• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NBA2K9 GAF Season...6(?) Thread!

DCX

DCX
actually i would like to hold my pick til tomorrow after some last minute intrigue. :lol the Hornets are back in the mix...for now.

DCX

AkaBalla said:
Sorry Kirby, had some family issues to deal with. (Mom admitted to the hospital, work, kids etc..)

FMT,

Take me off the draft list, im not returning..

Smokey,

If you ever need a replacement i am willing to fill in if someone drops out like this season. So PM me or send me a message via XBL.

Good luck everyone.

Aw man. God willing she is or will be alright.

Smokey

AkaBalla said:
Sorry Kirby, had some family issues to deal with. (Mom admitted to the hospital, work, kids etc..)

FMT,

Take me off the draft list, im not returning..

Smokey,

If you ever need a replacement i am willing to fill in if someone drops out like this season. So PM me or send me a message via XBL.

Good luck everyone.

Alright man will do. Hope everything is okay.

We've played 2 games and I managed to come out on top in both games. We're rollin' right now..TMAC was upset about all the praise B Roy was getting, and he's puttin' in work to carry his team!

Whats up with Yao airballing wide open layups, and then scoring in traffic no problem lol.

He like got high enough and then slapped the top of the glass on one layup and airballed. I think its a bug

Cerrius said:
pheeniks, who are you picking?

its not who I think it is, is it?

we'll see

they're getting some respect. i don't know if i'll get them :(

and i don't want to use that knowing i could score 71 with beasley and then sucking with him

DiddyBop

what if someone who drafts before yall decides to take a shot at beasley and wade? ;

....naw im playing,but cerrius seems to be a hardcore heat fan,so hopefully he gets them again. but then again you always gotta be prepared to lose them. i have 3 teams in mind,one top tier and 2 lower tier,cant wait till the draft.

1. smokey/kirby
2. dcx - New Orleans Hornets
3. denogg
4. konex - lakers (unless denogg wants them?)
5. airbrian
6. coldblooded
7. zep
8. dmczaf
9. viakado
10. diddy
11. mrbob
12. daw
13. truelize
14. hunter D (you lasted longer in the playoffs is why you're lower)
15 anarchous_one
16. FMT
17. Pheeniks
18. ecnal
19. cerrius
20. ?
21. Malleymal - Jazz (come on guys, more people are better!)
22. birdman
23. chrisjames

Smokey

My journey is complete. We are the Season 6 GAF 2K champs!!!!!

1994_Houston_Rockets_Ring-1.jpg

Well..those first two were won with the Magic, but that's not the point!

Good series kirby. I feel exhausted actually. Focus was on shutting down Brandon Roy and making the other guys beat me. Tracy Lamar had a nice series averaging 29.25 PPG. Yao did his thing, but TMAC was on another level. You definitely went out with a bang. Made a nice comeback in game 4 and had a chance to send it in OT w/ none other than B Roy, but the 3pter was no good at the buzzer.

Overall I think Season 6 was a nice season. Had a lot of players participate and only a few dropouts. Was actually a long season to me (which is fine), and I do feel a bit drained. Tough trying to manage the league AND play at the same time over what...a 2-3 month period.

So hopefully in Season 7 everybody has a better understanding of the game. Now I need to go back and look and see what should be changed, sliders etc.

BUT FOR NOW..I will enjoy my vicotry:D :D

congrats smokey, it appears that the best player won the championship!

smokey the only suggestion i would make is maybe toning down the 3 point shooting and increasing the mid range shooting. or at least tinker around with it!

i PMed denogg, who i assume is picking the celtics, then we can move on with the draft as konex has already told me he is picking the lakers

FrenchMovieTheme said:
congrats smokey, it appears that the best player won the championship!

smokey the only suggestion i would make is maybe toning down the 3 point shooting and increasing the mid range shooting. or at least tinker around with it!

i PMed denogg, who i assume is picking the celtics, then we can move on with the draft as konex has already told me he is picking the lakers
DCX withdrew his pick.
also 3point shooting should be 49.
toning down off rebound a lot more.

DiddyBop

congrats mr.tyrant....you did what you had to do to win the chip. you were cerebral in your approach and it paid off. the only thing i can take away form his season is that you never officially beat me:D i have a feeling next season that little punk von wafer is goin to cuase a lot of problems...and hopefully tmac and yao get inured early on.i wish this game had a hard foul button:lol anyways,congrats sir,well deserved

....lets start drafting!

oh and speed the game up a bit.
-3 point shooting should be toned down a bit,the midrange rating is fine though
-boost inside scoring! i think its a 43 right now,a 47 would be more realistic

ecnal

tbh, 3pt shooting is fine...

top 3 teams were shooting 37%, 36%, and 35%. that's pretty realistic, if not a little low--only low when you look at some of the other teams' 3 point %, but generally fairly realistic.

sliders need very minimal tweaking.

besides that; congrats again smokey.

DiddyBop

yea we did good wit the sliders,they are almost perfect,but there were times when nash would jus park himself at the 3 point line and rip 3s in my face play after play:lol i think my team broke the record for 3 pointers ina agme with 16,which was also equally ridiculous. if anything it would jus need to be adjusted one point,to 49.

ecnal

i don't support lowering 3 pt %. sorry.

especially when i look at what some of the other teams are shooting.

lowest 3 point shooting team in the NBA is shooting 31%.

lowest 3 point shooting team in our league is shooting 24%, and there are 6 teams shooting under 30%.

if anything that's way too low, but it is user determined, so who knows. but lowering it is crazy. it should stay the same.

edit: and the most 3s i hit against you was only 13. record is 19 too btw. and real life record is 23.

ecnal

oh, this argument isn't over.

i'll raise you one by arguing for the increase of 3pt shooting from 50 to 51. since 1 pt doesn't matter :D

srsly though the only thing that really stands out is the offensive rebounds. other than that i think the sliders are really top notch. gj to smokey and everyone who helped him tweak them.

and yes, lets get this draft rolling!

i love the sliders, it has made the game a lot more enjoyable than default or even the sliders i "made" myself in my brief 10-15 game franchise mode.

maybe i just suck at midrange game :(

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Sorry for the delay. But I was on Live all day yesterday playing NHL 09. One could have easily found me there.

I will take take Orlando.

Has there been a change to the PIP rule?

AirBrian

Yeah, I think we need to discuss the PIP situation. Instead of a flat number (like 50 points), how about a percentage (like 50%) instead?

Birdman02

AirBrian said:
Yeah, I think we need to discuss the PIP situation. Instead of a flat number (like 50 points), how about a percentage (like 50%) instead?

I agree with this. I also don't think you should necessarily subtract 2nd chance points....after all, not all 2nd chance points are easy putbacks.

I'm in one other league that has a strict 50% PIP rule (including both 2nd chance and FB points). You really have to run good sets to get open shots, and I think it really helps add to the realism of the game.

DenogginizerOS

I say we not have a PIP rule at all and just use the honor system to manage the league. If someone is constantly abusing a post move or is doing nothing but shoot 3's and catching rebounds for putbacks, we will hear about it. If the person is asked to stop this behavior by the commish, and they ignore it, then they get booted. But to dictate the latter portion of a game with some sort of PIP ceiling will only artificially bolster the chances of strong mid-range to long-range teams and may undercut the weaker teams who may not have all the shooting tools at their disposal.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
yea thats what I need to know about points in the point.. .I run the offense and sometimes I find myself with great cuts under the basket and I dont pass to them because I dont want it to be cheese... also does it monitor fast break points?

Malleymal said:
yea thats what I need to know about points in the point.. .I run the offense and sometimes I find myself with great cuts under the basket and I dont pass to them because I dont want it to be cheese... also does it monitor fast break points?
thats the debate for season 7. whether dynamic pip will be applied or not. fast break points are monitored.
edit: 60% pip ftw!:D

DiddyBop

i honestly think the flat 50 points rule is fine. i rarely had games where i was over 40 pip and i had 2 decent big men in camby and kaman,with thornton being a good slasher. even ecnal with shaq and boozer never went over the limit, same with smokey and the best big man in the game in yao. there were even games where i felt i was going into the post alot and still only ended up with 30 something pip. i think we should all just work on our midrange game instead of increasing pip.

DiddyBop

FrenchMovieTheme said:
1. smokey/kirby
2. dcx - lakers
3. denogg magic
4. konex -
5. airbrian
6. coldblooded
7. zep
8. dmczaf
9. viakado
10. diddy
11. mrbob
12. daw
13. truelize
14. hunter D (you lasted longer in the playoffs is why you're lower)
15 anarchous_one
16. FMT
17. Pheeniks
18. ecnal
19. cerrius
20. ?
21. Malleymal - Jazz (come on guys, more people are better!)
22. birdman
23. chrisjames
updated

DenogginizerOS

DiddyBop said:
i honestly think the flat 50 points rule is fine. i rarely had games where i was over 40 pip and i had 2 decent big men in camby and kaman,with thornton being a good slasher. even ecnal with shaq and boozer never went over the limit, same with smokey and the best big man in the game in yao. there were even games where i felt i was going into the post alot and still only ended up with 30 something pip. i think we should all just work on our midrange game instead of increasing pip.
I think the assumption that someone who has a single game that goes over the PIP limit is suddenly incapable of a mid-range game is what is wrong with this rule. There are games that ebb and flow differently and to say because someone goes over the PIP limit is somehow guilty of some sort of easy way out is a bit over-reaching.

DiddyBop

if someone scores 54 pip with those last 4 points coming in the post during the last few seconds to win the game then thats understandable,i never called out anyone on that. im just saying every team has a midrange game,if the top players in our league can consistently stay under 50 pip then so can the rest of us.

Birdman02

DiddyBop said:

I'm saying that the PIP limit (as it is now) is too high. It looks like the league scoring average is somewhere in the low-to-mid 70s.....so a team could score about 70% (or more in some cases) of their points in the paint and still be within the rules....and that's without taking into account 2nd chance points.

But lowering it to another hard number wouldn't be fair in the higher scoring games....that's why I think we should go with a dynamic %age as opposed to a set number.

Whatever we decide to go with, I don't think we should deduct 2nd chance points, but that's a different argument.

DenogginizerOS

DiddyBop said:
if someone scores 54 pip with those last 4 points coming in the post during the last few seconds to win the game then thats understandable,i never called out anyone on that. im just saying every team has a midrange game,if the top players in our league can consistently stay under 50 pip then so can the rest of us.
But that is not your judgement to make. If the rule is no more than 50 points, then anyone who goes over that should be disqualified. We either decide the rule is hard and non-negotiable or we change the rule. But if you yourself acknowledge that the rule isn't applicable to all circumstances then I would say that is proof that the rule is not working. I am not trying to advocate someone scoring 75% of their points in the paint. But as someone who has tried repeatedly to shoot from mid-range with little success as the Boobcats, I would love to either learn how to make all players shoot better or see someone try to improve that mid-range game, win, and still stay under 50 PIP with the Boobs.

DiddyBop

too high? how could you assume that without even playing in the league this season? and dog,if you want it to be a hard 50 than fine,i prefer that over a percentage. liek smokey said,no one should have to sit there with a calculator after games to see if they stayed under the %. and why does it matter anyways,you have the magic now!:lol you wanna scrim later with our new teams?

DenogginizerOS

DiddyBop said:
too high? how could you assume that without even playing in the league this season? and dog,if you want it to be a hard 50 than fine,i prefer that over a percentage. liek smokey said,no one should have to sit there with a calculator after games to see if they stayed under the %. and why does it matter anyways,you have the magic now!:lol you wanna scrim later with our new teams?
I am on a quest to improve not only my mid-range game but everyone's mid-range game. I know I must be doing something wrong when I shoot a wide open mid-range shot with a top-tier shooter and I still miss it. I don't know if it is lag or what but this past weekend a buddy of mine and I were playing a game and we were experimenting with shots and I found that the more wide open I was, the more I missed. Bizarre.

AirBrian

DiddyBop said:

Um, dividing your total points by 2 is like 1st-grade math (assuming we use the 50% that everyone has been talking about). Really, if anyone here can't handle that, they have no business playing video games.

DiddyBop said:
i argued before that every game shouldn't be reviewed. thats retarded and a waste of time. In such cases, the mods only review games if its flagged by either party, but imo, i think the losing team will always red flag the winning team.

DiddyBop

i wasnt really talking about 50% of your buckets,i meant something like 40% or whatnot,way to make me sound like an idiot asshole.

and denog,i know the frustrations of not being able to hit widee open shots,baron mustve shot 30% percent for me this season:lol most frustrating part of the game for me. via are you still taking the heat?

DenogginizerOS

From the stats I calculated back in December, there is a wide range in PIP percentage from game-to-game in both real-life as well as in our league. Some go as high as 65% and the team still loses. As with all things, we should strive towards balance, but as life dictates, things don't always stay in balance. But as long as someone isn't artificially tipping the scale in one direction or artificially limiting its own correction, I think leaving PIP alone and just playing honest basketball is the best policy. In the end, I would rather have a fun time with a video game that is not capable of matching the real-life sport it represents than play a video game that is being governed by a rule that disrupts the ebb and flow of the game.

DiddyBop

well said. can you scrim today? i was originally planning on pickin the magic,but those hopes are gone now:lol wanna see if these other teams can hang with them...

DenogginizerOS said:
I am on a quest to improve not only my mid-range game but everyone's mid-range game. I know I must be doing something wrong when I shoot a wide open mid-range shot with a top-tier shooter and I still miss it. I don't know if it is lag or what but this past weekend a buddy of mine and I were playing a game and we were experimenting with shots and I found that the more wide open I was, the more I missed. Bizarre.

There are hidden stats/bonuses in this game which you have to be aware of.

- If a shooter is coming off a screen and he is in his "rolling out animation" there is a much higher chance he will make the shot.

- Shooting shots after a sizeup move or a triple threat move have a higher chance of going in.

- Some players shot animations just create more space and have a higher chance of going in.

- Back to the basket shots (ala Kobe's midrange post up fadeaways have a higher chance of going in)

- Drive and dish, or passing out of double teams, tend to have a higher chance.

- Step backs have a higher chance etc. etc.

I would say all other shots, even though it appears you are open (i.e. fastbreak mid range jumpers, the defender appears to be out of position) are not necesarily high percentage shots.

The game tends to reward "in the flow" shots, in which you manufacture the shot by creating space and freezing the D in some type of animation.

If you guys start doing scrimmages trying to prove some exploit in the game - like shooting threes with Boozer when Korver is not hitting, or wide open shots vs. contested shots I think the results will be skewed and you will tend to get the results that you wanted to get in the first place.

This is the best sim out there, so we gotta take it or leave, sadly. And just hope for improvements

Bottom line is, some players just make shots, some don't. I firmly believe that every team has players that can drain shots though. (Except maybe the Thunder lol)

AirBrian

So can someone then explain why it's fair or realistic using a hard number (say 50 points) when there's such a discrepancy amongst the teams in offensive output?

Teams that score less on average per game (like me) get 50 PIP when they only average 70 total. That's over 71% of your total points.

Then the teams who score more per game, still only get 50 PIP but they average 85-90 PPG, which is about 55% of your total points.

DiddyBop said:
i wasnt really talking about 50% of your buckets,i meant something like 40% or whatnot,way to make me sound like an idiot asshole.

and denog,i know the frustrations of not being able to hit widee open shots,baron mustve shot 30% percent for me this season:lol most frustrating part of the game for me. via are you still taking the heat?
:lol

i dont know who i'll take. but if i take the heat, i know of at least 2 people thats gonna hunt me down.:lol
who are you taking?

Top Bottom