• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
You know, over the last little while, especially the last 2-3 weeks, I've noticed all my friends and co-workers are really down and out about their maple leafs. It's at the point where talking trash isn't fun anymore, they agree with everything I say.

"You know, Ferguson doesn't have a clue of how to be a gm.."

friend - "Tell me about it."

"Hey, give me 3 reasons why the leafs will be a better team than last year."

friend - "Well you know, Raycroft could be awesome...hmmm.......mabey they'll sign someone to play with Sundin......hmmm..........................that's all I got man."

:lol

How about the every loveable leaf posters on here? do you guys still have hope? Is there really any reason to believe they'll have a better seas then the last?

Wolf said:
How about the every loveable leaf posters on here? do you guys still have hope? Is there really any reason to believe they'll have a better seas then the last?

Sure. I can see the Leafs making the playoffs next season assuming they add a winger to play with Mats and another forward.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
because we don't have a clueless coach behind the bench.

the problem with quinn was that he didn't play the players to their strengths.

yeah and domi screwed up so many plays last year. If there was ever a chance for him to make a logical choice, he never did.

DopeyFish

keep a close eye on erik westrum (that the leafs signed today) He hasn't taken off at the NHL level yet, but pulled wellwood sized numbers in the AHL. And we know wellwood was held back by quinn and he still did good in his rookie year

FightyF

Banned
Malakhov said:
Carter would be a good addition for the leafs but Peca? Meh.

Peca is too good for the Leafs. Seriously. He'd be stupid to go there.

If the Wings sign Peca, it's all over for the NHL. I can only dream...

Wolf

GO HABS GO
****, I hate when I catch a typo in my post but I'm too late to correct it cause it's already been quoted...twice. Ah whatever, it's late, who cares.

Kabuki Waq said:
we got rid of domi.

I have a friend that doesn't have internet at home, and I'm usually the one to break trades and signings to him. The other day he walks in and the first thing I say is "you must be pissed right now!". Of course he has no idea what I'm talking about, so I follow with "Domi and Ferguson worked things out, 1 year/800k."

The look of horror on his face was so strong I could only keep face for a couple of seconds :lol

Dopey said:
because we don't have a clueless coach behind the bench.

the problem with quinn was that he didn't play the players to their strengths

yeah..I'll give you that. One thing Maurice has over Quinn is he probably knows how to work those kids better than anyone.

DopeyFish said:
keep a close eye on erik westrum (that the leafs signed today) He hasn't taken off at the NHL level yet, but pulled wellwood sized numbers in the AHL. And we know wellwood was held back by quinn and he still did good in his rookie year

Fight for Freeform said:
Peca is too good for the Leafs. Seriously. He'd be stupid to go there.

If the Wings sign Peca, it's all over for the NHL. I can only dream...

Are you guys brothers? Who the **** is Westrum and no offense but it's "over" for the Wings....

FightyF

Banned
My comment wasn't totally serious, but I hope your comment wasn't either. Losing Yzerman and Shanahan have left big gaps, but that's why I would want Peca. He's clearly shown himself to be one of the best defensive forwards in the league. He'd be the cornerstone of the PK, that's for sure.

The way I'm looking at the next season is that ok, they may not completely dominate like last year, but we all know it doesn't matter as all that matters is that they step up the intensity during the playoffs. Belfour has stepped it up in the playoffs in the past. Peca has as well (that's an understatement, really).

So Detroit may place maybe 3rd, heck maybe down to 6th, I don't care. If they can get some playoff intensity in them for once, they'll have a good run. I'm not worried at all. But I look at teams like the Oilers, Canucks, Habs and Leafs and think to myself that they are changing quite a bit...and we have no idea if it'll work out. Can you guarentee that any of these teams will make the playoffs? I can't. But it's not so hard to make a guarentee for Detroit.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
LOL, JFJ has more interest in bringing Allison back than bringing in Peca. Oh JFJ you card, here I thought you wanted to do well this year.
Despite all the talk about the possibility of Michael Peca coming to Toronto, the team is closer to re-signing Jason Allison and Eric Lindros. Leafs GM John Ferguson has not spoken with Peca's agent Don Meehan in more than a week, but has been in regular contact with both Lindros and Allison.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...598&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064

Also the Leafs signed their first round pick Jiri Tlusty to a 3 year contract.

In another article it says Lindros is looking around as JFJ won't offer more than 750 k.

But then Ferguson stood firm on his negotiations with Lindros, who is representing himself. The Toronto GM wouldn't budge from his initial offer of $750,000 annually (all figures U.S.), an offer made last season shortly after Lindros was lost because of wrist surgery.

But Lindros, 33, who earned $1.55-million last season, figures he is worth at least what fourth-liner Tie Domi made last year, $1.25-million. Domi has since been bought out.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060714.LEAFS14/TPStory/TPSports/Hockey/

Manics

Banned
R_GILL said:
LOL, JFJ has more interest in bringing Allison back than bringing in Peca. Oh JFJ you card, here I thought you wanted to do well this year.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...598&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064

Also the Leafs signed their first round pick Jiri Tlusty to a 3 year contract.

In another article it says Lindros is looking around as JFJ won't offer more than 750 k.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060714.LEAFS14/TPStory/TPSports/Hockey/

ferguson_john250.jpg

"We're real pleased"

Manics

Banned
Wolf said:

Well, we all agree the Leafs were brutal last year, yet they only finished 3 points behind the Habs.

Also, Colaiacovo will have been inspired by the World Cup Italia win. Look for a career season Norris trophy winning numbers from him.

I don't know what you're smoking FfF, but the last things the Wings need is another defensive forward, especially a center.

As much as I'd hate a 1 year stopgap with Beflour, almost anyone other than Legace is an improvement, and Shanny was a shadow of his former self and has disappeared in the playoffs for the last 4 years. He sure as hell wasn't worth 4 mil. Stevie is the only big loss. No doubt, though...moves need to be made. Wings have some cap space now, so I can't see them not making a trade before or near the deadline to address their needs (most importantly a scoring winger). Either, way, they'll make the playoffs without a problem. A lower seed would be a nice change for a consistently underacheiving team in 1st place.

What's really concerning is Lilja on the 2nd D pairing and Williams as a top 6 forward. Unfortunately, Holland/Babcock don't seem to think these are problems.

Sandman42

JFJ is a ****ing clueless moron. The only reason he wants to sign Allison is to prove to everyone that his original signing of Allison wasn't a mistake. In the year end press conference JFJ was assaulted by the media with questions like; "what do you think about the signing of Jason Allison now that the team has gone undefeated without him?" All he could respond with was "well he did score 60 pts". Now he still can't see past his own arrogance and realise that Allison was a failure. **** you JFJ. **** you.

Manics

Banned
Sandman42 said:
JFJ is a ****ing clueless moron. The only reason he wants to sign Allison is to prove to everyone that his original signing of Allison wasn't a mistake. In the year end press conference JFJ was assaulted by the media with questions like; "what do you think about the signing of Jason Allison now that the team has gone undefeated without him?" All he could respond with was "well he did score 60 pts". Now he still can't see past his own arrogance and realise that Allison was a failure. **** you JFJ. **** you.

ferguson_john250.jpg

No no, **** you.
Real Pleased!

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
When I woke up fan 590 was saying that Lindros deal is almost done and Peca has been offered a 3 year contract if they cannot come to terms than the Leafs will bring back Allison.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Manics said:
Well, we all agree the Leafs were brutal last year, yet they only finished 3 points behind the Habs.

lol.

Montreal = made the playoffs
Tampa = made the playoffs
========================
Toronto,Florida,Chicago, St Louis ect.. = failed to make the playoffs

It doesn't matter how much you failed a test by, bottom line is you failed. Nice try though manics, glad to see someone is still fighting the good fight.

Sandman42 said:

This just about sums up the entire city's opinion on Ferguson right now.

Canucks just traded a 4th rounder for Taylor Pyatt. Looks like Cooke's going to be our first line winger if no other trades/signings are made.

Here's the jury on Pyatt....

Assets: Boasts a tremendous combination of size and skating ability. Has sound body-checking skills, and is both defensively aware and an emerging offensive talent.

Flaws: The jury is still out on his offensive upside. Tends to struggle in the hockey sense department.

Career potential: Power forward.

I like what I see. Seems to fit in with what the Canucks need.

FightyF

Banned
rusty said:
I don't know what you're smoking FfF, but the last things the Wings need is another defensive forward, especially a center.

I think the reason why we differ is because I'm looking at playoff success, not regular season success. Peca has been on a couple of teams who made it to the finals and have been an integral part of both runs.

As much as I'd hate a 1 year stopgap with Beflour, almost anyone other than Legace is an improvement, and Shanny was a shadow of his former self and has disappeared in the playoffs for the last 4 years. He sure as hell wasn't worth 4 mil.

I'd disagree here too. I think anyone who gets over 80 points a season is easily worth 4 million.

Secondly Shanahan did pick it up during the playoffs. He was a physical presence, banged up some Oilers, took a whole lotta shots on net. He didn't score as much as expected but he was a presence on the ice. Something I can't say for many of the Wings during that series.

Stevie is the only big loss. No doubt, though...moves need to be made. Wings have some cap space now, so I can't see them not making a trade before or near the deadline to address their needs (most importantly a scoring winger). Either, way, they'll make the playoffs without a problem. A lower seed would be a nice change for a consistently underacheiving team in 1st place.

I agree. I do think that a deadline trade might be a good thing, as it would address any gaps in the team during the regular season and give them a good solid playoff team.

What's really concerning is Lilja on the 2nd D pairing and Williams as a top 6 forward. Unfortunately, Holland/Babcock don't seem to think these are problems.

Where did you find this from? Is this some rumoured lineup? I'm surprised this kind of info is made available so early. :p

aceface

Wow, Vancouver seems to be the haven for our lots of potential/never quite made it guys. Pyatt looked as good as he ever did in this year's playoffs, he just has to learn to play with a mean streak. He's huge and he can use his size to his advantage, the problem is he's just too damn nice. I did see him bloody the nose of some Florida Panther in a fight this year so that's a start.

Fight for Freeform said:
I think the reason why we differ is because I'm looking at playoff success, not regular season success. Peca has been on a couple of teams who made it to the finals and have been an integral part of both runs.
Whether Peca has been on some decent cup runs or not is irrelevant. We've already got a Selke winner with a too-large contract in Draper (who happens to have a NTC) and Maltby, and a second PK unit of Cleary/Franzen. Not to mention we have way too many centers and not enough skilled wingers. We don't need another defensive forward + We don't need another center = we sure as hell don't need a defensive center. Peca simply isn't needed unless they could somehow get Draper to waive his NTC.

Fight for Freeform said:
I'd disagree here too. I think anyone who gets over 80 points a season is easily worth 4 million.

Secondly Shanahan did pick it up during the playoffs. He was a physical presence, banged up some Oilers, took a whole lotta shots on net. He didn't score as much as expected but he was a presence on the ice. Something I can't say for many of the Wings during that series.

:lol Are you serious? Shanhan "picked it up during the playoffs"? The guy has been useless in the playoffs for years. Also, don't ever let me catch you using "Shanny" and "physical presence" or "banged" in the same sentence again. I loved Shanny as much as the next guy, but he hasn't been a physical presence in years, since his back has gotten worse. Even he was surprised when he dropped the gloves in the first week of last season. He's nothing more than a perimeter player now. A decent one at that, but not worth 4 mil...and certainly not the power forward that he used to be.

Fight for Freeform said:
Where did you find this from? Is this some rumoured lineup? I'm surprised this kind of info is made available so early. :p

Well, Holland locked Lilja up for the next 2 years for some mysterious reason, so he's not going anywhere. I doubt anyone's knocking on Holland's door to take that POS off of our hands, unless they only look at stats. I suppose Babs might move Kronwall up with Nick and play Lilja at the second pairing...but a Schneider+Lilja pairing would be horrid. Nick at least somewhat evens up Lilja's total lack of ability. So all signs are pointing to another agonizing season on Lilja on the 1st D pairing, barring a trade or signing (but Holland is on the record saying the 3rd or 4th Dmen are asking for way too much $, so don't count on it).

As far as Williams being a top 6 forward...that was straight from Ken Holland on WDFN this week. Yes, frightening shit, I know.

Detroit, Dallas, and Colorado haven't done much of anything this off-season thus far and the free agent pool is running pretty low.

Looks like the 90s Western Conference "powerhouses" might be running out of gas.

soundwave05 said:
Detroit, Dallas, and Colorado haven't done much of anything this off-season thus far and the free agent pool is running pretty low.

Looks like the 90s Western Conference "powerhouses" might be running out of gas.

Detroit - Had two big names leave and picked up Belfour.
Dallas / Colorado - Had to give huge pay increases to their so-so teams.

In the 90's they could buy their way to victory. With the salary cap, these three teams have to deal with inflating salaries from good players.

I still can't believe Detroit is going for Belfour ... I mean ... just ... why? Buffalo can't be asking for that much for Biron because they're going to need to dump his $2 million salary.

I think they might sign Anson Carter, but even he's no spring chicken.

Cold-Steel said:
Detroit - Had two big names leave and picked up Belfour.
Dallas / Colorado - Had to give huge pay increases to their so-so teams.

In the 90's they could buy their way to victory. With the salary cap, these three teams have to deal with inflating salaries from good players.
Only the 3rd cup was bought ;)

soundwave05 said:
I still can't believe Detroit is going for Belfour ... I mean ... just ... why? Buffalo can't be asking for that much for Biron because they're going to need to dump his $2 million salary.

Most talk is that Biron would be a 2-3 or more year solution, but Detroit is probably looking at Howard to start in 07-08. Also, rumors have included Kronwall, which Detroit definitely won't let go.

That, and Holland is totally incompetent.

Manics

Banned
Wolf said:
lol.

Montreal = made the playoffs
Tampa = made the playoffs
========================
Toronto,Florida,Chicago, St Louis ect.. = failed to make the playoffs

Are we gonna bet who finishes higher in the standings this year, the Leafs or Habs?

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Manics said:
Are we gonna bet who finishes higher in the standings this year, the Leafs or Habs?

I already made that bet last year. I predicted Montreal would top Toronto at the start of the seas, you leafer's had a good chuckle, then at the end I had the last laugh.

If you guys want to raise the stakes a bit this year, I'll be interested in doing fifa thread style bets, with accounts on the line, but I'm going to wait until were closer to October before I start accepting/making wagers.

Wolf said:
If you guys want to raise the stakes a bit this year, I'll be interested in doing fifa thread style bets, with accounts on the line, but I'm going to wait until were closer to October before I start accepting/making wagers.
Why bother waiting? Unless Raycroft returns to his calder-winning season form (which I'm SURE he will now that he's not in a big pressure hockey market), that's a ****ing sure thing.

Hell, I'd make that bet if I were Alucard.

Karakand

rusty said:
Most talk is that Biron would be a 2-3 or more year solution, but Detroit is probably looking at Howard to start in 07-08. Also, rumors have included Kronwall, which Detroit definitely won't let go.

I still don't understand why the Wings won't ask us for Jiggy. He's no longer able to carry teams to the SCF but he's still plenty able to choke in the first two rounds of the playoffs after having good regular season numbers. Sounds like a perfect fit with the Wings. :lol

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Mike Works said:
Hell, I'd make that bet if I were Alucard.

Nothing the internet could ever produce would be as funny as Alucard taunting away at manics and co. as the Pens place over the Leafs and bans are dished out.

:lol :lol

Actually, nothing will ever be funnier than the Dallas Stars getting bounced in the first round of the 06' playoffs by the 7th seed Colorado Avalanche and Jose Theodore.

Cold-Steel said:
Actually, nothing will ever be funnier than the Dallas Stars getting bounced in the first round of the 06' playoffs by the 7th seed Colorado Avalanche and Jose Theodore.

I seriously doubt Dallas can win their division to get that no.2 seed.

Anaheim and San Jose are much better now. I think the usual 1-2-3 Western seedings of Detroit-Dallas-Colorado, as it usually was in the 1990s is definitely on the way out.

I wish a genie would visit barrage, offering him one single wish.

His wish would be to switch "2010" Marty Turco's great regular season / poor post season attributes around.

Then, as he waited for the playoffs to finally come around so he could prove his detractors wrong, the Stars would miss the playoffs.

I love my fantasy world, it's so clean.

DopeyFish

pens hire chuck fletcher as assistant GM. considering he's the son of cliff fletcher, i don't see how this could be good news for the pens :p (for 13 years he worked inbetween florida panthers and anaheim ducks... lol? yeah. lol. )

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Sportsnet said:
The Dallas Stars appear to have the inside track on Eric Lindros. Sources are telling Sportsnet that Dallas has offered the Toronto native a contract in the vicinity of $2 million. Big E made $1.5 million last year with the Maple Leafs.

Toronto's last offer to Lindros is believed to be half of what the Stars are putting on the table and that doesn't include Jason Allison-type incentive bonuses that Lindros is entitled to based on his time spent on injured reserve.

Edmonton and Los Angeles also remain interested in signing the veteran centre.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060714_204620_4704

Screw getting other players. JFJ is busy making other moves:

For the second time in a year, the Maple Leafs are looking for a new athletic therapist after GM John Ferguson recently relieved Kevin Wagner of his duties.

Wagner had been brought in last summer to replace Chris Broadhurst, who was also fired by Ferguson. The GM last summer replaced several of the team's doctors and surgeons and also fired Broadhurst and his assistant, Brent Smith.

The firing comes just weeks after Ferguson dismissed long-time assistant equipment manager Scott McKay. It's believed that Toronto Marlies equipment manager Tom Blatchford will replace McKay.

calder

Wow, is JFJ really picky about the quality of the executive backrubs he gets from the trainers or is he just obsessed with hiring and firing the support staff because he can't make any meaningful changes? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom