• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF servers for Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Source - NOW ONLINE

Rorschach

CS:S starting NAO. Let's try and fill her up!

PW: believe

b_560x95.png

1up

Rorschach said:
CS:S starting NAO. Let's try and fill her up!

PW: believe

b_560x95.png

Downloading CSS now. Haven't played in forever. This isnt going to be pretty.

JoeMartin

Mr.City said:
I'm a CS virgin, but I'm kind of curious. Should I bother at all?

It's a game for perfectionists.

You're going to get your ass handed to you. Again. And again. And again. And again for roughly 6 months, at which point you'll notice a slight improvement in play (read: Your KD ratio has moved from obtusely low to somewhere in the 1:1 area). In another 6 months of play you'll find that you can generally maintain a positive KD ratio. Then you join a team, learn to play competitively, and become a "pub star," as in you roll scrubs like your former self effortlessly all the while accused of being a hacker. (NOTE: This is an imperative part of play in CS. If someone is good, they're hacking. No doubt about it.)

Of course, this is assuming you play several hours a day.

WARCOCK

Banned
JoeMartin said:
It's a game for perfectionists.

You're going to get your ass handed to you. Again. And again. And again. And again for roughly 6 months, at which point you'll notice a slight improvement in play (read: Your KD ratio has moved from obtusely low to somewhere in the 1:1 area). In another 6 months of play you'll find that you can generally maintain a positive KD ratio. Then you join a team, learn to play competitively, and become a "pub star," as in you roll scrubs like your former self effortlessly all the while accused of being a hacker. (NOTE: This is an imperative part of play in CS. If someone is good, they're hacking. No doubt about it.)

Of course, this is assuming you play several hours a day.

Meh while what he said is true, im hoping that the gaf server acts as a gaming gated community where noobs and average players can enjoy the game... Lol at the pubstar part sounds like a failed cal im player :p

For some reason, it wouldn't let me buy a defuse kit on Aztec. It said I already had one when I tried to buy one even though I didn't.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Good games in CSS guys. I need to tweak a few things, seems the auto vote map before the end of matches isn't triggering, for example.

rakka said:
don't think the tf2 one is ready yet

It's not, hasn't been configured yet.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sciz said:
I believe he means his TF2 experience is unintentionally drifting into CS:S. :lol
Oh haha. I mostly had trouble remembering that the binds I have set for CS are NOT the same as TF2, particularly that of the scope zoom. :(

1-D_FTW

If someone wants to post an Idiot's Guide to Weapons Shopping, us noobs would appreciate it. At least point us in the right direction as to what we should be prioritizing.

I'm gonna reinstall it on the hope the server is filled with a bunch of sucky noobs like myself.

Cheeto

1-D_FTW said:
If someone wants to post an Idiot's Guide to Weapons Shopping, us noobs would appreciate it. At least point us in the right direction as to what we should be prioritizing.
Hit 'B' then hit 'A', that's what I do.

It's been awhile for me too playing CSS, I feel like a noob again.

Do I not have to buy ammo anymore? I couldn't find it in the buy menu, but it seemed like I got plenty. Is that a server thing or did they take ammo buying out?

PotatoeMasher said:
Do I not have to buy ammo anymore? I couldn't find it in the buy menu, but it seemed like I got plenty. Is that a server thing or did they take ammo buying out?
I had the same question last night and someone told me that they took ammo buying out.

1-D_FTW

Cheeto said:
Hit 'B' then hit 'A', that's what I do.

Really. That almost sounds like you're playing with me it's so simple. Hope you're not:)

Bunny

Cheeto said:

haha me too. i was suprised i wasn't doing as bad as i thought i would.
warcock was owning my ass though :(

Rorschach

CrookedRain said:
I had the same question last night and someone told me that they took ammo buying out.
Yup. They took it out with the same update that gave that square radar. Whenever you buy a weapon now, you buy it with full ammo. At the end of the round, it fills up/reloads for you.

Bunny said:
haha me too. i was suprised i wasn't doing as bad as i thought i would.
warcock was owning my ass though :(
Warcock plays on a regular basis. He will own us all until we get reacquainted. :(

I played a lot of CS from beta 2 up to around 1.0 or so and then I slowed down and now just play every once in a while when someone else wants me to play. TF2 made the game feel so foreign though.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Firestorm said:
"arctic t's a spy"
"That terrorist guy who kinda looks like that guy in the movie with aliens that Valve based Gordon Freeman off of. You know who I mean, he wore the orange jumpsuit and goatee and glasses, and the aliens were in Mexico, and they wore fake skin and had crazy backwards legs? CHARLIE SHEEN! The Arrival. That's it. That terrorist looks just like him. What's he called? Leet Krew? Ha ha, seriously. Oh yeah, now I remember.

"Yeah, he's a spy."

eznark

Banned
Any chance the TF2 server will be up tonight?

(I know nothing of servers so don't take this as a WTF HURRYZ UP YO!!)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1-D_FTW said:
Ok, here's how I look at the menu. Going on buy slots since I don't really remember all the names given in Source, and many popular weapon names are from past CS versions.

Pistols - Either you're broke or need a compliment to your primary weapon.
1. Glock - Default T weapon. Accurate but kinda weak unless in burst mode.
2. USP - Default CT weapon. Slightly more powerful than the glock and fires pretty rapidly.
3. P228 - I usually ignore this pistol, but I probably shouldn't.
4. Desert Eagle - Most powerful pistol, but keep in mind only has a 7 shot clip with limited ammo. Generally speaking, your go-to pistol.
5. (T) Dual Elites - Fantastic for going John Woo on the other team, but not much else.
5. (CT) Five-Seven - I don't use this weapon as much as I should, but it only recently became useful.

Shotguns - Accuracy remains the same regardless of movement, but weak at longer ranges.
1. Pump Shottie - Great fun and lethal if you know how to use it, but don't bring one to a rifle fight.
2. Autoshotgun - aka "The Noobstick"

Sub-machine Guns - Cheaper than rifles but generally not as powerful or as accurate long-range.
1. (T) Mac10 - Has a 30 bullet clip that it burns through rapidly. Accuracy sucks so I rarely touch this one.
1. (CT) TMP - Better accuracy than the Mac10 but even though I lovingly call it the "sprayomatic" it's still a close-quarters for-fun weapon.
2. MP5 - Your go-to SMG.
3. UMP45 - I don't use this one much, and neither do most people.
4. P90 - Has a 50 bullet clip and is great for run-and-gun.

Rifles - Mainstay of CS fighting. Deal the most damage and are all useful at long range.
1. (T) Galil - I don't use this as much as I probably should. Cheapest rifle.
1. (CT) Famas - I don't use this as much as I probably should. Cheapest rifle.
2. Scout - The sniper rifle for grownups. Must headshot to get a one-hit kill and you'll be unscoped between shots, but reload is reasonably quick.
3. (T) AK47 - High damage, but accuracy only lasts the first couple of shots as the kickback is pretty strong. Your go-to rifle as Terrorist, but fire single shots or in bursts.
3. (CT) M4 - High damage and high accuracy. Silencer enhances accuracy but reduces power. Your go-to rifle as CT.
4. (T) Commando - Dual-mode automatic which has a half-zoom mode that allows precision shots that don't restrict your field of vision but fires at a slower rate. One of my personal favorites.
4. (CT) AUG - Variation on the Commando, slightly cooler looking.
5. AWP - Heavy sniper rifle that will kill in one hit unless it grazes your foot. Has a loud and distinctive firing noise. Banned on some servers.
6. (T/CT) Autosniper - Stays scoped between relatively rapid shots. Banned on some servers.

Machine guns
1. Para - Get this for its massive bullet clip and the fun you'll have with it. Otherwise, it's pretty costly.

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:
Ok, here's how I look at the menu. Going on buy slots since I don't really remember all the names given in Source, and many popular weapon names are from past CS versions.

Pistols - Either you're broke or need a compliment to your primary weapon.
1. Glock - Default T weapon. Accurate but kinda weak unless in burst mode.
2. USP - Default CT weapon. Slightly more powerful than the glock and fires pretty rapidly.
3. P228 - I usually ignore this pistol, but I probably shouldn't.
4. Desert Eagle - Most powerful pistol, but keep in mind only has a 7 shot clip with limited ammo. Generally speaking, your go-to pistol.
5. (T) Dual Elites - Fantastic for going John Woo on the other team, but not much else.
5. (CT) Five-Seven - I don't use this weapon as much as I should, but it only recently became useful.

Shotguns - Accuracy remains the same regardless of movement, but weak at longer ranges.
1. Pump Shottie - Great fun and lethal if you know how to use it, but don't bring one to a rifle fight.
2. Autoshotgun - aka "The Noobstick"

Sub-machine Guns - Cheaper than rifles but generally not as powerful or as accurate long-range.
1. (T) Mac10 - Has a 30 bullet clip that it burns through rapidly. Accuracy sucks so I rarely touch this one.
1. (CT) TMP - Better accuracy than the Mac10 but even though I lovingly call it the "sprayomatic" it's still a close-quarters for-fun weapon.
2. MP5 - Your go-to SMG.
3. UMP45 - I don't use this one much, and neither do most people.
4. P90 - Has a 50 bullet clip and is great for run-and-gun.

Rifles - Mainstay of CS fighting. Deal the most damage and are all useful at long range.
1. (T) Galil - I don't use this as much as I probably should. Cheapest rifle.
1. (CT) Famas - I don't use this as much as I probably should. Cheapest rifle.
2. Scout - The sniper rifle for grownups. Must headshot to get a one-hit kill and you'll be unscoped between shots, but reload is reasonably quick.
3. (T) AK47 - High damage, but accuracy only lasts the first couple of shots as the kickback is pretty strong. Your go-to rifle as Terrorist, but fire single shots or in bursts.
3. (CT) M4 - High damage and high accuracy. Silencer enhances accuracy but reduces power. Your go-to rifle as CT.
4. (T) Commando - Dual-mode automatic which has a half-zoom mode that allows precision shots that don't restrict your field of vision but fires at a slower rate. One of my personal favorites.
4. (CT) AUG - Variation on the Commando, slightly cooler looking.
5. AWP - Heavy sniper rifle that will kill in one hit unless it grazes your foot. Has a loud and distinctive firing noise. Banned on some servers.
6. (T/CT) Autosniper - Stays scoped between relatively rapid shots. Banned on some servers.

Machine guns
1. Para - Get this for its massive bullet clip and the fun you'll have with it. Otherwise, it's pretty costly.

Thanks and yikes. Hopefully the b and a works enough and I'll work up to this.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1-D_FTW said:
Thanks and yikes. Hopefully the b and a works enough and I'll work up to this.
B opens the buy menu. A is one of the loadout presets, which you can change to whatever.

BTW, O goes directly to the Equipment Buy menu. So hitting O then 2 is a quick way to buy Kevlar+Helmet.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
rakka said:
i hope the server banner (and if lucky soon to be bannerS) at the top of the online forum are permanent :D
We're probably going to adjust style and placement, but I think we'll stick with it in one form or another.

rakka

true, would probably be good if there was an easy way for one to find out what the password is. :D maybe instead linking to a thread created for the official servers when theyre ready?

also thanks for the weapon info hito

Top Bottom