• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but our offense is such that we could use some leeches perhaps. We have a lot of guys who like to skate around and then pass it off.

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky

Samsonov-Schremp-Lupul

Pisani-Stoll-Torres

Is pretty good too. You can mix and match, obviously, somone like Pisani may move up to the 1st line even, Schremp to the 3rd, or whatever.

Samsonov or Hemsky with shooters like Lupul + Schremp are going to score a lot.

Is there a website where you can check player salaries for entire duration of their contract?

The NHLPA website only lists what the player's will be making for the next season.

SA-X

Reilly said:
Jon Casey was in net, not Fuhr. Without looking, I believe Fuhr got injured the previous series when Kypreos "fell" on him.
Oh wait, I was thinking about the '97 series when Fuhr was owning the Wings at the start of that series then. Gah, my jambled memory fails me. :p

Malakhov

Banned
So disapointed so far but there's still a few players in the UFA pool I would like to see in an Habs uniform.

One of our biggest need is a second line left winger, I could see Brendan Shanahan or Sergei Samsonov filling that need and they're still out there.

We're also missing a 4th line player to play with Begin and Murray and the player I've wanted for this is still there, so please Gainey, pick up the phone and call Jarkko Ruutu's agent now.

Our defense is fine as it is for now, though I'm sad to see Souray is still part of it. I would of liked maybe giving Sean Hill a call, or a guy like Danny Markov or Jaroslav Spacek. As far as a PP QB is concerned, there's still Poti left.

There's also a guy like Anson Carter who's a good goal scorer who could help our offense tremendously but he's a right winger.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Shanahan/Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Plekanec -Carter
Ruutu - Begin - Murray

Markov - Komisarek
Souray - Rivet
Bouillon - Dandeneault

Huet
Danis

Alucard

Banned
Samsonov and Kovalev on the same line could potentially be pretty awesome. Too bad you'll have to keep on dreaming, eh? :p

dem

Wow.. the list of dmen left is truly awful

Time to sign Pitkanen to an offer sheet, the flyers are having cap trouble arent they? Offer him 4.5 and see what happens. I think that would only cost 3 first rounders.. well worth it. I'm suprised someone hasn't tried it yet in the new cba.

Wow.. the compensation isnt even multiple first rounders anymore. Its a 1st,2nd,3rd :lol
Some GM needs to grow some balls and do this.

I've always thought it was taboo to chase other teams RFAs because then they'll start chasing yours.

Pitaken is nice, but Philly could turn around with those draft picks and offer Hemsky $4 million or something.

Shanahan playing for the Habs would be interesting.

calder

Spezza resigned for 2 years at 4.5 per. Pretty good deal for both sides, 4.5 isn't much for a young #1 center who should be in the top 10 in scoring this year if his back is ok, and a 2 year deal is good for him because he'll likely be worth near the cap max when it's done.

pops619

Can someone tell me about Ruutu? Is he more than just a cheapshot artist? Is he skilled enough to play regularly? Is he any good defensively and on the penalty kill?

Malakhov

Banned
Leafs signed Raycroft for 3 years, 1.8 million the first season, 2 the second, 2.2 the third. Good deal if he regains his form.

Popstar

pops619 said:
Can someone tell me about Ruutu? Is he more than just a cheapshot artist? Is he skilled enough to play regularly? Is he any good defensively and on the penalty kill?
He's a solid 3rd/4th line guy. He was playing every game for the last couple seasons. Does the pest role well against more skilled players. Is decent on the penalty kill. He was probably Vancouver's best 'grinder'.

Popstar

Cooke is much much better than Ruutu offensively but not as good defensively. I would put Ruutu before him because Ruutu has been more reliable. He played every game last year while Cooke only played a little more than half of the last two seasons because of injuries.

dem

roenick.jpg

This summer I've rededicated myself to being in the best shape of my life. I'm in LA working out with the trainer guru TR. he trains many players but he's committed to kicking the shit out of me to get that drive back. Boy it has been there. I'm in the gym at 5:30 every morning six days a week. Double sessions three days a week.

agent.jpg

Jeremy.. Good news! We've got an offer from Phoenix. What should we do?

roenickgolf.jpg

Hmmmmm

roenickclubs.jpg

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
ruutu_b.jpg

SPTSep001.jpg

1patr08.l.jpg

ference_b.jpg

ruutu5xf.jpg

finstache1ap.jpg

ruutuandwarrener3kt0dq.gif

and he will *always* be forever revered for this:

trip.gif

God bless you, Jarkko - for many years of service, humility and hilarity in a Canucks uniform. May you prosper in Portla- uh, Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh.

Malakhov said:
Leafs signed Raycroft for 3 years, 1.8 million the first season, 2 the second, 2.2 the third. Good deal if he regains his form.

Why not instead wait 30-40 games next season and see if this guy still has it? Signing an "iffy" goalie for 3 years makes little sense to me.

bishoptl said:
God bless you, Jarkko - for many years of service, humility and hilarity in a Canucks uniform. May you prosper in Portla- uh, Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh.

Yes, who will step up to the big boys from Calgary this year?

Will it be?

DesperateCanucks.jpg

Matt Cooke? Probably not he's busy.

sedin100302-cc.jpg

the Syndrome Twins? Doesn't look like it.

DsedinVan_184x250.jpg

Look one of them is trying hard though!

bertuzzi_jovanovski051221_cp.jpg

Definately not these fairies.

marcusamcry.gif

Have fun this year!!! :lol
sport-iginla_article0804.jpg

Drensch

I swear to god this salary horsehit pisses me off. 5 guys that were gonna retire in avs unis have had to leave because of money comitted 5 years ago.

Barrage

Now Bish. Is it not possible Yoda was simply saying that Bertuzzi was a mythical pixie-like creature? I'm sorry that I am a more trusting person than you.

I think that we should now have a ceremony to mourn the relevance of the "Bertuzzi Crying" picture, which has been used so greatly in the recent past. Sleep well, fair prince.

040310Bertuzzi_vmed_7p.vmedium.jpg

YOU ARE THE WIND BENEATH OUR WINGS

Socreges

Banned
Honestly the Canucks lineup isnt looking so promising at this point. We may have effectively just become the Florida Panthers Redux.

Then again there is some serious upside.

- If Naslund is healthier this season, short of mental strain, and can regain his MVP form (maybe not to this extent, but to expect more than 05/06 is fair)
- If the Sedins continue to improve - a compatible linemate will be needed, of course
- If Bourdon can make the team and support a spotty Canucks D
- If Morrison and Cooke, presumably now free of injury, can play as fans expect them to
- If Luongo can match his reputation

There really doesnt appear to be much depth, though, which concerns me.

Malakhov

Banned
There's no question marks about Luongo, he will perform.

The Canucks are just assraped as far as cap space is concerned, they will have to pull some trades.

Socreges

Banned
I know he is French-Canadian and you love him for that, but everyone has question marks.

One problem with the Canucks is that they don't have enough of those young, upcoming stars that are playing awesome hockey for little money. Those players where their time will come and they eventually, but not at this moment, are too expensive or force out other players. Every team needs those and the Canucks have none.

Kingpen

bishoptl said:
"fairies"? Bad form.

trip.gif

whoops

Yeah... too bad the guy in your clip just signed with Pittsburgh...

Also... Portland Penguins aint going to happen...

edit: my bad I didn't see the previous post about you bidding Ruutu goodbye....

FightyF

Banned
Reasoner is not going to replace Peca...Peca is simply one of the best defensive forwards I've ever seen (if he can play a season like he played this last playoffs).

The Oilers lost 2 irreplacable players, really. But I guess they still have a lot of money.

Any news on Calgary's coaching situation? I may have missed an old announcement, but AFAIK Sutter was going strictly GM and looking at another coach (not Brent Sutter as he's heavily invested in the Rebels).

Tanguay signed for 3 years 5.25 million per year.

Friesen signed for 1 year 1.2 million dollars.

Now all we need is a goalie to back Kiprusoff up.

Sutter still hasn't let on as to the coaching situation. I'm thinking he's gonna give Playfair the reigns, but we'll see.

Alucard

Banned
C'mon Shero, sign a proven scoring winger. A 30 goal man would be juuuust fine. :p

Actually, we're not looking TOO bad...

Crosby, Malkin, Armstrong, Malone, Ouellet (needs to find consistency), Christensen, Rita...

I'd really like to have Hilbert back too.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Alucard said:
C'mon Shero, sign a proven scoring winger. A 30 goal man would be juuuust fine. :p
Who's left though? Perrault might be a good cheap fit for you guys. I don't see how anyone can complain about the job Shero has done so far.

Alucard

Banned
sefskillz said:
Who's left though? Perrault might be a good cheap fit for you guys. I don't see how anyone can complain about the job Shero has done so far.

I'm not complaining one bit. :) I think he's done a good job so far. I'd just really like to see someone like a Samsonov or a Straka to complement Malkin or Crosby on the wing. We don't have anyone like that right now...someone who can burst down the wing and beat a man or two along the way. Pens need more Euros!

TemplaerDude said:
Cloutier to LA... poor kings.

For a 2nd round pick and a conditional pick! :lol

Well, kinda surprised the Canucks got off that good; the picks are nothing to write home about but the team didn't have to take on salary in return. So that frees up what, 2.5m?

Dunno if it's true but the rumor is Montreal is preparing to deal Souray plus perhaps another forward to Tampa Bay for Martin St. Louis.

That's why they signed Tom Poti for $3+ million/year (OUCH!).

Teams are waaaaaay overpaying for defenseman.

Also, apparently Jeremy Roenick was very close to signing with Calgary, but opted for Phoenix at the last minute (got this from the Canucks board so don't shoot the messenger):

slap.jpg

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom