• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

Dead Man

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really don't think my grandfather is there at this point. He had a great weekend before his stroke driving all around and volunteering with special olympics. It happened while he was sleeping and everybody seems to think that there was/is no pain involved.

Good to hear.

vitacola

pPr0Xh8.png

The 24h of Nürburgring are happening this weekend.

Here is a German stream (don't know if it's geo-blocked)
http://tv.sport1.de/player/player.php?id=s635322
If somebody knows another stream I would be happy, because the stream doesn't work very well for me. :(

Timetable
(all dates are GMT+2/CEST)

Saturday
  • 11:20 to 13:20 (right now) - 2nd Qualifying
  • 14:20 to 17:20 - ADAC 24h Classic - Race
  • 19:10 to 20:00 - Top 40 Qualifying

Sunday
  • 17:00 - Start of the Race

Dead Man

pPr0Xh8.png

If somebody knows another stream I would be happy, because the stream doesn't work very well for me. :(

Timetable

Saturday

Sunday
So much racing on this weekend!

modulaire

Too bad the NW200 race was rained off today. It's the second time in three years it's raining like crazy.

Hopefully the weather is better next week at the TT on the Isle of Man.

Well, I guess MotoGP is good enough.

Mobius 1

pPr0Xh8.png

Timetable

Saturday

Sunday

Geoblocked :(

At least radio LeMans works.

Chris R

Allstar race about to start, Montoya would have been in it if he didn't speed on exit of pitroad :(

At least they seem to have a good setup for the 600 next week.

Dead Man

Gah, slept straight through my alarm, going to set two for tonights races!

Local Tv hates the V8's apparently. Instead of showing a full replay, they have a 1 hour highlights package, and then 6 hours of filler and reruns on their other channel. And yet other times if the race is on during the day they show it delayed until night time in full. They just don't want to show it :(

thefro

http://www.racer.com/carpenter-claims-indy-500-pole/article/293950/

Ed
Carpenter emerged as the surprise winner in the battle for pole position for the Indianapolis 500.
IndyCar's only full-time owner/driver had ended the initial qualifying session with the fifth-fastest time, and strung together a sequence of four laps at 229.347mph, 228.976mph, 228.774mph and 227.955mph laps to finish up with an average of 228.762mph.

"Victories were great, but an Indianapolis 500 pole is the best,” said Carpenter, an Indianapolis resident who won the series' last oval race last September at Fontana's Auto Club Speedway. “This is the start of a dream come true (but) this is just the first part of what we want to do. To fight with the Penskes and Andrettis is an accomplishment in itself.”

The upsets continued when Andretti Autosport rookie Carlos Munoz secured second on the grid with a 228.342mph average, with teammate Marco Andretti completing the front row courtesy of his 228.261mph effort.

"I don't have too many words to describe how happy I am; just to be a rookie on the front row is a dream come true," said the Indy Lights standout. "I was happy with the car in the first qualifying, but we did a couple of changes and it worked out. We didn't expect Carpenter to go so fast, but he just put in really good laps. I can't say anything – front row is just perfect for the race. I have my teammate just on the side of me; I have great people around me with a lot of experience. Right now I have to focus on the race. I have to finish this month off just the way I started it."

The last time a rookie started second was with Juan-Pasblo Montoya in 2000 – and he won...
Code:
Indianapolis 500 provisional starting lineup:

Pos  Driver               Team/Car           Speed
 1.  Ed Carpenter         Carpenter/Chevy    228.762
 2.  Carlos Munoz         Andretti/Chevy     228.342
 3.  Marco Andretti       Andretti/Chevy     228.261
 4.  EJ Viso              Andretti/Chevy     228.150
 5.  AJ Allmendinger      Penske/Chevy       228.099
 6.  Will Power           Penske/Chevy       228.087
 7.  Ryan Hunter-Reay     Andretti/Chevy     227.904
 8.  Helio Castroneves    Penske/Chevy       227.762
 9.  James Hinchcliffe    Andretti/Chevy     227.070
10.  JR Hildebrand        Panther/Chevy      227.441
11.  Alex Tagliani        Herta/Honda        227.386
12.  Tony Kanaan          KV/Chevy           226.949
13.  Oriol Servia         Panther DRR/Chevy  226.814
14.  Justin Wilson        Coyne/Honda        226.370
15.  Sebastien Bourdais   Dragon/Chevy       226.196
16.  Scott Dixon          Ganassi/Honda      226.158
17.  Dario Franchitti     Ganassi/Honda      226.069
18.  Takuma Sato          Foyt/Honda         225.892
19.  Charlie Kimball      Ganassi/Honda      225.880
20.  James Jakes          Rahal/Honda        225.809
21.  Simon Pagenaud       Schmidt/Honda      225.674
22.  Townsend Bell        Panther/Chevy      225.643
23.  Ryan Briscoe         Ganassi/Honda      225.265
24.  Simona de Silvestro  KV/Chevy           225.226

Rest of the field qualifies tomorrow

MotoGP QP2 Results at Le Mans

Times are very close, hopefully will make for a good race.

Rain is possible on race day.

KWTrQ6t.png

Yeah if this is a wet race, it really could be anyone winning this. I remember Chris Vermuelen got his only GP win in the wet there on a Suzuki. If dry, you really can't go past the top 3, I think this one may be Lorenzos. He really has to show Marquez that he won't be messed with like he was in Jerez. In the wet, this could be someone like Stephan Bradl day to shine, maybe even Cal, but he's had the dropsies pretty bad lately.

Now for everyones bets on what lap Randy De Puniet crashes on. Honestly, this guy is a human crash dummy. I seriously can not remember a race weekend where he hasn't crashed once or more. Not just in the race, but in qualifying and free practice. I got curious yesterday and went looking for his career crash stats, couldn't find and real numbers apart from the 2008 season, where he layed the bike down 22 times. He must be around this number per season. So being nice, lets say average of 15 crashes per season from then on, that's 82 crashes, not counting this season. Man the poor guy must be seriously banged up lol. I actually like the guy and his "all or nothing" approach but this must cost teams an absolute fortune, it makes me wonder how he keeps getting a ride.

I'm gonna give him till lap 5.

Gah, slept straight through my alarm, going to set two for tonights races!

Local Tv hates the V8's apparently. Instead of showing a full replay, they have a 1 hour highlights package, and then 6 hours of filler and reruns on their other channel. And yet other times if the race is on during the day they show it delayed until night time in full. They just don't want to show it :(

I really don't get this either. Australias premier racing series reduced to a highlights package, so we can see those Hogans Heroes reruns that are in such high demand. I'm with you, it really does seem like they want it to fail but maybe they just don't feel they compete with the football codes, so why even try? A sport as expensive as car racing would need all the coverage it could get, I would think.

Dilly

Banned
Instead of pitting Farfus just stops on the straight, what?

-edit

Haha, holy shit. Towing the car across the track without a safety car.

pPr0Xh8.png

Timetable

Saturday

Sunday
Blocked in the UK... anyone have another stream?

caramac

It has to be a money thing as to why Cal seems to be on his way out at Tech3, maybe Smiths sponsors are paying Tech3 a lot of money to get him a ride.

Plus the fact he is on a 2 year contract.

Seanspeed

Banned
It has to be a money thing as to why Cal seems to be on his way out at Tech3, maybe Smiths sponsors are paying Tech3 a lot of money to get him a ride.

Plus the fact he is on a 2 year contract.
Tech3 are stuck with Smith, yea. Contract was signed pretty early on last year and I think a lot of people at the team were hoping he'd be a lot better than he has been, but I think they overestimated how behind their Moto2 chassis was. He's British, so I cant imagine he's got a whole lot of money to contribute.

Cal has been brilliant, but he's also been pretty vocal whenever he's felt hard done-by, which has been justified in a couple occasions and maybe more born from frustration at others, especially last year when Dovi was edging him. I dont think the Tech 3 boss has warmed to that very much and with Pol Espargaro waiting in the wings, they might have a performer who might also bring some Spanish magic($$) with him as well. They might have to reconsider that until Pol starts doing better, though. He's been quick, but he's not bringing home results like last year.

Jezbollah

Ever since the Yamaha talk, Pol's performances have been poor.

Right now the only place I can see Cal moving form Tech 3 is to replace Rossi.

Dead Man

Bloody Whincup out in front again. :( The guy is a great driver, and the RBR/888 team are fantastic, I just want someone to challenge them!!

Shaneus

Main grandstand looked about 1/3 to 1/2 full, some other people scattered around. Its a big facility so it was never going to look full anyway.
Oh yeah, I was more asking about how many people were there, not how busy it was. But that sounds like a good turnout for something that most spectators wouldn't have any vested interest in.

Frawdder

Oh yeah, I was more asking about how many people were there, not how busy it was. But that sounds like a good turnout for something that most spectators wouldn't have any vested interest in.
The telecast said it was just over 68,000 people over the three days. I think V8 Supercars was hoping to get more than 50,000 for the weekend so they exceeded their own target by a bit.

Shaneus

The telecast said it was just over 68,000 people over the three days. I think V8 Supercars was hoping to get more than 50,000 for the weekend so they exceeded their own target by a bit.
Oh shit, that's good! I don't know what sort of turnaround most events get, but that sounds like a fuckload of people considering, like I said, most don't really have a vested interest in it.

I wonder if Ambrose's name was mentioned in any promotional material? No idea how big/popular he is, but it surely must've come up.

Frawdder

In their estimate of 50,000 V8 Supercars mentioned that was about what they get at the lower attendance races in Australia.

On the other end of the scale this year's Clipsal 500 had a total of 282,000 people over four days with just under 68,000 people attending on the Friday and 95,000 on Sunday. Bathurst last year had 207,000 people and the Gold Coast had 182,000 people over the course of those weekends.

Well im across the street from Indy Speedway right now for the 500. Camping in an RV with the inlaws. This is my first motor race so this is all new. Looks like its gonna be a big party.

Dave Long

Banned
Well im across the street from Indy Speedway right now for the 500. Camping in an RV with the inlaws. This is my first motor race so this is all new. Looks like its gonna be a big party.
You are in for a real treat. It's the Greatest Spectacle in Racing!

I'll be arriving Saturday. South Vista on Sunday afternoon. Cannot wait!

Top Bottom