• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Dan said:
Because an utterly kickass multiplayer game just launched hugely, and people were nabbing extra controllers that they suddenly could use.
Yeah, the lack of WaveBirds really helped Wii Play. And people said Nintendo was crazy for not making them anymore.

Bizzyb

Banned
Angelus said:
Well it is amazing to see the Wii do this well. 700,000 in a month is non sense though.

Sometimes you wonder if people actually stop and take some time to see all the software on the consoles thats good to play or if they just whip out their wallet when they see a Wii, it sure seems that way.

Most people out there don't give two s***s about all of the dozens of shooters and racers out there with all of their fancy shaders and pixel renderings. All they care about is having a halfway decent looking game that's FUN and easy to play/win at (e.g. Carnival Games). Oh and WITHOUT draining their wallet (the Gas pumps are already doing that) , esp for something they may only use but 3 times a month or only when their kids want to play it/company comes over

That's it.

The don't care about how awesome Bioshock looks, or how cool CoD4 is to play on LIVE.

i think you misunderstand in thinking that we (the posters at GAF) are the majority of people who are buying these consoles and driving this industry.

Well it is amazing to see the Wii do this well. 700,000 in a month is non sense though.

Sometimes you wonder if people actually stop and take some time to see all the software on the consoles thats good to play or if they just whip out their wallet when they see a Wii, it sure seems that way.

I saw it first hand. 30 Wiis in a Walmart one day,none the next,this was last week. My opinion isn't any worse than yours. If you wanna put me on some list then do it then. Your list is going to be beyond huge because others don't care for the Wii library all that much either.

Umm, see, the thing is - Wii actually has a pretty great lineup of software. It has the 2006 GOTY, the 2007 GOTY (and game of the generation so far), probably the most feature packed fighter ever made, the best controlling FPS on consoles, the best soccer game ever made (PES 2008), and the most popular multiplayer title this generation (Wii Sports). Not to mention Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Trauma Centre, Excite Truck, Guitar Hero III, No More Heroes, Zack and Wiki, Okami, etc.

DavidDayton said:
You know what's going to be amusing?

When we get in NPD data for April, showing sales of both GTA4 and Mario Kart.

No matter what happens, there will be a meltdown of some sort.

GTA4 will outsell Mario Kart 5 to 1. Wii and DS will be fine, so the only potential meltdown is when we find out exactly how much the 360 version outsold the PS3 version by, and how much the 360 outsold the PS3.

Pachael

Zerachiel said:
Holy crap, it's like March is a holiday month. Not even because of the big releases: why the hell is the DS selling nearly 700k? Why did Wii Play nearly double its usual monthly rate? Why did Rainbow Six and Army of Two debut so damn high?

Great numbers all around. Recession my ass.

Technically March is a holiday month. Did GAF forget about Easter?

Havoc

Banned
Pakman said:
Awesome SW numbers. Also wow at MLB2k8. I was thinking of just waiting to buy MLB 08: The Show when I eventually pick up a PS3, but now I'm tempted to just go buy 2k8.
Teh Show is better.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Pachael said:
Technically March is a holiday month. Did GAF forget about Easter?
How many times does this need to be posted? People don't celebrate Easter in the US. Where's that braille picture when I need it?

Jag22

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Umm, see, the thing is - Wii actually has a pretty great lineup of software. It has the 2006 GOTY, the 2007 GOTY (and game of the generation so far), probably the most feature packed fighter ever made, the best controlling FPS on consoles, the best soccer game ever made (PES 2008), and the most popular multiplayer title this generation (Wii Sports). Not to mention Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Trauma Centre, Excite Truck, Guitar Hero III, No More Heroes, Zack and Wiki, Okami, etc.

2006 and 2007 GOTY according to whom?

_Angelus_

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

RUNNING THROUGH THE ANGELUS REVISIONIST TRANSLATOR...PROCESSING...PROCESSING...COMPLETE

ERROR...ERROR...ERROR

And you don't read properly. Stop glossing over the parts where I made clear sense and STOP making this something its not.

Again-if the consumer stopped and looked at all libraries on each system they would not choose to buy a Wii. Thats where I said the consumer is spending foolishly.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
*numbers intentionally omitted*

NPD-LTD-0308.jpg

NPD-MONTHLY-0308.jpg

NPD-MS-LINE-0308.jpg

NPD-MS-PIE-0308.jpg

NPD-NEXTGEN-LEAD-0308.jpg

=================

For comparitive purposes, here's what's happening in Japan:

mc-LTD-72.jpg

mc-wii-lead-72.jpg

Angelus said:
Again-if the consumer stopped and looked at all libraries on each system they would not choose to buy a Wii. Thats where I said the consumer is spending foolishly.
Right, your opinion on the libraries is better than theirs.

I think I find the fact that you refuse to acknowledge your own point more amusing than the point itself.

Novid said:
Look, enough with this Wii is not commonplace or whatever. The damn media only see the numbers and could care less about what some of us think. You didn’t think the damn Oscars, Good Morning America and all the rest of this media would care if the Wii didn’t have the numbers they did now?

Its about the style of gaming being put out.

You cant sell shooting up people to folks while they are eating their breakfast. Fitness training? Now that works.

dammitmattt said:
GTA4 will outsell Mario Kart 5 to 1. Wii and DS will be fine, so the only potential meltdown is when we find out exactly how much the 360 version outsold the PS3 version by, and how much the 360 outsold the PS3.

Bookmarked for meltdown purposes.

Fuzzy said:
But GAF has terrible taste in games.

True. But they did somehow manage to get those two right.

So the multitude of magazines and sites that called Gears (GOTY 06) and BioShock (GOTY 07) don't count?

Pretty much, yeah.

It was my opinion they were GOTY. It wasn't a definitive statement.

Oh and LOL at Gears. Bioshock is great though.

dammitmattt said:
I used to think this way too, but Ive been surprised by MKs performance in Europe and Japan.

I've heard reports of MK rivaling GTA preorders in some Gamestops. Surprising, considering most say that MK basically surged out of nowhere whereas theyve been taking GTA preorders for quite a while now.

Ani's GS actually had MK within a stone's throw of the combined number of preorders for both versions of GTA IV. Not just one version but combined.

Saitou

Banned
Novid said:
WORDS WORDS WORDS OH MY GOD I'M DROWNING
Congratulations, now you may cry yourself to sleep with a little dignity left knowing that you have reassured yourself and others of your manly gamer tastes!

Owzers

_Alkaline_ said:

Wii's library is pretty bad :( I guess it would be great if you LOVED Wii, which makes sense, or if you only play a game every couple of months.

PkunkFury said:
perhaps instead you should wonder what types of software people actually want to buy...

360 has an amazing software lineup, but it caters to a very small demographic. Sales like this are really to be expected. It's not hard to imagine someone who isn't interested in shooters passing up a 360 for a Wii

360 Genre Strengths: FPS, 3PS, WRPGs, JRPGs, Sandbox, Sports, Fighting, Racing, Music, Old School rcade, Puzzle, Console RTS, Adventure

Aside from minigame collections and platformers, what is missing here?

Also, that demographic is not small at all. Maybe you meant to say "narrow"?

Ceres

Banned
Angelus said:
And you don't read properly. Stop glossing over the parts where I made clear sense and STOP making this something its not.

Why would someone who doesn't like FPS, TPS, or sports games buy a 360?
Are you now going to claim that what the 360 has in other genres is comparative?

Jag22

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
True. But they did somehow manage to get those two right.

Pretty much, yeah.

It was my opinion they were GOTY. It wasn't a definitive statement.

Oh and LOL at Gears. Bioshock is great though.

AIAS Game of the Year winners

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Year

Gears was much better than Twilight Princess. Mario Galaxy definitely is good enough to be GOTY, but Twilight Princess was just a long boring mesh of a Zelda game.

If "Zelda" wasn't in the title, it wouldn't have been critically acclaimed.

Owzers

_Alkaline_ said:
What is your Wii collection?

I own Mario and Smash Brothers ( haven't opened it yet but will soon).

I've played Rayman, Elebits, and RE: UC all were underwhelming.

I'm going to rent Zack and Wiki and Metroid Prime 3.

I'm going to buy Zelda one day.

PkunkFury

Angelus said:
Shooters is all the system has?
Oh boy. Either you aren't looking hard or you don't care to look.
I could say the same about Nintendo but I know they have other genres that are out for their fanbase to choose from. But the problem is those same genres are better represented on other consoles. Its using your money for the better library,being abit wiser with your spending overall.

This being bitter accusation is just a cop out for defensive fans on the Wii if you ask me.

I didn't say shooters are all the system has. What I said was that if you aren't interested in shooters it's easy to see why you'd pick up a Wii. The Wii's lineup becomes more comparable to the 360s to someone who isn't looking for mature games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jag22 said:
AIAS Game of the Year winners

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Year

Gears was much better than Twilight Princess. Mario Galaxy definitely is good enough to be GOTY, but Twilight Princess was just a long boring mesh of a Zelda game.

If "Zelda" wasn't in the title, it wouldn't have been critically acclaimed.
Or maybe it would hve been more critically acclaimed since it wouldnt have anything to live up to and have ridiculous expectations set upon it

Jag22

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:

House of the Dead 2 & 3 is much better than RE: UC (and its cheaper).

RE: UC isn't much of a lightgun game IMHO.

Brashnir said:
well, this pretty much ends that "year of the PS3" nonsense.

It's Year #2 of the Wii.

I dunno about you, but I usually look at the games that are being released for that system when determining what year it is.

And as I check over my syllabus... yep... MGS4 is still PS3 exclusive. Looks like the year has PS3 all over it.

But that's just my opinion.

Ariexv

Ceres said:
Why would someone who doesn't like FPS, TPS, or sports games buy a 360?
Are you now going to claim that what the 360 has in other genres is comparative?
Mass Effect
Guitar Hero
Rockband
Burnout Paradise
Forza 2
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Oblivion
Banjo 3
Tales of Vesperia
Infinite Undiscovery
Cry On
Elveon
Too Human

Comon that's an insanely stupid argument... wheres the chart that shows only like 18% of 360 games are shooters?

sillymonkey321 said:

Well you own two of Wii's best games, so that's a decent start, but i don't think you can make a judgement on Wii's library since you haven't played Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Zack and Wiki, Resident Evil 4 and No More Heroes.

360 is superior software wise, definitely, but to say the Wii's library is "bad" is less opinion and more ignorance i would say.

Gears was a great looking game with enjoyable pop-and-stop mechanics but it was repetitive, emotionally bland, repetitive, generic and repetitive. For what it was, it was good fun. But GOTY? Ummm, well, everyone's entitled to their opinion. But it gets a massive LOL from me.

On the other hand Twilight Princess was a finely crafted, epic adventure with actual emotion in the story-telling, some of the best dungeons and bosses ever made, and some of the best cut-scenes and scenarios in the series. Not perfect of course (I've gone into much detail about the game in my recent thread) but much more worthy of GOTY. My opinion, of course.

Innotech

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
I'm playing the same genres I've been playing since I began gaming.
Seriously. Nintendo has offered the exact same great franchises they always have, and in a quicker time frame to boot. Its just that they also have additional new demographics to sell to now.
Smash bros Brawl is phenomenal quality, Fire emblem still appeals greatly to fans, Mario Galaxy is the greatest the franchise has been in years, Zelda TP is a fine addition to the franchise, Metroid Prime 3 might be the finest of the trilogy, Mario Strikers is a damn fun soccer game, Mario Party 8 retains the charm of previous versions, Warioware was never done better than this, and now MArio Kart continues its sales rampage. Nintendo is focusing just as much on hardcore as they ever have. Perhaps even moreso this gen with the extra cash and time.
I really have no idea how the games they have offered are any less hardcore than they were previously. Especially when the system not only works with gamecube controllers, but also gives you three other choices in many games. On top of all that is the old-school Virtual console. Doesnt get anymore traditional or hardcore than those. So where does this "only casuals play the Wii" schtick come from? Im actually curious.

Arde5643

Ariexv said:
Comon that's an insanely stupid argument... wheres the chart that shows only like 18% of 360 games are shooters?
Agreed - anytime console wars come into play, the smart posters can even get pretty stupid. :/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ariexv said:
Mass Effect
Guitar Hero
Rockband
Burnout Paradise
Forza 2
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Oblivion
Banjo 3
Tales of Vesperia
Infinite Undiscovery
Cry On
Elveon
Too Human

Half of those games arent even released yet. How can you assess their quality

Top Bottom