• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Neo-Gaf Madden 360 Season 8 Thread: United by John, Divided by Lag

hgplayer1

AIM: bcsplayer1
XBL: hgplayer1

who is this mrsparkle? hes got no info in his league daddy profile.

I know he played in our NCAA league but I dont remember a thing about him.

vumpler said:
Hg lets get our game! No slacking when I'm the next one on your game list!

sorry vump, I was playing FFXI and was in the middle of a quest that I couldnt bail on. it wont be a problem for regular season games. plus I had just found out that preseason games were up.

I dont work on Monday so we can get a game in then if you want.

Cloudy

Banned
No effing way. That's rickoculous.

Thats as bad as his almost "no-cone" vote

Then can we ban folks dropping back 10+ yards on non-PA plays? There is almost no way to defend this if we can't manual blitz. The QB just drops back till someone is open and the pressure never gets there :lol

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Cloudy said:
Then can we ban folks dropping back 10+ yards on non-PA plays? There is almost no way to defend this if we can't manual blitz. The QB just drops back till someone is open and the pressure never gets there :lol

Throw a corner blitz his way. Or an outside blitz. Or just anticipate where he is going to throw. Unless he is SPRINTING back with the LT, then throwing, it shouldnt be a huge problem.

Fifty

Let's try to clear this up. If for no one else than myself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the problem was that 'manual blitzing' was unfair only because of the advantage you could get at the snap. I've played against people who have switched to a rusher after I've been dropping back (or scrambling sideways) and pursued me for a sack.

ok..

Let's say you're controlling a safety. After 5 seconds you see the QB is just running around like a chicken with his head cut off...is it not ok to switch to a DE/DT and finish the job yourself?

Rorschach

Cloudy said:
If you wanna ban yourself, go ahead! Look, as far as the people that I've played over the years in the league, none of the regulars really do that shit...'cept you and your sideline antics, I hear ;b

If it's because you've been playing regular xbl folks, then you have only yourself to blame.

Rorschach

Fifty said:
Let's try to clear this up. If for no one else than myself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the problem was that 'manual blitzing' was unfair only because of the advantage you could get at the snap. I've played against people who have switched to a rusher after I've been dropping back (or scrambling sideways) and pursued me for a sack.

ok..

Let's say you're controlling a safety. After 5 seconds you see the QB is just running around like a chicken with his head cut off...is it not ok to switch to a DE/DT and finish the job yourself?
Yeah, it's ok to do that...and it's ok to take control of a safety that's blitzing after he's already broken the plane and is a few feet away from the sack. Switch, press X, and grab yourself a sack.

Cloudy

Banned
If you wanna ban yourself, go ahead! Look, as far as the people that I've played over the years in the league, none of the regulars really do that shit...'cept you and your sideline antics, I hear ;b

Bob does it all day. Ask him...

Throw a corner blitz his way. Or an outside blitz. Or just anticipate where he is going to throw. Unless he is SPRINTING back with the LT, then throwing, it shouldnt be a huge problem.

The AI outside blitz never gets there in time if he's is dropping back so far. And it's not that I can't stop it (4 picks in my rematch with Bob) but there's only 1 or 2 plays to stop it and I don't like calling the same damn plays all game. It's unrealistic and cheesy and should not be allowed if we're banning other non-sim stuff..

CB3

Cloudy said:
Bob does it all day....

I just intercepted bob 6 times when he did this. I actually like it when people do that. You can adjust very easily.

And you should be one to talk! :lol :lol :lol :lol

Rorschach

:lol I intercept Bob at least 3 times a game.

Cloudy, read my response to Fifty. If you can't manage that, then...I don't know what to say. If you see someone doing that repeatedly, adjust your defense, brother.

On the otherhand, constantly doing it for no reason is kinda cheesy.

CB3

Cloudy said:
Read my edit above...

What's that supposed to mean? More exaggerated tales of the sideline? :lol

No. I mean you do scramble to the sides often when there isnt pressure. Again, i dont have as much of a problem with it because i can defend it. A well timed corner blitz will own you enough times to stop you.

Im the Master of the Bend but not Break Defense

Rorschach

I do agree that doing it every damn play is cheesy, but I don't agree that there are only 2 plays you can use to stop it. If you control the DEs, you can get past the Oline easily after a certain number of steps the qb takes back because the Oline collapses at that point. If you take control of an LB, CB, or safety, you can follow the receivers and get yourself and int or buy your Dline time. Again, though, you are right in that it is bad to do that every single down.

[edit] if the QB moves side to side all the time with a somewhat mobile QB(I ain't sayin' any names XD), then that's a little harder, but you can contain that with stunts (which are now legal) and zones.

Cloudy

Banned
I mean you do scramble to the sides often when there isnt pressure

I admit I get happy feet sometimes and anticipate pressure but I'm usually just moving in the backfield. Not trying to run with the QB or suck the D in to pass to an open TE.

You guys have been overstating that crap and calling me cheese yet you defend obvious cheese like the 10+ dropback?

CB3

Cloudy said:
I admit I get happy feet sometimes and anticipate pressure but I'm usually just moving in the backfield. Not trying to run with the QB or suck the D in to pass to an open TE.

You guys have been overstating that crap and calling me cheese yet you defend obvious cheese like the 10+ dropback?

Ill defend anything that gets me 6 picks a game

Rorschach

"You guys?"

You don't read my posts... :(

I'm not defending it at all...I only said that it was cheese and that I agreed with you like 50 times...well, whatever....my vote stands and there's no talking to you rationaly.

Cloudy

Banned
"You guys?"

Well, you have been calling me a cheeser even though we've never played >_<

Truth be told, I don't even like controlling LBs but there has to be some deterrent to folks who refuse to play realistically :)

Rorschach

Cloudy said:
Well, you have been calling me a cheeser even though we've never played >_<

Truth be told, I don't even like controlling LBs but there has to be some deterrent to folks who refuse to play realistically :)
We've played (we were in teh same division once), but I wasn't calling you a cheeser. Anyway, if you follow the recommendations I pointed out, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but again MrBob knows he shouldn't be doing that in the first place.

Cloudy

Banned
We haven't played since I started playing Madden seriously. In fact, I think I can take you now (I almost beat FMT today) :p

Rorschach

Well, I beat FMT this week, so :p

Of course you'll do some damage with that overrated team of yours, but no matter. I'd still end up on top...even though the 360 version is Madden Lite.

DCX

DCX
Wow...talk about an upgrade in divisions :p I guess my strong showing in playoffs not only earned me the Falcons but also a terrible showing in the season which is designed to get the Falcons back into True's hands :lol The gods are plotting.

Malley we can try for tonight. I have to work until about 11pm. If you are ready i can play you sometime between 11:30 and 1AM.

DCX

maestro where does it say pre-season is included in playoffs? i stated earlier that it infact does NOT have anything to do with reg/post season play!

p.s. i will assign you the vikes when i get home from work (sweet OT!) or if the server will allow me to access LD i will do it now

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Wow I can officially no longer stop the run. I just played a guy online and he was Seattle. GEEEZUS. Any amount of yards he wanted, he got it. He busted 3 touch down runs between my 30-40 yard line, he got every first down he needed. Completely retarded. I couldn't slow it down if I HAD TO. Thank god he threw 2 picks in the game because other than that he scored every possession. I won by 7 just because he couldn't stop my offense. I have no idea how to slow a team like that down. I threw every blitz, every cover EVERYTHING and he still got what he wanted even when I KNEW he was running. Beyond frustrated right now.

fellas the run game isn't like past maddens. there were times in madden 06 where i held opponents to negative rushing yards (with the 49ers!) which is somewhat ridiculous. in this years madden, you can definitely contain the run if you are disciplined. here are my steps to stopping the run:

1. don't get blitz happy. a blitz can do 1 of 2 things: it can stop the run for negative or very small yardage, or it yields huge gains. why? because when you blitz 2 or 3 extra guys, you are taking them out of the play if the RB gets to the 2nd/3rd level. what i mean is yes, it's cool when ray lewis knifes into the backfield for a 3 yard loss, but if he DOESN'T make that play, and shaun alexander gets by that first blitz, who is there to stop him? maybe a CB who alexander will demolish? or maybe a SS who alexander will juke out of his pants? blitzing is not always the answer, and many times does more harm than good.

2. use line stunts to your advantage! i don't mean just physically making your team pinch or spread, but i mean telling them to slant a certain way (Left Bumper + Right stick down will give you a pinch that the offense can't see)

3. stop god damn turboing all over the place when you are controlling a LB or Safety! you are taking yourself out of the play many times! Now if a RB is busting to the outside and you are in pursuit of course you are going to speed burst, but if someone is running up the gut why are you going to speed burst? Be patient!

4. don't be discouraged after a long run. hey, shit happens, you're going to give up 20 and 30 and 40 yard runs sometimes. that doesn't mean on the next play you throw a tantrum and blitz the shit out of them. take your hits when they come and regroup. don't let someone compromise your gameplan because they punched you in the mouth early with a big run

5. STOP USING HIT STICK EXCLUSIVELY! when you use hit stick its all or nothing, either you're going to destroy the other guy or you're going to give him at least another 10 yards. use the X button sometimes too!

anyhow, while i'm not as good by the numbers as i was last year, i think i'm pretty decent against the run this year but it has taken time. just practice and you'll get better

TheDuce22

Banned
Xbox Live Gamertag: Havocj17

I can play sometime today. Would 9 pm pacific be good for you?

Does that thing where you can have stats e-mailed to you from the game actually work?

vumpler

Well it seems if you don't blitz to fill up the a,b and c gaps the good O lines are going to get 2nd level blocks and dominate you for 6+. I can't seem to stop it at all unless its with a blitz.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Hey, I've never been able to stop the run (or the pass :D) so this game wont feel that different to me at all.

edit: AWESOME!! I got Ror and CP in my division (i've never played against AZgreg so I can't comment). CP has always been fun to play against and my games with Ror are usually very offensive minded. AND..... I got's Mr.Voodoo in the preseason. Sweet. Thanks Commish.

Rorschach

vumpler said:
Lol Rorschach cracks me up and half you guys ignore his posts :lol
Yeah, it's a curse. I don't mind until it's time to play my opponent and they don't see my posts/IMs/PMs.

Speaking of which, CP, Duce...when do you want to play? :(

vumpler

hgplayer1 said:
ok Im good to go for the rest of the day. I should be signed in from here on out so if you see me online send me a msg.

Ok since you'll be on the rest of the day I'm going to go spend some time with the wife on her day off and I'll be back to play you at around 5pm CST. See you then.

duce did you actually read the first post in this thread? sign into the site so i can assign you the eagles! also, read the first post for other information (this goes for everyone)

also guys PLEASE post your lag impressions! i need to know if these divisions will work! i had to put some borderline people in the west cause we didn't have enough. i put DCX in the west because i had "ok" lag with him (it was slowed down but playable). let me know!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
****ing Madden and it's coastal lag. What is this, 1992??? I need games against Ror, True, and CK. Those are mah rivals!!!

fellas check out the awesome league daddy 49ers article! feel free to write any of your own, the site is set to post the 2 most current articles. some people like writing crap others don't. don't feel obligated but it can help to brag or vent your frustrations by explaining what happened!

TheDuce22

Banned
Rorschach said:
Yeah, it's a curse. I don't mind until it's time to play my opponent and they don't see my posts/IMs/PMs.

Speaking of which, CP, Duce...when do you want to play? :(

Are you the Vikings? If so I can play after 9 pacific.

Mrbob

Call the waaaaaahmublance, kotex.
cryingbaby.gif

DUCE IF YOU SEE THIS, READ THE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD! YOU ARE NOT SIGNED INTO LEAGUEDADDY YET. I CAN'T ASSIGN YOU TO THE EAGLES UNTIL YOU SIGN INTO THE SITE. HOW DO YOU SIGN IN? CHECK THE FIRST POST... PLEASE!

TheDuce22

Banned
I joined earlier today. Even got an update e-mail when someone finished a game.

You have received this update because you have update notifications turned on.
To turn off automatic update notifications, log on to LeagueDaddy,
go to [ My Profile ] and turn off update notifications.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gaming-Age! Pre-Season Week 1 update:

(updated by Shawnwhann)
Pittsburgh Steelers 31
(Shawnwhann)

Top Bottom