• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightyF

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Dunno if it's true but the rumor is Montreal is preparing to deal Souray plus perhaps another forward to Tampa Bay for Martin St. Louis.

That's why they signed Tom Poti for $3+ million/year (OUCH!).

Teams are waaaaaay overpaying for defenseman.

I see both sides of the coin. On one hand, you have a faster NHL with more shots and more scoring. Unexperienced D are getting burned pretty bad. D coming up from the WHL and such are too used to having their sticks up where they shouldn't be. So experienced D are well worth it in that regard.

But on the other hand Carolina had a D lineup that wasn't that star studded or highly paid as some of their competition but did an excellent job all season and throughout the playoffs.

Fight for Freeform said:
I see both sides of the coin. On one hand, you have a faster NHL with more shots and more scoring. Unexperienced D are getting burned pretty bad. D coming up from the WHL and such are too used to having their sticks up where they shouldn't be. So experienced D are well worth it in that regard.

But on the other hand Carolina had a D lineup that wasn't that star studded or highly paid as some of their competition but did an excellent job all season and throughout the playoffs.

If you're saying in regards to the Oilers ... the Oilers are going to play a more offensive-oriented style next year, obviously.

Overpaying for Spacek would've been a move that people would've regretted in the long run. He's solid, but not worth $3-$4 million and looked better than he was because of Pronger.

Really what's happening right now is teams that didn't make the playoffs are throwing money around like crazy, driving up market value, but you're not getting what you're paying for.

You'll be able to get better value in a trade or during the season.

I actually wouldn't be against bringing back Tarnstrom. I felt he was really solid when he played in the Finals. Brian Leetch, a veteran defenseman could also help the younger guys out. Both could be had for a more reasonable, probably 1-2 year contract, rather than something like $3.5 mill for 3-4 years.

EDIT: The Red Wings are going to try for Belfour in net? Are they insane?

Wolf

GO HABS GO
soundwave05 said:
Dunno if it's true but the rumor is Montreal is preparing to deal Souray plus perhaps another forward to Tampa Bay for Martin St. Louis.

That's why they signed Tom Poti for $3+ million/year (OUCH!).

Montreal hasn't signed Poti, it's just a rumor from what I'm reading.

About St Louis...ehh, why not. I'm not a huge fan, but the guy can put up 60-70 points a year, and the Habs are extremley thin on players who can do anything close to that.

The Red Wings are going to try for Belfour in net? Are they insane?

yes.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Crazymoogle said:
For a 2nd round pick and a conditional pick! :lol

Well, kinda surprised the Canucks got off that good; the picks are nothing to write home about but the team didn't have to take on salary in return. So that frees up what, 2.5m?
That's the important part of this whole equation, and yes, we've freed up 2.5 million. No way Carter gets 3 years at 3 million though, that's just crazy money for somebody who didn't produce until he was paired with the Sedin twins. I think most GMs around the league are thinking the same way, that's why he hasn't been picked up yet. There's a nice symbiotic relationship between the brother and the brothers, I'm interested to see how negotiations shake out.

$3 million/year for a 30+ goal scorer is pretty much market value right now though. Probably actually under market value.

Carter's had good seasons in the past without the Sedins as well, his highest point total actually was in Edmonton, not last year. I don't think it's really a question of if he can produce. He'd do well with several teams I would think.

Dallas, New York, Toronto, Montreal, and many others would be interested in having him for $3 million.

The Canucks signed Willie Mitchell to $3.5 mill/per ... Carter is supposed to be happy with less than that? If any of us were in his shoes, we'd all be looking for $3 mill/season at least. Shouldn't Vancouver be able to offer $3 million anyway?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Whether they can isn't the issue - it's whether they should. The market for defencemen is much stronger, so they're getting more $$. He floated for years before clicking with the Sedins - I'm assuming there *was* a reason why he was shipped out of Edmonton in the first place. I'm not saying that the other teams you mentioned shouldn't give him a look - it's a lot more plausible than that "Philly/Tampa Bay/Florida all lust for Pronger!" nonsense you were spouting a page or so back :) - but if I'm a GM in the league, I want to know how much of his success last year breaks down between him and his linemates.

I'm not calling Anson Carter the Blair Macdonald to Henrik/Daniel Sedin's Wayne Gretzky, but the question is there to be asked.

bishoptl said:
Whether they can isn't the issue - it's whether they should. The market for defencemen is much stronger, so they're getting more $$. He floated for years before clicking with the Sedins - I'm assuming there *was* a reason why he was shipped out of Edmonton in the first place. I'm not saying that the other teams you mentioned shouldn't give him a look - it's a lot more plausible than that "Philly/Tampa Bay/Florida all lust for Pronger!" nonsense you were spouting a page or so back :) - but if I'm a GM in the league, I want to know how much of his success last year breaks down between him and his linemates.

I'm not calling Anson Carter the Blair Macdonald to Henrik/Daniel Sedin's Wayne Gretzky, but the question is there to be asked.

Bottom line is how many team's expect their highest scoring player to be the no.5 salary guy on the team?

From his P.O.V., sure I could see him not being cool with that. This is probably the last big contract he's going to get as a pro athlete as well. Assuming he's 34/35 when this contract is done, he's not likely to be in a position to make this kind of $$$ again for the rest of his life.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
If the market is there for him at that price, he'd be snapped up by now. He hasn't and based on that, there's a discussion to be had as to why. That's all I'm saying.

He was great for us last year, but I remember the not-quite-as-productive years in LA, Boston, NY, Washington...doing well in Edmonton years back and clicking with the Sedins in a contract year doesn't necessarily translate into a home-run contract. I hope we get Carter back, but it has to be at a price that makes sense for the Canucks.

If he's willing to accept $2.5 million/per, hell I'd take him back in Edmonton. We have the cap room.

I hope the free agent market has settled down a bit ... GMs were getting too crazy there for the first few days.

soundwave05 said:
If he's willing to accept $2.5 million/per, hell I'd take him back in Edmonton. We have the cap room.

I hope the free agent market has settled down a bit ... GMs were getting too crazy there for the first few days.

Probably cause every GM in the market was like "LUONGOBERTUZZIWTF!!!!" and decided that they didn't want to lose any chances for good players.

Spacek gone, that sucks :(

we need some Defence brought in, Smith is awesome, Bergeron plays pretty good, Tarnstrom was playing solid in the playoffs imo...need someone whos a workhorse like Pronger though, someone who can be on half the game.

on a weird side note, Todd Harvey looks a lot like Orlando Bloom :p

edit:
TemplaerDude said:
Laraque signs in Pheonix for two years, 1.2 million per (wtf?)
Players continue to leave Edmonton.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Laraque :(, the dude is part of Edmonton, sure hes not that good, but damn is he ever entertaining to watch... i had heard that they werent trying to keep him here, but i was hoping it wasnt true :(

LOL, good riddance to Laraque, he can't play in the new NHL. Too slow. Like the guy, but you can't just throw around $1 million here, $1 million there with the cap being the way it is.

soundwave05 said:
LOL, good riddance to Laraque, he can't play in the new NHL. Too slow. Like the guy, but you can't just throw around $1 million here, $1 million there with the cap being the way it is.

But laraque is awesome :(, he doesnt get enough time on the ice anymore to show how good he is !! ...im glad he went to a team i dont hate though, Gretzkys Oilers #2 in Pheonix are comming alone nicely :p

Karakand

TemplaerDude said:
Cloutier to LA... poor kings.

**for a second round pick and a conditional draft pick. Ownaaage.

Can you really blame them? The Kings wouldn't know a good goalie from their assholes.

Karakand said:
Can you really blame them? The Kings wouldn't know a good goalie from their assholes.

kellyhrudey.jpg

I've always wondered about this. If the Ducks suck and the Kings are good, would you then just cheer for the Kings?

I know a lot of Laker/Clipper fans flip-flopped during last year's playoffs.

Karakand

Oh no, absolutely not. **** division rivals. I was a Kings fan growing up because they were the only team in the Greater Los Angeles Area. I'm from Orange County, so when we got a team of our own I switched to the Ducks and never looked back. Think I still have a gang banger Kings jersey (the silver and black ones) in my closet, though. :lol

Most sane Angelenos were positive about the Clip's postseason run because it was just too hard to hate them. Only the extreme Laker fans weren't happy to have the perennial laughing stock of the NBA actually accomplish something.

soundwave05 said:

?
Marty's no trade clause kicked in July 1st... unless he's waiving it, this is news to me.

Lord Helmet said:
?
Marty's no trade clause kicked in July 1st... unless he's waiving it, this is news to me.

I'd assume he wouldn't mind playing in Montreal. Isn't that supposed to be like every Quebec-native hockey player's dream, to play for the Habs?

That "Hockey Sweater" story they tell Canadian kids in school is all a lie!

I'm hoping the schedule is better next year.

Playing divisional rivals like 20 times gets a little old after awhile. It's nice to see teams from the opposite seaboard more often.

Now that Cloutier is dumped, who do we pick up with the $2.55 million? Carter? An upcoming superstar RW? A solid centerman so we can dump Morrison's $3.2 anchor?

The NHL's schedule is asinine, so expect Bettman to keep it for another 5 years before realizing it.

Rivalries are made in the playoffs, you can't manufacture them in the regular season. It's also great that you have some actually marketable young stars in Crosby and Ovechkin, but your fans out West never get to see them.

soundwave05 said:
The NHL's schedule is asinine, so expect Bettman to keep it for another 5 years before realizing it.

Actually, it simply saves GM's money for the long flight and accomodation costs.

This is why the new MyNHL is so profitable.

calder

The players do really like the unbalanced schedule. Sure they hate playing the same mofo's all the time like we hate watching the same matchups all the time, but the teams and the players love the reduced travel.

Ideal solution that would never happen? Remove 10 games from the sched, end the seasona couple of weeks sooner and spread out the remaining games a bit.

The NHL Fan forum had a bunch of survey's with a few questions about the schedule and then went back and had a long survey about nothing but scheduling. They might actually change it in 2 years, they sure were hot to find out exactly how many games vs X fans wanted to see.

Karakand

soundwave05 said:
Rivalries are made in the playoffs, you can't manufacture them in the regular season.

Seems to work in the NFL, though I'm not against cutting down the number of divisional games.

Team owners wouldn't go along with a reduced regular season though ... it would really hurt the teams that don't make the playoffs on any given year, because 10 games worth of revune is an awful big chunk of change.

Or ... maybe add a best-of-5 extra round to the playoffs, but reduce the regular season by 10 games.

Maybe that would make the owners happy.

The revunes of the teams aren't going to increase much though. The NHL still doesn't have a big-time U.S. TV network deal like any of the other major pro (and in some cases, college) sports have. I don't think the salary cap will rise too much next year. There's a limit to how much money the NHL can make with the fanbase being where it is now and the promotional/TV networking side of things being fairly dismal.

As good as Crosby/Oveckin are ... I'm not sure if they're as marketable/transcendant over hockey the way Gretzky/Messier/Lemiuex were, but they are definitely a step up from Lindros who was supposed to carry the league in the 90s.

Malakhov

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I'd assume he wouldn't mind playing in Montreal. Isn't that supposed to be like every Quebec-native hockey player's dream, to play for the Habs?

That "Hockey Sweater" story they tell Canadian kids in school is all a lie!
No, Marty said on a few occasions that he wouldn't want to play in Montreal. Too much media pressure and exposure, it's just hell here for Quebec born players.

Malakhov said:
No, Marty said on a few occasions that he wouldn't want to play in Montreal. Too much media pressure and exposure, it's just hell here for Quebec born players.

True, although it would kinda be embarrassing to come back to a team that wants to trade you.

Giard

Malakhov said:

I'd say it's pretty much hell for every hockey player...not only Quebecers

If you play 2 good games in a row, you're considered a god of hockey
If you play 2 bad games in a row, you're the worst player ever and you need to be traded as soon as possible

And of course....no one's perfect, so the latter option happens a lot. No one wants to play at Montreal because the people like hockey too much, and the media has too much implication in it. But of course, I bet you all knew that :D

St. Louis Defense:
Jackman
Backman
Wideman
Dallman

...somehow, I sense a trend. Perhaps we can use this trend to discover who Davidson might sign next.

calder

They'll swing a trade for the Sens recent draft pick Kevin Koopman. But he's more of a 6-7th D (in the ahl) at this point in his career. Maybe trade for Niklas Grossman, he's more NHL ready. Worst case scenario? They lure Dave Manson out of retirement.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Crazymoogle said:
St. Louis Defense:
Jackman
Backman
Wideman
Dallman

...somehow, I sense a trend. Perhaps we can use this trend to discover who Davidson might sign next.

i think this will all be a ploy to market the blues as the only team of "men"

FightyF

Banned
Yeah, Edmonton didn't want Laraque which is really odd IMO, there is always a time during the season and the playoffs where you want a guy like that on your roster. Plus he was such a big personality being on Joe FM and stuff like that.

I wouldn't consider him slow at all. Playing 6 minutes a game it's hard to get your legs back after sitting a good half hour between shifts (including TV time outs and stuff). I wonder if he'll get more ice time on Pheonix, he may grow there.

Last year was the only time I got to see Spacek play for the most part...and I think he's a solid D who can move the puck up ice (whether by carrying it or passing it). His passing skills really help the team's transition game and the Oilers used to have that in Brewer and Pronger, anyways, I consider him a loss. Especially if the Oilers are turning into an offensive minded team...you need people in the back who can move it up well.

Oilers sign Tjarnqvist...heh, another Greene?

Anyways, SA-X, I haven't been able to find any news regarding Detroit...it's as if they haven't done anything during the last week (except the retirement of Stevie Y of course).

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
...roofles

Doug MacLean must be high and/or wilfully blind. Did he not see Conklin shit the bed repeatedly last season?

Barrage

...At least Ty Conklin would never play in a playoff game for Dallas. Unlike Edmonton.

And save your excuses about Roloson breaking his bitch bone. Turco tore his ACL in half the night before the Colorado series started, and did you hear a complaint? No. What a trooper.

I liked the two moves by Dallas reported earlier. Halpern will be a solid 4th line guy for the next few years, and "Bam Bam" is just an awesome quote.

Speaking of awesome quotes, it was awesome to see J.R. trying to respond politically correctly on Off The Record. In particular, to the question of whether he will get 16 goals this year. "Um...well... I don't want to make a guarantee, but...yeah, you could, you could,....it's a very safe bet...YES. I WILL get 16." Too bad I still have to hate him because he's once again on a division rival.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Ribs is my personal Tie Domi. Not to mention that his ability to fake injuries put pro soccer players to shame. Get rid of him already Gainey.

Reilly

Kabuki Waq said:
why did the habs sign RIbero again?

Because he's from Montreal. You can blame the canadian mentality that every team must have a few players from the surrounding area to keep interest from the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom