• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Strikers Charged League: North America Edition

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Updated!

Ok boys we're honing in on 2 days until the preseason! I will have the schedule made up Friday! Lets get ready to rumble! (or mole dig, goalie jump and mega strike!)

vumpler

Meta-Knight said:
So what's happening exactly in the preseason? Cause I'm not gonna be there on friday/saturday.
I will make a schedule of ~3 games for you to play. They are NOT mandatory that you play any games however it is highly recommended to participate as much as possible. This is an amazing opportunity to see the pace of the league, and how communication with your opponents will work. Its a great time to practice setting up your games :)

The official league will start 5 days AFTER the start of the preseason. So the 15th will be the official kick off to our league :D

Further details will come as we get closer.

I'm not on AIM a lot lately. Best to reach me by PM or you can even email me. I'll PM my email to you.

Not sure how scheduling works out but Saturday nights are bad for me in August.

vumpler

Preseason schedule will be posted some time before 11pm CST tomorrow. We'll give as long as possible for a few more to sneak in the preseason :)

vumpler

Boy's the preseason is among us!

The schedule is made and is listed below. However there are a few things I want to hear some discussion about after I post the schedule. First off I want to remind everyone that the preseason is not mandatory HOWEVER it will be your first representation to other Strikers league members. This is an amazing opportunity to get used to communicating with your fellow league members and get used to how things work. The preseason schedule consists of 3 games. You get one home game a piece. Remember you can only pick stages without added effects. This is to keep it as much strategy based as possible. So any of the classic stages will work.

Game 3 is against someone on the other side of the country. This will work as a great oportunity to post how your connection quality is with someone of that distance. If everything goes well it will give us more options as far as directions to go with the league. The key thing is, play you games! Lets get everyone an entire week to get these games in. I want to see as much action as possible to prove that you're in for the duration :D The games only take 10 minutes at the max so it's not like this a huge time commitment.

Also Keep in mind that the WINNER and the winner only posts the scores in this topic as listed in the original post above.

Now I want your input. How should score be posted? I do have access to a webserver so if need be I can build us a website to keep track of all the scores and I can keep a score board there. HOWEVER it would require almost full participation for me to go to these lengths. I would love to run a website for our league but if people aren't going to take it serious then it's not worth my time or yours.

So the preseason should be a huge determinant for what kind of group we've gotten together.

For now I will just add to the bottom of the member list in the original post the rankings and each persons total points etc.

Without further ado here is your preseason schedule!

--------------------------------------------

Game 1

East
deduce @ azrael p.o.s.
NMan @david
Mrplow1817 @ tim1138
Mii @ Thespis721
Milabrega @ Magicked
Dechaios @ Meta Knight
GCQuinton @ Akinola

West
BradVanDam @ widgetraf
Voodoojohn @ phfresno
DeceitDecide @ radiuhm
Slacker @ Miguel
SpeedRazor @ Avatar 299
Jackson @ CrookedRain

Game 2

East
Azrael p.o.s. @ NMan
david @ Mrplow1817
tim1138 @ Mii
Thespis 721 @ Milabrega
Magicked @ Dechaios
Meta Knight @ GCQuinton
Akinola @ deduce

West
widgettraf @ Voodoojohn
phfresno @ DeceitDecide
radiuhm @ slacker
Miguel @ SpeedRazor
CrookedRain @BradVanDam

Game 3

EAST VS. WEST
widgettraf @ deduce
phfresno @ NMan
radiuhm @ Mrplow1817
Miguel @ Mii
CrookedRain @ Dechaios
BradVanDam @ GCQuinton
Voodoojohn @ Azrael p.o.s
DeceitDecide @ tim1138
Slacker @ Thespis721
SpeedRazor @ Magicked
Jackson @ Meta Knight
Akinola @ null (bye week)

Magicked

I think a website would be pretty cool. It's totally up to you though, because I'm sure it would be a decent amount of work to get it running smoothly.

Should we post our pre-season scores here as practice?

I think a website WOULD be cool. However, maybe when it is only 24 members, it should be held off. Or maybe after this tourney ends, there may be some money involved to make it worth while. I dunno.

I'M perfectly happy posting scores on the forum (assuming a win). But beggers can't be choosers.

Magicked

Oh, can we officially ban Crystal Canyon from the maps list? I know we've really said classic maps only, but I just hate that field soooooo much! =P

vumpler

Magicked said:
Should we post our pre-season scores here as practice?
Yes fully post your scores here. I will update all preseason score submissions and your ranking at least every 48 hours :)

Milabrega

Magicked said:
Oh, can we officially ban Crystal Canyon from the maps list? I know we've really said classic maps only, but I just hate that field soooooo much! =P

The tournament excludes all levels with hazards so its already out. On that note: I love Crystal Canyon but absolutely despise Thunder Island.

vumpler

CrookedRain said:
What difficulty are we supposed to be playing on?
I'm glad you asked because I thought I listed it but apparently I forgot.

I personally suggest 5 because it keeps all the players in the game instead of setting your team up for some potential wide open shots. However lets take the preseason and use it to our advantage with the unset level for now. Post your thoughts after trying a few and we'll nail down the level by the time of the regular season :)

Also if you see some of the people signed up that are online, remind them the preseason has started!

I know this may sound silly, but can we post all the legitimate stadiums to play in. There is such a back and forth on Crystal Canyon and so on. What stages can we play?

By the way, I love Thunder Island even though I know we can't play it. Just needed to say that.:D

Mii

Banned
Mii 2 (8) - Miguel 0 (2)

Match Recap: Preseason Match 3 - Miguel @ Mii
Arena: Classic: Crater Field
Game 1: Mii 4 - Miguel 2
Game 2: Mii 4 - Miguel 0

Thankfully this match I'm about to play against DeceitDecide
oh shit oh shit oh shit 139-11
doesn't go on record.

EDIT:
Thespis721 said:
I know this may sound silly, but can we post all the legitimate stadiums to play in. There is such a back and forth on Crystal Canyon and so on. What stages can we play?

My guess is that the legitimate stadiums are:

The Vice
The Classroom
Classic: Battle Dome
Classic: Bowser Stadium
Classic: Crater Field
Classic: Konga Coliseum
Classic: The Palace
Classic: Pipeline Central
Classic: The Underground

Questionable ones are:
The Dump (Doesn't seem that special or unusual...)
Galactic Stadium (I don't remember the last time I played here..)

tim1138

Anyone in the East who added me before last night, you'll need to update it, my Frienc Code has changed, it is reflected in the main post.

Is this a three week pre-season to or are we trying to get all three games here done in the next week?

I was under the impression of the former.

vumpler

Thespis721 said:
Is this a three week pre-season to or are we trying to get all three games here done in the next week?

I was under the impression of the former.

You have one week to get in 3 games :)

If we made it 1 week for every game that would make the regular season in the league over 3 months long... Some people will get in 5-10 games in a week and other will only want (or have time to) get in 2-3. 30 minutes a week is not a very large time commitment and is well attainable by most people everyone if they schedule their games right.

The plan as of now is to have everyone play everyone in their division once, and depending on how our cross country connections turn out to be we may introduce 4-5 East vs. West games.

So basically the way it will work out if there are 14 people in your division then you will need to play 13 games. We will in the end set it up 1 of 2 ways depending on how this system works.

The first way (and my personal favorite) is we have 2-3 games per week to play. So I would post those 2-3 games every week and then we would tally the scores.

However the way the other league does it they say: you have 13 games to play now you have 1 month to get them all in, GO!

Apparently the latter has become quite popular. I would rather do the weekly set of games.

The key thing is scheduling your games for efficiency if you don’t have much time per week to play. SO say you only have 45 minutes a week to play, schedule all your games to get in, in that 45 or so minutes.

Someone like myself can make time pretty much any night after 4pm CST because I’m a fulltime graduate school student. So I take 33 hours a semester but all I do is study when I get out of school so I can take a break at anytime :)

The schedule will never require more than 2-3 games a week. I would rather have it setup where its 2.5 games per week average. So for example if there are 13 games to be played we would have 5 weeks to get them all in. However it is easy for some people to lose sight of the goal if its such an open shedule. So I really am pushing for it to be where I announce on a Friday your upcoming 2-3 games and then you have until the following sunday to get them in. So thats 10 days to get in 2-3 games. But every friday I would post your upcoming games so incase you couldn't get them in on time you have some leway.

Mii

Banned
Mii 2 (10) - Thespis721 0 (3)

Match Recap: Preseason Match 1 - Mii @ Thespis721
Arena: The Classroom
Game 1: 4 - 3 Mii (OT)
Game 2: 6 - 0 Mii

Notes: Great 4 star connection for this coast-to-coast match (remember that I'm west coast but eastern conference until the 25th). If all connections hold up like this, I'd really like to see more inter-conference play.

Slacker

Awesome series with Thespis721 - two sudden death games. :D

Preseason match 3: Slacker 2 (10) @ Thespis721 1 (8)

Game 1: He took an early 2-0 lead but I managed to scrape back and win it in sudden death.

Game 2: I was up 4-3 as time ticked down, and he tied it up at 2:59. :lol I seriously think it was closer to 2:59.99. :p He punched in a Hammer Bros skillshot to win it.

Game 3: I pulled off an early megastrike for 2 goals, and that was enough to go on to win it 3-1 (would have been another sudden death otherwise).

radiuhm

Great series against Slacker all games were close, except the first one :lol

Preseason match 2: radiuhm 2 (5) slacker 1 (5)

Game 1: He just outplayed me and had some great set ups, scored 2 shots before the 1 min mark, and I wasn't ready for the way he played.

Game 2: I came out and scored 2 goals quick, mid way through he scored two back to back shots. Goes to sudden death and I manage to get a goal off.

Game 3: I picked up my defense, and just played a quick paced game on both ends, scored 1 early goal, he came back and scored 1 seconds later. I score a goal in the last seconds of the game, and just hold the ball till time runs out.

Sorry for missing the first preseason game =/ I haven't been on the forums lately.

Mii

Banned
radiuhm said:
Sorry for missing the first preseason game =/ I haven't been on the forums lately.

Miss it? You can't still play it?

Theres no required order or days to play these matches if that is your concern, as long as it is this week. Even then, these aren't required.

goo1boy

Can I still sneak in?! :D

GAF Nickname: goo1boy
Mii Name in the game: goo!boy
Mii Friend Code: 055941 983439
AIM Screen name: goo1boy

Edit: West Coast

Mii

Banned
Mii 2 (11) - Tim1138 0 (1)

Match Recap: Preseason Match 2 - Tim1138 @ Mii
Arena: Classic: The Underground
Game 1: 7 - 0 Mii
Game 2: 4 - 1 Mii (OT)

Note: Another excellent 4 star connection for this coast-to-coast match.

Magicked

tim1138 said:
Man, I'm so bad at this online, I'll probably be out of the league in a hurry. At least its fun! :D

At least you'll get to play everyone in your division. That way you get quite a few matches in before you get removed.

vumpler

Guys lets try to contact everyone and remind them the preseason has started :D

tim1138

Magicked said:
At least you'll get to play everyone in your division. That way you get quite a few matches in before you get removed.

Thats true, although I'm really not too concerned about my over all record, just looking forward to a bunch of quality matches.

Tim, you and I will probably have a great match. As I seem to stink against everyone too. Not looking too likely I'll make it into the playoffs. Maybe the second season with enough practice.

GCQuinton

Akinola 2 (9) - GCQuinton 0 (0)

Match Recap: Preseason Match 1 - GCQuinton @ Akinola

Game 1: 4 - 0 Akinola
Game 2: 5 - 0 Akinola

Connection: 4 Stars

Nester

I'm available for the next few hours if Miguel, Magicked or Avatar 299 want to get some matches in. I'll be on AIM or you can try to PM me but I might not see it right away.

Nester

SpeedRazor 2 (4) - Magicked 0 (1)

Match Recap: Preseason Match 3 - SpeedRazor @ Magicked
Arena: Classic: Crater Field

Game 1: 1-0 SpeedRazor
Game 2: 3-1 SpeedRazor

Connection: 4 stars

Great connection, no lag for this East Vs West Matchup.

Magicked

We had a rockin' game. Unfortunately, I couldn't get anything going offensively.

There was absolutely no lag the whole game though, which is very positive for east/west matches. I also played CrookedRain in a friendly, who is on the west. We didn't have any lag either.

Meta-Knight 2 (6) - Dechaios 0 (3)

Match Recap: Preseason Match 1 - Dechaios @ Meta-Knight

Game 1: 2 - 1 Meta-Knight
Game 2: 4 - 2 Meta-Knight

Magicked

Magicked 2 (9) - Dechaios 0 (5)

Match Recap: Preseason Match 2 - Magicked @ Dechaios
Arena: The Classroom

Game 1: 5-2 Magicked
Game 2: 4-3 Magicked

Would someone like to play me, say, now? I'm all amped up because I just played one of them.. all-Boo users online. Yeah... I made him disconnect. So, yeah. Anyone up for some games?

vumpler

DeceitDecide said:
Would someone like to play me, say, now? I'm all amped up because I just played one of them.. all-Boo users online. Yeah... I made him disconnect. So, yeah. Anyone up for some games?
:lol :lol

vumpler said:
:lol :lol

And what's so funny, I'd like to know? :D

Seriously, it was my first time dealing with that particular strategy. He could've given me a hard time with it too, but his game was so 1-dimensional. Anytime you put yourself in a position where you only have one way to score, you're giving yourself a huge disadvantage.

widgetraf

Anyone want to go for a few games this evening? Haven't had the chance to get into some preseason action, so just send me a PM if anyone's interested.

I'll probably be on around 8-9pm PDT.

DeceitDecide said:
And what's so funny, I'd like to know? :D

Seriously, it was my first time dealing with that particular strategy. He could've given me a hard time with it too, but his game was so 1-dimensional. Anytime you put yourself in a position where you only have one way to score, you're giving yourself a huge disadvantage.

It's the same thing with the hammer-spammers. When you know how to counter them, they become defenseless. Relying on only one strategy will not get you far in Strikers.

Milabrega

I can play now if anyone wants to play our preseason match ( magicked, Thespis 721 , avatar 299 ) just post here and i'll sign on. Should be around for an hour or two at the least.

Akinola

If anyone fancies a game for either practice or anything, I'll be online for a bit. Send me a PM or AIM: GrandMasterAk313.

Top Bottom