• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

caramac

It's disappointing we don't get to see better footage of the Rossi/Bautista and Marquez crashes. Impossible to judge with these camera angles.

Here's one from the helicopter cam of the Rossi/Bautista incident.

Bautista is circled.

iPSXn964RXUbI.gif

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There is incredible documentary about Isle of Man, called "TT3D Closer to the Edge". It can be found on Youtube.

Chris R

Nice second place for JPM, might even make this a good season compared to the crap past ones.

Still would like to see him get the monkey off his back before he is done in NASCAR though.

Addnan

Marquez crashed? What lap. I think I fell asleep just as he overtook Pedrosa. How did I fall asleep in the middle of the day lol.

moojito

Nice second place for JPM, might even make this a good season compared to the crap past ones.

Still would like to see him get the monkey off his back before he is done in NASCAR though.

I'm sure he would if he had a bit of consistency. Too many races spent in the 20+ spots. That there's Danica country!

Mastah

Comedy gold in Indycar race, Bourdais taps Power into spin, causes multi car pile-up behind and on the next lap Power throwes his gloves at Bourdais' car :lol

It was a funny crash because it didn't seem like he came into the turn too fast or with a bad line. I think his peg may have just scraped the track and that tiny mistake was enough to send the bike down. Just one of those things that can happen when riding on the limit like they all are.

Thought maybe he kissed the curb with his peg. Really hard to say. I haven't seen any comments from him. Rossi/Bautista, it seemed obviously Bautista's fault, but he would have seen him there. It's kind of hard to believe he'd just tip it in. If Bautista claims he came out of nowhere, I don't know what the hell he was looking at the whole way through the corner.

Man, what another nail biter for Montoya again. You could tell by his line that he wasn't going to have the car to do it. He had lost the bottom. They've made huge gains with their cars though. He's right there, but when you're not Hendrick or JGR, the window of opportunity doesn't open very often, or for very long.

Haven't watched either Indycar race yet. Going to do that shortly.

The big problem with getting wins in NASCAR these days (really the last 15 years) is that all the intermediate tracks are basically dominated by equipment. And those tracks make up about half the schedule. JPM -- who's a talented dude
who crashed into a jet dryer
in slightly lesser equipment -- basically has no shot to win on those tracks. So he's left with the more technical tracks: short tracks, road courses, Dover, Darlington... there aren't enough places on today's schedule where the driver is the most important piece of the puzzle.

Basically, free Rockingham and Wilkesboro and ...

Tekniqs

Marquez said he doesn't know what happened exactly, he went in as hard as in the previous laps and suddenly lost both wheels at the same time.

good thing he has telemetry to look over

gah damn..alvaro wtf man! valencia, lorenzo, now rossi...fucking hell dude

I don't think it was a peg to be honest, the lean angle would be beyond physics for a peg to be anywhere near the track surface on a MotoGP bike. He just lost the front imo, he didn't need to be pushing that hard really.

Yeah your right actually, something definitely did scrape though as there were sparks but yeah it was a pretty stock standard front end lose. Lucky for him, he lowsided, I don't know if his body could have taken another big crash. Regarding him pushing harder then he had too, you could be right but I just think that's him, all or nothing.

Yes, cam coverage is not that great in MotoGP. Probably due to Dorna. And they are monitoring all video websites as crazy, videos are pulled in matter of minutes.

But this season in MotoGP could be fun ride, there are 4 drivers in 32 points. Redding in Moto2 is leading for 42 points, if my math is correct, but all can happen in Moto2 as well.

The coverage has pretty much remained unchanged in the 15 or so years I have been following it. Certain venues definitely have better camera coverage then others, Mugello being one of the better ones imo. That shot at the end of the straight where the come over that rise is just spectacular. Moto2 and Moto3 are both awesome championships, I love watching them just as much as the main event.

NSFW. Bradley Smith just posted pic of his finger:

https://twitter.com/BradleySmith38/status/341265326698283008

Geez, these guys are really something else :O Racing with half of your finger missing? No problem.

Yeah its a brutal sport on the body. Pretty much every rider has had serious injuries that will affect them for life.Considering all the crashes they have, often at high speed, it really is a testament to how tough the gear is they wear. When I one day get back into riding, I want a full race suit, even if I just ride on the road.

Daryl Beatties foot always freaks me out. He doesn't do it any more, but when he started broadcasting he would show it off every now and then, he has like a flipper, some toes chopped, and the other fused.

Have you seen the crash where in happened? It was in Le Mans, braking into a turn and his boot got caught in the chain. It just tore the point of his boot off, you could see it fly the other way as he went down.

Thought maybe he kissed the curb with his peg. Really hard to say. I haven't seen any comments from him. Rossi/Bautista, it seemed obviously Bautista's fault, but he would have seen him there. It's kind of hard to believe he'd just tip it in. If Bautista claims he came out of nowhere, I don't know what the hell he was looking at the whole way through the corner.

Yep that's exactly what I thought. He would have been looking through the corner and Rossi would have been in his peripheral. Even if he wasn't, at that point in the race, you have to be more careful. Definitely on Bautista that one, I just feel sorry for Valentino, guy can't catch a break.

Tekniqs prediction of Pedrosa to win the championship is looking good. While I am still backing Marquez, if Pedrosa wins I will be happy. He has been unlucky over the course his career at times but always had the talent, I like the guy too.

Somebody uploaded the ITV4 footage from the Dainese Superbike TT race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGhWqc_pRFQ

Thanks a lot for this. Anyone see Cam Donalds beard? He looks like he is in his 50's lol

TJP

The post race article on Motomatters pretty much sums up the Rossi crash nicely: http://motomatters.com/analysis/2013/06/03/2013_mugello_motogp_round_up_part_1_lore.html

So whose fault was it? Race Direction called it as a racing incident, a verdict with which both Bautista and Rossi seemed to agree, though Rossi was still fuming that he was collected and dumped in the kitty litter. He did his best to not blame Bautista, while all the time blaming Bautista.

What appears to have happened is that Bautista hugged the inside line round turn 2, which Rossi used to his advantage, passing around the outside. When the track flicked back, they were two men on different bikes headed for the same piece of tarmac, and a collision was inevitable. Was Bautista to blame? Only insofar as he didn't look right when trying to close the gap. Was Rossi to blame? Well if you don't want to get caught up on traffic at the start, you want to ensure first and foremost that you are not mid-pack with the pychos when the red flag drops. Rossi's poor qualifying is making it very hard for him to get anywhere near the front runners, and if he's not near, he will find it hard to battle for a podium.

This was a racing incident. It wasn't a pretty one, and it definitely wrecked any chance Rossi may have had of scoring a podium.

Dead Man

Have you seen the crash where in happened? It was in Le Mans, braking into a turn and his boot got caught in the chain. It just tore the point of his boot off, you could see it fly the other way as he went down.

No, I've never seen it, not sure if I want to after the way you describe it :)

He may be a bit dull, and have a giant fucking head, but he's okay, at least he doesn't try and hype up the smallest little thing like so many professional commentators do.

Looks like Volvo are set to enter the V8 Supercars series with GRM.

Linky

Not really sure if it's a "factory" effort like Nissan or just buy a car and make it a V8 Supercar Erebus/Merc, but it seems to imply it has the blessing of at least Volvo Australia. I wonder with Ford on the way out will this be the Ford family replacement while the Taurus comes on stream.

They should bring back the station wagon/estate though! Beast.

5Dm950c.jpg

Dead Man

Volvo is good but if that's what their current styling is this generation? Fuuuuuck no. That's the ugliest car I've ever seen.

They'll look generic as hell once the body kit gets slapped on. Same as the rest. Not a fan of the current direction of V8SC in that sense.

Shaneus

They'll look generic as hell once the body kit gets slapped on. Same as the rest. Not a fan of the current direction of V8SC in that sense.
Well, all a part of that unified rollcage thing or whatever, I guess. You're right though, I wish they were a little more obviously whatever make they are and not just "something" with a shitload of advertising on it. At least the Merc has a slightly different spoiler than the rest.

Shaneus

Holy shit. Grand-Am Rolex Sportscar Series is actually being shown in Australia. In HD.

Can't get F1 live in HD, but we can get this. It's great, but fucking hell they need to get their priorities in order.

Dead Man

Holy shit. Grand-Am Rolex Sportscar Series is actually being shown in Australia. In HD.

Can't get F1 live in HD, but we can get this. It's great, but fucking hell they need to get their priorities in order.

Hey, excellent. I wish the tracks sounds were louder, I can barely hear the cars over the commentary. Cool stuff though.

Edit: Those GT cars look fantastic.

Nationwide Series race delayed until 11:00am tomorrow.

So I'm going to Pocono tomorrow and got really excited about getting an extra race for free. Then, I realized that the last time this happened it was the ARCA and Truck series, which made me realize that nationwide isn't at pocono this weekend :/

B.K.

More rain at Iowa. If they get the track dried, they'll be racing at the same time as the Cup Series. I don't remember that ever happening before.

I love the look with the lower front fenders. Is that a reg change, or a design choice? I knew they were talking about lowering the fenders for visibility, but I'm not on top of the ACO's plans. Seems narrower too, but that may be an illusion.

I love the look with the lower front fenders. Is that a reg change, or a design choice? I knew they were talking about lowering the fenders for visibility, but I'm not on top of the ACO's plans. Seems narrower too, but that may be an illusion.

Yeah, the new regs dictate that visibility be improved both by increasing the driver's seat height, and lowering the fenders. The tires are smaller in diameter and width than the rear-fronts teams have been running lately, which were responsible for the high front fenders in the first place. Your eyes aren't deceiving you, either; LMPs will be 10 cm narrower next year.

Yeah, the new regs dictate that visibility be improved both by increasing the driver's seat height, and lowering the fenders. The tires are smaller in diameter and width than the rear-fronts teams have been running lately, which were responsible for the high front fenders in the first place. Your eyes aren't deceiving you, either; LMPs will be 10 cm narrower next year.

I just looked at a few more pics, and I see what you mean about the wheel size - quite a bit smaller. The current cars are sick too, obviously. So, so menacing, but this looks a lot more raceable.

Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom