• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

i just made an observation, lets see if any one else has noticed it

So i race with luigi who has a max item stat. However, once 2 people drop and its just 1v1, the item random gods treat the person in last like they are still in second place out of four. In other words, you get better items being last place in a 4 man race than you do being last in 2 man race. This can be somewhat discouraging when first place is ahead by 10 seconds and you get nothing but ghosts and fake item boxes = /

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Matlock said:
That's not a bug. :lol

If you get hit on the loop, it reads as you being off the track on any cc.
and it makes sense, because if your speed drops below critical speed on a loop, you fall off. </physics>

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Suburban Cowboy said:

So i race with luigi who has a max item stat. However, once 2 people drop and its just 1v1, the item random gods treat the person in last like they are still in second place out of four. In other words, you get better items being last place in a 4 man race than you do being last in 2 man race. This can be somewhat discouraging when first place is ahead by 10 seconds and you get nothing but ghosts and fake item boxes = /

That stinks. Do people really drop that bad? I know I'm going to be awful not being a devotee of the series, but it bugs me when people drop out of multiplayer games just because they're losing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
nice matches Akia gonna play against some other people that was very classy of you waiting for me at Delfino Square. It was what probably cost you the win very classy.

Error

sp0rsk said:
every single time i play everyone drops except for one person.
don't play reginal and worldwide, the people drop like crazy

add me my FC is
Error2k4

zink120

If I want to play vs friend on wifi, each friend need my number and I need their number, rigth?

If so, some one want to add me :
Here my code :

Hi anyone here can tell me if Nintendo WiFI Usb Connector works with Windows 2000? I dont have XP and I dont wanna upgrade only for NWF Connector (sold as XP compatible only)! :lol

Thank you. :)

Akia

bastard666 said:
Hi anyone here can tell me if Nintendo WiFI Usb Connector works with Windows 2000? I dont have XP and I dont wanna upgrade only for NWF Connector (sold as XP compatible only)! :lol

Thank you. :)

nope xp only

Akia

Chibbi Brady (earl) that was wrong. Hitting me with the star while i was in the air in sky garden :lol good times

Sorry man..... Baby Park was a bit cagey, you clinging onto your red shell, my mushrooms. :)

Broadband stalled there for a bit. Back connecting now.

What happened there, Error? Would've been a tie thanks to my red shell.

LoL, our matches have reached a new low. Going backwards? hahaha :lol

Very fun though.

Error

civilstrife said:
What happened there, Error? Would've been a tie thanks to my red shell.

LoL, our matches have reached a new low. Going backwards? hahaha :lol

Very fun though.
:lol this why I said blue shells totally destroys the balance of this game that item should not appear in the next Mario Kart... that's fucking bullshit of an item.

or at least it shouldn't appear in a two player match.

mrkgoo

Suburban Cowboy said:

Granted, I haven't played as much as you guys, but my observation is thus:

The 'Item' stat has nothing to do with randomisation, and everything to do with the width of your vehicle (and therefore ease in picking up items).

I really like the game engine on this Kart cart. It really does take all teh best things of the previous games (all four) and mashes them into one Godly package. What we need, though, is a thread where we can discuss the game, free of friend codes, and the banter from just-played online matches. There's so much to discuss about this game, yet this thread is a pain to go through to find this stuff.

Interesting things that need to be discussed:
Character Kart choices, and people's favourites.
Racing engine.
Powerups, including duration, the blue shell, and red shell behaviour.
DS features (touch screen, the map screen).
Stats for each character and what they mean.
Graphics and sound.
General opinions!

suikodan

It sometime arrive that when drafting an opponent and barely touching him that our racer gets a super drafting. What's the exact procedure to do that?

You've got to stay directly behind him for a good 4-5 seconds. That boost is pretty powerful. Its great for some last minute race to the finish line tactics.

Akia

mrkgoo said:

The 'Item' stat has nothing to do with randomisation, and everything to do with the width of your vehicle (and therefore ease in picking up items).

I really like the game engine on this Kart cart. It really does take all teh best things of the previous games (all four) and mashes them into one Godly package. What we need, though, is a thread where we can discuss the game, free of friend codes, and the banter from just-played online matches. There's so much to discuss about this game, yet this thread is a pain to go through to find this stuff.

Racing engine.
Graphics and sound.
General opinions!

i wish we had a chat room so we could discuss our online matches. then we could've left this thread to discuss other things. but since we don't you should start another thread.

Error

two player matches are bullshit because of this. instead of being a war of skills and who knows the shortcuts the game becomes a war of items and luck, like for example take my matches against civil. I let him take first place so I can get a good item and he does the same, certainly no my ideal battle but it had to be done in order to win. Nintendo should've included an option like in Smash Bros. to turn certain items off. because the blue shell totally destroy 1on1 matches.

edit: :lol I read what suburban cowboy posted, and it contradicts my point. but anyway, civil here am witness. :)

civilstrife said:
You've got to stay directly behind him for a good 4-5 seconds. That boost is pretty powerful. Its great for some last minute race to the finish line tactics.

Yeah, it's probably more like 3 seconds, but these matches are so intense it feels like eons.

Drensch

I have a feeling a player I raced with last night will have his name and avatar changed. He was"The Shit" and his avatar was a naked woman with crippingly large tits.

mrkgoo said:

Racing engine.
Graphics and sound.
General opinions!

Really, I think the game rocks. I'm really trying to keep my Nintendo bias out of this, but I think that it doesn't really matter if the online play isn't exactly Halo 2. If the system in place now holds even after the initial wave of lots of people playing, then it'll have been a success. The question is, once the initial interest dies down, will it be easy to find opponents? I mean, there's always forums and such. I'm sure in a year or two, I can send a PM over to my buddy Error2k4 asking for a quick throwdown and away we go.

I find its the simpler, easier to pick up online games that become the most endearing. The tempation to just get in an online GP race before bed is just too great. As far as I'm concerned, we're treading on unchartered territory. An online game infused with Nintendo's classic polish and playability.

As fun as the online gameplay is, I really wish we could have a go at some of the crazier track designs. That rotating tube in the new Bowser castle is NUTS. Don't even get me started on Tick Tock clock. Also, I would have adored to get some online battle mode action.

I'm probably not the right person to be talking about the intricacies of the actual racing though. Powersliding feels nice after getting used to it.

The graphics vary. I mean, While you're racing, none of it matters, but I suppose it'd be nice to get some clearer textures. There are times, however, in the middle of a race that I actually look for the usual DS graphical problems, like the lack of filtering and I simply can't find them. Maybe its the speed, the colors, I don't know.

Overall, its Mario Kart through and through. They've covered all angles. The battles are great, the tracks are diverse and most of all, its just fun.

Akia

I picked up the phone while I searching for someone to play against and when I came back I was disconnected because I didn't input anything for 30 seconds. Sorry to whoever that was.

Error2k4 said:
two player matches are bullshit because of this. instead of being a war of skills and who knows the shortcuts the game becomes a war of items and luck, like for example take my matches against civil. I let him take first place so I can get a good item and he does the same, certainly no my ideal battle but it had to be done in order to win. Nintendo should've included an option like in Smash Bros. to turn certain items off. because the blue shell totally destroy 1on1 matches.

edit: :lol I read what suburban cowboy posted, and it contradicts my point. but anyway, civil here am witness. :)

I can definately attest to that.

For crying out loud, you went backwards to the last cluster of item boxes to get your blue shell. :lol

And Still won.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
from reading this thread while sitting here waiting for the mariokart release and 40buck dongle on the 25th ( fuck it ) I've noticed a lot of people saying "OMG TIE!" is it really easy to tie with someone now? Thats almost never happened to me in any other mariokart.

Error

Racing engine.
Graphics and sound.
General opinions!
I gonna start by saying the game is awesome. and I'll start like this because I have some serious complaints and it may lead people to believe I hate the game which I don't.

I gonna start with the blue shell as I have already said, two player matches are damn near impossible to be fought the "correct" way by correct I mean, a war of skills and to see who really is the best at powersliding and taking tight corners. becuase of the blue shell two player matches become a war of items, suddenly I don't want to be first place because I know somewhere down the line I'm gonna get screwed by a blue shell so I let the opponent take first place instead, if the opponents sees through my strategy he'll do the same, meaning the competitive aspect of the game is totally destroyed and it becomes a cheap war of who get the best item most of my matches against civil come down to this. solution for this, for the next Mario Kart Nintendo should include a switch on/off options for items like in SSBM.

also some of the best tracks in the game are not online a big "WTF" at that. airforce fortress(dunno if that's the correct name) and Waluigi Pinball are awesome tracks yet they don't appear for online play, which is total bullshit because Waluigi Pinball doesn't many things going on in the track apart from falling pinballs.

Players dropping out, oh boy this is the most stupid thing the game has. I'm playing a four player matches I won the first two races suddenly in the third race two people drop out by the fourth if the other player doesn't have a chance to win he drops out too which is very fucking annoying. this the reason why I don't play worldwide, regional and rivals matches people are such fucking pussies. oh and check this out if everyone drops out and you were winning you don't get the win which is total fucking bullshit.

[/rant]

other than that game is awesome and I'm having a blast.

Spencerr

Banned
catfish said:
from reading this thread while sitting here waiting for the mariokart release and 40buck dongle on the 25th ( fuck it ) I've noticed a lot of people saying "OMG TIE!" is it really easy to tie with someone now? Thats almost never happened to me in any other mariokart.

4 games series, 2 wins each. Not finish at the last time.

dream

I have a feeling a player I raced with last night will have his name and avatar changed. He was"The Shit" and his avatar was a naked woman with crippingly large tits.

I just ran into a "FucknFuckr" with a vagina avatar. :(

littlewig

Banned
I like the part where Maynerd used the shortcut and went flying off the pier. :lol

Good racing, but I hate Rainbow road, worst track in the game.

dream said:
I just ran into a "FucknFuckr" with a vagina avatar. :(
mariokart3fp.gif

maynerd

Banned
littlewig said:
I like the part where Maynerd used the shortcut and went flying off the pier. :lol

Good racing, but I hate Rainbow road, worst track in the game.

NOT funny! :)

Well it still ended up in a tie. I'll take that. How did my new emblem look?

-james-

anyone up for a game?

jamesgf

finally broke down and bought a cheap dlink router, worth every penny to get this game online!

Top Bottom