• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

untitled-1y1u0q.gif

:(

R.I.P

modulaire

Finally a dry practice day at the TT. Really wet and sketchy conditions in the last few days.

Superbike timing

1. McGuinness 129.3231 [mph]
2. Anstey 129.1436
3. Rutter 128.0029
4. Martin 127.9251
5. M Dunlop 127.6565
6. C Donald 126.9644
7. G Johnson 125.7291
8. D Stewart 124.3068
9. S Mercer 124.2122
10. J Hillier 123.8333

Some really impressive lap times considering it was the first time they could ride the Superbikes in good conditions.

Business

Yes that's braking for turn one. I wouldn't say he was going the full 350 but definitely very very fast. Seeing the naked concrete pass by so close is just crazy.

moojito

Got to watching some on board iom tt footage. Absolutely crazy. Probably the only racing event that makes me cringe more than rallying.

Anyhoo, Dover truck race comin' up!

Yes that's braking for turn one. I wouldn't say he was going the full 350 but definitely very very fast. Seeing the naked concrete pass by so close is just crazy.

I saw that RepHon released the speed figures. Lost it at 198 (318), came off at 173 (278). Those are the most dangerous types of accidents. The ones where it snaps under initial braking, and it drives you off the side of the circuit. Daijiro Kato quickly comes to mind.

caramac

iD3bJCcXNaB1V.gif

ibbVrREARD59f9.gif

As has been said, Marquez is so so lucky here. It could have been much worse.

iF5l1rIKS41mc.gif

Brad got his hand trapped under the bike and mangled one of his fingers badly.

I saw that RepHon released the speed figures. Lost it at 198 (318), came off at 173 (278). Those are the most dangerous types of accidents. The ones where it snaps under initial braking, and it drives you off the side of the circuit. Daijiro Kato quickly comes to mind.

Marquez is extremely lucky. Your gear won't do much for you at that speed if you hit a concrete wall and come to a dead stop. The impact would rupture your organs and shatter bones like they are glass. What surprises me the most is his presence of mind to "bail", when every instinct would have been to try and keep the bike upright and stay on.

As for IOM, I really wish there was a way this could be made "spectator friendly". Only bike enthusiasts really even know that it exists. While I love my MotoGP, these guys are quite a few levels of insanity above the track riders. I would love to see some of these guys in MotoGP, I mean no one can question their ability on a bike, they clearly have the talent but without the fame and fortune of the GP guys. If Herve Poncherol is reading this (lol) get rid of Brad Smith and give John McGuiness a ride. That would be very interesting.

Shaneus

Motogp will be live at 10pm AEST. Nice ride from Redding, I always thought he was a much better prospect than Smith.
Man, so my worst fears are true. I thought that the reason Darryl Beattie might be so boring during F1 is because it wasn't a sport he competed in. But he's not doing the excitement of MotoGP any favours whatsoever.

Ugh, kill me now, that guy's boring me to fucking tears.

Man, so my worst fears are true. I thought that the reason Darryl Beattie might be so boring during F1 is because it wasn't a sport he competed in. But he's not doing the excitement of MotoGP any favours whatsoever.

Well he is not really there to be "exciting". The guy knows his stuff when it comes to MotoGP and that's his job, to give more detailed analysis. I do miss what they did last year, when they would show an on board lap and he would commentate the lap. You could here the excitement in his voice as he remembered tracks and corners he has raced on.

TJP

Daryl has a rather dry style but as a former 500cc rider and runner up in the world championship, he knows his stuff inside and out. Why he is on the F1 coverage I cannot answer.

Rossi and Bautista bash farings and both are kaput after a couple of turns. The incident and therefore Bautista is currently under stewards review. It will be interesting to read the cesspit that is crash.net tomorrrow 8)

Business

It was a silly mistake and you can tell by his own body language, there was no need to push hard but ok , mistakes happen. Will help him grow.

Bloody hell, Marquez, how many times can you fall off a bike? Kid needs to slow down a bit before he goes fast.

To be fair, it is a notorious track for big crashes. He's a rookie rider, this happens to all rookies. The fact he was in the running at all after his previous crashes, shows he has what it takes. It is also his first race crash of his MotoGP career.

Dead Man

To be fair, it is a notorious track for big crashes. He's a rookie rider, this happens to all rookies. The fact he was in the running at all after his previous crashes, shows he has what it takes. It is also his first race crash of his MotoGP career.

Yeah, not doubting his ability or his balls, just his sense. :)

modulaire

The Dainese Superbike Race at the TT should start in 15 minutes (14.15). There will be a short delay because of a traffic accident on the track.

6 laps - 236.38 Miles - lap record: 17’12.83 - 131.511mph - fastest race: 1:46.03.06

You can listen to the radio-feed and check the live timing here: https://www.iomtt.com/TTLive/SignUp.aspx

If you just want to listen to the radio: http://www.manxradio.com/Player/RadioPlayer/Index_AM.html

Footage of the race will be available on ITV4 this evening.

there are a few webcams available like this one: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iom-t...mtt.com&utm_source=11194521&utm_medium=social

Yeah, not doubting his ability or his balls, just his sense. :)

It was a funny crash because it didn't seem like he came into the turn too fast or with a bad line. I think his peg may have just scraped the track and that tiny mistake was enough to send the bike down. Just one of those things that can happen when riding on the limit like they all are.

Both Casey and Lorenzo chucked it off at almost every track in their first year but no one ever doubted their speed. I think Mario Andretti said " You can teach control, you can't teach speed."

Dead Man

It was a funny crash because it didn't seem like he came into the turn too fast or with a bad line. I think his peg may have just scraped the track and that tiny mistake was enough to send the bike down. Just one of those things that can happen when riding on the limit like they all are.

Yeah, good point.

caramac

I don't think it was a peg to be honest, the lean angle would be beyond physics for a peg to be anywhere near the track surface on a MotoGP bike. He just lost the front imo, he didn't need to be pushing that hard really.

Gif time.......

ixCvMiJ6TuTMn.gif

iRzmx0ptcd1Ep.gif

iZeI4it0K4emB.gif

imLpDatsb5xpn.gif

modulaire

TT Dainese Superbike Race results

1. Michael Dunlop (131.17mph final lap - Michael Dunlop will be the man to beat in the next few years)
2. Cameron Donald + 40.37
3. John McGuinness + 1:21.92 (60 second penalty - 131.671 final lap - new outright lap record)
4. Guy Martin + 1:28.91
5. Conor Cummins + 2:00.94
6. Michael Rutter + 2:04.69
7. James Hillier + 2:14.81
8. Bruce Anstey + 2:33.99
9. William Dunlop + 3:28.50
10. Josh Brookes + 4:09.60 (fantastic result - fastest newcomer ever - 127.726mph final lap)

from the IOMTT forums

Business

It's disappointing we don't get to see better footage of the Rossi/Bautista and Marquez crashes. Impossible to judge with these camera angles.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It's disappointing we don't get to see better footage of the Rossi/Bautista and Marquez crashes. Impossible to judge with these camera angles.

Yes, cam coverage is not that great in MotoGP. Probably due to Dorna. And they are monitoring all video websites as crazy, videos are pulled in matter of minutes.

But this season in MotoGP could be fun ride, there are 4 drivers in 32 points. Redding in Moto2 is leading for 42 points, if my math is correct, but all can happen in Moto2 as well.

Top Bottom