• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
You'll have plenty of time to develop that young core in Edmonton.

p1865670nm.jpg

Nice to see Brian Burke's ability to fleece rival GMs hasn't rusted with age. :)

Wouldn't surprise me if we made the playoffs this year anyway.

Vancouver loses Carter, Bertuzzi, and Jovocop. They add Luongo ... but really is this any better than Florida? This team isn't a lock to make the playoffs at all.

Minnesota will move up and take Colorado's spot, in fact they might just win the division outright. Phoenix might have a shot. They still have cap room to add players, but they seem to have gone quiet after signing Jovocop.

Phoenix is probably the team we'll have to outplay.

Barrage

soundwave05 said:
If there is something about this deal that makes me laugh, it's that Dallas/Calgary/Detroit/Vancouver/SJ/Nashville, etc. are all now f*cked in the West while we develop our young core. :)

I love Edmonton fans have gone from potentially cheering for the Stanley Cup Champions to pitying teams who can actually contend.:lol

Let's hope "developing your young core" lends you a good draft pick. :D

KilledByBill said:
On JSG

Giguere is not a franchise goalie; one good season and playoff run 3 years ago (in the old NHL) does not establish that. Anaheim tipped their hand by letting him ride the pine much of the playoffs. He would be able to perform on a good two-way team like the Red Wings but would be terrible playing on a team with a shooting-gallery-defense like Pittsburgh. Besides, the new limited goalie equipment rules were practically designed with him in mind, no more Michelin man.

Well, a 20 million 4year contract, a conn smythe trophy, 30-15-11 season record this year would definitely place him as the team's goalie. Giguere couldn't play game one, so they brought in Bryzgalov, and like any sane team kept playing the hot hand. Montreal did it, Carolina did it.

I won't argue about further equipment rules but he's damn well a guy I'd feel comfortable to have in net. And as for Pittsburgh, well, I'm not sure any goaltender would be a good fit without a defense to back him up. Fleury is still their man as far as I'm concerned.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
soundwave05 said:
Wouldn't surprise me if we made the playoffs this year anyway.
Mmm yeah. After your spot-on prognostications re: Lowe's ability to get value for Pronger :lol I'll just amuse myself with your attempts to spin it into something positive. But hey, draft picks are cool! And with a younger, buttery-soft version of Ziggy Palffy, you won't miss Chris on the backend at all.

Nope.

Hey, how many more players have stated publicly that they want to get the **** out of Edmonton in the past 20 minutes? Just curious.

calder

One thing to consider is that the Ducks first round picks (both of them if you want to get theoretical) are likely going to be in the bottom 10. Hell, the conditional first rounder by definition would have to be 30th overall. Anyone really think the Ducks won't be at least as good as they were last year? I think they'll be better, and as everyone should know a 25th-ish pick in the first round gets you a guy who might be an impact player in a couple of years... or might have a long and fruitful career in the minors.

I'd much rather have the Panthers first rounder next year, that's for sure.

160.f.jpg

"Oh shit, I'm going... home?! I busted my ass off for 3 years in the Dub just so I wouldn't have to live in ****ing Edmonton! What the **** why not just trade me back to Medicine Hat!"

I still would take our roster over yours.

Our forwards are far better than what you got left, defense is basically a wash if we resign Spacek. Luongo is terrific, but Roloson/Jussi give us solid goaltending as well.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
soundwave05 said:
I still would take our roster over yours.
...like you have a choice. :D

This Pronger hilarity has been the best thing for the NHL in years. And the fact that his wife is still bitching...awesome.

calder said:
One thing to consider is that the Ducks first round picks (both of them if you want to get theoretical) are likely going to be in the bottom 10. Hell, the conditional first rounder by definition would have to be 30th overall. Anyone really think the Ducks won't be at least as good as they were last year? I think they'll be better, and as everyone should know a 25th-ish pick in the first round gets you a guy who might be an impact player in a couple of years... or might have a long and fruitful career in the minors.

I'd much rather have the Panthers first rounder next year, that's for sure.

160.f.jpg

"Oh shit, I'm going... home?! I busted my ass off for 3 years in the Dub just so I wouldn't have to live in ****ing Edmonton! What the **** why not just trade me back to Medicine Hat!"

Don't you live in Manitoba?

calder

soundwave05 said:
Don't you live in Manitoba?
Yes I do. Yeah yeah, we don't have a team, but we also don't have a team full of guys begging to leave on the first plane out of town, so that's some consolation I guess.

The Pronger deal isn't even on the front page of ESPN.com :lol

It's like the fifth story down. No one gives a shiat down south.

Holy crap, ESPN is reporting the Bulls are getting Ben Wallace :)

soundwave05 said:
Vancouver loses Carter, Bertuzzi, and Jovocop. They add Luongo ... but really is this any better than Florida? This team isn't a lock to make the playoffs at all.

Few teams are a lock for the playoffs in the west, though. I mean, Chicago, St. Louis, Columbus, and Los Angeles might be reasonably expected to miss the playoffs, and Phoenix still really needs some scoring. But every other team has a serious argument for making it, even the (cough) Avs. The teams that keep injuries low and get some surprising performances out of their young players will likely be the ones left standing.

Vancouver missed the playoffs by three points, and has dropped an inconsistent RW and a steady RW in exchange for a #1 goaltender. They've improved, and it's definitely enough for the three points. How well things mesh together depends on what RWs they sign and how they mesh, as well as how the Cloutier/Noronen situation resolves and how well touted defenseman Luc Bourdon adjusts if he makes the expected fulltime jump to the team.

I won't argue the question marks, but there's an awful lot of room for the Canucks to do well.

Malakhov

Banned
And Montreal signs... no one!

God this is an awful off season for the Habs, we even lost Andre Savard for christ's sake.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Barrage said:
it looks like hometown boy Mike Smith might be the Stars backup this year. Good to see him finally get an opportunity.
Barrage said:
One piece of information that greatly saddened me was the news of Christobal Huet signing with Montreal. I was really hoping that he would sign with Dallas. I think we would really need him in nets if,say, Marty Turco was injured by having rubble fall on him while saving orphans from an abandoned building or another one of his daily exploits. Oh, and we couldn't find any good free agent goalie and resigned Hedberg. Oh, and Hedberg was hit by a bus and couldn't play. Oh, and all our minor league goalies were abducted or kidnapped or similarly disposed of. In those circumstances, I would love to have Huet backing up whatever random homeless person we would choose to play Goalie.

Wow you weren't kidding when you said Dallas would grab some talentless nobody to play backup. I think Barrage has inside sources.

bishoptl said:
nhl_g_yzerman_412.jpg

My all-time favourite forward. Thanks for the memories, Steve.

I can be annoyed by so many players but never Stevie Y. How could anyone hate this guy?

Little story: It was about 1994 or so and I remember paying about $17.50 for a pack of cards from Yzerman's rookie year, O-Pee-Chee. I was with a buddy and he thought I was nuts for paying that money but I remember Cam Neely and Doug Gilmour being in there too as rookies so justified it that way.

Sure enough I pull a mint Yzerman rookie out of the pack that I still have to this day.

One of the best ever Stevie Y.

Your rocked my man.

toro5741

ForzaItalia said:
I love the title with the ! "BRENDAN WITT AN ISLANDER!" So emphatic...as if they've signed a Norris Trophy Winner:lol

Whatever...he was clearly the best defenseman left to sign, and was a guy the Isles flirted with trading for the past couple of years, and after watching their group of d-men at the end of the season (especially after Zhitnik went down) any help on the back line is appreciated.

And although I haven't seen the particulars of the contract, I doubt it's as much as the Leafs spent on McCabe...

EDIT: Farewell Steve Yzerman, one of the classiest guys who ever played. Always loved watching him play, he almost made me want to root for the Red Wings from time to time.

Alucard

Banned
Hmm, Eaton sounds like a pretty good signing by the Pens. Led all Nashville players in shotblocks last season and was up there in ice time and PK time as well. I'm sure Shero knows what he's doing since he watched Eaton play for 5 seasons on the Preds.

Gonchar - Whitney
Welch - Eaton

Not a shabby pair of D lines. Then we've still got Orpik and Cairns. Odelein, Melichar, and Scuderi don't exist. :p

dem

calder said:
Yes I do. Yeah yeah, we don't have a team, but we also don't have a team full of guys begging to leave on the first plane out of town, so that's some consolation I guess.

:lol
Yeah you have a province full of people begging to get out.

Oh wait.. arent you among them? :lol
Have fun in Texas

Alucard

Banned
Wow, Mike Grier to San Jose, eh? The guy's a total workhorse and would be awesome if he actually learned to put the puck in the net. Should be a good fit with the pesky and speedy Sharks.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Alucard said:
Hmm, Eaton sounds like a pretty good signing by the Pens. Led all Nashville players in shotblocks last season and was up there in ice time and PK time as well. I'm sure Shero knows what he's doing since he watched Eaton play for 5 seasons on the Preds.
Eaton is solid and cheap, I wouldn't exactly call him a force out there but he's... solid... and cheap.

:lol The "TV personality" alleged to have been in the Chris Pronger "situation" is trying to sue the entire internet for defamation of character.

Don't want to say too much, as she might sue me too.

Try not BLABBING ABOUT IT to the entire city next time. It might just stay off the internet in that case.

No the girl he tapped isn't as hot as the Sunshine Girl there.

That girl in bishop's post is way hotter than the "alleged individual" or Pronger's wife for that matter.

calder

My idiot brother was telling me over the phone what the "TV personality"s website was but his phone is so shitty I couldn't understand the name. Who is she?!? Chrissy something?

FightyF

Banned
Y'know what, he could have moved to Calgary and lived here while playing in Edmonton. Jason Smith is a Calgary native and still lives here AFAIK. I saw him at the Market Mall Tip Top once. No one else recognized him, but then again that was 4 years ago or so, and back then Calgarians didn't know the sport of hockey even existed.

I think it was the CityTV sports girl.

http://www.citytv.com/edmonton/personalities_11461.aspx

Well ... all I'm going to say is to the individuals/parties involved ... the only thing achieved by threatening websites/message boards/posters with lawsuits is you're legitimizing these rumors even further.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
soundwave said:
Don't want to say too much, as she might sue me too.

pm me the details, I'll post them. I'd like to see some slut in Edmonton try to sue me over something as silly as this. I'd show up in court, laugh, and walk out.

I'm watching CITY TV sports news right now. Gee, this is kind of an interesting show. Hmmm.

edssg276.jpg

If this was the piece of Edmontonian ass that Chris tapped, I'd have no problem. Good for you, man. :lol

A big relief for me was seeing how estatic Joffrey Lupul was arriving at the Edmonton airport, claiming that it's "nice to play in a place where hockey matters".

Get Spacek signed quick.

FightyF

Banned
Yeah Lupul seemed pretty excited.

I have to admit that Edmonton's offense might match Detroit's. I can't think of any other Western teams that'll come close...maybe the Sharks.

My personal feeling is Spacek won't resign, he's friends with Dvorak and Dvorak is going to Buffalo, who are going to overpay for Spacek.

What I think Lowe should do is hoarde cap space. I know people will hate it, but you could land someone like Lecavalier in such a situation when/if Tampa Bay realizes they're not winning another Cup with that core and need to dump salary somewhere.

This is basically how San Jose got Joe Thornton.

I know the fans won't like this in the short term, but both Carolina and Anaheim made the finals in '02 and '03 respectively and then took a step backwards the next year, but both have retooled quickly. A year or two from now you may regret paying $4+ million to Spacek ... I dunno.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Spacek isn't worth that much.
He was incredible when paired with Pronger (just like Bergeron and Smith were), but was merely above average to terrible when paired with Staios.

Don't get me wrong, I still want him signed... but not for anything more than 3.5

Pronger and Neids are gonna be absolutely amazing in Anaheim.
They both play ~30 minutes a game. So, at least 1 should always be on the ice during a Ducks game...crazy.

The Wings select Yzerman with the fourth overall pick in the NHL draft. Wings GM Jim Devellano later said he preferred prospects Sylvain Turgeon and Pat LaFontaine. As it turned out, the Wings were lucky Turgeon and LaFontaine went off the board with the second and third picks, respectively. They did just fine taking Yzerman.

Interesting. Brian Lawton went #1 that year and Tom Barrasso went #5. Other notables: John MacLean #6, Russ Courtnall #7, Cam Neely #9 and Dave Ganer #12.

Later rounds:

Claude Lemieux - 2nd round
Bob Probert - 3rd round
Esa Tikkanen - 4th round
Rick Tocchet - 6th round
Domink Hasek - 10th round
Uwe Krupp - 11th round

SA-X

I'll never forget that game 7 goal against St. Louis. I remember Fuhr was owning the Wings that whole series (games 1 & 2 were both shutout wins for the Blues) so I was amazed when he let in that goal with Yzerman entering the zone and no traffic in front.

Fight for Freeform said:
I have to admit that Edmonton's offense might match Detroit's. I can't think of any other Western teams that'll come close...maybe the Sharks.
Have you looked at the Red Wings forwards that are signed for next year? Zetterberg is going to have to carry the offense by himself for those five months when Datsyuk is on a cold streak. Not to mention that they have no starting goalie.

We're still in the central division though! :lol

FightyF

Banned
SA-X said:
Have you looked at the Red Wings forwards that are signed for next year? Zetterberg is going to have to carry the offense by himself for those five months when Datsyuk is on a cold streak. Not to mention that they have no starting goalie.

We're still in the central division though! :lol

Actually I haven't, I've only been reading the major headlines...you're making me nervous!

dem

It appears that Anson Carter's days as a Vancouver Canuck might be coming to an end.

The two sides are reportedly about a million dollars apart on a new deal.

"I think they have spent all their money," Carter's agent Pat Brisson told TSN.

Brisson said that he hopes to continue talks with the Canucks in the next day or two but is not holding out hope that the gap will be bridged.

And the anemic canucks offense gets a little worse :lol

jasonking.jpg

Hey guys! Its me.... Jason King!! Back from the AHL!
Remember...? mattress line..... no??

sedinwhat.jpg

uhh..

jasonking.jpg

REMEMBER?? A KING AND TWO QUEENS??

queens.jpg

HAWT

jasonking.jpg

WOO!! KINGS BACK

Carter wants $3 million for 3 years. Leafs and Kings are among the teams after him.

We could afford that as well.

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky

Pisani-Schremp-Lupul

Torres-Stoll-Carter

Man that would be sick.

Is Samsonov better or Carter?

soundwave05 said:
Is Samsonov better or Carter?

Hmmm....I've always liked both but I feel Carter will never repeat last season's scoring and Samsonov will always frustrate you with the classic "Why can't he do that every night?!" type of game.

It's a toss up IMO.

Reilly

SA-X said:
I'll never forget that game 7 goal against St. Louis. I remember Fuhr was owning the Wings that whole series (games 1 & 2 were both shutout wins for the Blues) so I was amazed when he let in that goal with Yzerman entering the zone and no traffic in front.

Jon Casey was in net, not Fuhr. Without looking, I believe Fuhr got injured the previous series when Kypreos "fell" on him.

Samsonov is more of a passer, Carter more of a finisher.

We could use another finisher even with Lupul on board. But with Schremp as well ... he's a scorer/shoot first ask questions later type of player too.

So we might be better off with Samsonov feeding him.

Decisions, decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom