• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reilly said:
Raycroft = good? :lol

Yeah ... when you put it that way ... maybe not. The East is a tough division (well they both are).

I think that Aubin kid is actually going to end up being the starter in Toronto.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Eklund:

John Grahame signs with Carolina (e5)

Gerber talking to Detroit, Florida and One other team...

Thank GOD that over rated hack Jovonovski is finally off this team. "Money is no object" my ass. Goodbye and let the door hit you in the ass you over paid buffoon.

TemplaerDude said:
Thank GOD that over rated hack Jovonovski is finally off this team. "Money is no object" my ass. Goodbye and let the door hit you in the ass you over paid buffoon.

Like it or not though, he was far and away your best d-man ... and there's really no big-time no.1 d-men left on the market now (no chance in hell you get Pronger). The salary situation being what it is in Vancouver, not like Nonis could afford it anyway.

Anson Carter is going to want *at least* $3 million.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
soundwave05 said:
I think Ottawa should sign Gerber now, just in case Hasek retires or gets hurt again.

I hope not, Gerber was worse than Emery in the playoffs.

calder

Boston made some huge moves... but I still think the team on the ice will disappoint like they always seem to the last few years.

Ah well, back to WC quarters and trying to follow baseball on the comp - busy day! ;)

soundwave05 said:
Like it or not though, he was far and away your best d-man ... and there's really no big-time no.1 d-men left on the market now (no chance in hell you get Pronger). The salary situation being what it is in Vancouver, not like Nonis could afford it anyway.

Anson Carter is going to want *at least* $3 million.

You know very little about this team if you think Jovonovski is out "best" defenceman"
Jovonovski was far and away one of the WORST defenceman on this team. He was terrible in his own zone, couldn't pass to save himself, and consistantly made bone headed plays. His only upside was his offensive abilities and they weren't particularily good anyways.
Ask anyone who watches this team (me) and they'll tell you the truth. Ohlund was by far our best defenceman, Salo had much more offensive talent than Jovo, and Bourdon will be far better than Jovonovski ever was.
Easily one of the most over rated defenceman EVER. I was hoping we would sign him and trade him since everyone in the league thinks he is so great.
Pheonix got ripped in that deal and it'll be really obvious once the season starts.

DopeyFish

leafs have signed hal gill to a 3 year deal $2.1 mil/year

Jay McKee is looking really good to sign soon..Ny Rangers favorite (e4) Isles and Flyers in the Mix. (eklund)

TemplaerDude said:
You know very little about this team if you think Jovonovski is out "best" defenceman"
Jovonovski was far and away one of the WORST defenceman on this team. He was terrible in his own zone, couldn't pass to save himself, and consistantly made bone headed plays. His only upside was his offensive abilities and they weren't particularily good anyways.
Ask anyone who watches this team (me) and they'll tell you the truth. Ohlund was by far our best defenceman, Salo had much more offensive talent than Jovo, and Bourdon will be far better than Jovonovski ever was.
Easily one of the most over rated defenceman EVER. I was hoping we would sign him and trade him since everyone in the league thinks he is so great.
Pheonix got ripped in that deal and it'll be really obvious once the season starts.

While I can't really endorse what you're saying, I agree that saying Jovo was "far and away the best defenseman" on the team was a wild stretch. Ohlund is the right answer.

Sigh...we do need some d now though

calder

How restrictive are the RFA rules now? I know they took out the 5 first rounder penalty (at least I think they did) but is it feasable to make offers to RFA's again? Because damn I think the Flames could scrape together a few mil for Patrice Bergeron, assuming the Bruins are near the cap and can't match (i'm 99.99% sure they'd match instantly). :D

Sandman42

I'm liking the Leafs defense.

Kubina-Kaberle
McCabe-Coliacovo
Gill-White

Now if we can grab a forward, JFJ lives another day.

DopeyFish

Sandman42 said:
I'm liking the Leafs defense.

Kubina-Kaberle
McCabe-Coliacovo
Gill-White

Now if we can grab a forward, JFJ lives another day.

coliacovo is a piece of shit. Please stop mentioning leftover trash from the quinn era. thanks.

Sandman42

DopeyFish said:
coliacovo is a piece of shit. Please stop mentioning leftover trash from the quinn era. thanks.
? Coliacovo is a great defenseman. He just needs to stop getting injured. He played great for us, and also destroyed Bertuzzi.

DopeyFish

Sandman42 said:
? Coliacovo is a great defenseman. He just needs to stop getting injured. He played great for us, and also destroyed Bertuzzi.

what? Are you on crack? He's got terrible defensive positioning and weak usage of his frame. His over-hyped offensive capabilities are flat. He's useless!

Sandman42 said:

lmao, please. Coliacovo is terrible. I can't believe how much praise that wannabe gets.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
God do I want Bergeron on the Habs. He is on the way to becoming a franchise player.

If Gainey only nabs one free agent, let it be him.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
calder said:
How restrictive are the RFA rules now? I know they took out the 5 first rounder penalty (at least I think they did) but is it feasable to make offers to RFA's again? Because damn I think the Flames could scrape together a few mil for Patrice Bergeron, assuming the Bruins are near the cap and can't match (i'm 99.99% sure they'd match instantly). :D

If they offer Bergeron 4M it would mean 2x 1st rounders, a 2nd and a 3rd which is a great deal considering his potential.

Bruins are at 33.2M including McEachern + Green buyouts. They have to sign 5 forwards and 4 defensemen with about 10 million.

Barrage

I would assume Boston would deal Murray and/or Zhamnov for next to nothing to be able to keep Bergeron and Boyes.

As long as we're talking about RFAs who have almost next to no chance of moving teams, but that people are hoping could move,(and I know this has no chance of happening, but a guy can dream) I wouldn't mind seeing Spezza in Dallas green...

I think Boston's plan is this. Dump salary outside of Bergeron + Chara/Savard.

Resign Bergeron. Have a makeshift/low-cost roster beyond that.

As the years go by, bank on the salary cap to increase, so you can then manuever and sign other players around that core and stockpile draft picks. They should have an outside shot at making the playoffs this coming year even with that, provided they get some bounces (ie: one of their goalies plays over his head) ... but the plan seems sound long term.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Baumgartner's gone too bah. Nonis needs to get another d-man soon, it's looking really thin now.

DopeyFish

BorkBork said:
Baumgartner's gone too bah. Nonis needs to get another d-man soon, it's looking really thin now.

well the young talent is gone, yes... but there's still some high quality d-men left. Like Brian Leetch for example. Even though in Vancouvers case, they're in a slight rebuild mode and need defencemen locked up in multi-year deals.

oh and the nucks did sign willie mitchell

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
DopeyFish said:
well the young talent is gone, yes... but there's still some high quality d-men left. Like Brian Leetch for example. Even though in Vancouvers case, they're in a slight rebuild mode and need defencemen locked up in multi-year deals.

oh and the nucks did sign willie mitchell

Sweet, just read that too. 4 year $14 mil hmm, seems a little bit pricey.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Damn the Bruins have gotten a lot better since Chiarelli took charge. Too bad they let O'Connel **** up the team so much before he left.

MrToughPants

R_GILL said:
Damn the Bruins have gotten a lot better since Chiarelli took charge. Too bad they let O'Connel **** up the team so much before he left.

He's still employed with the Sens. :lol

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
MrToughPants said:
He's still employed with the Sens. :lol

I see, so this is all of Gortens doing. What the hell if he was this good why did stick with MOC so long. So far he has gotten rid of Boynton forChara and Savard. Hes upgraded everywhere and now hes probably going to get rid of Murrays shitty contract.

Ohlund - Krajicek
Salo - Mitchell
Bourdon - (Bieksa, Carney?, Someone else?)

Not a spectacular defence but pretty good. Ohlund is awesome, Salo and Mitchell are pretty good, Bourdon could be amazing, and Krajicek and Bieksa are the wildcards.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Wait a minute, we signed Hal Gill. What the Jesus, has JFJ seen Gill play. Hell I think Aki Berg is better than Hal Gill.

MrToughPants

R_GILL said:
I see, so this is all of Gortens doing. What the hell if he was this good why did stick with MOC so long. So far he has gotten rid of Boynton forChara and Savard. Hes upgraded everywhere and now hes probably going to get rid of Murrays shitty contract.

Actually I think he's working for Boston but while employed with the Sens. He's probably calling the shots.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
MrToughPants said:
At 2.1mil per year no less :lol

bah we should have ponied up more for McKee, he does all that Gill does, but he doesn't suck. Looks like no wingers for Mats, he must be pissed he is going to have to carry the offense once more.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
soundwave05 said:
Yeah ... when you put it that way ... maybe not. The East is a tough division (well they both are).

I think that Aubin kid is actually going to end up being the starter in Toronto.

Aubin can't even lead an AHL team to anything, in the lockout year Tellqvist usurped him as number 1 goalie on the Marlies, he goes on hot streaks for a while but once those are over he goes back to being the crappy goalie that he is.

DopeyFish

soundwave05 said:
I think Ottawa should sign Gerber now, just in case Hasek retires or gets hurt again.

apparently Sportsnet just reported ottawa has signed gerber (i can't back that up though)

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
DopeyFish said:
apparently Sportsnet just reported ottawa has signed gerber (i can't back that up though)

Yeah I saw that too.

So how long does Hal Gill survive in Toronto, people are going to begging for Berg back.

dem

**** i went fishing today and missed all the shit going down...

Jovo went to the coyotes??
I really hope Prongs goes to Florida... I may jizzum in my pants if we get Jaybo and Horton.

dem said:
**** i went fishing today and missed all the shit going down...

Jovo went to the coyotes??
I really hope Prongs goes to Florida... I may jizzum in my pants if we get Jaybo and Horton.

Like that's going to happen, I think Florida's line up has been butchered enough.

Keenan has a hard-on for Pronger, he coached him when he was a young'n' ... he will probably do it, especailly now that Jovonovski is off the market.

Jokinen + Bertuzzi + Pronger ... add say, Biron to that ... wouldn't be so bad, if Bertuzzi actually wakes up. Pretty much a Keenan-esque type of roster.

I think Philly and maybe Tampa Bay would be the other players making strong bids for Pronger.

calder

I'm just reasonably happy that, for a change, no NW teams seem to be massively improving themselves. Last year, the trade deadline, the draft... enough with all the teams in the NW upgrading every week! When the damn Wild start to load up you know shit's out of hand.

Thanks to the Avs at least for looking content to slide into cap hell and a .500 record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom