE FORTHCOMING....

THE PLAY "HB Corner" in Trips TE IS ILLEGAL IF YOU THROW TO THE RUNNINGBACK.

it is a cheese play that is essentially a RB corner post and is basically unguarable. the only way to stop it would be to play a zone defense, as the LB will never be able to cover the RB out of the backfield. if you are going to run this play, please refrain from throwing to your RB. i myself am guilty of using it as i didn't realize it was cheese (i didn't abuse it though). but, no longer my friends, no longer...

p.s. if you see this play ran against you and notice it (the RB will start off in the backfield, then do a sort of post to the outside), please pause the game, tell your opponent its illegal, and continue playing. if your opponent continually does it, just play as normal and let me know. i will assess the situation, and most likely reverse the win if you lose the game. don't cheese fellas!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FrenchMovieTheme said:
COMMISIONER DECREE FORTHCOMING....

THE PLAY "HB Corner" in Trips TE IS ILLEGAL IF YOU THROW TO THE RUNNINGBACK.

it is a cheese play that is essentially a RB corner post and is basically unguarable. the only way to stop it would be to play a zone defense, as the LB will never be able to cover the RB out of the backfield. if you are going to run this play, please refrain from throwing to your RB. i myself am guilty of using it as i didn't realize it was cheese (i didn't abuse it though). but, no longer my friends, no longer...

p.s. if you see this play ran against you and notice it (the RB will start off in the backfield, then do a sort of post to the outside), please pause the game, tell your opponent its illegal, and continue playing. if your opponent continually does it, just play as normal and let me know. i will assess the situation, and most likely reverse the win if you lose the game. don't cheese fellas!

I knew it! Assess the situation and reverse the super bowl outcome! :D

j/k

I had spoken to a couple of GAFfers about this play, glad it is finally getting the recognition of the other corner routes. I knew it was a problem when London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes couldn't keep up with Clinton Portis. :(

:0 @ 436 yards of passing offense from Malleymal

Shadax

Banned
Bah. Can you overturn blatant player Pass Interferences that the game doesn't call?

Are all corner plays illegal now? Why don't we just ban the Redskins playbook entirely?

Slo

If they are, it hasn't been made a rule. The only corner routes that are illegal are the double slot corners play, and the play that FMT just mentioned above. Based on comments in this thread, any outside receiver can run a corner route. Any TE can run a corner route. And if you only have 1 slot receiver on the field, he can run a corner route.

hgplayer1

dskillzhtown said:
HG, I should be able to play tomorrow, anytime after 8 Central. Does that work for you?

that shouldnt be a problem except Im not sure exactly what time I will be able to play. lets plan on playing at 8 and if you dont see me as soon as you log in then I probably wont be able to make it until a little later.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Slo said:
If they are, it hasn't been made a rule. The only corner routes that are illegal are the double slot corners play, and the play that FMT just mentioned above. Based on comments in this thread, any outside receiver can run a corner route. Any TE can run a corner route. And if you only have 1 slot receiver on the field, he can run a corner route.

Is this true? I basically have to stay away from a whole formation because I don't even want the option of throwing that corner pass. Bills offense suddenly got a lot better, gents. :0

Slo: When do you want to kick my ass tonight? I should be home and redy to play from 7PM EST onward. If you can only play from 11 EST on, please make it as early as possible. :|

Edit: I dunno... the problem is that even with just the one slot receiver, your defender is still picked. It's not a problem with a TE. Well, whatever FMT says. I'll still stay away from it, but if my opponent uses it I'm going to deem it fair to abuse. :)

Slo

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was made pretty clear in the PRE-Season 3 thread. The explanation was that when there is only one slot receiver, you can manually intervene and break up the play if the slot receiver runs that route. If there are two slots, whaddya gonna do?

Edit: If I can play a little before 11, I'll be sure to try. And just so you know CK, I plan on running some plays where the slot corner is my 3rd or 4th read. I'm sure as hell going to throw to that receiver if my only other option is taking a sack. I would expect the same out of you.

As I've said before, my opinion is that the problem is not USE, it's ABUSE. If I had my way, people in this league would "play football", not "play Madden". Running 5 consecutive corner routes on the game winning drive is not football, it's a lame Madden exploit. But the fact is that a nickel corner is going to have a hard time covering a #3 receiver in real life NFL, and I'm sure the real life Redskins would lick their lips dreaming about a 1-on-1 matchup between Spikes and Portis on a downfield route. I know I would! (HINT HINT). These plays are in the playbook because they are hard to cover and they work, what a novel idea! I get the idea some people in this league think the only plays that should be allowed are the ones that are easy to cover.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Slo said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was made pretty clear in the PRE-Season 3 thread. The explanation was that when there is only one slot receiver, you can manually intervene and break up the play if the slot receiver runs that route. If there are two slots, whaddya gonna do?

So I have to be able to predict when my opponent will use that play so that I can manually jump in there and make the play, otherwise it's a completion? Man, Fifty is going to be unstoppable then since he already uses the CB.... oh but he uses the guy covering the primary receiver.

When can you whoop me, f00?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
As I've said before, my opinion is that the problem is not USE, it's ABUSE. If I had my way, people in this league would "play football", not "play Madden". Running 5 consecutive corner routes on the game winning drive is not football, it's a lame Madden exploit. But the fact is that a nickel corner is going to have a hard time covering a #3 receiver in real life NFL, and I'm sure the real life Redskins would lick their lips dreaming about a 1-on-1 matchup between Spikes and Portis on a downfield route. I know I would! (HINT HINT). These plays are in the playbook because they are hard to cover and they work, what a novel idea! I get the idea some people in this league think the only plays that should be allowed are the ones that are easy to cover.

Alright, picture this. You're down ten points in the superbowl and your opponent has the ball on your thirty two yardline. You've gotten him down to 3rd and 15 and you call man to man coverage out of the Quarter formation with both safeties in a deep zone, and you've audibled the free-linebacker (who isn't covering anyone) into deep zone coverage as well. Ball is snapped, there's a DB on the RB who cuts out and runs the corner route in question. Even though the DB is faster than the RB he gets away from him because the way the play is designed with traffic where the RB cuts. You give up the long conversion.

Dskillz would be the first to tell you that I had a play that almost always worked in 3rd and 15, 3rd and 20 situations when we used to play just as the game came out. There was nothing that could be done to stop it aside from being able to correctly guess that I was going to call that play. Whatever, I get the hint, you will feature a play like that and I will have to be ready. My only question is why you have such poor passing numbers even playing in such an unscrupulous style? I'll be sure to have a couple of plays on offense to match what you are doing, though.

I understand your point, but there are plenty of plays in any given playbook that work without taking advantage of an error in the DB AI. Even if you only use the garbage cheese plays on third down and long, you are still converting much more than you should. But I'll keep that in mind since you're deadset on using plays which clearly give the offense an unfair advantage.

Slo

Wellington said:
My only question is why you have such poor passing numbers even playing in such an unscrupulous style? I'll be sure to have a couple of plays on offense to match what you are doing, though.

Please don't take this personally, and please don't make it personal. I'm not going to be doing anything that's unstoppable, in fact I don't even know if it will work. You know exactly why my numbers aren't great. You know I'm a poor player, infact you've told me so on many occasions. The fact that I'm tipping you off to my strategy should be taken as a message that I want to keep this friendly. I intend to imploy strategies that put me at the advantage and give me a chance to win. I'm going to use motion to create favorable matchups. I'm going to use formations that put your worst defenders on the field. And I'm going to try to hot route to weaknesses in your coverage. If I can figure out a way to get Sam Adams covering Moss one on one, you better believe I'm going to run that play. If you consider this cheese, then friend, you're going to hate my guts after tonight.

I understand your point, but there are plenty of plays in any given playbook that work without taking advantage of an error in the DB AI. Even if you only use the garbage cheese plays on third down and long, you are still converting much more than you should. But I'll keep that in mind since you're deadset on using plays which clearly give the offense an unfair advantage.

I don't intend to use cheese, and I don't plan on using the corner route as a primary route. My experience with throwing the route say that you need to throwing it shortly after the WR makes his cut. It's a primary route or not at all for me. I won't be done with my reads by the WR's break so the corner route PROBABLY won't be an option. What I'm talking about is the situation where the play breaks down, Culpepper is out of the pocket, and Spikes is hanging off his jockstrap. I see Burleson standing stationary on the sidelines and I've either got to throw the ball or take the sack. In this situation I really can't be bothered to remember what route that receiver ran originally, I just want to get rid of the ball. Again, if you consider that cheese, then I don't know what to say. :|

Fifty

We've banned enough plays, but the more I play this game the more I see the sickening overpowering of ALL corner routes. That's why second TEs get so open. That's why slot routes work. That's why the HB Corner play is now banned. The AI in this game (unless they make an amazing, pass-saving jump, just cannot cover corners with any degree of reliability. Slo, if you doubt this is a needed rule, go to practice mode (like I have) and call the play.

Shadax

Banned
What about Pass Interference? You can easily manhandle a WR/TE/RB manually as the ball is approaching them in the air and the game won't call a PI. At least with corner plays there's a chance of an INT, deflection, or dropped pass. With player PI, you're screwed. I mean, if we're going to start banning everything that the game does incorrectly...

Slo

Let's just do this, you guys make the rules and I'll follow them.

I don't know if my communication skills are piss poor or what, but I don't plan on running a bunch or corner routes. I think I've run maybe one all season. I seem to be having a hard time getting that point accross.

you can have a slot receiver run a corner post, just don't abuse it. the play is NOT guaranteed. here are your options against it:

1. play a man to man (you can even sub your best CB on the fly to cover the slot), and just have confidence it will be stopped.

2. stop it yourself

3. play a zone. there are some deep dropping zones that you guys can figure out on your own ;)

now, if you play the defensive line, that is your choice. i myself play LB most of the time. ANY TIME i see a 3 wide set, my eyes are set directly on that slot receiver. i dont care if my opponent is running a slant, post, or out, as far as i'm concerned that slot guy isn't going to beat me. defensive line, you have no control over stopping a receiver catching it manually, but you DO have control in getting to the qb. you want to play defensive line? get to the qb in time. you dont want your opponent completing passes? start learning lb/safety/cb.

dj i understand what you mean about the PI. i understand contact happens a lot downfield that is illegal. but the bottom line is you should have more than 1 option. if you are picking a play and saying "OK, rod gardner on the slant." and you see rod gardner is being pushed, punched and shoved, then look elsewhere. one of the key elements to being successful is reading the defense, and going through your reads. here are some tips to help you in the passing game:

1. use lots of motion and hike the ball before the motion man sets. this makes it difficult for the computer to get a bump on you

2. always have an outlet receiver/te/rb running a "safe" route that you can check down to. for instance, hot route your TE to run a short out, or your RB to run an out, or pick a play with the rb in the flat

3. use directional passing. all too often i see people with potentially good pass plays in their hands, and then they don't lead the receiver correctly. if your #1 receiver (on YOUR right side) is running a slant, you dont have to lead him into the LB ahead. push down while you are throwing and the pass will not be lead, and odds are the cb has already over pursued and you can get that quick completion.

my thought on the matter is that if a guy like ray lewis can't cover something when you know its coming (RB post) then wtf. there are 2 banned plays in league. they are the double posts out of the slot, and the RB post out of the trips TE formation. i haven't played anyone yet who blatantly pass interferes with your guys on his own accord, and i've played everyone in league

Shadax

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
dj i understand what you mean about the PI. i understand contact happens a lot downfield that is illegal. but the bottom line is you should have more than 1 option.

Bottom line is you have more than one option with corner plays. Call the right zone defenses. One of my weaknesses is that I call too much zone D and not enough man D, but the tradeoff is that I rarely see corner passes completed on my defense. I think perhaps the problem lies within most of the players in this league relying too much on man D, which might be the cause for the TEs/RBs/WRs getting open in the outside.

I feel unfairly targeted because the rest of the league has a problem with it and can't defend against it, so it gets banned, but when I point out a painfully obvious issue (PI) which has no solution, i.e. when a decision is made to pass to someone who looks to have his man beat and will be open but then gets shoved and the pass is picked.....I get told, "just get better at the game DJ."

I'll abide by the rules, but I find it awfully amusing that when I find an effective offensive drive (using HB corner twice in the same drive) against Fifty, the next day it's banned. Next season I'll just use a power team instead of trying to play to my teams strengths.

:lol poor slo

Slo: anyways, i agree the plays are money, that shouldn't happen.

Response: Well slo, go into practice mode if you dont believe me! jesus christ!

Slo: But i... sigh

p.s. DJ, i used that play from time to time last season as its in the jets playbook. CK brought it up to me after the superbowl (i used it 3 times, 1 for 15 yards on 3rd, 1 for a few yards on first, and once it got picked off), so this isn't targeting you. CK mentioned it after the superbowl and said he would test it out in practice and get back to me about it. he never got back to me, but when fifty brought it up yesterday i knew the exact play he was talking about

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I love these conversations you guys have. I love it cause I have no clue what anyone is ever talking about.
Corner route? Slot reciever? You want fries with that?

No one can ever get mad at me for calling certain plays cause I have no clue which ones are even banned. :lol

Ramirez

I feel unfairly targeted because the rest of the league has a problem with it and can't defend against it

Oh please,I've ran countless zones/man and still had corners completed on me by people like Chrebet and other no name WRs that are well past their time.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
You play your game tonight Slo, and I will play mine. I just don't want to have lost because of something that is an exploit in the game. And I don't think you want me using Sam Adams on Moss. I am the all time leader in lineman user picks (2). :lol

I'm sorry if it seems I am not giving you any sympathy, it's just that you have the best offense in the game and you even admitted that the team itself is overpowered. It's hard for me to accept that and then also swallow that you want to run plays which are questionable.

Whatever, this isn't last season and I have the personnel on the defensive side of the ball to make plays the Giants couldn't. I'll see you at 11 PM, may the best man win, no hard feelings no matter the outcome.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Fifty said:
:lol :lol :lol

Just run with Vick! Anything can happen.

I don't look to run with him but it sure is sweet when everyone is covered and I have the option of just tucking the ball and heading upfield. He's pretty fumble prone in this years Madden though. Which is good I guess cause some people can sure abuse him.
I hate that you have to actually tuck the ball to run with the QB. I would rather run to an open space, use the playmaker control on the nearest reciever and then pass the ball. But when you tuck it you pretty much have to run it just cause it takes so long to get back into a passing mode.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
oy, scared to death. First the power outage saturday, then last night I thought my cable modem died.

Checked it when I got home and it's fine (crosses fingers)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Lonestar,do you want to play now since its working?

Matrix

Yea thats cool,I'll be in the league lobby then.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ok, everythings loaded up, PC's working (I was on my PDA in a....Nature Call Disturbance Zone)

Top Bottom