• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF servers for Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Source - NOW ONLINE

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
eznark said:
quick aside, css is basically inaccessible for new players, correct?
If you're able to have fun at a game you're not very good at, you can work your way up without a problem. It's what I did, anyway.

eznark

Banned
Hitokage said:
If you're able to have fun at a game you're not very good at, you can work your way up without a problem. It's what I did, anyway.

well, clearly I can do that considering the fun I'm having lingering at the bottom in TF2!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
eznark said:

There's a learning curve for sure, but it's not insurmountable. You just need to get the core concepts down. The main thing that will turn off some new players trying to learn the game is waiting for the next round to start. A 10 second respawn timer in TF2 or whatever is tolerable, but when you're starting out in CSS you could potentially die a few seconds into the round and then have to wait a couple minutes to play again. Taking it slow, paying attention to what other players are doing, following someone else cautiously and such, that'll minimize downtime.

eznark

Banned
EviLore said:
There's a learning curve for sure, but it's not insurmountable. You just need to get the core concepts down. The main thing that will turn off some new players trying to learn the game is waiting for the next round to start. A 10 second respawn timer in TF2 or whatever is tolerable, but when you're starting out in CSS you could potentially die a few seconds into the round and then have to wait a couple minutes to play again. Taking it slow, paying attention to what other players are doing, following someone else cautiously and such, that'll minimize downtime.

how much is it on steam now? (at work or I'd check myself).

WARCOCK

Banned
eznark said:
Yeah it is if you play on the gaf server. Some of us are decent but i really doubt you will get pros since its private. So it should be pretty noob friendly, also im assuming all the dumb behavior that is usually symbolic of the CS community will not be tolerated on the server so you can expect not be labeled a stupid noob or other biogted epithets.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
In the UK (Scotland) and I ping:

New York: ~95ms
Chicago: ~117ms
St Louis: ~117ms
Dallas: ~130ms

Twig

Banned
WARCOCK said:
Yeah it is if you play on the gaf server. Some of us are decent but i really doubt you will get pros since its private. So it should be pretty noob friendly, also im assuming all the dumb behavior that is usually symbolic of the CS community will not be tolerated on the server so you can expect not be labeled a stupid noob or other biogted epithets.
That might actually convince me to try out CS:S. I've always hated it in the past. For both the community and the fact that if you suck, you really really suck.

A friendly environment, though, might be enough to get me interested.

Still, I don't see it being nearly as fun as TF2, no matter how much praise it gets. O:

VaLiancY

I'm also with Chicago, just cause I love my Euros and their luscious accents. A lot of the private servers I play in are based in NY so I get an awesome single digit ping so a ping of around 34 isn't going to be that major of a difference. :D

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Thanks for the input, folks.

TF2 server ordered. 24 player, private, Chicago.

CSS server ordered. 16 player, private, 100 tick, Chicago.

Ventrilo server ordered. 25 slot.

1-D_FTW

eznark said:
how much is it on steam now? (at work or I'd check myself).

If you have a Circuit City near you, there was recently a post on CAG about the Wolf King Warrior & Counter-Strike source bundle for 11.02. If they have it, you'd have to price verify since CC doesn't reprice items and it's still stickered at 39.99.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
dionysus said:
Why are we making them private? The TF2 crowd is not big enough to solely support itself.

*shrug*, you can share the password with friends, but the idea is to have an official home for NeoGAF members. Cuts down on the tards.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
WhatRuOn said:
I have a Ventrilo server we could all use, 30 something slot...you should have said something.

A lot of people have vent servers, but I'd like to have an official one for gaf. A lot of times when I use other people's vent servers when I play with GAFers random people will come on to grief us. For $5 a month I don't give a shit really.

Bunny

EviLore said:

awesome!
i just tested the ones listed before and i got 30-35 ping on the chicago server.

Thanks EviLore! Let us know the IP once the TF2 server is up.

BTW, does anybody have a faq/walkthrough on how to config Vent? I can never get the dang program to work right

Cheeto

EviLore said:
A lot of people have vent servers, but I'd like to have an official one for gaf. A lot of times when I use other people's vent servers when I play with GAFers random people will come on to grief us. For $5 a month I don't give a shit really.
Fair enough. Thanks for saving my house, my cats and girlfriend thank you.

omgimaninja said:
Thanks EviLore! Let us know the IP once the TF2 server is up.

BTW, does anybody have a faq/walkthrough on how to config Vent? I can never get the dang program to work right
Send me a message on steam tonight, I'll give you a hand.

sharkie

Well Hito considering the European contingent here I would prefer if it was on the east coast for obvious reasons.

Won

EviLore said:
*shrug*, you can share the password with friends, but the idea is to have an official home for NeoGAF members. Cuts down on the tards.

I don't know....TF2 is only really fun with a full server and that is hard to achieve with a password. Randoms are a necessary evil here, especially for us yurops and as long admins are around there shouldn't really a problem.

If there is a another update or tourney (naaaah) like the last we still can password it for GAF only use.

Capndrake

EviLore said:
I'd like to get some hard numbers on what pings the european players get out of various server locations.

Tell me your location and your ping range for these TF2 servers:

8.9.30.208 - Chicago

63.209.36.82 - Dallas

8.2.120.202 - New York

8.6.77.225 - St. Louis
Chicago: 113-135

Dallas: 136-155

New York: 94-113

St. Louis: 125-151

My location: The Netherlands.

Doytch

Won said:
I don't know....TF2 is only really fun with a full server and that is hard to achieve with a password. Randoms are a necessary evil here, especially for us yurops and as long admins are around there shouldn't really a problem.

If there is a another update or tourney (naaaah) like the last we still can password it for GAF only use.

This is true. Don't want to sound ungrateful, but pub would be better for the reasons that Won said. When Icy originally ran a server passworded, it didn't get much play because it was so hard to fill up.

eznark

Banned
EviLore said:

very cool.

I'll also look into that circuit city deal, one right near my office.

Twig

Banned
Very nice, Mr. EviLore, sir.

I think I agree that the TF2 server at least should be a pub. But I see no harm in trying to keep it private, at least for a week or two. See how things go.

sharkie

EviLore said:
Yeah, I know guys, I hate reserved slots too and how it's a pain to try to get in when there are only reserve slots open. Don't worry.

I'd like to get some hard numbers on what pings the european players get out of various server locations.

Tell me your location and your ping range for these TF2 servers:

8.9.30.208 - Chicago

63.209.36.82 - Dallas

8.2.120.202 - New York

8.6.77.225 - St. Louis

Chicago - 85

Dallas - 105

New York - 78

St. Louis - 103

London, England.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Chicago - 141

Dallas - 157

New York - 115

St. Louis - 145

I see it's already ordered but yeah, 141 is fine tho.

Twig

Banned
Did mah pingin'. From Cincinnati-ish, Ohio.

Chicago - 89
Dallas - 127
New York - 101
St. Louis - 94

So, yeah, awesome, Chicago!

Man, when I'm on campus, I can get like an 8ms ping to Chicago on good days. Sometimes I hate being at home! D:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Configuring the CSS server.

-800 start cash
-round time 2.5 minutes
-freeze time 2 seconds
-teams must be within 3 players of each other in size
-FF on, spawn protection 5 seconds
-60 minute map time

Installed Mani Admin mod. Enabled features:

-Stat tracking. 365 day retention, 30 days of inactivity to be removed from the active rankings -- stats will be retained, and you'll be restored to the rankings if you join the server again. Stat tracking is pure KDR with a 250 kill minimum to be ranked.

-map voting 3 minutes before end of match. manual rockthevote enabled.

-punishment for TKing enabled (but not the bomb crap)

-bounty system.

-slays for allowing the other team to complete the objective.

-auto spectate/kick for AFK

-anti-ghost

-sustained ping limit is 200

-score and cash is saved for the duration of the match for when you leave/rejoin.

-round stat display, as well as most destructive player

Think that covers most of the useful stuff.

Armitage

spllooooooge, evil you chose like the exact server options I would have. Just don't have a million mp3s to download upon connecting and it'll be a great server.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Armitage said:
spllooooooge, evil you chose like the exact server options I would have. Just don't have a million mp3s to download upon connecting and it'll be a great server.

Just gonna do the standard quake sounds. "HEADSHOT" "DOMINATING" etc.

The player toggle is enabled, so if you don't want to hear it you just type quake.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Okay, settings seem good. Counter-Strike Source server is up.

b_560x95.png

password: believe

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Configuring the TF2 server may take a while since I'm not an active TF2 player, will have to get someone else involved to get ideal settings and the appropriate custom maps and all that. So be patient.

Also note that I'll make a proper announcement about the servers being live when both of them are ready. Some publicity on the gaming forum and the front page should promote activity despite the password protection.

Firestorm

I only ever played 1.6, but I agree CS is fun if you can find a server that doesn't allow bullshit. I played on a server that had a "no swearing" rule which actually did a good job of filtering out immature players. Very team-oriented for a CS pub.

I might get Source if the GAF server picks up.

I agree that I'm not too sure how active the TF2 server will be with a password. Also, maybe the TF2 topic should be moved back to the Gaming Forum? Currently lurkers can't even see the topic because the Online forum is member only. IIRC it was moved during the time where all online multiplayer stuff was moved here in an attempt to liven it up.

eznark

Banned
I agree, if the GAF server look promising I'll probably pick it up next week and try and get the hang of it.

rakka

Firestorm said:
I might get Source if the GAF server picks up.
same here, might get it just for the gaf server :lol

I agree that I'm not too sure how active the TF2 server will be with a password. Also, maybe the TF2 topic should be moved back to the Gaming Forum? Currently lurkers can't even see the topic because the Online forum is member only.
not to mention seeing even registered users go "there's a gaf server? when?" (icy's/conker's) >_>

Top Bottom