• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

Kurt Busch hit 218 in an IndyCar at the Speedway yesterday. He is planning the double in 2014.

There is still some speculation he'll try it this year. He was easily up to speed in a Hunter-Reay Andretti Racing car.

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedwa...busch-completes-indianapolis-500-rookie-test/

He's been driving something new and interesting every week. I'd love to see him compete in one of these other series. I've got the highest regard for his ability. Personality, not so much.

TylerD

Red Bull posted a pretty sick video of Loeb and the 208 T16 Pikes Peak.

http://youtu.be/-pkVnDcH-oQ

That is a beast of a machine. The only thing that will be keeping him from setting the paved record will be if he doesn't know the road as well as some others like the Millens and Monster Tajima.

I maintain that it is sad that there is no more gravel on Pike's Peak but the hill climb is open to many more different types of vehicles and challengers now.

TylerD

ALMS Laguna Seca about to start. You can watch on ESPN 3 in very nice quality on your XBOX 360. Just click on the Indycar on the main page.

Shaneus

The major categories are done for the weekend. WRC has started posting full stage onboards on YouTube again.

Here is SS06 from Portugal with more simplistic pace notes in English and 24 mins of one beast of a stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u887vhMMa4Q
Epic. Shame that the camera isn't placed with the drivers in view (maybe it's different in other cars?) but still, great to have that stuff.

Love to see that sort of thing with all motorsports. Watching an F1 or V8 Supercars race (for example) complete with radio from the perspective of a single driver (including pitstops) would be the best.

Very nice. I always think they read the notes too far ahead. I'd end up in a ditch after 3 corners if I tried to rally.
I wonder if there's a game that (realistically) reads the pace notes that early? It'd be great to experience the exact sort of delay to get the sort of mental preparation real drivers have.

Arcticfox

Epic. Shame that the camera isn't placed with the drivers in view (maybe it's different in other cars?) but still, great to have that stuff.

Love to see that sort of thing with all motorsports. Watching an F1 or V8 Supercars race (for example) complete with radio from the perspective of a single driver (including pitstops) would be the best.
That is why I love Nascar's RaceBuddy. It allows you to follow the in-car camera of one of 8 cars live with all radio transmissions. Too bad it is only available for about half the Nationwide races and a handful of Sprint Cup races late in the year. I normally lose interest in Nascar races on TV within a couple of laps, but watching a single driver and listening to the constant radio chatter about nearby cars and strategy makes the races much more interesting.

Chris R

Is SPEED going to show the V8 stuff in Austin live? I see they have a few events planned for Sunday but I don't know if that is when stuff is actually happening. I hope they would as nothing else is happening on Sunday related to NASCAR or Indy but who knows with them sometimes :|

That is why I love Nascar's RaceBuddy. It allows you to follow the in-car camera of one of 8 cars live with all radio transmissions. Too bad it is only available for about half the Nationwide races and a handful of Sprint Cup races late in the year. I normally lose interest in Nascar races on TV within a couple of laps, but watching a single driver and listening to the constant radio chatter about nearby cars and strategy makes the races much more interesting.

It sucks that DirecTV stopped doing this on TV. Granted, they only choose 4 drivers every week to follow, but they gave you the drivers on board camera and their radio communications in the main portion of the screen and the tv broadcast in another portion of the screen. It was my preferred way to watch the races whenever there was a race on ABC since I don't get ABC in HD, even with the ~5 second delay between the drivers feed and the tv broadcast.

Dead Man

Is SPEED going to show the V8 stuff in Austin live? I see they have a few events planned for Sunday but I don't know if that is when stuff is actually happening. I hope they would as nothing else is happening on Sunday related to NASCAR or Indy but who knows with them sometimes :|

It sucks that DirecTV stopped doing this on TV. Granted, they only choose 4 drivers every week to follow, but they gave you the drivers on board camera and their radio communications in the main portion of the screen and the tv broadcast in another portion of the screen. It was my preferred way to watch the races whenever there was a race on ABC since I don't get ABC in HD, even with the ~5 second delay between the drivers feed and the tv broadcast.

Australian TV seems to be showing it live (3am lol) and then only a highlights package during the day instead of a full replay. Makes me a bit sad.

Seanspeed

Banned

modulaire

I love the guys who do road racing. They are all so down-to-earth.

I can't wait to see the highlights with additional (onboard) footage.

Sad that living here in Austin, i've had to miss all three major races so far. I'll be out of town for the V8 race due to my mother having surgery.

will probably mis F1 as well, seeing as i'll be on my honeymoon at the time (i think).

Edmond Dantès;57896478 said:
Le Mans is just around the corner. A separate thread this year or not? If so, I'll do it again for third year in a row.

The last couple of dedicated threads have been great, ED. Put me down for another one this year.

Shaneus

Le Mans is just around the corner. A separate thread this year or not? If so, I'll do it again for third year in a row.
I'm definitely up for it. Any idea if there's a way to watch it easily enough again for those of us without access to pay TV coverage? I can't remember if there was a legit free way to do it last year or not.

Dead Man

Damn. RIP.

For sure a thread, if you feel up to doing it, I really enjoyed the last 2 even though I didn't get to watch much last year.

I'm definitely up for it. Any idea if there's a way to watch it easily enough again for those of us without access to pay TV coverage? I can't remember if there was a legit free way to do it last year or not.
One had about 10 hours of the race last year I think, and I think there was a European tv stream that was not region locked from memory. Could be wrong on the stream though.

Shaneus

One had about 10 hours of the race last year I think, and I think there was a European tv stream that was not region locked from memory. Could be wrong on the stream though.
Cheers for that. I was definitely spoiled a few years back when Foxtel had that trial deal happening for streaming on the 360. Eurosport 24/7.

Seanspeed

Banned
I call it the '24 Hours of occasionally switching to Speedtv to see an update because I'll be damned if I'm going to watch hours and hours and hours of lapping where being a minute behind the car in front is considered close and it rarely has actual good battling on-track(unlike places like Sebring or Spa), but I pay attention anyway because I'm a motorsport fan and I feel like I should be ashamed if I dont'.

It hasn't caught on much.

B.K.

I call it the '24 Hours of occasionally switching to Speedtv to see an update because I'll be damned if I'm going to watch hours and hours and hours of lapping where being a minute behind the car in front is considered close and it rarely has actual good battling on-track(unlike places like Sebring or Spa), but I pay attention anyway because I'm a motorsport fan and I feel like I should be ashamed if I dont'.

It hasn't caught on much.

Better watch as much of it this year as you can. It may not be on TV next year when Speed becomes Fox Sports 1.

TylerD

The V8s are so awesome in person is what I would probably be saying but I wasn't able to make the trip. My grandfather had a really bad stroke and hospice care has been setup and I am with my family this weekend while we wait for the inevitable. Much better to go like this instead of some debilitating disease. He had a great 92 years.

Seanspeed

Banned
Better watch as much of it this year as you can. It may not be on TV next year when Speed becomes Fox Sports 1.

For me, that wouldn't be such a bad thing. Means I'd have a justified reason to not pay attention. A big shame for others, though.

Moving to England anyways, so I'll probably have to watch some of it still. Damn Le Mans.

Chris R

What else would Fox Sports 1 be showing? Sure they won't show the entire race, and they might not even have local coverage, instead using some European stream or whatever, but I bet they have at least 4-6 hours of live coverage and some way to access more online.

Dead Man

The V8s are so awesome in person is what I would probably be saying but I wasn't able to make the trip. My grandfather had a really bad stroke and hospice care has been setup and I am with my family this weekend while we wait for the inevitable. Much better to go like this instead of some debilitating disease. He had a great 92 years.

Damn. Sorry to hear that. 92 is good innings, and he has family around him, hope he isn't in pain. All the best TylerD.

Shaneus

Ah shit man, sorry to hear that. Fuck the V8s, be with your grandfather and the rest of your family.

To echo DM, all the best to you and your loved ones. 92 is indeed a great knock.

TylerD

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really don't think my grandfather is there at this point. He had a great weekend before his stroke driving all around and volunteering with special olympics. It happened while he was sleeping and everybody seems to think that there was/is no pain involved.

Top Bottom