• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fifty

Wow, Peca. Don Cherry's gonna have to keep from splooging all over the place now that one of his favourite players is on Toronto. This could get sticky. Please, I invite you to think about Don Cherry beating off. I hope Peca's family enjoys it here.

Sandman42

Malakhov said:
Kilger and best doesn't go together in a sentence.
Kilger was damn good last year. He may have hands of stone but he has tremedous work ethic, the hardest shot on the team, and plays a gritty physical game. He was one of our best 5 on 5 players last year scoring 17 goals. The same amount as your captain, Saku Koivu.:lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
if the leafs could dump belak and one of their backup goalies - they'd have $1.2 million extra to work with. After stajan, that would leave a little over $2 million to work with... and i think anson carter would take it

i believe the leafs should do something like that and be just under the cap, none of this "bu bu bu bu trade deadline" bullshit

Malakhov

Banned
Sandman42 said:
Kilger was damn good last year. He may have hands of stone but he has tremedous work ethic, the hardest shot on the team, and plays a gritty physical game. He was one of our best 5 on 5 players last year scoring 17 goals. The same amount as your captain, Saku Koivu.:lol
Koivu's not a goal scorer, he's a passer and he gets more than two thirds of his points in assists. I think he only had more than 20 goals twice in his career...

Kilger blows, I've seen more than my share of him with the Habs, thank you very much.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Malakhov said:
Koivu's not a goal scorer, he's a passer and he gets more than two thirds of his points in assists. I think he only had more than 20 goals twice in his career...

Kilger blows, I've seen more than my share of him with the Habs, thank you very much.

He has been a different player on the Leafs than he was on the Habs, I guess he realized that he better start trying hard if he wanted to stay in the NHL. He has found his niche as a strong checking forward. If he didn't have hands of stone though he might of had 30 goals last year.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
ForzaItalia said:
Leaf sign Peca when they clearly need scoring wingers.....

Wake up JFJ!!!

Leafs aren't getting any scoring wingers, Sundin will have to carry some more scrubs on his line. But I think he plays better with scrubs than with superstars. His best years came with playing with Berezin, Hoglund instead of playing with Mogilny or Roberts. Look at this year he started scoring like crazy with Antropov or Pohl on his line. He didn't do much with O'Neill or Steen.

Sandman42

Fifty said:
Pat Quinn
Pat Quinn can start his own team full of players he loves! He can also be the GM and Coach.

It would look a little something like this:

Hoglund-Reichel-Renberg
Berezin-Antropov-Nolan
Kristich-Green-Valk
Fitzgerald-Corson-Domi

Cross-Belak
Berg-Lumme
Jackman-Berehowsky

Kidd
Healy

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
BigJonsson said:
Peca and Tucker together? Is the world coming to an end?

Peca said that he doesn't mind playing with Tucker and doesn't hold any resentment towards him from Tuckers hit on him. Anyways if Nieuwendyk and Marchment can get along, I forsee no problems with Peca and Tucker.

Come on Maurice:

Kilger-Peca-Tucker, make it happen. They can check the crap out of the other teams first line.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
OMG Garth Snow is the new NY Islanders GM. LO ****ing L.

From the TSN article
"I spoke with Garth at length throughout the spring about the general manager's position and he really impressed me with his passion and his knowledge," said Islanders owner Charles Wang.

"When the job opened up, the choice was an easy one. Garth knows the league as well as anyone, has an eye for talent and understands how our staff works as a team. Most importantly, Garth is a man of integrity, someone I trust will work hard, be creative and represent the Islanders with dignity."

When the hell did Garth Snow retire? I wonder if he will be a player-general manager and force Nolan to play him more. What a ****ing circus.

Sandman42

Wait, this has to be a joke. There is no way anyone would fire a stanley cup winning GM and then hire a backup goalie as the GM? Right?

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Sandman42 said:
Wait, this has to be a joke. There is no way anyone would fire a stanley cup winning GM and then hire a backup goalie as the GM? Right?

This is what happens when you let your owner go wild.

Congratulations Toronto Maple Leaf fans, you now only have the second worst management team in the NHL!

Garth Snow, jesus titty****ing christ :lol

Mike Peca said:
"My willingness to play in Toronto goes beyond being from Toronto, it's recognizing an organization that prides itself on wanting to win, and really taking every step necessary where they see fit to try to provide that for the fans."

:lol :lol :lol

Fifty

Mike Works said:
Congratulations Toronto Maple Leaf fans, you now only have the second worst management team in the NHL!

Thank you, this means so much. I love the Islanders!

I guess Garth Snow's years of sitting on the bench and hitting on girls make him the ideal man for the GM role. You can do it Snowman!

50948.jpg

dont you think you guys are going overboard here. I mean really just because he was a former Goaltender does not mean he is Worse than JFJ i mean really how could anyone be worse than JFJ?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
This is truly one of the greatest days in NHL history. Wow. I mean, you go from a proven Cup-winner to Captain MaxiPads in less than one day. This is what happens when the owner hires the coach before the GM...****ing anarchy.

You realize, of course, that when Ted Nolan eventually gets fired from this gig - HE WILL NEVER COACH IN THE NHL AGAIN. Guaranteed.

Sandman42

bishoptl said:
This is truly one of the greatest days in NHL history. Wow. I mean, you go from a proven Cup-winner to Captain MaxiPads in less than one day. This is what happens when the owner hires the coach before the GM...****ing anarchy.

You realize, of course, that when Ted Nolan eventually gets fired from this gig - HE WILL NEVER COACH IN THE NHL AGAIN. Guaranteed.
True, there is no way any GM will take a chance on Nolan now. He is a proven GM killer.

calder

islanders_47438.jpg

"Whoa, what the **** was that? Two months, that's all I get?"

NY159071819_lower.jpg

"I'm excited for this chance to parlay a career as a mediocre goalie with stupid-big pads into becoming, somehow, the GM for a major market team with absolutely no relevant experience of any kind. But wait till you see the shoulder pads on the suits I'm getting made, I'm talking huge!"

NYFF102071818_lower.jpg

"Why did I let a shitty player at the end of a totally lackluster career talk me into firing a GM who'd been on the job for about half the off-season and hiring him instead? One word: I'm an idiot."

milbury_mike060112_cp.jpg

"Lol, bitches never saw that shit coming. Heads up Nolan, you're getting kneecapped and replaced by a nub ex-player who'll do what I tell him next!"

Report: LaFontaine leaves Islanders

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CP) - The fallout continues on Long Island.

New York Islanders senior adviser Pat LaFontaine advised Islanders owner Charles Wang on Tuesday night that he is resigning, a source told The Canadian Press.

LaFontaine was hired on June 8, the same day the Islanders hired Ted Nolan as their new coach and Neil Smith as general manager.

In the wake of Smith's stunning firing on Tuesday, LaFontaine handed his resignation to Wang following the news conference.

WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON

:lol :lol :lol

Seriously, what is the deal with Nolan? How does a guy go from winning the Jack Adams award (best coach) to not having an NHL coacing job for 8 years?

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
professor_t said:
Seriously, what is the deal with Nolan? How does a guy go from winning the Jack Adams award (best coach) to not having an NHL coacing job for 8 years?

He tried to get his GM fired in Buffalo.

R_GILL said:
He tried to get his GM fired in Buffalo.

Then he must be crazy, because the GM at the time was John Muckler, who was riding high back then as the NHL's executive of the year.

The hot rumor in Buffalo was that he had slept with Hasek's wife, but even that shouldn't be enough to ostracize a guy for 8 years. A Cleveland Steamer, maybe, but not just some run of the mill hide the salami.

Sandman42

LaFontaine is a smart man. He knows that the organization is going to shit so he is getting the hell out of there.

By the way, I heard that Charles Wang plays tennis with Carol Alt, supermodel, actress, and Alexei Yashin's wife. That is the reason why he doesn't want to trade or buy out Yashin.

Malakhov

Banned
Apparently Smith said he had troubles working with the new front offices, I don't think it's Nolan who's causing all this but Milbury, he's just a freaking idiot.

Sandman42

Malakhov said:
Apparently Smith said he had troubles working with the new front offices, I don't think it's Nolan who's causing all this but Milbury, he's just a freaking idiot.
I cannot believe Milbury is still involved with the Islanders. He has to be one of the worst GM's ever. He must be bum buddies with Wang.

calder

Yeah, I really doubt Nolan is behind this latest mess, he's probably hiding under the desk in his office hoping the shit blows over and wondering how good a knob-polisher Garth Snow (!) is to go from worthless goalie to GM over a 2 month period.

As fun as it is to assume Mad Mike is responsible behind the scenes, based on the reports it sounds like Garth Snow chatted up Wang and positioned himself to take over after Smith ran into some early troubles with some other Islanders front-office personel. I think Wang just was pissed at Smith after actually working with him a bit and used some flimsy pretext to can him quick before he got entrenched, having Snow (!) as a ready replacement.

I'd say Milbury has some dirt on Chang and Snow probably likewise too. That's the only logical explanation I can come up with here.

P.S. Good for Lafontaine. Always liked the guy and he obviously has integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom