• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
again... take this rumor with a pinch of table salt:

Eklund says ottawa has dropped out of the pronger race and it's now just toronto vs NYR

Leafs are probably offering Pogge, 3 first round picks and stajan :lol

They seem to like making stupid moves like that

DopeyFish said:

Edmonton would never make this BS trade for 4 unproven players and a player in Stajan that's a dime a dozen in return for Pronger.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
DopeyFish said:
again... take this rumor with a pinch of table salt:

Eklund says ottawa has dropped out of the pronger race and it's now just toronto vs NYR

They seem to like making stupid moves like that

Oh Eklund you joker. NY, Florida or Anaheim is where I am expecting him to go.

Spector is saying Pronger to Florida, which sounds a lot more realistic

PANTHERS MISS JOVANOVSKI, TO PURSUE PRONGER?

PALM BEACH POST: Brian Biggane reports Florida Panthers GM Mike Keenan was caught off-guard by how high the UFA marketplace went yesterday. Keenan made an offer for Ed Jovanovski but it apparently wasn't close to what the Phoenix Coyotes signed him to. Keenan may now turn his attention to Plan B: a possible trade for Edmonton's Chris Pronger. The Panthers are believed among several clubs interested in the Oilers blueliner, with speculation having Jay Bouwmeester and Nathan Horton as part of a possible package.

Spector's Note: If Keenan really wants Pronger it's gonna cost him, but it remains to be seen if he's willing to pay a steep price to land him.

Toronto doesn't even make any sense ... they just spent like $15 million on defenseman.

Pronger is like Keenan's favorite player on top of that. Oilers would get deeper and a lot younger if this deal goes through. Reportedly Lowe now also wants a 1st rounder, Keenan really whiffed on getting any D today and now doesn't have many options.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Blah. I really expected to come home and see the Preds tied up a top center for a few years. No dice, looks like the money being bandied about is just insane, no way Poile makes a move like that. He's trying to keep our salary around 34-36 to keep room for a big late season move. We really need a center though, bring back Sillinger if you have to.

It's nice to resign Mason though.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panthers/content/sports/epaper/2006/07/02/a1b_PBP_PANTHERS_0702.html

Yep ... the smoke is starting to build

"I had a discussion with Kevin last week" Keenan said. "He's trying to sort out a deal with his team, who might be in the marketplace. That process will continue over the next few days."

According to one report, Edmonton would want in return a top-end defenseman, a first-line forward and a No. 1 draft pick. In Florida's case, the expectation is the players involved would be Jay Bouwmeester and Nathan Horton.

dem said:
God if we get Horton and Jaybo.... I'll drive prongs to the ****ing airport.

If your girlfriend is a tan blonde, just make sure she isn't in the car with you guys :lol

Pronger likes Alberta beef.

Would you play Horton at RW or at the C spot? Then slide Horcoff to the no.2 center, Stoll to no.3, Schremp as no.4 perhaps. Lots of flexibility there.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I think the florida deal is going to happen, Bouwmeester is an Edmonton kid, but I don't think we will be getting the better end of the trade with this. Bouwmeester is good, but no where near Pronger type dominance, and Horton is mediocre. Now if they threw in a 1st round pick I'd be okay with it but still rather jsut have Pronger.

Sandman42

Players still out there:

-Jason Arnott
-Anson Carter
-Bill Guerin
-Mike Peca
-Mark Recchi
-Jeremy Roenick
-Sergei Samsonov
-Brendan Shanahan
-Doug Weight
-Jason Allison
-Manny Legace
-Brendan Witt
-Eric Lindros

Wolf

GO HABS GO
What's the deal with Shanahan? He had a soild year, why wouldn't Detriot re-sign?

Anyways that is still a good list of ufa's, a couple of steals left aswell providing the right contract is signed.

Forza said:
So what do non-Leafs fans think of Kubina and Gill?

what, besides :lol ?

Gill is a *reasonable* overpayment, as I'm sure JFJ had to pay that in order to sign him, but the Kubina contract is a joke. Where in Kubina's stats does anyone see a 5 million dollar hockey player? He's at something like -100 +/- for his career for christ's sake. It's mistakes like this that make's me hope JFJ is the GM for years and years to come!

Keep up the good work Ferguson, you're doing a bang up job!

Wolf said:
What's the deal with Shanahan? He had a soild year, why wouldn't Detriot re-sign?
Because he's not a power forward any more. That's probably the worst 40-40-80 season I've ever seen. That, and he's been useless in the last 3 playoff years. Time to move on and get some speed and grit on the wing.

On Elias
This is the happiest moment of my day. I was extremely afraid that the Devils were going to lose him. Now maybe we can name a captain...

You and me both Charlie, I didn't see Elias had resigned until I came home after midnight last night and I was about shed tears of joy. After Niedermeyer's defection last year, it was great to see that loyalty still counts for something to our players. I think what ultimately convinced him to stay for less (albiet for 7 years) was that the Devils qualified him last year during his battle with hepatitis and showed faith in him to recover. That's something the Rangers and Blackhawks couldn't offer.

According to one report, Edmonton would want in return a top-end defenseman, a first-line forward and a No. 1 draft pick. In Florida's case, the expectation is the players involved would be Jay Bouwmeester and Nathan Horton.

If they have to get rid of Pronger that would be an excellent trade for Edmonton, especially over the long-term. The 1st round pick would have value too because I am not nearly as convinced as Keenan that the Panthers are ready to make a run. He does realize that the Stanely Cup champs are in his division, not to mention there are plenty of other traditional powers (Otawa/NJ) and rising teams (Buffalo/Montreal) in the conference, right?

Now how about Scott Gomez, Brain Rafalski and a #1 to bring Pronger to NJ (and his wife to the NY area)?:)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
soundwave05 said:
Like it or not though, he was far and away your best d-man
Wrong wrong wrong. :lol

Spare me the laughter and stick to doing what you do best - flipflopping on Chris Pronger like a betrayed fishwife. Mattias Ohlund is the number one defenceman on the Canucks, and has been for years.

bishoptl said:
Wrong wrong wrong. :lol

Spare me the laughter and stick to doing what you do best - flipflopping on Chris Pronger like a betrayed fishwife. Mattias Ohlund is the number one defenceman on the Canucks, and has been for years.

Yeah ... so basically no matter who you consider your no.1, your defense still sucks.

It did last year, and it will this year. Ohlund, your no.1 D-Man was a whopping -6 last year.

Also say bye-bye to Anson Carter. You sign Willie Mitchell for $3.5 million ... Carter *has* to ask for $4.5 million in that situation at least. Good job, Nonis. Even if he does resign him, that's basically your entire budget and the roster still has holes in it.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
How's that Pronger trade working out? I mean, now that nearly every other D-man worth anything on the FA list has been snapped up? Lowe should have been pressing for a deal before July 1st when the field was wide open. Now? GM's can sit and wait to see how much ol' Kev will sweat before being forced to make a deal? Pronger's a great asset - who cut the legs out from under his GM when he made it clear he doesn't want to be in Deadmonton. Pray to whatever deities you believe in that Keenan deigns to give you a deal - or else it's Stajan and draft picks for you. :lol

I'd laugh even harder if Pronger ended up staying in an Oiler uni next year. :lol

bishoptl said:
How's that Pronger trade working out? I mean, now that nearly every other D-man worth anything on the FA list has been snapped up? Lowe should have been pressing for a deal before July 1st when the field was wide open. Now? GM's can sit and wait to see how much ol' Kev will sweat before being forced to make a deal? Pronger's a great asset - who cut the legs out from under his GM when he made it clear he doesn't want to be in Deadmonton. Pray to whatever deities you believe in that Keenan deigns to give you a deal - or else it's Stajan and draft picks for you. :lol

I'd laugh even harder if Pronger ended up staying in an Oiler uni next year. :lol

Keep telling yourself that. The fact that all the UFA d-man are gone helps us ... it doesn't hinder us. It raises Pronger's value, he's better than anyone that was signed yesterday and there's no one else left for teams like Florida, Philly, or Tampa Bay to choose from.

Yesterday worked out really well from our P.O.V., it would've been worse if guys like Jovonovski, Chara, Kubina, etc. were still sitting unsigned on the market.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
7dontstop4mg.jpg

:lol

You should probably be more concerned with how you're going to resign Carter. If he goes, you guys honestly might have the worst offense in the division ... even worse than Calgary now that they got Tanguay. Minnesota is also far better now.

Well if you read the Toronto press, apparently every free agent and availible player is somehow going to sign or be traded to Toronto.

Wolf said:
what, besides :lol ?

Gill is a *reasonable* overpayment, as I'm sure JFJ had to pay that in order to sign him, but the Kubina contract is a joke. Where in Kubina's stats does anyone see a 5 million dollar hockey player? He's at something like -100 +/- for his career for christ's sake. It's mistakes like this that make's me hope JFJ is the GM for years and years to come!

Keep up the good work Ferguson, you're doing a bang up job!

I rag on JFJ but let's be honest here.

Before these signings:

#3 - Berg
#4 - Klee

Now:

#3 - Kubina
#4 - Gill (for now)

Who would you rather have as your #3 and #4 d-men?

ForzaItalia said:
So what do non-Leafs fans think of Kubina and Gill?

Kubina is decent, but not worth 5mil. About 2.5 - 3mil.
I can't talk smack though. Our GM (TB) has become the poster boy for overspending.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
According to Fan590.....Leafs offered Lindros 750k/yr and its expected he will agree to those terms.

Leafs have also offered Shanahan 3.5 million/year 2 years (ugh... i dont know what to feel about this)

Also what the Leafs are currently offering for Pronger is Tucker, Telqvist and [big salary player] which I'd assume is Kubina. Oilers wanted Pogge, but we said telqvist. oilers wanted tucker and we said **** it, you can take him

but other than that... i'd say florida is most likely to get him now... just because we're being so stingy

dem

Arnotts a bum anyway... don't fret too much hab fans.

Why would the Oiler want Telqvist? We have no room for him in Edmonton.. and we don't have a farm team.

This Pronger/Toronto rumour just keeps getting more retarded.

sefskillz

Arnott fits just what we needed, at a price a little higher than what we wanted. But, this is great for us because we've been hurting for a decent center since the franchise started... Legwand never really panned out as a top line center for us. With Radulov more than likely coming up next year, we're going to have some vicious scoring lines... FINALLY. A solid backup in Mason and even though Vokoun is still a questionmark for the start of the season, I like our chances.

The Nashville bandwagon is ready for those looking to hop on.

Solo

ForzaItalia said:
Let's hope they sign Domi.

I am a lifelong Habs fan, born and bred on this team. However, I would be forced to turn in my membership if Domi EVER gets on this team. **** that. He should retire now and save whatever legacy* he has.

*lol

FightyF

Banned
dem said:
This Pronger/Toronto rumour just keeps getting more retarded.

Lowe made it clear that the trade won't dissappoint fans. MacT said that the trade would only happen if the got an all star forward AND a number 1 draft pic.

NYR just seems to make sense. With Jagr, Nylander, Ozolinsh (sp?), and Straka, there seems to be a lot more talent on the team that would result in a fair trade.

sefskillz

Karakand said:
Is it the same color as your third jersey? :)
There's a serious bulldog syndrome around Nashville with our third jerseys. So ugly they're cute kinda thing :)

Karakand

Yeah, it's a lot more distinct than their normal ones. They should do what the Ducks did for the second half of last season.

^^ EDIT: Beaten^^

And our fat ass GM sends Darryl Sydor back to Dallas for a 4th round pick.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170328&hubname=

"It is terribly painful to trade Syd, and yet in the cap world, given the commitments we have already made and the priorities we have established, we simply do not have the luxury of continuing to carry his salary."

Well maybe if you stop overpaying left and right! Just shut up you fat ****. Shut the **** up. His spin is going to make me puke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom