• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ducks' Bryzgalov sees himself as No. 1

One of the last things an NHL team wants to endure is a goaltending controversy, and the Anaheim Ducks could have their hands full next season with their two netminders.

Ducks goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov told a Russian newspaper Saturday that the team wants him to be the No. 1 goaltender next season instead of Jean-Sebastien Giguere.

"I got a call from the club and they told me that they see me as their number one goaltender," he told Sovietsky Sport newspaper. "They also want to trade Giguere but no one wants him."
damn.jpg

FightyF

Banned
I just read the Edm SUN and the Oilers confirmed that they talked to him a week ago but didn't do anything since. I don't think they're seriously looking at him (as in lay down some heavy cash)...but who knows if Lindros would pick the team over others?

If healthy, he's an asset to any team. I thought he fit in well with the Leafs, and for the money they were paying for him, it was a good deal for them. Then again, I'm a Eastern Conference/Leafs outsider looking in.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Kabuki Waq said:
fans like you are teh reason Toronto owners make stupid ass signings.

I really don't see the point of saying that, I mean its not like he is making a lot of money or taking up a lot of cap room. Plus when healthy he can still make a difference and help improve a team.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
R_GILL said:
I really don't see the point of saying that, I mean its not like he is making a lot of money or taking up a lot of cap room. Plus when healthy he can still make a difference and help improve a team.

In today's game 1.5-2m is alot of cap room for someone who will be excess baggage and be injured 50% of the time.

From the Toronto Star:

We asked readers what they thought of the Maple Leafs moves so far this summer. Here is a sample of reader's responses:

What would it say about JFJ's judgement if he signed Allison again? Did Allison get faster, smaller, and fitter since the end of the season? A minor-leaguer with some wheels would do a better job without digging into Mats' ice-time. But then again maybe things will come together for him like they did for Jonas Hogland. Leafs fans are patient; we can wait.
Todd Glarb, Toronto

JFJ should be applauded. He will soon have the most significant signing for the Leafs in years. His own replacement. Can't he learn from his lessons? If Allison is such a bargain, why isn't another team signing him? I'd rather see a deal with New Jersey to get Mogilny back. And why Raycroft? Why not get Biron who is unhappy with being a backup, is cheap, and had a very good winning record last season.
Andrew Barrie, Toronto

Kubina should be a competent 3rd defenceman, but 5 million a year puts him a mere 1 million shy of Rob Blake's salary. Clearly, he's nowhere near Blake's level. Will a slow footed Hal Gill really be an upgrade from Aki Berg or Khavanov? He's been with the Bruins for years and they've been mediocre that whole time. The notion that Andrew Raycroft is a bona fide #1 goaltender is ridiculous. He didn't even play at an NHL level last season! How Ferguson could make that leap of faith is beyond me. Still, he could regain Calder trophy winning form and make JFJ appear prophetic. This could be the move that determines the GM's future.
Doug Witticker, Toronto

Great moves by T.O.! They got a pretty good goalie at a cheap price; imagine, they have three capable goalies for around $3 million combined! Potentially the best 1-2-3 combo in the league! Sad to see Domi, go but its time to move on. Still, the Leafs need to get rid of Antropov while the can, as he is so inconsistent, and they need to bring back Gary Roberts. As well, they should sign Lindros for cheap (like 700,000) and they will be in good shape for the year. JFJ got it right this year: defence is the key.
Josegh Richards, Oshawa

I think JFJ did an excellent job picking up Kubina and Gill. Anahiem may now have the best 2 defencemen in the world, but what good are 2 good defenceman when you can have 4 like the Leafs?
Mohsin Jeelani, Toronto

:lol at the last comment....

Socreges

Banned
Great moves by T.O.! They got a pretty good goalie at a cheap price; imagine, they have three capable goalies for around $3 million combined! Potentially the best 1-2-3 combo in the league!
God, I can't tell if this is a joke or not! :lol

VALIS

What do you guys think of Nick Kypreos as a broadcaster? Rumor has it he's being considered to be John Davidson's replacement for the Rangers. I've seen him once or twice on Center Ice, and I can't say I remember how he was, really.

VALIS said:
What do you guys think of Nick Kypreos as a broadcaster? Rumor has it he's being considered to be John Davidson's replacement for the Rangers. I've seen him once or twice on Center Ice, and I can't say I remember how he was, really.

Nick Kypreos is a shit bag that should be taken off the list of Any serious NHL broadcasters.

He's the only reason I can't stand Sportsnet.

VALIS

The Bookerman said:
Nick Kypreos is a shit bag that should be taken off the list of Any serious NHL broadcasters.

He's the only reason I can't stand Sportsnet.

:lol Ooooookay. But what are the reasons why you hate him?

calder

Kypreos is a smug, unfunny talking head. He almost never has anything insightful to say about the game or players, but he *does* for some bizarre reason break a lot of trades. As a studio panelist for years he hasn't called a game for a long time, but I can't imagine he's actually a brilliant hockey analyst just waiting to dazzle with his booth coverage. I can't think of a single time Kypreos has added anything substantial to the SNet panel, his comments range from blindingly obvious (team X's powerplay is 2 for 50 the last month, they gotta improve that!) to meaningless cliche to the occasional pro-Leafs propaganda - although he is good for some laughs when he gets needled by his coworkers about running Fuhr in the playoffs and basically being a no-talent thug his whole playing career.

While moving Hockey Night In Canada from CBC to CTV-TSN seems sacrilegious, it's certainly not impossible.

"It's all a matter of what CTV wants," says one industry observer. "If they want hockey, they'll get it."

That certainly was the case with last week's purchase of CHUM and with the CTV-TSN-Rogers consortium that stole the 2010 and 2012 Olympics from CBC.

In the past, CTV's designs on the nation's most lucrative sports package have been thwarted by the network's reliance on U.S. dramas and sitcoms. Since it can't, or won't, pre-empt those for hockey, it couldn't air playoff games.

And since many Canadians don't have cable or satellite, the prospect of airing playoff games to TSN didn't sit well with the NHL.

But things have changed. Sources say CTV will employ the consortium that won the Olympics to secure the NHL package starting in 2008-09. The main network would air Saturday night games, which wouldn't dislodge its big-ticket American shows.

TSN would carry the national cable package while Sportsnet would show games regionally. Come the playoffs, TSN and Sportsnet would share the midweek games.

CTV would carry the final, which comes when the big shows are in reruns. In addition, the consortium would offer a variety of coverage on the Internet and cellphones as well as video on demand.

For those who don't believe the NHL would abandon its traditional broadcaster, remember that it moved Montreal Canadiens Saturday night games from SRC to cable channel RDS five years ago. But there are factors working in CBC's favour.

"Don't underestimate the NHL's sense of loyalty," says IMG Canada vice-president Peter Sisam. "If the CBC paired up with SRC and made a good offer for combined English-French rights, the NHL might not want to change horses."

The NHL might have other reasons to stay with CBC. The loss of its biggest cash cow might take the public network out of the market for big-ticket sports, meaning the NHL would have to settle for lower rights fees in future.

Hmmm, that would be weird. Sadly HNIC has sucked on a lot of levels lately so I can't say I'm not interested - in theory - in how CTV would change things.

Fifty

calder said:
Kypreos is a smug, unfunny talking head. He almost never has anything insightful to say about the game or players, but he *does* for some bizarre reason break a lot of trades.

He's from the Tie Domi school of being a talentless douche who oddly enough seems to know tons of people in high places. Either that or he's a talentless douche who wiretaps phones.

calder

If it turned out that 5 years ago Kypreos put a bug on the NHL's trade fax machine so so much would be explained. He breaks more trades (or at least gives the impression that it's him) every year than TSN and The Score put together. I'm just surprised that Bob McKenzie hasn't had him clipped yet.

I think his real connections are that he's a former player, more specifially a former Leaf who still lives in TO, and he's still tight with the PA and a lot of the agents in the TO area.

Nothing should take away from the totally incompetent non-job he does as a hockey analyst and commentator, but if he goes to MSG at least the viewers will know about trades fast.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Forza, you just reminded me. I was at yorkdale mall with my gf the other day. So were just walking around when she says "that guy...is a giant." So I look over, and I can clearly make this guy's face out..- 30 feet away, with a crowd of people between us.

Anyways, after closer inspection, I realized it was Chris Bosh of the Raptors. He was with 2 guys, one looked like he could have been a bouncer/bodyguard. I wonder how many people were starring at him because they knew who he was, and not just because he's as tall as a skyscraper.

Anyways, I've been on a roll as of late. Rick Nash and now CB4.

Manics

Banned
Wolf said:
I already made that bet last year. I predicted Montreal would top Toronto at the start of the seas, you leafer's had a good chuckle, then at the end I had the last laugh.

If you guys want to raise the stakes a bit this year, I'll be interested in doing fifa thread style bets, with accounts on the line, but I'm going to wait until were closer to October before I start accepting/making wagers.

THAT confident are you? :lol

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Explain to me the point of making bets and putting accounts on the line in the middle of July. We still have months to pass before we even see an exhibition game.

Patience grasshopper.

btw I can tell you're really eager to get this season started, so here's a little something to hold you over until then.

233219-77795.jpg

Manics

Banned
Wolf said:
Explain to me the point of making bets and putting accounts on the line in the middle of July. We still have months to pass before we even see an exhibition game.

It's called confidence.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Some rumors of a possible dual affiliation between Nashville/Edmonton with Milwaukee AHL. Edmonton wants to send 10 or so prospects there for next season apparently.

dem

The oilers really need their own farm team again... especially for the goalies. Theyve basically ruined Jeff Deslauriers career.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
dem said:
The oilers really need their own farm team again... especially for the goalies. Theyve basically ruined Jeff Deslauriers career.
Yea, that's going to be a tough fit in Milwaukee for the Oilers if Rinne stays down for another few years like everyone is expecting. No room for Dubnyk!

**NEWS OF THE DAY**

-Eric Lindros signs one-year contract with Dallas Stars.
-LA Kings resign netminder Mathieu Garon.
-GM Burke denies rumor of Bryzgalov being Anaheim Ducks No. 1 goaltender, quoted as saying "lost in translation".

Barrage

Why. Why does Dallas break my heart.

ERIC LINDROS? ERIC ****ING LINDROS? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? It's funny, because I ASSUMED this team wanted to do well in the playoffs this year. But to that, we might need a second line center that plays over 35 games a year. Why? Why would we do this? Is this what we bought out Guerin for? The money to sign Mr.Glass? If Guerin rebounds and has a 30 goal season in St.Louis, I am going to be SO pissed. The only plus is that it's a 1 year contract.

That being said, the posts proclaiming Dallas/Detroit/Colorado's days of dominating the league being over are wrong. Well, at least for Dallas and Detroit. Didn't this exact thing happen last year, with people predicting Detroit to fall off for being "too old"? What happened there? Dallas will win the division again this year. They have the same mix of Cup-hungry vets and talented cheap young guys that Carolina had.

....Lindros....Pssh.

Barrage

What would Luongo be smiling about? He doesn't know what the playoffs are.

s062940a.jpg

"Whaddaya mean Hockey season goes past April?"

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Barrage said:
What would Luongo be smiling about? He doesn't know what the playoffs are.
Yet you'd be down on your knees praying in a millisecond if you could get him instead of TURCOOOOO between the Dallas pipes. You're not fooling anybody :lol

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Mike Works said:
Why would you assume that? Turco's signed until 2010.

Dam, beat me to it.

Barrage said:
If Guerin rebounds and has a 30 goal season in St.Louis, I am going to be SO pissed.

Guerin is going to net 40, just to piss you off.

"Whaddaya mean Hockey season goes past April?"
Your team. LOST. IN 5 GAMES. TO JOSE'S AVALANCHE. You're playoff trash talking card is void until further notice.

Manics said:
It's called confidence.

manics, my old, naive friend, if you're really this set on throwing your account away, then by all means, name your bet. Kind of takes the fun away from doing this so early, but for a leafer, I'll make an exception.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Apparently Peca is set to sign with the Leafs in the next 24, of course this comes from Watters and he is so full of shit that he could be wrong. I don't even think he has anymore contacts left in the Leafs front office. I guess we can go with a lineup of

God knows how Maurice is going to put together lines with like 7 centres signed Sundin, Stajan, Peca, Wellwood, Antropov, Pohl and Westrum.

spetz

I remember when Giguere was rated the number one goalie and Turco number 2. He held out on Dallas and missed the beginning of training camp because he wanted to make sure he got paid enough. Ever since then he hasn't been the same and honestly I have just as much confidence in Hedberg as I do Turco. The playoffs against the Avs last season was bad for Turco, even though the Avs are my #1 team I still wasn't nearly as worried about the Avs than the Stars. The infamous and always inconsistant Theodore still played stronger than Turco and as far as I can see things Turco isn't what he used to be. I don't know how this season will play for him. But I have lost alot of confidence and respect for him since that early training camp situation last year.

As far as Guerin goes he was one of my top picked players in my fantasy team and he didn't start contributing untill the last remaining games in the season...and the playoffs of course but that didn't help me. Very frustrated with him. His stats were bad on paper but he did help his team on the ice, though for everyone who had him on their fantasy team he was just a constant sore, only his PIM stats were of decent value. We'll see how he fairs with a different team.

Sandman42

R_GILL said:
Apparently Peca is set to sign with the Leafs in the next 24, of course this comes from Watters and he is so full of shit that he could be wrong. I don't even think he has anymore contacts left in the Leafs front office. I guess we can go with a lineup of

God knows how Maurice is going to put together lines with like 7 centres signed Sundin, Stajan, Peca, Wellwood, Antropov, Pohl and Westrum.
Are you forgetting that Steen, Kilger, O'Neill, and Ondrus were all drafted as centres?

Sandman42

I was just thinking, if the Leafs sign Peca they can then create the most hated line in the NHL by also signing Sean Avery. :lol

Tucker-Peca-Avery

best line ever:lol

Sandman42 said:
I was just thinking, if the Leafs sign Peca they can then create the most hated line in the NHL by also signing Sean Avery. :lol

Tucker-Peca-Avery

best line ever:lol

Hell
They are so hated they'd even hate each other!

JFJ is a genius. Why sign a guy that will play 15 games(Lindros) for a million when you can sign a guy to an incentive laden contract for $4 million that will play 30 games?(Allison)

Yes, brilliant. Why sign one under performing injury prone has been when instead you can get a differant under performing injury prone never-really-was-anything.

FightyF

Banned
I remember an old CTV Canada Cup broadcast...I had it on tape for years and always laughed at one bit of commentating at the end of the game...

"And Canada wins, that Canada Cup! With 32 seconds to go!"

It's not as funny anymore, perhaps my humour matured.

Faaart! LOLOLOLOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom