• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

Tabris said:
Well we'll find out in what? a month and a half. I'll be ready for that thread.

This one doesn't matter as while it's showing the rise of the PSP in Japan (notice how they don't make handheld charts anymore since PSP started owning the DS weekly) starting to affect the US shores, the PS3 doesn't have the fuel for it's rise to heaven yet. So we're just waiting.
Weren't you in the January NPD thread claiming that that was the month the PS3 was gonna take off and never look back?

So what's the hold up?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
fahr said:
The Wii has dominated the sales charts in EVERY region in the world since it launched and 3rd parties STILL don't think that a AAA developed title for the Wii would sell??

This generation of video games is the most baffling one ever. Historically, the top seller gets the most support. In this case, one of, if not THE FASTEST selling console in HISTORY can't get a AAA 3rd party title to save it's life even more than a full year after release (I'm exaggerating, of course, but not by much).

Strange times we are living in....

I don't understand how this is so hard to figure out. The AAA developers that release multiplatform games are seeing their sales on 360. In the event that the publisher decides to finance a Wii version, it isn't going to run on the same engine which means it could be farmed out to another developer. The only company you could really wonder about is Valve. Gabe Newell gave Wii a lot of lip service, EA doesn't pay for the development of their games, and they can develop when they want to (they didn't have to handle the PS3 version of Orange Box). Of course these developers have other things going on - Valve wants to sell games on Steam, Epic wants to push UE3, and other developers want to sell DLC... Wii doesn't work too well for these developers.

duk

Banned
Unbelievable Wii and DS numbers, I mean it's unstoppable.
Very good 360 numbers, up from last year and beating PS3 again.
Good PS3 numbers, very close to 360.

Software wise, 360 takes the cake as usual. Great showing from Wii and PSP too.

Jirotrom

Drinky Crow said:
can we call the ps3 this gen's gamecube officially, now? 2nd most powerful system, lags behind the xbox in sales, and whose hype among the gafcore is driven by a codependent set of japanese gaming fetishists obsessed with retread franchises and the occasional overmarketed and undelivering western exclusive
:lol :lol

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yup, although this kind of thing makes me want to pour one for the PS3.

I guess I am following my tradition of supporting a non-winning console like the past (genesis, saturn, DC, Gamecube). If anything, Nintendo and MS should pray that I don't buy their console and get my curse.

Well the Genesis was pretty neck and neck with the SNES. I wouldn't call it a loser by any stretch.

TheKurgan

FartOfWar said:
257lxmd.jpg

WTF? That's the last thing I needed to see before I go to bed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
PhoenixDark said:
The PSP is going to control Japan until another Brain Age hype game comes out for the DS.

From last MC Top 50

NDS - 25
WII - 9
PS2 - 7
PSP - 5
PS3 - 3
360 - 1

Damn thats some control they got there. Freaking iron fist of fury

fernoca

Any other numbers..floating around?
TheSimsExchange usually posts some extra numbers, but I cant find the link to their site..

_Angelus_

Banned
I just don't know what the living hell the public see in the Wii. I mean you see the game libraries on the other two consoles and there is pure fucking quality.

Man if Nintendo were the only game in town I think I'd just give console gaming the finger and let the market crash all over again. Amazing Wii numbers, but very clueless buyers though,geewiz.

Raw64life

Everything not in the OP so far...

March 08:

PS3 TOM CLANCYS RAINBOW SIX VEGAS 2: ~155K
PS3 HOT SHOTS GOLF: ~35K

360 GUITAR HERO III: ~120K
360 LOST ODYSSEY: ~65K

NDS FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: ~65K

WII BULLY: ~35K

-----

Rough LTDs:

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE: ~3.9 million
360 LOST ODYSSEY: ~270K

WII GUITAR HERO III: ~2 million

-----

Hardware LTDs:

PS2: ~41.9 million
GBA: ~36.0 million
NDS: ~19.1 million
XBX: ~14.5 million
GCN: ~11.8 million
PSP: ~11.3 million
360: ~9.9 million
Wii: ~8.8 million
PS3: ~4.1 million

-----

WII PLAY W/REMOTE - WTF:

February 07 - 371K
March 07 - 273K
April 07 - 249K
May 07 - 227K
June 07 - 293K
July 07 - 278K
August 07 - 257K
September 07 - 282K
October 07 - 240K
November 07 - 564K
December 07 - 1.1 million
January 08 - 298K
February 08 - 290K
March 08 - 410K

Zerachiel

Holy crap, it's like March is a holiday month. Not even because of the big releases: why the hell is the DS selling nearly 700k? Why did Wii Play nearly double its usual monthly rate? Why did Rainbow Six and Army of Two debut so damn high?

Great numbers all around. Recession my ass.

Ceres

Banned
Angelus said:
I just don't know what the living hell the public see in the Wii. I mean you see the game libraries on the other two consoles and there is pure fucking quality.

Man if Nintendo were the only game in town I think I'd just give console gaming the finger and let the market crash all over again. Amazing Wii numbers, but very clueless buyers though,geewiz.

Yeah. I'm just so pissed that I spent money on such an awesome game like Brawl. Man I'm so clueless.

Pakman

Awesome SW numbers. Also wow at MLB2k8. I was thinking of just waiting to buy MLB 08: The Show when I eventually pick up a PS3, but now I'm tempted to just go buy 2k8.

Pistolero

can we call the ps3 this gen's gamecube officially, now? 2nd most powerful system, lags behind the xbox in sales, and whose hype among the gafcore is driven by a codependent set of japanese gaming fetishists obsessed with retread franchises and the occasional overmarketed and undelivering western exclusive

You should be shot, then behaded, then burnt...and when only your ashes are left of you, we shall give them to some 1 dollar drug addict as***** to sniff !

Angelus said:

I take you off of my ignorelist and this is the thanks I get?!

_Angelus_

Banned
Ceres said:
Yeah. I'm just so pissed that I spent money on such an awesome game like Brawl. Man I'm so clueless.

Where did I say Brawl sucked.
No where did I.
Where did I say the Nintendo library sucked.
Again,no where..DID I?

Stop being defensive.

MisterHero

Dirtbag 504 said:
so it now appears that even the nintendo DS's are buying their own DS.
Who is even left to buy them at this point?
hey, 6 billion people - 1 billion ds owners still = 5 billion

nintendo's got a ways to go!

Ariexv

Angelus said:

Uhh what?

AAA(90+) Titles on the Wii=6, 3 are exclusives, 1 is Nintendo exclusive, 1 is a special Wii only edition

AAA Titles on the Ps3=3, all of them are Multi-Platform

AAA Titles on the 360=12, 6 are exclusive. 1 is a Arcade Title.

I think you're seriously doubting the quality of the games that the Wii has. While the 360 does have more AAA titles that's to be expected really when it's been out twice as long asn hey! it has twice as many AAA titles. The Wii however still has the 2nd highest amount of AAA titles though.

Treo360

Pakman said:
Awesome SW numbers. Also wow at MLB2k8. I was thinking of just waiting to buy MLB 08: The Show when I eventually pick up a PS3, but now I'm tempted to just go buy 2k8.

Really, don't. Just don't.

Bizzyb

Banned
Angelus said:

Accessibility
Affordability
Innovation/"Newness"
Fun Games (i. Zelda, Mario, Smash, RE4, Bully, Madden, etc etc)

What else is there really for them to want?

you my friend just sound really bitter towards Nintendo.

Ariexv said:
Uhh what?

AAA(90+) Titles on the Wii=6, 3 are exclusives, 1 is Nintendo exclusive, 1 is a special Wii only edition

AAA Titles on the Ps3=3, all of them are Multi-Platform

AAA Titles on the 360=12, 6 are exclusive. 1 is a Arcade Title.

I think you're seriously doubting the quality of the games that the Wii has. While the 360 does have more AAA titles that's to be expected really when it's been out twice as long asn hey! it has twice as many AAA titles. The Wii however still has the 2nd highest amount of AAA titles though.

Trying to match a subjective opinion by citing aggregated score information is pretty silly. You scream that post at the top of your lungs from the tops of the Alps and it wouldn't really matter.

_Angelus_

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I take you off of my ignore list and this is the thanks I get?!

Well it is amazing to see the Wii do this well. 700,000 in a month is non sense though.

Sometimes you wonder if people actually stop and take some time to see all the software on the consoles thats good to play or if they just whip out their wallet when they see a Wii, it sure seems that way.

I saw it first hand. 30 Wiis in a Walmart one day,none the next,this was last week. My opinion isn't any worse than yours. If you wanna put me on some list then do it then. Your list is going to be beyond huge because others don't care for the Wii library all that much either.

MisterHero

Angelus said:
Well it is amazing to see the Wii do this well. 700,000 in a month is non sense though.

Sometimes you wonder if people actually stop and take some time to see all the software on the consoles thats good to play or if they just whip out their wallet when they see a Wii, it sure seems that way.

I saw it first hand. 30 Wiis in a Walmart one day,none the next,this was last week. My opinion isn't any worse than yours. If you wanna put me on some list then do it then. Your list is going to be beyond huge because others don't care for the Wii library all that much either.
I hear the Virtual Console has some good games.

I still have never seen a Wii on a store shelf.

One time though, I saw an alpha mom pick one up she had on reserve at EB. I actually got to tough the box too...

_Angelus_

Banned
Bizzyb said:
Accessibility
Affordability
Innovation/"Newness"
Fun Games (i. Zelda, Mario, Smash, RE4, Bully, Madden, etc etc)

What else is there really for them to want?

you my friend just sound really bitter towards Nintendo.

Actually I'm thankful I have two other choices to buy games I prefer. I prefer Microsoft but next in line would be Sony. Nintendo will keep on being Nintendo,and thats the problem I and others have with the company. Waggle is not the stuff I prefer,neither is their online game plan or choice of games they offer. Its not being bitter when you give them a pass,you spend your money where you feel its warranted is all.

PkunkFury

Angelus said:

perhaps instead you should wonder what types of software people actually want to buy...

360 has an amazing software lineup, but it caters to a very small demographic. Sales like this are really to be expected. It's not hard to imagine someone who isn't interested in shooters passing up a 360 for a Wii

3rd parties should be very very afraid, the more Nintendo throws quality at the new fan base the more they are likely to see through the 3rd party junk hence never caring about them. I feel sorry for them 3rd parties.

oh Nintendo fans only buy Nintendo game, you fucking tools

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Zerachiel said:
Why did Wii Play nearly double its usual monthly rate?
Because an utterly kickass multiplayer game just launched hugely, and people were nabbing extra controllers that they suddenly could use.

Angelus said:

If you can't see any value in the Wii's lineup of games then honestly I'd just quite gaming. Anyone who writes off the likes of Mario Galaxy, Pes Wii, Mario Kart, Twilight Princess, Okami, Smash Bros and House of the Dead without a second thought is not much of a gamer tbh.

Saitou

Banned
Angelus said:
Actually I'm thankful I have two other choices to buy games I prefer. I prefer Microsoft but next in line would be Sony. Nintendo will keep on being Nintendo,and thats the problem I and others have with the company. Waggle is not the stuff I prefer,neither is their online game plan or choice of games they offer. Its not being bitter when you give them a pass,you spend your money where you feel its warranted is all.
Thankfully, the minority you are in is so small, you are already obsolete.

I, for one, welcome our new Standard Definition overlords.

Swifty

fistfulofmetal said:
Trying to match a subjective opinion by citing aggregated score information is pretty silly. You scream that post at the top of your lungs from the tops of the Alps and it wouldn't really matter.
I disagree with this statement. Sure, opinions are subjective but statistics about opinions would be an indicator of what people perceive and will likely be a good indicator of how they'll act based on their perceptions. I mean, if more people think a game is good, more people will buy it. If less people think a game a good, less people will buy it.

_Angelus_

Banned
PkunkFury said:
perhaps instead you should wonder what types of software people actually want to buy...

360 has an amazing software lineup, but it caters to a very small demographic. Sales like this are really to be expected. It's not hard to imagine someone who isn't interested in shooters passing up a 360 for a Wii

Shooters is all the system has?
Oh boy. Either you aren't looking hard or you don't care to look.
I could say the same about Nintendo but I know they have other genres that are out for their fanbase to choose from. But the problem is those same genres are better represented on other consoles. Its using your money for the better library,being abit wiser with your spending overall.

This being bitter accusation is just a cop out for defensive fans on the Wii if you ask me.

Angelus said:

Angelus said:
Amazing Wii numbers, but very clueless buyers though,geewiz.

RUNNING THROUGH THE ANGELUS REVISIONIST TRANSLATOR...PROCESSING...PROCESSING...COMPLETE

Angelus said:
My opinion is no better than anyone elses EXCEPT PEOPLE WHO BUY WII'S WHO ARE CLUELESS and really everyone has opinions and mine isnt anymore right or wrong than anyone elses EXCEPT THE CLUELESS BUYERS WHO ARE ALSO JERKS GOLLY GEEWIZ FRANKY WILLIKER

ERROR...ERROR...ERROR

Novid

Banned
Look, enough with this Wii is not commonplace or whatever. The damn media only see the numbers and could care less about what some of us think. You didn’t think the damn Oscars, Good Morning America and all the rest of this media would care if the Wii didn’t have the numbers they did now?

Now, I do feel for yall. My opinion about the wii/ds would get me banned anyway so I keep my mouth shut on that issue.

As a business man, I have to give my hands up to Ninty. However, as a creative person - imp a little leery. Ninty isn’t the same as it was back in its SNES days - it doesn’t have the same fire as it did back then. I consider the wii a sort of a backlash, somewhat brought to a head from 360's and Ps3's Multi-SKU's, high price points, HD confusion, and content deemed conteverisal (sp) for the majority of the top sellers in both HD consoles. How can you change the perception of two business men from Japan with Old Style Japanese Opera Music playing in the background showing the games for the most part? You can't and even if the ads suck to the eyes of most of you here - myself included; to those outside of video games, partly because of the past days with Ninty and a changing of the culture (that’s domestic culture) from say Spears to Cyrus for an example, Wii seems perfect. It fits the new paradigm for both Japan and the States - away from the story based series of the 90's and into such games like Carnival and Fit and so on. And if it helps nearly 25 year old franchises get a shot in the arm, than so be it in Ninty's eyes.

As for the two games for the PSP, what did you expect? This little thing is...amazing. God Of War and in some ways CC are the true testaments of that format - note that even though EA has mostly left PSP production, The PSP has sold millions. Meaning you can succeed without huge western support hardware wise...

And that’s what Sony is going to have to realize going ahead. EA can only be your friends for so long... before they smell money. I have to love (and some cases loathe) the Japanese devs. They stay behind you for LONGER than most girl friends stay with some dude that cant feed ya kids or keep the house - holding on to some hope that "it will get better"...knowing that it might not and he may have to think smaller in order to keep them with you. EA would have been gone LONG just like they did with the PSP if it was them. But the PSP is lucky that EA is more home based than handeld. How long after EA buys Take Two and they see if nothing much changes after MGS4 (which could happen) that they head to 360 as their major console? Or Wii?

If this gen goes to wii (which its becoming to be) it will be a rebuilding process for Sony and MS. I fell that in some ways if MGS4 doesn’t do as hoped, they might concede and rebuild. Not that it failed, it faced too many promises and it couldn’t keep up with it. But what they did make and already have are large amount of franchises that can be used for their TV, and Movie divisions - and have a large network already and a whole library of games. Nobody will take away what they have done for this business. Its just that where could they GO from THERE? That’s the point.

As for 360...they have so much money and even with that - it’s a shock that they have these many problems. They could have been something, but what they are connected to- MS... They need to split MS from X-Box. That’s it. It needs to become its own thing. In some ways it is but that MS stench that keeps it from becoming much better.

I’m not in the business of sales ages. I had the GEN (MegaDrive for Yurop) even when it was dying - I wanted a Saturn but got a PS1, loved the GBA, and have a PS2 and PSP and plan to get a PS3 once MGS4 is out. Wii doing well is fine for growing the industry, but it makes no difference to me or what I like, and it shouldn’t for the most of you complaining. I have made peace with this fact, how about you guys do the same?

Top Bottom