• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

Shaneus

Only 2 days left until my favourite event of the year starts!

iboktoAB5TOOxb.gif
I'm gonna make a point of watching that somehow. Seems like it'd be a great thing to watch, but I have no idea of the structure of the weekend or anything, ergo no idea how or when to watch it.

Shaneus

If you do find a way, don't skimp on the sidecars!
Will do!

How's everyone else watching it? I need ideas. I'm guessing some kind of a pirate Eurosport stream would be the best (assuming they're broadcasting it) but otherwise, I have zero idea.

Man, so many of these events could make a mint if they had pay-per-view over the internet for these events. I'd gladly drop $10 or so for a weekend of watching Isle of Man or Le Mans.

That is glorious.
Have you seen that guy's YT channel where basically all he posts is slow-motion compilations of motorsports? Ugh, they're all a work of art.

Dead Man

Will do!

How's everyone else watching it? I need ideas. I'm guessing some kind of a pirate Eurosport stream would be the best (assuming they're broadcasting it) but otherwise, I have zero idea.

Man, so many of these events could make a mint if they had pay-per-view over the internet for these events. I'd gladly drop $10 or so for a weekend of watching Isle of Man or Le Mans.

Have you seen that guy's YT channel where basically all he posts is slow-motion compilations of motorsports? Ugh, they're all a work of art.

That is where geographic distribution rights are fucking them over now.

Edit:LINK NAOW!

dubc35

Man, what a weekend

F1 @ Monaco
Indy 500
Nascar CC 600
TT
Ogier vs Loeb in Porsche Supercup this weekend at Monaco. Maybe going on now, not sure of the timing.

Dead Man

Welcome to Community. I think we will sink a bit here, 1200 odd posts in 5 months seems like something other than a mega thread, but oh well.

modulaire

Unfortunately there is no way to watch the Isle of Man TT live.

I guess it is impossible (financially) to do a live-broadcast of a race that takes place on 37 miles of public roads. Especially because it is a time trial.

There will be a link to a live radio broadcast at least. And ITV4 is doing highlight-shows every day. http://www.itv.com/sport/isleofmantt/

Shaneus

Unfortunately there is no way to watch the Isle of Man TT live.

I guess it is impossible (financially) to do a live-broadcast of a race that takes place on 37 miles of public roads. Especially because it is a time trial.

There will be a link to a live radio broadcast at least. And ITV4 is doing highlight-shows every day. http://www.itv.com/sport/isleofmantt/
Makes sense. Will that be free to access over the web at all? I think ITV is a free-to-air UK station, but I'm not sure.

Just had a look, and thankfully Unblock-US (a DNS that spoofs your region for certain sites) works on ITV.com and their equivalent of an iPlayer. This is good :)

Shaneus

Is that Russian guy who tried to run another guy off the road last year still in it? I can't remember where or when it was, but I remember the movie itself quite distinctly.

Curious to see if he's still racing.

Shaneus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkSKu7yBCcc

He was racing in Brazilian and European Formula 3, but pulled out of European season due to lack of cash.
That's not the one I'm thinking of... I might have two events confused. It wasn't a damaged car, it was just two cars going at it down a straight and one visibly tries ramming the car off the road. But yeah, I remember watching the one you linked to live (or possibly shortly after it happened). Stupid, idiotic stuff.

Shaneus

Holy shit. You have to wonder why the other guys thought they could just do it flat out when Dempsey just used the slingshot at the VERY last moment. There is literally no way he could've left it any later.

Now, oval Indy racing... is that much different in strategy to Nascar?

BTW, I *love* the simplistic design of the Indycars. I wish F1 was like that. Are they a universal design or do they just have specific regulations and they just look very similar?

Holy shit. You have to wonder why the other guys thought they could just do it flat out when Dempsey just used the slingshot at the VERY last moment. There is literally no way he could've left it any later.

Now, oval Indy racing... is that much different in strategy to Nascar?

BTW, I *love* the simplistic design of the Indycars. I wish F1 was like that. Are they a universal design or do they just have specific regulations and they just look very similar?

Indy Lights is a spec series.

IndyCar is as well as far as the body goes for this year only. They will allow different aero packages starting in 2014.

RayStorm

Made an Indy 500 OT. I believe it qualifies under the "big event" rule.

I believe you misunderstand that. I suspect if every discussion within this thread was split up into individual threads that would be desirable. As such I think there is no "Big event" rule, it's rather a "don't create mega threads that have users post perpetually for many months."
e.g.
"Manx TT 2013 - high speed motorcycling on closed roads"
"Indy 500 2013 - going in circles"
"Coca Cola 600 2013 - one oval ain't enough"
"Monaco 2013 - The crown jewel of F1"
"Closest finish ever at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway"
"V8 Supercars in Austin: Australians racing in front of 50.000 Americans"

Dead Man

I believe you misunderstand that. I suspect if every discussion within this thread was split up into individual threads that would be desirable. As such I think there is no "Big event" rule, it's rather a "don't create mega threads that have users post perpetually for many months."
e.g.
"Manx TT 2013 - high speed motorcycling on closed roads"
"Indy 500 2013 - going in circles"
"Coca Cola 600 2013 - one oval ain't enough"
"Monaco 2013 - The crown jewel of F1"
"Closest finish ever at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway"
"V8 Supercars in Austin: Australians racing in front of 50.000 Americans"

Those threads would have 6 posts each.

RayStorm

Those threads would have 6 posts each.

Aside from that being apparently what is desired by the people in red I don't actually see a problem with that.
I also believe that depending on the thread-title some other people might be attracted that would never look into the general motor sports thread. Plus it could be linked from this thread as to avoid anyone looking in here missing that a new thread for an event/incident was created.

Dead Man

Aside from that being apparently what is desired by the people in red I don't actually see a problem with that.
I also believe that depending on the thread-title some other people might be attracted that would never look into the general motor sports thread. Plus it could be linked from this thread as to avoid anyone looking in here missing that a new thread for an event/incident was created.

Yeah, fair enough. I was more takling about if there were only those and not the general motorsport thread.

I got a chance to watch that this morning. Epic! The winner was in fourth place about 200 yards before that picture was taken. When you hear stories about what Monza was like in the 70's - there you go.

Jezbollah

Proper couch potato day in my place.

Donington World Superbikes
Monaco GP
Indy 500
Coca Cola 600

and I have the UFC and Frotch vs Kessler to catch up on.

The last sunday in May is one of my favourite days of the year.

Chris R

Is it too late to get my guess of 12 in? As in the number of laps Danica will be down at the end of the race if she doesn't wreck out earlier?

TylerD

Very odd stoppage caused by a cable from the overhead camera breaking and falling on the track damaging Kyle Busch and Ambrose.

moojito

I don't know if they should let the guys repair their cars under red. If a part of a car fell off and ruined a car behind, they wouldn't, so what's different about a cable from above?

Chris R

Well the wire has to start somewhere. I assume it goes over part of the stands, too.

Yep, it was anchored at two ends of the luxury suites above the stands before T1 and after T4. Wonder if KB's engine really blew or if it was damage from the wire.

Chris R

Someone is sleeping on the couch tonight.

edit: Everyone will continue to wreck until only Montoya remains mwahahaha. Smoke threading the needle

Top Bottom