• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

taku

Have any of you european importers suffered any particular consequences when playing?

Just some weird thoughts pop up in my mind. Like, If I were to import the US version and play it here in Sweden, would there be any problems with, let us say, playing online? Or anything else?

Finally fixed my connection problems. If I dropped while playing any of you guys I'm sorry!

Added myself to the code listing. I guess I may as well post it here, too.

BUNNZ

Let's be budz!

Drensch

Yeah. I love this game. You having router probs?

edit: We're here Johnny.

edit2: My own router so far. I'll probably grab the dongle at some point, and I'll be trying some hotspot stuff tomorrow at Harry potter.

Sunski

I just pre ordered the UK version. Look forward to pounding yo asses.

Out of interest, are any of you using the WiFi dongle or the special hotspots, or are you all using your own routers?

n-off

taku said:
Have any of you european importers suffered any particular consequences when playing?

Just some weird thoughts pop up in my mind. Like, If I were to import the US version and play it here in Sweden, would there be any problems with, let us say, playing online? Or anything else?

I guess you can connect with an american version in sweden, but I wouldn't recommend it since the game comes with a build in setup for the free hotspots. That could be different depending on the region. So if you wanna connect to some swedish hotspots you'll need to manually config it... i guess.

taku

n-off said:
I guess you can connect with an american version in sweden, but I wouldn't recommend it since the game comes with a build in setup for the free hotspots. That could be different depending on the region. So if you wanna connect to some swedish hotspots you'll need to manually config it... i guess.

Ah, maybe it's safer to not import then. Thanks!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Another good Mario Kart review on GameRevolution.

"When the big N gets it right, they are absolutely the best in the business at designing fun, accessible and, dare I say it, magical video games."

I keep telling you, the Nintendo we loved is back :)

Here's my friend's list of people who HAVE NOT added me to theirs: If you see your name here I would appreciate it if you would add me.
Unison, Kaijima, phantomile, brandonnn, Mejilan, TknRobby, Teddman, GD Justin, The E (you know who you are)

If you want me to add you and I didn't see it previously, please reply. I'm looking for more ass to kick.

Edit: may not be able to do some races until after work. I need to iron my clothes right now. FUCK. Why does life get in the way of MK?

Edit 2: Got ya kiryogi and ksinghsf. Look forward to a schooling sesh tonight. Any Japan gaffers who have the game also add me if you will:
evilromero

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Damn job for delaying me...

I was suppose to have this MONDAY and I haven't been able to go to a store yet.

Egad, your all going to be pros before I even get on tonight :(

p.s. - don't everyone fill up their Friend's lists yet, haha

blahness

studio810 said:
Is there a way to check who I've added to the friend list?

on the main menu go to records then friends... or if you are connected to wifi you should see a friends button when you first connect

littlewig

Banned
Woah, something weird is going on with my screen name.

In my DS, the name is entered as Littlewig, and I connected with my My Nintendo username as well, which is also Littlewig. For some reason, my name shows up as Luke whenever I race someone. O_O

Sunski

littlewig said:
Woah, something weird is going on with my screen name.

In my DS, the name is entered as Littlewig, and I connected with my My Nintendo username as well, which is also Littlewig. For some reason, my name shows up as Luke whenever I race someone. O_O

Is your name Luke? Does your My Nintendo account have the First Name set as Luke?

littlewig

Banned
Sunski said:
Is your name Luke? Does your My Nintendo account have the First Name set as Luke?

Yea, my name is Luke, and my first name in my Nintendo profile is Luke. Does it use your real name? I thought it would use your screen name, the one you use on their forums.

Drey1082

This game is great. The only downside is the fact that the DS is the most uncomfortable portable system ever. Other than that, wow, I'm having a lot of fun. This is a system seller if ever there was one.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
littlewig said:
Yea, my name is Luke, and my first name in my Nintendo profile is Luke. Does it use your real name? I thought it would use your screen name, the one you use on their forums.
I believe first it goes to your name in game, then it goes to your name in your DS. is one of those luke?

AirBrian

Scheduled Delivery: Nov 21, 2005
Shipped or Billed on: Nov 15, 2005
Note: Your package is in the UPS system and is on time with a scheduled delivery date of Nov 21, 2005.

Ugh.

-james-

This game is awesome. I still cant get it to connect to my wireless network, but i played alot of single player last night and just couldnt put it down. My only previous Mario Kart experience is with MKDD and this just blows it away. Now if i could get online so you guys could kick my ass....

What channel are you using for your wireless connection? My actiontec is set on 9, but ive read that it may have to be on 1 or 11 for the DS. I'll have to wait until im home from work to give it a try.

littlewig

Banned
borghe said:
I believe first it goes to your name in game, then it goes to your name in your DS. is one of those luke?

Yea, the name in game is Luke, I didn't realize there is a nickname in the game itself. I changed it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
-james- said:
What channel are you using for your wireless connection? My actiontec is set on 9, but ive read that it may have to be on 1 or 11 for the DS. I'll have to wait until im home from work to give it a try.
1, 6 and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels for 802.11b/g. you will want to use one of those. if you use any other channel you will be overlapping with anyone using any of the two other channels in your area. So if you use channel 2 you will potentially have interference with anyone on channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 instead of just being on channel 1 and only having interference with other people on 1.

My router is channel 6 and I have no problems.

edit - and yes, conversely that means anyone on channels 2, 3, 4, and 5 are pooping in all of the channel 1 and 6 routers in the area simultaneously. :\

-james-

borghe said:
1, 6 and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels for 802.11b/g. you will want to use one of those. if you use any other channel you will be overlapping with anyone using any of the two other channels in your area. So if you use channel 2 you will potentially have interference with anyone on channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 instead of just being on channel 1 and only having interference with other people on 1.

My router is channel 6 and I have no problems.

Cool, thanks for the info. i'll change it tonight and give it a try. Ive read reports that you need to drop the speed (TX) to 1-2 to get it to connect also.

jman2050

A shot in the dark maybe, but does anyone know if it's possible for me to use the wireless card in my laptop as a bridge for my wired connection? I want to test to see if the DS will recognize my laptop if it's configured as an access point. Thing is, I have little idea on how to do that -_-

Swordian

Is the network really slow or is it because I'm using a router with "compatability issues"? I seem to connect to the network just fine, but I can hardly connect to anyone. Friends doesn't work I guess because I haven't been added to other people's lists yet, but even the other 3 settings just look and look and almost never find anyone. I did manage to link up with someone under rivals for some 2-player action, but he got disconnected or dropped after I won the first two races.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I just saw the website, Demi is awesome, GAF VIP.

Hopefully today I have a lot less connection problems. Luckily I put down a lot of you guys so hopefully I'll get to play against some of my GAF bretheren.

TknRobby

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
littlewig said:
Hey demi, what is your code?

Mine is

Littlewig
He doesn't have it yet, he's waiting for the penisdongle to come in the mail. He'll probably receive shortly within the week.

What now, is it an option to put the friendcode into your decal or don't you get to see it long enough between/ after the races (in full 32x32)? In non-friendmode that is of course.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
:Motorbass said:
What now, is it an option to put the friendcode into your decal or don't you get to see it long enough between/ after the races (in full 32x32)?
You can try but it's not worth it, waaaaay too small to read it.

So are we all using the GAF logo in our emblems or was that idea shot out the window?

Top Bottom