• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NBA2K9 GAF Season...6(?) Thread!

i think the pip issue is too stressed. there are unrealistic stats all over the damn place

i personally don't care what my opponent does. i think i can stop anything thrown at me..i'm just really frustrated when people somehow make contested shit and i don't.

AirBrian

pheeniks said:
i think the pip issue is too stressed. there are unrealistic stats all over the damn place

i personally don't care what my opponent does. i think i can stop anything thrown at me..i'm just really frustrated when people somehow make contested shit and i don't.

PIP has come up several times this year and a team (maybe two) even took a loss for going over. I think it needs to be addressed.

DiddyBop

kirby also has a point. as is tated earlier,the game gives you alot of weapons for the midrange game. after a quick crossover animation there is a slight window where the defender is frozen and leaves you open for a good shot,there are a bunch of other little things to discover also.

its the same with defense,its not all about just pressing the button and hoping for the best,there are tons of diff factors involved, and we really need to enforce thi rule because some of you barely play any man on man D. i find it very just that the man who played on ball d all the time and never went over the pip limit won the chip.

AirBrian

DiddyBop said:
its the same with defense,its not all about just pressing the button and hoping for the best,there are tons of diff factors involved, and we really need to enforce thi rule because some of you barely play any man on man D. i find it very just that the man who played on ball d all the time and never went over the pip limit won the chip.
This.

I think it should be required and not just a recommendation that you play mostly on-the-ball or manual D.

AirBrian said:
PIP has come up several times this year and a team (maybe two) even took a loss for going over. I think it needs to be addressed.

i agree. i just wish there was a way to stop players like michael fucking beasley from scoring points in a 32 minute game.

i'm not accusing cerrius of anything so don't take it like that. but if anybody can score 71 points in 32 minutes something is clearly wrong

DiddyBop

viakado said:
hmmmm.....give me calderon, pls.
you are a fiend for trades:lol

and the pip doesnt really need to change,people's tendencies need to change. ppl were complaining about daw early on,he adjusted his gameplan and still continued to win games.

and im glad air brian agrees with me. if i wanted to play the computer id jus play association.this league is about competing against human opponents,both on offense AND defense.

AirBrian

pheeniks said:
i agree. i just wish there was a way to stop players like michael fucking beasley from scoring points in a 32 minute game.

i'm not accusing cerrius of anything so don't take it like that. but if anybody can score 71 points in 32 minutes something is clearly wrong
It's weird to me that you're complaining about Beasley. I'm really not sure how to reply here... :lol

DiddyBop

i think its just cause cerrius perfected using beasley. i dont care that he scored 71 pts in a game,i just find it odd that it was capable in 32 mins:lol doesnt he ever get tired?! i wish i coulda spectated that game. cerrius is mostly likely the best beasley player in the world.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
pheeniks said:
viakado
i'll take the bucks and give you redd for your star player

the bucks are awful. Redd sucks. All the point guards cant hit an open jumper. Richard Jefferson is streaky as hell. Bogut and Villanueva are possibly the softest 1-2 big men in the game.

ecnal

kirbybreezy said:
If you guys start doing scrimmages trying to prove some exploit in the game - like shooting threes with Boozer when Korver is not hitting, or wide open shots vs. contested shots I think the results will be skewed and you will tend to get the results that you wanted to get in the first place.

boozer should never be able to hit a three with defenders in his face (let alone a 3 in general). i think i've been pretty effective with korver throughout the season. i know his release, i know where he generally shoots better from, and i've dropped some pretty nice numbers with him over the season--most of his career highs coming in the post-season. however, i've still encountered a number of different games with him in which his shot selection is the same, the defense is the same (as in he's taking wide open shoots on set plays or on the fastbreak), but the results differ radically. smokey was in that game... all he could say was crazy. i mean there is something fishy when you watch certain set plays with dead-eye shooters missing wide open shots, and then boozer rips a 3 in a defender's face.

there is also no exploit, there is something fundamentally broken with the actual engine/code itself. there are still instances in which the game deals a team a horrible shooting % for no apparent reason--it doesn't matter if you got all your shots of screens, it doesn't matter if you got all wide open shots on the fast break, etc. everyone has experienced it (even smokey) and my only intent by shooting retarded shots with boozer was to emphasize the dice roll mechanics that the game employs to try and stay within the realm of sim.

IMO, boozer made ridiculous shots because the game was balancing out the shooting %. it's the same reason some people make ridiculous contested shots and miss wide open ones. tbh, i only stumbled upon this idea when i was playing another friend who couldn't make a single shot--he literally was missing wide open fastbreak layups (no defender present on screen) with fisher. in his frustration he started jacking up super long jumpers/3s with pau--who ended up shooting over 50% and dropped 50 something points. i'm trying to make the distinction that i never came into this idea with some preconceived notion. i've witnessed it before, and was curious if it was a reoccurring scenario or if it was just random from that one game.

however, im also not claiming that this is some kind of 100% occurrence, but i have seen it happen a number of different times with a number of different teams--all with the same trademark indication that something is wrong: knock down shooters missing almost all their shots. it also doesn't seem that far fetched to think that the mechanics of the game were trying to balance out shooting. it's just my theory on how the game works--who knows how correct or incorrect it is. i can only make guesses based off what i see though, and some of what i've seen in this game is beyond absurdity and the realm of sim.

im really not trying to argue with you or anything like that. i think it's really difficult to comment on that game when you didn't see what was happening. hopefully smokey can comment because there were some seriously strange things going on in that game...

also, good points on the higher shot %'s from those positions that you listed. :D

edit: i should also note that these drastic shooting woes only happen on HOF, but i'm not entirely sure what HOF difficulty entails (game change wise from other difficulties).

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
AirBrian said:
So can someone then explain why it's fair or realistic using a hard number (say 50 points) when there's such a discrepancy amongst the teams in offensive output?

Teams that score less on average per game (like me) get 50 PIP when they only average 70 total. That's over 71% of your total points.

Then the teams who score more per game, still only get 50 PIP but they average 85-90 PPG, which is about 55% of your total points.
There is no real solution. Percentage has as much fault as does a hard number. Both do not address the reason why a PIP rule was implemented in the first place which was people cheesing their way to wins. But I don't think anyone in this league would do that, and if they did, they would get called out for doing it. If it happens enough, that person would get booted. But I simply hate the notion of having a limit on PIP since some can skew things in their favor by putting their perimeter defense on a tight setting and basically force poor teams to take bad shots and limit the number of times they can go to the layup (which is what a team that is getting pressed on the perimeter would do in reality).

CB3

why does this remind me of the Bosh Vs Amare BS that goes on every other day in the NBA thread

CB3

it means no one is gonna win so why argue about it. there is no real way to make it better. the system is fine how it is

ecnal

DenogginizerOS said:
Since some of us don't know what that means, could you enlighten us?

post up bosh's numbers every game, post up amare's numbers every game, and fight.

bosh: bosh is a loser, they're sub .500, he only goes off on weak teams, etc.
amare: he wants to be the man but he's a bitch, only good because he's surrounded by great players, only goes off on weak teams, etc.

that about sums it up.

DenogginizerOS

Well, if the rule for PIP is not changing, then I am out. That is not meant as some sort of ultimatum. I just don't want to play having to look at that stat or more importantly, get caught up in a game and beat someone only to discover I went over the PIP rule. In fact, before this draft gets too far along, I will save the time and frustration and withdraw my name from the league because I happen to think the system isn't fine.

DenogginizerOS said:
Well, if the rule for PIP is not changing, then I am out. That is not meant as some sort of ultimatum. I just don't want to play having to look at that stat or more importantly, get caught up in a game and beat someone only to discover I went over the PIP rule. In fact, before this draft gets too far along, I will save the time and frustration and withdraw my name from the league because I happen to think the system isn't fine.
dude, chillax. smokey mentioned about changes. most of us here..i think, want change.
Yes, We can! who's with me?
if anyone wants change about the PIP, its me. decide after what smokey says.

DenogginizerOS

viakado said:
dude, chillax. smokey mentioned about changes. most of us here..i think, want change.
Yes, We can! who's with me?
No worries. In all honesty, I think it would be best if I sit out. I get the sense that most are fine with the rule as it is, and I really don't know if I can make a commitment to the league if I am not all that competitive. I clearly need to learn more about how to play this game and I fear I will only subject myself to frustration as I try to find a balance between wanting to win and also trying to keep my PIP stats in check. It is probably best.

Mrbob

Well we should probably wait to pick teams if things aren't fully settled yet.

Otherwise it will screw up the selection process.

If Denogg take the Celtics now, but decides not to play, then someone else ahead of him might have taken the Celtics instead of a different team. Then we will have to select all over again.

Better to lock this down now.

I agree with everything you said ecnal. I've had my theories and frustrations about the possible dice roll and/or rubber banding field goal % but, what can you do?

I actually get motivated trying to play through some of the BS that can occur.

When Roy was making literally less than 10% of his mid-range/long range shots in the Championship series. I sat him.

Tried to get other players to get me back in the game and make it competitive.

Then bring him back off the bench and try it again.

The thing is, when stuff goes awry in 2k you feel cheated by the system.
But if it was a real life game, you'd just consider it an off night or week etc.

We just gotta play through it.

DenogginizerOS said:
No worries. In all honesty, I think it would be best if I sit out. I get the sense that most are fine with the rule as it is, and I really don't know if I can make a commitment to the league if I am not all that competitive. I clearly need to learn more about how to play this game and I fear I will only subject myself to frustration as I try to find a balance between wanting to win and also trying to keep my PIP stats in check. It is probably best.

DiddyBop said:
dude, you have the orlando magic! why would you need to worry about pip with bogans,peitrus,shard,turk,nelson, and reddick?!
this. Denog, even if you stay, you probably have the best set of chuckers in the league. i highly doubt PIP would ever be an issue for you.

ecnal

kirbybreezy said:
I agree with everything you said ecnal. I've had my theories and frustrations about the possible dice roll and/or rubber banding field goal % but, what can you do?

I actually get motivated trying to play through some of the BS that can occur.

When Roy was making literally less than 10% of his mid-range/long range shots in the Championship series. I sat him.

Tried to get other players to get me back in the game and make it competitive.

Then bring him back off the bench and try it again.

But if it was a real life game, you'd just consider it an off night or week etc.

agreed on all points.

maybe they'll change it for 2K10! :lol

although i kind of wonder, what does HOF do to the way the game handles FG %'s? i've NEVER experienced shooting woes on any of the other difficulties... which kind of leads me to a possibly insane notion: maybe we play on a difficulty lower, and adjust the sliders accordingly?

DiddyBop

kirbybreezy said:

see,this is where it gets fuzzy,this is not real life,its a videogame,i want to be rewarded for getting an open jumpshot with a perfect release. i dont want my team to be up by 20 int he 4th then suddenly get rubberband'd into a potential loss.

but on the other side,i do want this game to be as close to the real nba as possible,and that does include missing wide open shots and teams going on runs,so in conclusion,i have no idea what i want:lol

About the PIP rule.

We all know that a %PIP will be problematic.

And as much as some of you dont like the flat 50 rule, I think we all agree there does need to be some type of limit.

I feel like second chance points should not be taken into account at all.

What if someone bricks a shot, gets rebound kicks it out for a three.

If this happens a number of times, than the actual PIP values will be eaten away by long range gunning.

If its a simple put back, I think its even more important that that goes towards the actual PIP and is not subtracted.

I have one idea where if you go over 50, its not an automatic loss. but every point you go over is subtracted from your total score. So you will lose if your opponent ends up having the higher score.

Don't know if this will help or hurt, but. Say you can't make jumpers so you work from the inside out to bring yourself back into the game, or draw fouls etc. Then people start heating up and you end up winning by 6-8 points with 54 PIP. Even if you went over and lost because of it, I think it could be a cool dynamic. Esp if we dont subtract second chance points anymore

edit: on second thought, don't know if this is any better than what we had in season six, it could be abused.

DCX

DCX
The Lakers give me a better chance at contending than NOH. The Hornets are the sexy pick and i jumped the gun. I'm locked in with the Lakers.

DCX

ecnal

DiddyBop said:
see,this is where it gets fuzzy,this is not real life,its a videogame,i want to be rewarded for getting an open jumpshot with a perfect release. i dont want my team to be up by 20 int he 4th then suddenly get rubberband'd into a potential loss.

but on the other side,i do want this game to be as close to the real nba as possible,and that does include missing wide open shots and teams going on runs,so in conclusion,i have no idea what i want:lol

i think the game can have both, but it often takes it to an extreme.

i mean people should definitely not be shooting 100%, regardless if all the looks are open.

by the same token, someone shouldn't shoot in the teens when all their looks are open just because they're already shooting a high % or because their guy is "cold."

tbh, if the game just rubber-banded people within like 40-60% FG, and based it off the look and release of the shot we wouldn't be having this conversation...

edit: actually thinking about this, almost all the other difficulty levels hold true to this. so what's the difference with HOF?

DenogginizerOS

Do any of you (that can comment) think you will abuse PIP if there is no rule? More importantly, has it been proven that you can abuse the PIP in this game through some sort of exploit?

DenogginizerOS said:
Do any of you (that can comment) think you will abuse PIP if there is no rule? More importantly, has it been proven that you can abuse the PIP in this game through some sort of exploit?
if i recall, fastbreak points are not PIP. its counted separately. so in that regard, you can exploit by fastbreaking the fuck out without adding to your total PIP....right?

AirBrian said:
It's weird to me that you're complaining about Beasley. I'm really not sure how to reply here... :lol

:lol I'm not complaining about Beasley I just get really pissed when people can drop points with player X like you can't imagine only because the player is easy to use. Cerrius had Beasley as his first option and Wade as his second...that ain't right

Remember JAAAAAAAAAAAAAX from a few seasons ago? Yeah, that...

Smokey

Just caught up with the posts from the last page.

2nd semester just started for me today, so my availability during early afternoon/morning may be a bit limited. Other than that I'll be around like I always am.

So...I see there was a healthy argument over the PIP rule. One thing I can say is that NO PIP rule at all is not an option. There needs to be some kind of regulation on PIP. Very rarely this past season was there an issue with people going over the PIP limit. As the season progressed everybody's game sort of adjusted to the rule, which is what it is supposed to do. I'm still weighing the option of static/dynamic so I don't want to say anything just yet. In fact, I'd like to test it out first before making any kind of big decision like that.

My next topic...manual defense. I feel pretty strongly about this. To me knowing that you're battling with your opponent straight up is an awesome feeling. Makes the game much more competitive IMO. When I see players letting the CPU do the work for them... takes a little bit away from the game. That's the whole point of a league. Kirby probably played the best manual defense I've encountered all season in our championship series, and I liked that. He was able to stay with me pretty consistently in our series. The only time I can see where the manual defense becomes tricky is when it comes to zone. Other than that this is probably issue #2 next to PIP for me personally.

I also want to mess around with the difficulty setting. We've always played on Hall of Fame in our leagues, but I'm wondering if that has a negative effect on the shooting. If it was to be changed it would only go down a notch to Superstar but again...I'd like to try this out first.

Trapping is another item I want to look at. Full court trapping is a no no, but I'm talking about half court. In a case like Beasley where he went off for 71, shouldn't the defense be able to do SOMETHING to try and stop him. As it is now, Kirby wasn't allowed to trap him if he wasn't on the block/in paint.

Trades...I think I'll leave it open as it was last season. Hopefully some of you see the consequences of trading away certain players or trying to achieve a certain play style, and will use that in season 7 to make better trades.

I believe I have the game speed/quickness sliders at 46 each. May raise those a little bit.

Umm...think that's about it unless you all have anything else to add?

Oh and I've reached a decision as to whether I want to hold on to the Rockets or not.

They will return in season 7 under my guidance:D . I'm taking the same stance I took with the Magic...hold on to them until I lose. I was able to win 2 in a row w/ the Magic and that following season Shawn finally beat me with the Spurs in the Finals so I switched teams..and bounced back in season 6.

I believe...that's it..for now.

CB3 said:
your not getting AI this time

A.I. didn't do as much for me as you guys think. He was another superstar, but check his averages especially in the post season. I was never comfortable with his shot release and as a result my shooting % with him were pretty poor. If I recall I was actually undefeated before I acquired A.I. ! It will be an adjustment though having all of my original roster back.

ecnal

Smokey said:
Trapping is another item I want to look at. Full court trapping is a no no, but I'm talking about half court. In a case like Beasley where he went off for 71, shouldn't the defense be able to do SOMETHING to try and stop him. As it is now, Kirby wasn't allowed to trap him if he wasn't on the block/in paint.

i'm kind of curious.

is it okay to score 71 points with a player? maybe traps aren't the issue... maybe dropping 71 points with a player in a sim league is more so the problem...

we made daw change his game because he took all his shots in the paint or from deep, how is taking 48 out of 75 shots with 1 player any different?

just sayin'!

Smokey

ecnal said:
i'm kind of curious.

is it okay to score 71 points with a player? maybe traps aren't the issue... maybe dropping 71 points with a player in a sim league is more so the problem...

we made daw change his game because he took all his shots in the paint or from deep, how is taking 48 out of 70 shots with 1 player any different?

just sayin'!

but it wasn't done in a cheesey manner. I looked at Beasley's shot chart and it was all over the place. If he's hot...he's hot.

Same could be say about Kobe...dropped 81. Games like those are very very rare.

DCX

DCX
Mrbob said:
Too bad DCX you made your choice already stick with it. :lol
FMT's list was unofficial, i'm in the books with Lakers from this morning on. Suck it down haters! :lol :lol :lol

DCX

DiddyBop

smokey,you think you can get the new league lobby up quickly before team changing trades happen to some of our potential teams?:D

Mrbob

Oh wow I didn't even realize the season was over. Congrats Smokey!

Lets get the picking done! :D

Fair warning...I plan on trading all my scrubs for superstar players! Lets make it happen NBAGAF! Let me have the dream of having 12 all star players on my team, and still going .500 for the season! :lol

Mrbob said:
Oh wow I didn't even realize the season was over. Congrats Smokey!

Lets get the picking done! :D

Fair warning...I plan on trading all my scrubs for superstar players! Lets make it happen NBAGAF! Let me have the dream of having 12 all star players on my team, and still going .500 for the season! :lol
who are you picking. let's work something out!

Top Bottom