• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NBA2K9 GAF Season...6(?) Thread!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Played two incredible games with Smokey tonight. I think we have some really really good sliders guys.
We played 8 minute quarters and both of us had a stretch at the end of the 3rd and into the first minutes of the 4th where our entire lineups were bench players. We both had to rest our top players for a quick breather in the second too. Just a quick one but I had Bron at 3 bars of energy in the second. First time I've seen that so far.

I'll upload the team stats tomorrow. I took a quick pick just to show how balanced everything was.

dave trust me, you can cheese in these games. the league games play a lot better than random assholes. you may think you can't cheese in NBA 2k, but you know how ranked players cheese in madden? it's the same degree here, dont worry friend you will obliterate me.... 42-34

Smokey

Truelize said:
Played two incredible games with Smokey tonight. I think we have some really really good sliders guys.
We played 8 minute quarters and both of us had a stretch at the end of the 3rd and into the first minutes of the 4th where our entire lineups were bench players. We both had to rest our top players for a quick breather in the second too. Just a quick one but I had Bron at 3 bars of energy in the second. First time I've seen that so far.

I'll upload the team stats tomorrow. I took a quick pick just to show how balanced everything was.

I was online all day from about 130p until 1215am playing NBA2k9. Yes some of the connection issues are still there however today was BY FAR the best day in terms of getting through to custom game lobby to play against others and connecting in ranked matches.

I think we've got some good sliders. Here's a rundown of the sliders I came up with that True is referring to:

Close range - 42
Mid range - 46
3PT - 46
Quickness - 40
Clutch - 47
Stamina - 45
Ball Handling - 45
Steal - 45
Def. awareness - turned down a few notches can't remember how much off the top of my head

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. This is online sliders not offline. Also Hall of Fame 8 minute quarters.

One other topic. I went to make the league tonight and there's a problem with the number of teams. Right now we have 23(aka dropped). Well you can only create the league in even numbers obviously so unless we can get one more person to join (AHEM MATRIX) then I'll have to make it at 22 and the last person to join will be put on list if as a replacement if one of the owners drops out.

Here are the settings for the league when it does get made:

Hall of Fame difficulty
Custom Sliders (see above)
8 minute quarters
30 game season

Playoff settings:
16 team playoff
Conference quarter finals : Best of 5
Conference semifinals : Best of 5
Conference Finals : Best of 7
GAF Championship : Best of 7

I encourage you all to play against other GAFfers using the league sliders to get a feel for them, and to offer suggestions for changes you think should be made. I'm pretty much always on and my GT = dboythagr8

Please please please send a FR to NBA2K9 GAF Leag (yes that is correct spelling).

^^^When you do that I will accept the FR and you can click on that tag on your FR...view friends to see who all is online from our league.

Mrbob

16 team playoff in a 22 man league and I'll still more than likely miss them! :lol

What about making all playoff series best of 7? That's how its done in the real nba right?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
True offered me a good deal,but I honestly don't have the time to go to my shitty Gamestop this week to trade in the game I just bought.In fact I don't plan on going back there till I have to pick up my copy of Left 4 Dead.

I knew as soon as my bro bought the 360 home you guys would make me feel like crap.

ecnal

:(

i hope we can find someone else to join the league.

btw, i can't add GAF NBA2K9 Leag--says it's not a legit gamertag.

Smokey

Mrbob said:
16 team playoff in a 22 man league and I'll still more than likely miss them! :lol

What about making all playoff series best of 7? That's how its done in the real nba right?

Yes. I dunno I think the quarters and semi's should be best of 5 to kind of speed up the process to get to the 2 huge series, the conference finals and finals. You still have to win 3 games which is harder than it sounds when everybody is playing for real (not saying people don't in regular season just sayin:D ).

Matrix said:
True offered me a good deal,but I honestly don't have the time to go to my shitty Gamestop this week to trade in the game I just bought.In fact I don't plan on going back there till I have to pick up my copy of Left 4 Dead.

I knew as soon as my bro bought the 360 home you guys would make me feel like crap.

Can't say we didn't try to get you back!

ecnal said:
:(

i hope we can find someone else to join the league.

btw, i can't add GAF NBA2K9 Leag--says it's not a legit gamertag.

My fault I was tired, the correct tag is NBA2K9 GAF Leag

It's been fixed in my post a few up as well.

pheeniks said:
Exactly what is or how big is the difference between shot close 50 and shot close 42? Always wondered.

At 50, which is default pretty much every close shot will go in. I was just messing with the sliders and 42 was the number where everything wasn't automatic but at the same time there wasn't an abundance of missed buckets.

I tested this with Yao because really all I have to do is get Yao somewhat in mid-range and and in post position and it's over...if it's on default sliders. On 42 he'll still make his shots (he's still 94 rated after all) but it's not as automatic as 50. And some other shots when you get in the lane and there's 4 people down there trying to swat the ball to the first row..don't automatically go in.

Try em and see what you think.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Smokey: clutch should drop down to between 44 and 42. Clutch is the rubberband A.I. crap. I encourage comebacks and drama but at default the game does some interesting things to the winning team to balance things out.

Defensive awareness should be 44 or 45. Not a huge drop but this might give us more time for those open jumpers. Too many times I see defenders recovering too quickly. It also drops the magic tips and steals that non player controlled players get.

Even a drop of 5 effects the game enough to notice a difference. Close shots are the thing we are trying to really control. Simple example is from my game with Smokey last night. Because Yao actually missed a couple of short jumpers Smokey had to think about who to give the ball to when he was looking for a much needed bucket. Where as with the default sliders if you need a bucket you just push the ball inside to a big man and push the stick up.

We might change the sliders up a bit as we go too, but I think we've got a great start.

Matrix: no one is trying to make you feel bad. But you had to know that when everyone from our leagues is still purchasing the 360 version the likelihood of us trying to influence you to trade in your game is pretty freakin high.
You have a working 360, a Xbox Live membership and 23 guys that want to play in a league with you.
You really happy with just playing randoms online and playing association mode? Cause if you are then carry on.
I'm just saying. :D

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
matrix's 2k blog update 10/15/08 -

True,I don't like the way the game plays online this year.I only played one random game and it was beyond awful.I know our leagues are not like that,but I was still turned off by the interface and how the game felt more sluggish that any 2k before.Also at this point I know this will sound strange,but after playing 2k8 on the PS3 for so long I feel more comfortable with the Dual Shock now when it comes to doing iso moves and shooting.I just tried the 360 demo and it felt really strange :(

Ive also been playing my brother who's been coming over more.Plus now I have NCAA Dynasty and the Madden league which I have to finish,so I was content with waiting for season 2 to possibly play in a NBA 360 league.I also continue to play MLB Show games against Fifty and random NHL games online.

Get someone to buy me a copy of the 360 version and I'll be happy to send my PS3 to them to trade it in at their local game store :p

I just really don't have time to make a trip to Gamestop again and truthfully don't even want to.

daw840

Matrix said:
matrix's 2k blog update 10/15/08 -

True,I don't like the way the game plays online this year.I only played one random game and it was beyond awful.I know our leagues are not like that,but I was still turned off by the interface and how the game felt more sluggish that any 2k before.Also at this point I know this will sound strange,but after playing 2k8 on the PS3 for so long I feel more comfortable with the Dual Shock now when it comes to doing iso moves and shooting.I just tried the 360 demo and it felt really strange :(

Ive also been playing my brother who's been coming over more.Plus now I have NCAA Dynasty and the Madden league which I have to finish,so I was content with waiting for season 2 to possibly play in a NBA 360 league.I also continue to play MLB Show games against Fifty and random NHL games online.

Get someone to buy me a copy of the 360 version and I'll be happy to send my PS3 to them to trade it in at their local game store :p

I just really don't have time to make a trip to Gamestop again and truthfully don't even want to.

Holy shit man, is gamestop like hours away from you? You keep saying it's a "trip." Like you have to pack an overnight bag or something.:D

Mrbob

Matrix said:
*drama and tears*

We all told you we were getting this on 360. WTF. :D You just scurrd of my rise to power in NBA2K.

Matrix

It's not hours away.I just don't have time,you see me post here a lot cause I work at home.I also don't like the store.My old gamestop that was only 5 blocks away closed up and that was the one I always used in the past.

Bob,it really doesn't matter to me if I play or not in the first league.I knew most were getting the 360 version,but some people flopped on me and I had no clue I would be getting a 360 right now.I had always thought of trading it in for a league 2 if I even did that.

Hell Fifty told me he was getting the PS3 version and decided that he wasn't getting the game at all and then you who never gets 2k bball games anymore goes out and gets a 360 copy.

You live in NYC don't you Matrix? There's probably some underground shit going on where you could get the game for free. I encourage you to join whatever faction...

this post made no sense

Matrix

peerpressure-1.jpg

But not this time!!!

DCX

DCX
If we really want him to play, pony up 5 dollars a head buy the game and ship it to him, band together like a brohood.

DCX

Smokey

:lol :lol Matrix is determined. Just do it man!

Well, I just created the league which is now at 22. Encal I will keep you in mind if we have someone who flakes on us (there's always one!) and if you want you can hop in and take their spot.

Here is what I set league sliders to:

Close shot - 42
Mid range - 47
3Pt - 45
Off Awareness - 51
Def Awareness - 45
Clutch Factor - 45
Speed- 45
Quickness - 45
Stamina - 43

Name of league is simple : GAF League
I'll PM you guys the password

You can register for it on your computer :
actually you can't do it this year online...gotta go through console

I'd highly recommend linking your GT with 2k.com. You'll be able to do everything on the league website that you could in the game. Propose trades, check stats, adjust lineups etc, check standings etc.

Smokey

DCX said:
how do i sign in?

DCX

Ah nvm it appears they took out that ability to do it online this year. So you all will have to do it through the 360.

I sent everybody the pw so it's out of my hands!

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
I linked my GT to 2k's site. Looks like we can only join the league from our console, though, and not via the website. I'll plan registering for the league tonight.
EDIT: Ha, yeah, suppose it would help to refresh the thread before posting old news. :|

ecnal

Smokey said:
Encal I will keep you in mind if we have someone who flakes on us (there's always one!) and if you want you can hop in and take their spot.

ya, i'd still be interested. let me know--i'll probably follow the thread to see how the league develops.

Smokey

Mrbob said:
You going to post the sliders online for download?

I've been having trouble all day connecting to 2KShare or w/e it's called. I've been trying throughout the day since you mentioned it earlier so I dunno. I've been able to play a couple games online today, but when I've tried to connect with 2KShare I've been having issues.

I'll try again here in a few.

Wow I'm messing around on the league website and they added sooo much more detail. When you click on a team you can look at that users shooting zones from the floor, their starting lineup, team leaders, league ranking, the trades they've made and any team videos they've uploaded.

In fact there's a whole section labeled media at the top that looks we can use to upload any league highlights. And now that there are conferences it lists the teams like you would see on say ESPN, and has a * by division leader and letters (x,y,z) that tell you who has clinched playoff spot, division, and conference respectably.

Pretty cool:D

daw840

Well, creating a player match still freezes my box up. When it goes through, that is. It says not able to join lobby about 15 times before it appears to go through and then locks up my Xbox. How the fuck does a company let a game be distributed like this? Were they just pressed for time because of NBA Live?

daw840 said:
Well, creating a player match still freezes my box up. When it goes through, that is. It says not able to join lobby about 15 times before it appears to go through and then locks up my Xbox. How the fuck does a company let a game be distributed like this? Were they just pressed for time because of NBA Live?
new servers to accomodate the 5vs5 online play.
who's down tonight?:D

Smokey

daw840 said:

Of course. It makes sense from a business perspective to get your title out the same day as your competition, especially in this digital day and age where you can fix issues with a patch.

This way you still get $$$ and take sales away from your competitor.

HOWEVER FOR US this sucks ass.

daw are you using a router or connecting directly to your 360? If you're on a router, try assigning you 360 to the DMZ of your particular router.

viakado said:
new servers to accomodate the 5vs5 online play.
who's down tonight?:D

I want to try this. When are you trying to play?

Smokey said:
Of course. It makes sense from a business perspective to get your title out the same day as your competition, especially in this digital day and age where you can fix issues with a patch.

daw are you using a router or connecting directly to your 360? If you're on a router, try assigning you 360 to the DMZ of your particular router.

an hour. 7pm PST!
and who ever i haven't played yet. let's do this shit!

GT: viakado

daw840

Smokey said:

It's a router. But I have forwarded the ports if that's what you are saying.

Smokey

Celtics!!!

For 5 players the Celtics would be a better squad than the Lakers.

Can we until 730pst/930 central to play?

The presidential debate is actually good.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
DMczaf said:
I love me some KoMe.

If you dont do Kobe justice ill score three kick off returns for TD on you in NCAA when we play later on in the season

Top Bottom