• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 10 League: Zep's a No Show....again

JambiBum

turnbuckle said:
I don't know how the league works, but I can probably play a game tonight if I'm scheduled to. I'm in the middle of working on a big auditing project for one of my classes, but I'd love to jump on for a game to help avoid research burnout.

Even if I can't play a league game I'd be down for an exhibition game using league rules say, around 8pm EST, if someone wants to get a bit more practice before league play. I'm staying far away from my PS3, but if anyone wants to do a game at 8 (league or exhibition) hit me up on MSN or send me a PM. (trying not to refresh this thread too often lest I get too distracted :p)

Jambi, you'll be fine with the Sox. If I'm not feeling like playing the Tigers, I tend to pick a team a little bit "worse" than whatever team my opponent chooses. Unfortunately this means I've yet to play as the Yankees, yet I've been in control of the Red Sox about 10 times now. Although the Tigers have a pretty low rank I tend to do relatively ok with them. That is, until I'm stuck having to use the 4th and 5th starters....then I'm fucked. I've enjoyed every game I've played as the White Sox, but each time it was Sox vs Tigers and I was winning...I'd tell the opposing player he could take a friendly quit so it wouldn't count. I just can't stand to see the Tigers lose to division rivals lol

Anywho, can't believe I've bought The Show every year since it has been on the PS3 yet this is the first time ever really getting into the online aspect. I don't even give a shit about the other modes now; it's all about playing real people. Whether they hit 10 homeruns or steal 20 bases on me, it's still a blast. Then again, I see enjoyment in both kicking my opponent's butt, or getting my ass handed to me on an epic scale.

I lost a game where I struck out 22 batters.... because I gave up 8 homeruns. Amazing.

/ramblin post where I've had a bit too much wine and was desperate to escape this project for a minute :lol

I played a game earlier with them where I was facing the dodgers. It was pretty much a pitcher's duel the entire thing. He hit a two run jack early in the game but besides that he couldn't get anything going. I eventually tied it with a two run HR of my own and won it in the bottom of the 9th with a 2 out single. After that game I realized that I'm just going to have to rely on my pitching with the sox and hope that I can score enough runs with them to stay in contention. I usually don't have nearly as many problems hitting with other teams as I did with them when I played you. Just have to get used to the fact that their lineup isn't as strong as others.

wtf its still not up! LETS GET IT STARTED! LETS GET RETARDED IN HEYA!

i want to say who gives a fuck about rosters, but if it was madden i would want my most updated 49ers roster too so i can understand

turnbuckle

FrenchMovieTheme said:
wtf its still not up! LETS GET IT STARTED! LETS GET RETARDED IN HEYA!

i want to say who gives a fuck about rosters, but if it was madden i would want my most updated 49ers roster too so i can understand

I care! 1/4 of the Tigers real starting lineup can't be used with the current rosters. It's as if we gave away Granderson for nothing. :(

Miguel

Fifty said:
I think it was MVP Baseball 2004 or 5 that had zack greinke with a 50 MPH curve ball..that was the closest to cheese in a baseball game that I've ever seen.

Jesus.
Fucking.
Christ.

I nearly killed my friend when we played.

"The Royals?... your funeral buddy"

*30 minutes later*

fu_search.jpg

eznark

Banned
My buddy and I had soooooo many Grienke v Grienke matches that he eventually sent his game to Grienkes parents house to get autographed!

Rorschach

Bet you had that same look on your face every time Lo Duca and Kent won a game for me I had no business winning. :3 I'll chase anything!

Sanjuro

I didn't realize there was a new thread, normally I just check my subscriptions. I've been off MLB10 for a bit and looking to get back into it soon. Whats the word right now?

Trades better still be on (if they even work properly).

LJ11

Explain to me the benefits of leaving trades on, when A) you can't progress minor league players B) said minor league players are fakes for the most part C) everything resets after the season. Virtually no way to move a big name player unless other big name players are in the deal. It's a headache and has zero upside besides mid-tier relievers that would move back and forth.

turnbuckle

LJ11 said:
Explain to me the benefits of leaving trades on, when A) you can't progress minor league players B) said minor league players are fakes for the most part C) everything resets after the season. Virtually no way to move a big name player unless other big name players are in the deal. It's a headache and has zero upside besides mid-tier relievers that would move back and forth.

I've never been in an online league before, but I can imagine it being sort of like trading cards in a TCG. One player may be ranked similarly overall to another player but the specifics of that player could be quite different. Say one team wants to improve their infield defense and are willing to trade a slugger/dh, or another player wants an ace with a different set of pitches and is willing to give up a statistically better pitcher in exchange.

For example, if I were the Yankees I'd trade Sabathia for Verlander...while others would think it's a ridiculous deal. I love using JV's curveball and I've never been very effective throwing sliders, even with CC.

I'm cool with them on or off though, as I find it unlikely that there'd be any trades that appeal to me.

Sanjuro

LJ11 said:
Because it's fun. I'm not talking swapping teams here. If you have a A-hitter and need desperately a particular position you might go in for a B-player at that. If you see another team with a player not getting any playing time you may want to offer someone that could be of some use. It works.

LJ11

I've considered leaving them on for the "fun" aspect, because I really don't see the benefit in building a winner via trades. Randy Moss has been traded 3 times in our Madden league, I'm looking to avoid that.

If someone brought me a Verlander for Sabathia trade I would veto it. It's a trade that would never ever happen, ever. Trading a guy who's younger and making less money, for a guy who's older and making more money.

I'm willing to compromise, I'll leave them on, but I better not see some crazy proposals. Before anyone makes a trade, you have to get my approval on the deal. Trade deadline will probably be at the half way point.

Sanjuro

It's still vidya game beisbol. Whole idea is to have a good time. I have a third baseman and a closer I don't use.

Also how is the setup this year? Will it actually allow me to set a rotation?

turnbuckle

No ridiculous trades? So I can give up on my hopes of landing an A-Rod + CC for Brandon Inge + Willis deal? :lol

Question about roster updates - do they alter the stats of current roster players at all? Verlander has been a joke so far, but the starting lineup has been surprisingly clutch this week. Sunday's game was particularly incredible. They came back from 5 down in the 7th (knock on wood) today too. They're definitely playing better than a 21st ranked team.

Of course...when I put them out on the field, they're gonna play like World Series favorites. (yeah right!)

LJ11

DenogginizerOS said:
No trades.

If enough people feel this way, I'm more than happy to oblige.

You won't see any crazy deals though, I can promise you that. With the way the game is set up, only teams with loaded rosters benefit the most. Yanks have Johnson, viable 1st baseman for most teams, Sox have Lowell.

You won't see unrealistic trades in the name of fun.

Edit: They update the ratings once a month, at least that's how they handled it last year. Sanjuro, there is a stamina hit to pitchers this year, so you have to set up your rotation accordingly.

LiveWire

Don't really care about trades being on/off because I won't be trading since I know two things about pro baseball, jack and shit.

Strasburg and Zimmerman for Pujols, Fifty!

LJ11

eznark said:
We can't use custom rosters can we? I downloaded an OS roster with full minors players...fucking so much fun

No, we can't. Shame too, we could really have some fun if we had the minor league rosters to muck around with.

JambiBum

turnbuckle said:
GG Jambi. You crushed me :lol
:lol I really wanted a no hitter after the first inning and then on the first pitch of the second you took me yard. I'm really glad I didn't have my mic on because you would have heard me call you all sorts of names lol. That was by far my best hitting game though. Had close to 20 hits I think. You left a bunch of pitches up in the zone that I just hammered the fuck out of. Plus the whole Omar Vizquel thing made me laugh. It was a fun game.

turnbuckle

JambiBum said:
:lol I really wanted a no hitter after the first inning and then on the first pitch of the second you took me yard. I'm really glad I didn't have my mic on because you would have heard me call you all sorts of names lol. That was by far my best hitting game though. Had close to 20 hits I think. You left a bunch of pitches up in the zone that I just hammered the fuck out of. Plus the whole Omar Vizquel thing made me laugh. It was a fun game.

Yeah, Omar getting that HR cracked me up. I picked Dontrelle hoping to get some practice with him before the season started, then accidentally kicked him out in the 3rd inning. (Meant to sit down a reliever I was warming up, but got a bit of lag when scrolling the options and ended up putting in some cold, awful pitcher). After that, I think the pitching staff just kinda got irritated with me and you definitely took advantage.

I think I have something like an 8 game losing streak now. :lol

Nightz

A guy on The Show forums says the roster update is out. I'm at work so I can't check. Can anyone confirm so we can finally get this thing started?

LJ11

Nightz said:
A guy on The Show forums says the roster update is out. I'm at work so I can't check. Can anyone confirm so we can finally get this thing started?

Pretty sure they're up according to OS. Lets get this thing started!!

I'll put it up by 4 or 5pm eastern, maybe earlier if I get some errands done faster.

LJ11 said:
Pretty sure they're up according to OS. Lets get this thing started!!

I'll put it up by 4 or 5pm eastern, maybe earlier if I get some errands done faster.

I'll at least sign in this evening at some point. I probably won't be able to play until later tonight though. My DVR runneth over and my son has ball practice.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
I'm going to have to play some practice games soon. Took 300 practice ABs yesterday to iron out kinks in my swing.
This is why I won't mind getting my ass kicked by some of you people. I just do not have the giveafuck to put in practice.

Rorschach

Hopefully, this league gets started before NCAA comes out so I'm not tempted to buy that POS.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'll trade like a motherfucker if allowed!
Let's swap teams Livewire/DCX style, homeboy!

Nightz

eznark said:
This is why I won't mind getting my ass kicked by some of you people. I just do not have the giveafuck to put in practice.
I'm with ya! I expect to win no games in this league. :lol

turnbuckle

oh god, I'm sick today so I didn't go to work. But I'm not too sick to play with the new rosters for a bit. Good thing my boss isn't on my PSN list :lol

turnbuckle

anyone know how sportsmanship gets determined? Mine is quite low and I'm not sure why. I've only ever conceded against a person who was in my friend's list (due to lag). Had someone decline an invitation to a game today because my ranking is 86. If I saw someone with an 86 I'd probably decline or at least be suspicious too :/

LJ11

JambiBum said:
LJ I thought that guess pitch was going to be turned off? You have it set on default.

No fucking way! I even double checked!

Frank, do you know if this is a setting we can turn off once we activate?

Top Bottom