• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 10 League: Zep's a No Show....again

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
My only concern with injuries is how it will affect an already shortened league. A person on the 15 day DL could be extremely costly. Now, if we were playing multiple seasons, then I could see where injuries are not that big a deal. But, I would rather play against people and beat them fair and square and not because they have lost A-Rod to back spasms. Lastly, given that this league has been a flakers delight in the past, I fear that a team owner that suffers a major loss at a key position may not feel compelled to play. My 2 cents.

Rorschach

Eh. Shit happens. That's what depth is for and that's what prospects are for. You have a little bit of an obsession with this "fair and square" business. :p

Oh well, whatever is decided isn't a deal breaker for me, that's just my preference.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Rorschach said:
Eh. Shit happens. That's what depth is for and that's what prospects are for. You have a little bit of an obsession with this "fair and square" business. :p

Oh well, whatever is decided isn't a deal breaker for me, that's just my preference.
I want everything to be PERFECT. :p

turnbuckle

I think we should keep injuries, just adjust the slider a bit to limit the risk of it happening. Injuries to star players are oftentimes the only real chance some of the weaker teams have of putting together an upset in the standings. The Royals are like the Yankees with 7/9 of their regulars and 3/5 their starters on the 162 Day DL.

Fifty

Are we playing with pitch cursor on fade, or off? I'd like to know what I should be practicing with offline.

i'll be surprised if i win double digit games this season. i've only won like 2 out of 10 games against the CPU in my single player franchise...... with contact turned all the way up for me :lol

turnbuckle

I always play fade. I guess I didn't even realize it was optional in the higher difficulty rankings. I'm cool with either.

btw, are there any anti-cheesing rules in place? can you even cheese in this game? i only ask because sometimes i like to do the suicide squeeze but some people might consider it to be cheap

LJ11

eznark said:

It's not that bad, it goes away quick, not really a crutch.

As for cheese, just don't steal if you're up big, don't hit batters on purpose, really can't think of much else.

Just be careful with men on base, hold on to the ball longer just in case your opponent is stealing early, manage the run game. I think people can mistake running/stealing for cheese if you don't manage that aspect of the game properly.

Fifty

I think it was MVP Baseball 2004 or 5 that had zack greinke with a 50 MPH curve ball..that was the closest to cheese in a baseball game that I've ever seen.

Just got home, canceling BS league tomorrow.

To all this injury talk, I could upload a set with injuries set to 4 but that's it. I like FP Off because it prevents the QPing that tends to go on online. Early Stealing that isn't part of a hit-and-run I feel is cheating, although the devs have done a decent job of patching that glitch.

LJ11

Frank, you need to speak english, the shorthand is over my head.

As a general rule, play sim baseball. I better not see 10 steals in a game, don't hit and run every time you get someone on base.

Edit: I thought you could mitigate stealing early by holding on to the ball, the runner couldn't get back like he did last year. Frank hit me on AIM either tonight or tomorrow if you have some time.

The Frankman said:
Just got home, canceling BS league tomorrow.

To all this injury talk, I could upload a set with injuries set to 4 but that's it. I like FP Off because it prevents the QPing that tends to go on online. Early Stealing that isn't part of a hit-and-run I feel is cheating, although the devs have done a decent job of patching that glitch.

What? Early stealing and hit and runs don't really go together...

Fifty

It's not worth making everyone tap X and endure skipping cutscene after cutscene just because some people (or person) thinks that some online people pitch too fast (assuming that QP'ing means quick pitching or playing). It'd be a serious mistake not to turn quick play on.

pistolpete2940 said:
What? Early stealing and hit and runs don't really go together...
Well no one online does the textbook "hit-and-run". They send the runner on first movement and the batter swings.
LJ11 said:
Fast play will definitely be on.
Well I better not see some of the immediate pitch shit I see online. It's a baseball game, not friggin' MLB Arcade where you finish in 10 minutes... You throw a pitch; can a brother have 2 seconds to analyze said pitch w/o dude winding up?

eznark

Banned
LJ11 said:
It's not that bad, it goes away quick, not really a crutch.

As for cheese, just don't steal if you're up big, don't hit batters on purpose, really can't think of much else.

Just be careful with men on base, hold on to the ball longer just in case your opponent is stealing early, manage the run game. I think people can mistake running/stealing for cheese if you don't manage that aspect of the game properly.
I just don't understand having it on, I guess. Just means I have to pretend like I am going to throw at your head every pitch until it fades away.

As a general rule, play sim baseball. I better not see 10 steals in a game, don't hit and run every time you get someone on base.

So roughly 20 steals in a game is the max! But keep it to 8 per inning.

JambiBum

If someone is throwing pitches a little too quickly there is a way you can slow them down as the batter. If you do one of your warm up swings it won't allow the pitcher to throw until you are finished. Turnbuckle and I had a pretty good pace in our games yesterday. He stole on me a few times but that wasn't because I wasn't paying attention to his runners. He just got good jumps. It really wasn't much of a problem though.

Also, I need to play like ten more games with the sox today just to get used to them. Stupid me was playing with my yankees all the time until I played turnbuckle yesterday. Paid for that handily.

JambiBum said:
If someone is throwing pitches a little too quickly there is a way you can slow them down as the batter. If you do one of your warm up swings it won't allow the pitcher to throw until you are finished...
Yeah, but the whole thing is the batter shouldn't have to do a button press just to have a moment. In effect, the opposite of the earlier "shouldn't have to button press to speed through cut scenes" argument. Eh whatever. The most important thing is...

T- 1 hour and 23 minutes until roster update! CANNNNNNN YOUUUUUUUUUU DIG IT???

Doytch

The Frankman said:
Yeah, but the whole thing is the batter shouldn't have to do a button press just to have a moment. In effect, the opposite of the earlier "shouldn't have to button press to speed through cut scenes" argument. Eh whatever. The most important thing is...

T- 1 hour and 23 minutes until roster update! CANNNNNNN YOUUUUUUUUUU DIG IT???
I'd think people here will realise that if someone starts taking a couple of practice swings before each pitch they'd appreciate it if you slowed your pitching down a bit. Like I said, I try to give the batter some time anyway, but if I get carried away, that'd remind me.

LJ11

Kingbrave said:
Are we starting today?

I'm putting the league up today for sure, sooner everyone signs in sooner I can activate and start. I'll be pestering everyone via PM/AIM today to get on and sign up.

Edit: Sim baseball is what we're playing, so people shouldn't be taking advantage of and quick pitching. Give you're a opponent a second or two, after a pitch.

I'm on AIM and at 12:30 will kill the BS Final League. I fully endorse the League motto being that Zep is watching the Strike Witches anime and trying not to fap... or in his case, schlick.

JambiBum

Doytch said:
I'd think people here will realise that if someone starts taking a couple of practice swings before each pitch they'd appreciate it if you slowed your pitching down a bit. Like I said, I try to give the batter some time anyway, but if I get carried away, that'd remind me.

It's this. Really. Every now and then turnbuckle would get a little too speedy so I would take a practice swing and it would slow him down. It's not really a big deal when playing with GAF but online it's a little bad.

turnbuckle

JambiBum said:
It's this. Really. Every now and then turnbuckle would get a little too speedy so I would take a practice swing and it would slow him down. It's not really a big deal when playing with GAF but online it's a little bad.

Ha, sorry about that. This was the first week I've played online and I'm still getting used to trying to be patient. Before this week I was just doing RTTS as a pitcher, so I got in the habit of just trying to get through as fast as possible. I'll try to slow it down a bit.

eznark

Banned
I'll probably be too quick for some at first since I play pretty much against the same person most games we have a good rhythm, no need for waiting etc.

Rosters up?

JambiBum

turnbuckle said:
Ha, sorry about that. This was the first week I've played online and I'm still getting used to trying to be patient. Before this week I was just doing RTTS as a pitcher, so I got in the habit of just trying to get through as fast as possible. I'll try to slow it down a bit.

Compared to what I'm used to you were wonderful. Really wasn't too big of a deal at all lol.

turnbuckle

I don't know how the league works, but I can probably play a game tonight if I'm scheduled to. I'm in the middle of working on a big auditing project for one of my classes, but I'd love to jump on for a game to help avoid research burnout.

Even if I can't play a league game I'd be down for an exhibition game using league rules say, around 8pm EST, if someone wants to get a bit more practice before league play. I'm staying far away from my PS3, but if anyone wants to do a game at 8 (league or exhibition) hit me up on MSN or send me a PM. (trying not to refresh this thread too often lest I get too distracted :p)

Jambi, you'll be fine with the Sox. If I'm not feeling like playing the Tigers, I tend to pick a team a little bit "worse" than whatever team my opponent chooses. Unfortunately this means I've yet to play as the Yankees, yet I've been in control of the Red Sox about 10 times now. Although the Tigers have a pretty low rank I tend to do relatively ok with them. That is, until I'm stuck having to use the 4th and 5th starters....then I'm fucked. I've enjoyed every game I've played as the White Sox, but each time it was Sox vs Tigers and I was winning...I'd tell the opposing player he could take a friendly quit so it wouldn't count. I just can't stand to see the Tigers lose to division rivals lol

Anywho, can't believe I've bought The Show every year since it has been on the PS3 yet this is the first time ever really getting into the online aspect. I don't even give a shit about the other modes now; it's all about playing real people. Whether they hit 10 homeruns or steal 20 bases on me, it's still a blast. Then again, I see enjoyment in both kicking my opponent's butt, or getting my ass handed to me on an epic scale.

I lost a game where I struck out 22 batters.... because I gave up 8 homeruns. Amazing.

/ramblin post where I've had a bit too much wine and was desperate to escape this project for a minute :lol

storybook77 said:
To be fair, this SHOULD be a pretty substantial update.
OS boards on complete meltdown. I've never seen it so pissy before.

EDIT: I REALLY hope that rumor I heard isn't true or I will go into meltdown.

Doytch

The Frankman said:
OS boards on complete meltdown. I've never seen it so pissy before.
Those boards are packed with full-on retards. Reading some of the thread about Knight's rosters when he pushed it back a day because of family issues was pathetic.

I'm not sure how people know this since I can't find it anywhere, but there may be a maintenance update to fix more online issues this Thursday. The rumor was that the online rosters update would be bundled with said maintenance.

Doytch said:
Those boards are packed with full-on retards. Reading some of the thread about Knight's rosters when he pushed it back a day because of family issues was pathetic.
I only go there to get info. I'd rather not participate in the idiocy that is so prevalent there.

Official MLB 10 League Thread of Kate... We Can't Play Without The Rosters

0612093mugs13.jpg

Top Bottom