• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

borghe said:
ehh.. bullshit. IF Nintendo is not common place, why are they getting games like No More Heroes, Monster Hunter 3, Trauma Center, not to mention mainstream titles like GH, Rock Band (sigh), and all the licensed bullshit. There is PLENTY of commonplace gaming to be had on wii. plenty.

Waggle is not commonplace, its only been out for 2 years.

FartOfWar said:
257lxmd.jpg

Awesome.

Ceres

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
No More Heroes, PES 2008 and Zack and Wiki. Buy those and be glad you did!

Oh and can someone tell Pimpbaa to STFU? Thanks.

Meh. I started ignoring. I don't mind a good argument but simply not worth it to feed an obvious troll/joke account.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Aaron Greenberg already said that in the United States, Europe, Middle East and Africa, they have a 2:1 advantage in preorders. Given the popularity here in the states over the 360, I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 3:1 here.

Tabris

legend166 said:
Well, it's only getting outsold by 7k a week in Japan. Go check out the latest Media Create thread. Lowest PS3 sales ever.

Don't you mean 40k? As in double the amount? PS3 will follow suit on the PSP rise to heaven later this year.

Please explain how the rise of the PSP in Japan is having an effect on US shores. Granted, Japan is now PSP Land - no argument there. But the US is dominated by the DS, and while the PSP had a good month I don't expect it to do much of anything else for awhile.

The exact same thing was said about Japan being "DS land" and no one believed my PSP predictions back in 2007 which are now completly true. It's a transition phase for NA just like Japan had with the PSP, it takes time. Same with PS3. Be patient.

Ceres

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Aaron Greenberg already said that in the United States, Europe, Middle East and Africa, they have a 2:1 advantage in preorders. Given the popularity here in the states over the 360, I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 3:1 here.

Well, obviously Japan is going to save GTA4 for the PS3.

Oh wait.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Tom Penny said:
Well it better start outselling the PS3 in the US by a large margin because when you combine Europe , Japan and everywere else it's getting outsold every single week .

I don't really care about worldwide sales. I am just stating the most likely scenario that the 360 will continue to dominate the PS3 in terms of software and its hardware will outsell it overall for 2008.

and Tabris, you can't be serious. GTAIV will sell a million units more on the 360 than on PS3 first month. :)

borghe said:
ehh.. bullshit. IF Nintendo is not common place, why are they getting games like No More Heroes, Monster Hunter 3, Trauma Center, not to mention mainstream titles like GH, Rock Band (sigh), and all the licensed bullshit. There is PLENTY of commonplace gaming to be had on wii. plenty. saying anything else is why people get made fun of for claiming the wii is somehow inferior in traditional gaming to the other two. And obviously I left out Nintendo as a publisher to avoid being called on that, but nintendo has put out some of the absolute best "traditional" games this generation so far... for a system that houses all of that, it's pretty disingenuous to claim it's marketed solely to a separate demo.

Im not claiming anything. Did you watch E3 last year? At all?

Pimpbaa

Ceres said:
Meh. I started ignoring. I don't mind a good argument but simply not worth it to feed an obvious troll/joke account.

I'm not a joke account :( Seriously tho, I was kidding. I'm more interested in the utter and total dominace of the 360 over the PS3. I mean it killed it. Sony is never gonna recover after that!

Pimpbaa said:
I feel so sorry for you. I know I haven't thrown away my first girlfriends phone number, but sometimes you just need to let it go and move on.

That is an incorrect reply since I wasn't extolling the virtues of "non-games." For better or for worse, Nintendo's past two home consoles have all shared a similar games release list. I'm not sure how you find the Wii lacking in comparison to the GCN and N64 at least in terms of first party releases. Since launch, the Wii has already seen new, and improved in my opinion, installments of almost every GCN "core" franchise that I enjoyed with a few more significant new titles due out by the end of the year.

This doesn't mean I'm satisfied with the Wii's software situation. I'd prefer it if Nintendo released a console like the 360 and put all their resources behind the types of games that matter to me but if you can get over the fact that it isn't a HD system, you'll find a release list that parallels and exceeds the first two years of both the GCN and N64, two systems I enjoyed way more than either the 360 or PS3 so far.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Tabris said:
The exact same thing was said about Japan being "DS land" and no one believed my PSP predictions back in 2007 which are now completly true. It's a transition phase for NA just like Japan had with the PSP, it takes time. Same with PS3. Be patient.
Actually I think your predictions were 100% totally undeniably wrong. The only thing similar is that PSP is experiencing a Monster Hunter boost.

Tabris said:
The exact same thing was said about Japan being "DS land" and no one believed my PSP predictions which are now completly true. It's a transition phase, it takes time. Same with PS3.

The PSP is having a wonderful resurgence in Japan but let's not go crazy here. It's clearly become everyone's second handheld but the top 50 software still points to DS land.

AlteredBeast said:
I don't really care about worldwide sales. I am just stating the most likely scenario that the 360 will continue to dominate the PS3 in terms of software and its hardware will outsell it overall for 2008.

and Tabris, you can't be serious. GTAIV will sell a million units more on the 360 than on PS3 first month. :)

Didnt I read somewhere on this board there are over 6 million pre orders. Im willing to say 4M-Xbox 2M-PS3, for April.

Tabris said:
The exact same thing was said about Japan being "DS land" and no one believed my PSP predictions which are now completly true. It's a transition phase, it takes time. Same with PS3.

I agree that the PS3 will eventually begin selling well in the US, but it won't solely be due to GTA, which will benefit the 360 more. We won't see any big movement until later this year imo. I prefer the 360 in every category but even I can't deny that the PS3 has the superior overall lineup this year. But while the sales will pick up, I'm not sure the PS3 will "beat" the 360 in the US. We'll see.

The PSP is going to control Japan until another Brain Age hype game comes out for the DS.

Tabris

Crushed said:
Actually I think your predictions were 100% totally undeniably wrong. The only thing similar is that PSP is experiencing a Monster Hunter boost.

PSP has been outselling the DS in Japan way before MHP2ndG. It started with Final Fantasy VII actually. It outsold the DS for several weeks, then started selling consistently just below the DS and then exploded in 2008. Just as I had predicted.

Tom Penny

AlteredBeast said:

How can it sell more hardware overall in 2008 getting outsold every week worldwide?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
jordan0386 said:
I wonder how much of the 21-49 Male demographic play their Wii more than their Xbox 360?
Probably quite a lot, since that's a large part of the Wii demographic that probably overshadows the entire 360 userbase.

Bluemercury said:
I like the whole wii games quality questioning, then i see VEGAS 2 and Army of two in the main positions of the top10........:lol
Both infinitly superior to Wii Play, second Wii game on the list. : |

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tabris said:
Actually I said it would sell over a million and it now has exceeded that worldwide. SE must be very happy with these numbers and we should see them releasing more games on PSP now that it's taking over Japan slowly. FYI, FFVII:CC has now outsold every single game Square released on the GBA.

Anyways, Playstation family is on the rise and after the Brawl spike and MGS4, things will be changing. They are already starting with the PSP, PS3 will follow suit soon.

Expect good things in the next couple of months unless you like jacking off Nintendo sales, then you might not have as much fun. Sort of like in the media create threads.
When I said here I meant here Tabris, FFIII and CC did/are doing well but S-E hasn't had a game like FFTA or KH in the US on the current portables.

:lol @ PS family/PSP taking over Japan garbage. Don't ever change Tabris.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Tom Penny said:
How can it sell more hardware overall in 2008 getting outsold every week worldwide?

I just said that I don't care about worldwide sales. I am from America, almost all of the games I own for my 360 are western made. Why the hell would I care about how the system that I play the most sells in the smallest region for videogames of my choice?

The 360 will sell more than the PS3 this year in North America. Is that clear enough for you?

vesp

PSP software on top 10 makes me happy (though numbers for a god of war/ff should still probably be a bit higher).

Ceres

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
Both infinitly superior to Wii Play, second Wii game on the list. : |

Except you can't use both the argument that this game sells because it's a $10 game with a remote and the one where it sells because the owners have poor taste in games.

Tabris said:
I disagree, I bet you grand theft auto 4 will have just as much sales on the PS3, if not more. Add to that you will see MGS4 explode on the scene. PS3 will have an amazing Q3/Q4 and will outsell 360 for both hardware and software this year.

PS3 software > 360 software
GTA4 PS3 sales > GTA4 360 sales

I see what you're doing there. I'll ignore and carry on!

Ariexv

Tabris said:
PSP has been outselling the DS in Japan way before MHP2ndG. It started with Final Fantasy VII actually. It outsold the DS for several weeks, then started selling consistently just below the DS and then exploded in 2008. Just as I had predicted.
Yea but isn't that more due to the fact that EVERYONE who wants a DS pretty much has one in Japan? wasn't their an article awhile back saying something like 1 in 4 or 1 in 3 people in Japan own a DS at this point?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Holy shit those Wii & DS numbers are crazy!

Yup, although this kind of thing makes me want to pour one for the PS3.

I guess I am following my tradition of supporting a non-winning console like the past (genesis, saturn, DC, Gamecube). If anything, Nintendo and MS should pray that I don't buy their console and get my curse.

JudgeN

So GAF is back to preaching gloom and doom for the PS3? Where there is 360 games there will be a multiplatform release on the PS3, this generation is already shown us that is how it to be. As far as the Wii goes,I don't really care that its winning but it sad that I spent $2000 on a new HDTV only to be stuck in 480p for another 5 years, but o well at least I got Blu-ray and 7.1 HD sound.

Pimpbaa said:
Assuming gamers preference in consoles (or handhelds).

This discussion really doesn't belong in the NPD thread but stating that the DS is the handheld of choice in Japan at this point is pretty far from "assuming".

WinFonda

AlteredBeast said:
I just said that I don't care about worldwide sales. I am from America, almost all of the games I own for my 360 are western made. Why the hell would I care about how the system that I play the most sells in the smallest region for videogames of my choice?

The 360 will sell more than the PS3 this year in North America. Is that clear enough for you?
Well so far it's not so clear, PS3 still has sold more in NA this year than 360. It can go either way really, but I don't think it's as definitive as you would make it seem.

Rhindle

Lots of very wrong-headed comments on hardware sales in this thread.

360 and PS3 sales are very healthy. Both are up significantly over last year. Unfortunately, this means MS is not going to be feeling much pressure to cut price. They're probably right about where they want to be.

Wii sales are still playing catch up. They caught up with demand in Europe and Japan, so they're now shipping more units to NA. At some point, they'll catch up in NA as well, probably in the next couple of months. We still don't know what the "equilibrium" level of Wii sales is. Could be 200K or could be 500K. It certainly isn't 700K. We'll know pretty soon.

Ceres said:
Except you can't use both the argument that this game sells because it's a $10 game with a remote and the one where it sells because the owners have poor taste in games.
Except that that argument has already been decided for me. This in an NPD thread and it is counted as a major, major software success for the Wii. Take that crap up with Anita Frasier and Nintendo who always like to spout off how successful that turd is.

Considering how everyone's reacting here, do I want to predict how everyone's going to react when the quarterly financials of each console maker are released.

We should be getting them soon, right?

Golden Darkness said:
Considering how everyone's reacting here, do I want to predict how everyone's going to react when the quarterly financials of each console maker are released.

We should be getting them soon, right?
10 days or so.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know what's going to be amusing?

When we get in NPD data for April, showing sales of both GTA4 and Mario Kart.

No matter what happens, there will be a meltdown of some sort.

Top Bottom