• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF servers for Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Source - NOW ONLINE

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
b_560x95.png

PW: believe

b_560x95.png

PW: believe

NeoGAF Ventrilo Server
Hostname: voice.gameservers.com
Server Port: 4384
Password: believe

These are the official NeoGAF Counter-Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2 servers. The servers are 100% free to use for NeoGAF members, and I will not be asking for donations. Reserved slots are not available.

Rock The Vote is enabled on both servers, allowing players to vote for the map they currently want to play. Type "rtv" to begin the process.

Team Fortress 2 map cycle:

cp_gravelpit
cp_dustbowl
cp_warpath2
cp_badlands
pl_goldrush
cp_castle4

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Where's Icy's TF2 server located at? I tend to get relatively good ping there from Finland, but I guess if it goes any more west from that spot, it starts to get too laggy.

Would be awesome if the servers would be set up with both USA and Europe in mind.

rakka

:D :D

definitely interested

locations not really important for me, i get nearly 300 ping on icy's now and about 200 on conkers.

Capndrake

Would there be customs? Would any official maps not be on? (Most of us hate both CTF maps)

If yes to both, then yes please :D (If yes to just the first then still yes please)

rakka

Capndrake said:
Would there be customs? Would any official maps not be on? (Most of us hate both CTF maps)

If yes to both, then yes please :D (If yes to just the first then still yes please)
there probably will be. both customs and reserved slots are up to the admins he picks afaik.

n0b

I would say farther east would be better, as we have a pretty big group of European players. There are some to the west, mainly the Australians, but they were able to live with the server even when it was east coast.

Won

TF2 server without the drama? Sounds boring.

So yes please! And East Cost please.

Don't now about CS:S. Reinstalled it a month ago, but never cam around to play it. (also not a good game with a ping >100 as far as I remember so no real need here)

Rorschach

SOURCE?!!!?!?!?!??!

You know I'd be down for some source. Wish you blokes would play now that I got the drivers fixed. Aholes. >:|

I'd prefer a BF2 server, but that's just me ;b

[edit] Texas or central server would be best for everyone.*

*in the US :p

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
It'd be great, But I think east coast would really be the best choice because of European players (
and me
), which were plenty, at least on Icy's server.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
This'll be interesting. Have it somewhere in central or eastern... we have a fair amount of Europeans playing.

ice cream

Banned
TF2 for sure!
CSS would be cool, but how many people still play CSS here?
If you also do CS, do 12 people, 16 is a bit too much I feel..

1up

An east coast TF2 server would be great. Just hope you dont get banned from the curse! :lol

EviLore said:
Since the TF2 server situation seems to have been a clusterfuck for a while now, I may as well get an official one up and do it right. So, 24 slot private server, what would be a good compromise of a central location for east coast and west coast players? Chicago? Dallas? St. Louis?
East coast would be preferable to accommodate our European players, most west coast players get good pings on east coast servers anyways.

I have one recommendation for the new server : don't use reserved slots, or at least not the nasty kind. Reserved slots that keep a slot open for anyone coming in, and in doing so prevent people from auto-joining. They keep the server from building any non-gaf regular community, and as a result of that, there's a good chance the server will often times be empty.

Bunny

I'd be interested in both. I don't even play CS anymore, but I'd be willing to play with some gaffers.

eznark

Banned
PillowKnight said:
East coast would be preferable to accommodate our European players, most west coast players get good pings on east coast servers anyways.

I have one recommendation for the new server : don't use reserved slots, or at least not the nasty kind. Reserved slots that keep a slot open for anyone coming in, and in doing so prevent people from auto-joining. They keep the server from building any non-gaf regular community, and as a result of that, there's a good chance the server will often times be empty.

seconded

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, I know guys, I hate reserved slots too and how it's a pain to try to get in when there are only reserve slots open. Don't worry.

I'd like to get some hard numbers on what pings the european players get out of various server locations.

Tell me your location and your ping range for these TF2 servers:

8.9.30.208 - Chicago

63.209.36.82 - Dallas

8.2.120.202 - New York

8.6.77.225 - St. Louis

Cheeto

East Coast is the best coast. I still play CSS so a GAF server for that would be great. Thanks for stepping up!

1-D_FTW

Would definitely love a TF2 server. If you have to go central, I think most people get decent pings with either Chicago or Dallas. Although since some of my favorite gaf players have been Europeans, I'd vote east coast server if given the choice.

EDIT: You probably wanna ask about DC. I'm loathe to quote Icy, but didn't he say that's where the US backbone began for Euro?

Won

EviLore said:
Yeah, I know guys, I hate reserved slots too and how it's a pain to try to get in when there are only reserve slots open. Don't worry.

I'd like to get some hard numbers on what pings the european players get out of various server locations.

8.9.30.208 - Chicago

63.209.36.82 - Dallas

8.2.120.202 - New York

8.6.77.225 - St. Louis

Chicago - ~ 135-150

Dallas - ~ 154-168

New York - 115-130

St. Louis - ~ 139-154

My location : Vienna/Austria/Europe

Davidion

Australians (and people from the general Asia/Oceanic region) might appreciate a central server. Although, I don't believe there are too many and even if there were, their connection to the US would be kind of shot regardless.

Can anyone testify? Scrow?

Doytch

You definitely want to use a private server? We really don't have enough to consistently fill a private server.

Speaking of reserved slots, circlex has a good system. It'll always fill up to full, but when a reserved person wants to get in, it kicks the last person to join.

firex

EviLore said:

8.9.30.208 - Chicago

63.209.36.82 - Dallas

8.2.120.202 - New York

8.6.77.225 - St. Louis
Chicago - 20ms
Dallas - 50ms
NY - 40ms
St. Louis - 24ms

I'm in the Cincy area so obviously a central server is better for me, but east coast is good too.

1-D_FTW

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Agreed. They've got a very good system (I've never been kicked and I don't have a reserved slot.)

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
EviLore said:

8.9.30.208 - Chicago

63.209.36.82 - Dallas

8.2.120.202 - New York

8.6.77.225 - St. Louis

Here's my results from pinging. Thanks EviLore for the effort to try to make us Europeans happy, too!

Location & connection: Finland, 1Mbps

8.9.30.208 - Chicago - ~180ms

63.209.36.82 - Dallas - ~190ms

8.2.120.202 - New York - ~150ms

8.6.77.225 - St. Louis ~180ms

Icy's server is giving me about 160ms, and it's pretty playable, but I think it's pretty close to the border of unplayable.

Yes, please!

I'm on the East Coast, but I'm able to play on Conker's West Coast server, with a ping in the mid 100s, without trouble.

8.9.30.208 - Chicago - ~40ms

63.209.36.82 - Dallas - ~72ms

8.2.120.202 - New York - ~44ms

8.6.77.225 - St. Louis - ~44ms

Chicago seems best for me, despite being in New York State. However, I'm all for accommodating as many GAFfers as possible, including the Europeans.

Kabouter

Location & connection: Netherlands, 1Mbps up

8.9.30.208 - Chicago - 113ms

63.209.36.82 - Dallas - 134ms

8.2.120.202 - New York - 104ms

8.6.77.225 - St. Louis - 131ms

fallout

Location: Northwestern Ontario (may as well call it northern Minnesota)

Chicago: 34ms
Dallas: 74ms
New York: 66ms
St. Louis: 38ms

I really don't care either way, but I figured I would add to the collective pool of data.

firex

oh, and I'd personally much rather play on a GAF server without the drama and stuff. That's why I stayed off Icy's server after I built my new computer...

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I'd really love official servers. 24 slots sounds nice; even though the 32-player servers fill up enough as it is, 16v16 player matches are a bit too chaotic and crowded.

Chicago: ~54ms
Dallas: ~40ms
NY: ~36ms
St. Louis: ~50ms

Twig

Banned
I'll be adding my pings once I get home where the pings actually matter. O:

Honestly, SexConker's server is almost completely drama free. Even after he got banned. He doesn't bitch and moan about it, he doesn't randomly kick/ban people. He's a cool dude, lawl.

But, that said, I would not be against an "official" GAF server that's not Icy-run! I can play on more than one server!

Gowans

Im in, since my new laptop the past three weeks I've been eating up my PC platform again.

Connection: 20mb/s Down 1mb/s Up

8.9.30.208 - Chicago - 120ms
63.209.36.82 - Dallas - 145ms
8.2.120.202 - New York - 116ms
8.6.77.225 - St. Louis - 148ms

add me on steam guys Gowans007
Playing TF2, COH, CIV IV, Titan Quest & Trackmania at the mo (Mythos when I can get past the boot crash)

I would love a thread about joining the PC crowd on GAF, games played (times too), clan/community groups, Server details & programs recommended.

Davidion

fallengorn said:
What, you're from around these parts?

Dude, I live in Woodside, work in midtown. o_O My girlfriend used to live in Bushwick, another in Sunset Park.

Oh, and I'll send my ping when I get home.

WARCOCK

Banned
Im west coast. Also i dont want to be an asshole but could we not include potential europeans players in our CS:S selection. Lag seems to be acceptable in tf2(at least not high level play), but its quite game breaking in counter strike :/ .

Chicago 60-70

new york 90-110

Dallas 40-45

St louis cant get on

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It's looking like chicago will be acceptable for americans and euros. Most of the european results show similar pings to chicago and NY, and chicago would accommodate west coast players reasonably well.

As far as CSS goes, I get 40-50 ping here (CT) and war gets 60-70 (CA) so chicago looks like a good spot for CSS too.

Top Bottom