• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

Shit, wouldn't have minded Weight, but 3.5 a year for a guy his age who's still weeks away from being able to lift his arm up past shoulder height? And he didn't exactly light it up after his trade to the Canes either, he was solid and effective but I don't think he's a first liner any more.

EDMONTON - Scratch Radek Dvorak from the list of players who will be back in an Oilers uniform.

Agent Ritch Winter has told the Oilers the winger has no interest in returning next season. He will be among those NHL players available on Saturday when free agency begins.

"I won't say why. He just has no interest in returning," Winter said. "He would like to pursue other opportunities."
If only anyone in Edmonton wanted him back, it would be a much funnier story. :lol

Barrage

Thank you Tampa Bay! Sydor is a great player that I love to see come back to Dallas. I said Dallas should get some guys with championship experience, and we end up getting a guy who got his first cup WITH DALLAS. and for a 4th rounder? Great Deal!

Whelp, looks like I was wrong about us resigning Hedberg. He signed with Atlanta. The problem is that I assumed lost him we would be signing a vet backup(Osgood,Gerber). Now, who's left? Hopefully we trade for a good backup(Weekes maybe? the NYR can always have Ninimaa. :D)

HILARIOUS that the Habs didn't get Arnott. The way Habs fans were talking, you'd think Arnott had already thrown his career away. It's good that Arnott's time with the Stars allowed him to realize that he couldn't go from the Utopian Paradise that IS Dallas to the hellish gloryhole of Canada that is Montreal. So he went to a "neutral" site, shall we say. Ah well. There's always Domi!

EDIT: I assume St.Louis gave Weight the big ass contract to make it easier to pass the Cap Floor.

Barrage said:
Thank you Tampa Bay! Sydor is a great player that I love to see come back to Dallas. I said Dallas should get some guys with championship experience, and we end up getting a guy who got his first cup WITH DALLAS. and for a 4th rounder? Great Deal!

Thank our jackass GM. I'm not so sure I'd give him up. Last season wasn't his best, but that could be said for our team as a whole.

The problem is that I assumed lost him we would be signing a vet backup(Osgood,Gerber). Now, who's left? Hopefully we trade for a good backup(Weekes maybe? the NYR can always have Ninimaa.)

Don't you see? This is the perfect opportunity for the Stars to bring back Eddie the Eagle--make it happen Dallas!:)

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Wooo hoo.. Dvorak is leaving. We needed to get that dead weight off the team, he did nothign all season and nothing in the playoffs.

FightyF

Banned
Hitman said:
Wooo hoo.. Dvorak is leaving. We needed to get that dead weight off the team, he did nothign all season and nothing in the playoffs.

Dvorak was DEADLY with Nedved.

But yeah he didn't do much in the Playoffs.

Schremp is coming in...don't need Divvy.

As far as the Wings goaltending goes, I don't want Hasek back, but in reality no one is going to be satisfied with any goalie. Last season Cujo did awesome, especially in the playoffs (even out playing Kipper) but the team was in shambles. If they had Cujo this year they could have made it to the finals. But it seems like the Detroit media likes to crucify any goalie that plays for them.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
wham.jpg

:lol

FightyF

Banned
Yeah, I was banned so I couldn't post, so I changed wham.jpg (the one with George Micheal) to this. That was my prediction of the series but I changed it right after Roli got injured. I was almost proved wrong though! That was a good run by the Oilers.

So the Kings signed Alyn McCauley for 6M/ 3 seasons and the Rangers re-signed Martin Straka at 3.1M for one season. The Panthers signed Salei for 12.1M/ 4 seasons.

Come on Nonis, we still need a number one RW and we still need to dump cloutier, and we still need a backup goalie, and we need to get carter back. You've done great so far... just a bit more...

We're 3 months out from the beginning of the regular season and leafs fans are saying they're top three in the nhl? man, they're late.:lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
purnoman3000 said:
We're 3 months out from the beginning of the regular season and leafs fans are saying they're top three in the nhl? man, they're late.:lol

It's howard berger - from Fan590

yeah, I was kidding. I'll admit, even as an Ottawa fan, the Leafs have quite the nice backend, though overpaid for what it is. However, Raycroft is a big question mark as is the scoring especially without resigning Allison. Many may joke or say he's a bum but for the third in team scoring last year at 1.5 mil, he was a bargain compared to the other salaries on the roster.

Also, rumours have Pronger potentially going to Anaheim. Along with Niedermayer, all the young talent, and the resurging Selanne, that'd be amazing.

P.S. Dear Gainey, do something. Get Perreault back.... and will somebody sign Shanahan.

FightyF

Banned
purnoman3000 said:
yeah, I was kidding. I'll admit, even as an Ottawa fan, the Leafs have quite the nice backend, though overpaid for what it is. However, Raycroft is a big question mark as is the scoring especially without resigning Allison. Many may joke or say he's a bum but for the third in team scoring last year at 1.5 mil, he was a bargain compared to the other salaries on the roster.

Also, rumours have Pronger potentially going to Anaheim. Along with Niedermayer, all the young talent, and the resurging Selanne, that'd be amazing.

P.S. Dear Gainey, do something. Get Perreault back.... and will somebody sign Shanahan.

How could Pronger go to the Ducks WITHOUT having Niedermeyer (sp) as part of the deal?

FightyF

Banned
Thanks for the link!

OMG, JR to Calgary? No, God NO PLEASE DON'T LET IT HAPPEN!

My love for JR combined with my hate for the Flames will result in such inner turmoil I fear for the World.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
I have no problem with Lindros coming here for 750 K. Its not like we have much cap room left and we need some more forwards. He should be good for 40 games before sustaining a random injury. Leafs have a little over 5 million in cap room and we probably will leave 2 million for injuries and whatnot so we got 3 million left for some forwards.

Sandman42

R_GILL said:
I have no problem with Lindros coming here for 750 K. Its not like we have much cap room left and we need some more forwards. He should be good for 40 games before sustaining a random injury. Leafs have a little over 5 million in cap room and we probably will leave 2 million for injuries and whatnot so we got 3 million left for some forwards.
I would take Lindros for 750k no questions asked. He was the best player on the ice at times last season. Plus, with all the injury plagued seasons Eric has had, you have to think that he is due for at least one season where he plays upwards of 70 games?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I'm kinda surprised Perrault hasn't been snapped up. He's old and slow, but the best faceoff man in the league, had 50+ points last year and we had him for near league minimum. He's a deal.

charlesthefirst said:
Wait, Lupul's been taken out of the article...so that's why it mysteriously disappeared.

Yeah, now all it says is "The Anaheim Ducks have traded one roster player, one non-roster player and several conditional high-end draft picks to the Oilers in exchange for Pronger."

That's strange... I hope we don't have to wait long to figure out what is going on here...

Alucard

Banned
Pens have hired Andre Savard (former Montreal assistant GM) as an assistant coach. Okay, let's get some player movement now?...

Sad day, Stevie Y retires

Even though the new NHL has improved so much since coming back, this has been the darker side. So many of the great players that have been a part of the game since I first became a fan (going back to elementary school) are leaving the game now. It's really a new era in more ways than one.

The only reason why Pronger's going to Anaheim is because of that woman he married,

why would a woman dictate to her man where she wants to end up.

Makes Edmonton look like a hicktown.

so did the oilers get a better trade than Kaberle and stajan for Pronger?

what is DEm's REaction?

Also: Im sad for Stevie Y one of My Fav Players All time.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
The Bookerman said:
The only reason why Pronger's going to Anaheim is because of that woman he married,

why would a woman dictate to her man where she wants to end up.

Makes Edmonton look like a hicktown.

Pussy%20Whipped.jpg

Looks like its done.

Lupul and Smid, plus a conditional pick.

Not sure what I think right now. If we can sign Spacek with the free capital we have after pulling this off, I think it's a good deal, but I hope we can sign some more D men..

Reilly

Reilly said:
The deal would look like this. Pick who you want.

Perry/Lupul/Getzal/Perry + Vishnevsky/Beauchemin/Smid + 1st rounder

well, I was right with my trade predition. :lol

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
:(
****ing Pronger.
I want to hate him, but I can't becaues he's such a great player... oh well - it was a fun year.
Not crazy about the trade. I think we could've done a lot better... but these are the types of trades that you gotta wait a few years to see how they pan out.

If you look at it this way:
Brewer and Woywitka --for--> Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, Anaheim's first-round choice in 2007, a conditional first-round pick and Anaheim's second-round pick in 2008 + a great Playoffs run in 2006.
...then it's not so bad, but it still burns.

Anyway, :lol @ Anaheim.
Neids + Pronger?! HOLY CRAP. STACKED.

If you guys are interested, the new Sabres logo:

sabres_card.jpg

Lovingly named "Buffaslug" by the Sabres fans. All of whom HATE THIS LOGO (though the colors are nice).

And this is not fake, it's been confirmed here.

So... yeah...

It's funny because me and Karak were talking about Pronger ending up in Anaheim and boom it's done.

Anaheim will win the Cup this year ... book it.

Lupul will be a 35+ goal scorer for the Oilers, but I would've wanted more back defensively. Apparently though Smid was a high draft pick, so he should be solid in the future, but at 20 years old, it will take some time. We do have a decent amount of cap space to work with.

I almost think we should go all offense and sign Anson Carter as well, bringing back Spacek to shore up the D. Play run n' gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom