• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

maynerd said:
Yup.

What I did was save the pattern to a JPG then brought it into a paint and then blew it up to make it easier. Took me about 15-20 minutes to make mine.

yar your eyeball looks cool now :p

you did exactly what i did to mine, explode in paint ftw

Polari

Hey, erm, if I buy the US version of Mario Kart as opposed to the Australian version, it won't make shit difference when it comes to online play or anything will it?

Thanks.

PkunkFury

Anyone have any insight on the meanings behind the kart stats? I understand speed is the top speed your kart can hit and acceleration is the rate at which you achieve that speed. Playing with a low and high acceleration kart is like night and day, and I haven't been able to notice the difference between low speed karts and high speed karts on turns so much, but I definitely catch people on straight aways with Bowser.

Weight seems to allow you to knock characters out of the way, but it also causes your speed to drop faster when driving off road (this sucks in choco island and Luigi's Mansion). Does it effect anything else? When you use a kart with different characters, it seems all stats stay the same except for weight, which changes based on the size of the character. Do any other stats change for some karts? This means weight can be variable for any play style. Do you like playing with the heavier or lighter characters? I think heavier would be better for anyone who knows how to stay on the track, but I see mostly Mario Luigi and Yoshi whenever I play online, so I guess going middle of the road is the best.

How about those other stats? What is drift? I guess it has something to do with power sliding, is it the size of the boost you get from the slide? What about handling? Is that how sharp your character can turn? does it effect power slides?

Also, has anyone noticed any difference between low and high item karts? It seems in every character's 3 kart set they have a kart with max stats and min item, a kart with min stats and max item, and one kart in between on both. Do you pick the karts on the high item end or the low item end? Do you see it effecting your races?

Akia

gg maynerd i shouldn't have chosen the toad car. sorry for picking cheap cheap twice. I was trying to get lower but time ran out. rematch?

maynerd

Banned
PkunkFury said:
Anyone have any insight on the meanings behind the kart stats? I understand speed is the top speed your kart can hit and acceleration is the rate at which you achieve that speed. Playing with a low and high acceleration kart is like night and day, and I haven't been able to notice the difference between low speed karts and high speed karts on turns so much, but I definitely catch people on straight aways with Bowser.

Weight seems to allow you to knock characters out of the way, but it also causes your speed to drop faster when driving off road (this sucks in choco island and Luigi's Mansion). Does it effect anything else? When you use a kart with different characters, it seems all stats stay the same except for weight, which changes based on the size of the character. Do any other stats change for some karts? This means weight can be variable for any play style. Do you like playing with the heavier or lighter characters? I think heavier would be better for anyone who knows how to stay on the track, but I see mostly Mario Luigi and Yoshi whenever I play online, so I guess going middle of the road is the best.

How about those other stats? What is drift? I guess it has something to do with power sliding, is it the size of the boost you get from the slide? What about handling? Is that how sharp your character can turn? does it effect power slides?

Also, has anyone noticed any difference between low and high item karts? It seems in every character's 3 kart set they have a kart with max stats and min item, a kart with min stats and max item, and one kart in between on both. Do you pick the karts on the high item end or the low item end? Do you see it effecting your races?

Just play the game. :)

PkunkFury

maynerd said:
Just play the game. :)

eh, just curious. I have been playing for a couple of days, but I don't have online at home so I need something to do while the rest of you are having fun :( So I figured I'd find my "best" kart. I was using Bowser on the unicycle but I see so many Luigis and Yoshis online I figured their must be a reason they were being picked so often, and decided it was their stats. But some of the stats don't make sense to me. I guess it could just be the popularity of the characters. Luigi and Yoshi are popular Mario characters maybe?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
PezRadar said:
Good race civil.. :p

Fkin blue shells are soo lame.. specially when ur purposely braking to get them :p
damn straight... they totally fuck up 1on1 matches.

Error

yup and searching.

I want a four player match though... tired of the 1on1 matches.

maynerd

Banned
Error2k4 said:
yup and searching.

I want a four player match though... tired of the 1on1 matches.

If we always search worldwide and since we have each others codes shouldn't it pair us up with at least one person here at GAF along with other people?

Error

so who's up for a 4 player match?

If we always search worldwide and since we have each others codes shouldn't it pair us up with at least one person here at GAF along with other people?
yeah but what guaranteed I have that those people aren't going to drop out? that's why I prefer to race against gaffers.

Error

alright I'm gonna lock Akia and Maynard do the same... we need one more oh and when we finally get to a 4 player match don't drop out after the first race please.

nice races ;p

Damn red shell on that first track got me at the end..

Bomb f'd me for good on yoshi falls.. :p

Oh well tie for first :eek:

akia: tie me on a 1v1? :p

Kai

Searching again.... maybe we can get a 4 way

Akia whooped my butt on the second race.... i still was half a track behind :lol ....

Ya know, I've never been able to find a rival with my record of 9/24 or whatever it is now. :lol

Well played guys. I'll add those that added me when I get my cart back.

So am I the only one that feels like the top speeds of the heavier characters aren't that much better than the lighter ones? I must be doing something wrong...

Error

Shinoobi said:
Ya know, I've never been able to find a rival with my record of 9/24 or whatever it is now. :lol

Well played guys. I'll add those that added me when I get my cart back.

So am I the only one that feels like the top speeds of the heavier characters aren't that much better than the lighter ones? I must be doing something wrong...
that's probably because the light characters have better acceleration which in this game along with handling are the most important stats.

I abuse powerslide like a bitch, so I use light characters.

kiryogi

Banned
Urgh, I think I need to unlock more carts for Peach. Mad drifting alone doesn't do the trick D: Yoshis always totally end up getting a good lead on her if they can slow me down even once XD

Error2k4 said:
that's probably because the light characters have better acceleration which in this game along with handling are the most important stats.

I abuse powerslide like a bitch, so I use light characters.

i disagree if a large char can get a good powerslide off theyll hit there max top speed and have a stronger boost then you, it then balances most of it out..

At the same time itll keep em at there top speed since the powerslide just fades from past max to regular max and there regular max is higher then lets say luigi or yoshi

make sense :p??

kiryogi

Banned
Bobby, bunz, once again thanks for the match! gotta be running now. been leaving my friend in the living room with karaoke rev party for awhile now XD

DrGAKMAN

Banned

I dunno how this friend code stuff works yet, but I'm jumping on here in a minute. I randomly got a WiFi router on clearance for $20 and it worked...it's way easier than I EVER imagagined it would be...here I was worried that it wouldn't work, but BAM I'm on right now!

Aurora

Again fuck you NoE. Why did you delay this game when you have it all ready in the warehouses?

I wanna play with you all :(((

Top Bottom