• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
Pens and Sabres game on Saturday night was totally sweet! I got to see a breakaway, a fight, Crosby looking miles ahead of everybody else on the ice every time he was on it (he successfully completed a SPIN-O-RAMA around the lone dman in overtime but sadly didn't put the puck past Miller), and a long shootout. (11 shooters or so) It wasn't the result I wanted (Sabres won the shootout 2-1, Crosby getting the only Pens goal of the SO), but still a great time and a game well worth the money. Crosby looks phenomenal and it's seriously bordering on ridiculous how much better he looks than just about everyone else on the ice every time his skates touch the surface. The rest of the Pens really need to step up though. With a healthy Malkin and Crosby, this team could potentially make the playoffs, but still needs improvement in so many areas. We'll see what happens when the real season begins.

Mainly due to the absurd amount of odd man rushes the inexperianced defence has given him, not to mention that it's only preseason and he's already playing damn good. If you'd seen him in action you'd know too. He made this one wicked glove save off of Green or someone tonight that was just jaw dropping mid-season crap that Cloutier or Auld pulled off once a MONTH. He doesn't send rebounds to the opposing team, he either covers it up or slides it safely to the corner... he tricks shooters into thinking his 5 hole is bigger than it really is and he shuts it faster than you can wink, and his lateral movement is awesome. The guys the real deal.

Socreges

Banned
Sometimes I feel like TemplaerDude should be cheering for the Maple Leafs. :(

Anyway, even though Luongo has had a so-so start, I find it pretty exciting to see him in net. It's also very comforting somehow. Let's just hope that confidence remains...

aceface

Alucard said:
Pens and Sabres game on Saturday night was totally sweet! I got to see a breakaway, a fight, Crosby looking miles ahead of everybody else on the ice every time he was on it (he successfully completed a SPIN-O-RAMA around the lone dman in overtime but sadly didn't put the puck past Miller), and a long shootout. (11 shooters or so) It wasn't the result I wanted (Sabres won the shootout 2-1, Crosby getting the only Pens goal of the SO), but still a great time and a game well worth the money. Crosby looks phenomenal and it's seriously bordering on ridiculous how much better he looks than just about everyone else on the ice every time his skates touch the surface. The rest of the Pens really need to step up though. With a healthy Malkin and Crosby, this team could potentially make the playoffs, but still needs improvement in so many areas. We'll see what happens when the real season begins.

I'd say the rest of the Pens need to step up, the Sabres outshot them 46-19 in the game. May16: The fight was between Mair and Stone.

Socreges said:
Sometimes I feel like TemplaerDude should be cheering for the Maple Leafs. :(

Anyway, even though Luongo has had a so-so start, I find it pretty exciting to see him in net. It's also very comforting somehow. Let's just hope that confidence remains...

**** you guys we already have Big Johnsson and Dopeyfish!

Alucard

Banned
aceface said:
I'd say the rest of the Pens need to step up, the Sabres outshot them 46-19 in the game. May16: The fight was between Mair and Stone.

Yeah, the Sabres totally owned the shot count. Stone also totally dropped Mair behind the goal. It was a good fight with a flurry of punches thrown.

Kingpen

Things got interesting today in Penguin land.... Malkin is ruled to not have to have surgery after a 2nd opinion... He will be out 4-6 weeks, (probably will only miss 4-7 games of the season).

So now they have a hole in the middle of the 2nd line they need to fill. I thought Eric Christiansen would be the one to fill it, as he had a decent call up last year, but lost his confidence and fell in the doghouse...

Well, they cut him today to Wilkes-Barre, which means there is only one other candidate that will be able to fill that hole one the 2nd line (and who wasn't projected to make the team)..

Jordan Staal......

He has a clause that says he can play the first 9 games of the season without having the year count against his contract.... I sure hope he plays well enough to force them to sign him to a contract this year.

Kingpen said:
He has a clause that says he can play the first 9 games of the season without having the year count against his contract.... I sure hope he plays well enough to force them to sign him to a contract this year.
uh... i don't think you want that...

Alucard

Banned
Mike Works said:
uh... i don't think you want that...

I gotta agree with Mike here. Staal will be better off with at least another year in Peterborough to mature a little more. He did look pretty good against Buffalo on Saturday too though, but I think he's a bit young to be thrown into the limelight already.

pops619

The Pens really have nothing to lose by playing Staal for the first nine games, which pretty much coincides with how much time Malkin will miss. It won't count as a year of service for Jordan, and it gives him a little taste of the NHL and what he really needs to work on. I don't support keeping him any longer than that, but they might as well give him the shot while Malkin is recovering.

Kingpen

I agree 100% with pops......

But it is nice to dream though huh....

At least he roster in NHL2k7 will be updated with him on it once the season starts...

calder

Marty Turco allowed seven goals on 36 shots in a 7-4 loss to Tampa Bay.

"I'm not going to dwell on it too much, but it's not the most ecstatic I've been, giving up that many," he said. "But the thing is, some of the goals ... I need to clean up and eliminate my mistakes. I was doing all right there to start, but you just kind of get caught up in whatever – bad bounces happen and you try not to let it bother you. It is still preseason, but keep an eye on Turco's next couple starts.

Spoken like the man who single handedly torpedoed 2 of my fantasy teams last year. Never again Marty, never again!

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Habs *sound* good tonight against the Sens in Nova Scotia, good to hear. Latendresse hopefully makes this team and gets worthwhile playtime. If not then its a waste and they should put him back down again. They could really use him though.

Malakhov

Banned
Ah, Latendresse... what a saga it has been...

I wanted him to get cut from the team because he gets too much media exposure and attention since he's a quebec born player and it was getting on my nerves until I saw him play last Tuesday against the Bruins when I went to the game, let me just tell you this:

It's pure stupidity if Latendresse gets sent down again, the kid is great.

Edit: He just scored a few mins after I typed this :lol

Wolf

GO HABS GO
I remember being mad that they sent him down last year. For what, so that Sundstrum and Dagenais could have a spot?

Worked out for the best though, the past year has helped him lots, he looks more complete than last years version.

Hey Malakhov what do you think about Ryder so far? He's playing great this pre-seas, his skating is improved, he looks better handling the puck and he's still scoring. I see career year coming up for him.

Malakhov

Banned
I'm a huge Ryder fan, some people rag on him because he's a pure goal scorer and his defensive play isn't that great but so what, he's young and still improving. It's been ages since we've had an homegrown player like Ryder in Montreal.

I'm really glad we've got Ryder and especially Higgins (he's becoming my favorite Habs player), they are two young and improving forwards who we will be seeing on the Habs first two lines for years to come.

Higgins/Ryder/Latendresse... Finally what we've been waiting for for a decade.

Malakhov

Banned
Chipchura scores from Higgins, Higgins is just on fire, looks like he'll resume his play from the second half of the season last year.

Leanne Domi Calls Tie a "Rat"

torsundomiWife200.jpg

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2006/09/26/1899363-sun.html
http://http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2006/09/26/1899364-sun.html

Tie Domi is ugly. Tie Domi has no personality. His slut wife obviously married him for his money and the posh lifestyle so I feel no sympathy towards her. I have a funny story concerning both her and Tie that took place a couple of years at a club here in Toronto that I shall post later.

TSN went HD at the right time. Tie's mug will never look so ugly on my tube ever again....

Alucard

Banned
ForzaItalia said:
Leanne Domi Calls Tie a "Rat"

torsundomiWife200.jpg

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2006/09/26/1899363-sun.html
http://http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2006/09/26/1899364-sun.html

Tie Domi is ugly. Tie Domi has no personality. His slut wife obviously married him for his money and the posh lifestyle so I feel no sympathy towards her. I have a funny story concerning both her and Tie that took place a couple of years at a club here in Toronto that I shall post later.

TSN went HD at the right time. Tie's mug will never look so ugly on my tube ever again....

WTF, that Toronto Sun article is written like some kids' novel or something.

"The wife of the hockey enforcer-turned-hockey broadcast analyst spoke briefly after she parked her GMC Denali SUV with black tinted windows beside the perfectly manicured lawns and hedges of the mansion."

"Two of her three children, still wearing their school uniforms, emerged from the SUV kicking a soccer ball around before standing in the front archway of the family's home."

"Smiling, she raised her left hand, which did not have a wedding band, to take off designer sunglasses, exposing her tired-looking eyes."

OH TORONTO SUN, CONNECTING WITH THE POPULACE AND MAKING THINGS SO REAL.

Shinobi

ForzaItalia said:

:lol

Oh yeah, so much for his family rep...

http://www.tiedomi.com/ThePerson.htm

Tie Domi - The Person

Tie Domi is a pro athlete who understands the privilege of being a star. He may be a tough guy on the ice but off the ice Tie definitely shows his softer side. He may take on every tough guy the opposition has but also generously contributes his time and money to charities.

Tie is a father who spends as much time with his family as possible.

domi-4-rev-tn.jpg

*Ahem*

torsuncoverlarge.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

This is one time where I'm glad a hockey story is dominating the front pages. Can't wait to see how TSN covers this. :lol

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Hockey players cheat all the time, why is this such huge news? I mean, its Tie ****ing Domi for christs sake..

*remembers I live in Toronto*

oh nevermind....

That story is a joke. I'd say the Sun hit a new low, but you can't go lower than rock bottom.

Alucard

Banned
Wolf said:
Hockey players cheat all the time, why is this such huge news? I mean, its Tie ****ing Domi for christs sake..

*remembers I live in Toronto*

oh nevermind....

That story is a joke. I'd say the Sun hit a new low, but you can't go lower than rock bottom.

Seriously. That looks more like the front page of a tabloid, not a newspaper. You'd think they might focus on real news, or if they wanted to keep with sports, at least talk about the New Orleans Saints playing at the re-opened Superdome or something.

Fifty

sefskillz said:
is this like canada's equivalent to the beckham family? i really did think that was a tabloid

Far from it. The Toronto Sun is just that bad of a newspaper that TIE DOMI cheating on his wife is a front page scandal.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
sefskillz said:
is this like canada's equivalent to the beckham family? i really did think that was a tabloid

Don't get Canada dragged into this, this is Toronto's garbage.

You know what gets me the most? Their are so many other news stories that derseved the front page..

Police accused of racial profiling
Man crashes car moments after being shot in the back of the head
Police looking for shooter

Bob -"So what do you think Jim?"

Jim - "uhh, I don't know....tough to pick...hey, did you hear about that Domi affair?"

Bob - "FRONT PAGE!!!"

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Alucard said:
Hey, does anyone know if any site is actually keeping track of pre-season player and/or team stats?...
I ran stattracker the other day and saw some stats posted, but it didnt look like it was anywhere near complete.

calder

Shinobi said:
This is one time where I'm glad a hockey story is dominating the front pages. Can't wait to see how TSN covers this. :lol
QFT IAWTP ZOMG A+++

It's worth having his ugly talentless mug pushed in my face for another few days just to see if TSN squirms at all. I'm still pissed they hired that hack to insult my intelligence during the NHL broadcasts.

Oh man can't wait till tonight, my main yahoo league drafts. $40 a person, a whopping 17 teams in it so far (and we may still add one or two depending) and the trash talking has already reached "whoa yahoo is going to shut us down if the death threats continue" levels. Woot!

Manics

Banned
Wolf said:
Don't get Canada dragged into this, this is Toronto's garbage.

You know what gets me the most? Their are so many other news stories that derseved the front page..

Police accused of racial profiling
Man crashes car moments after being shot in the back of the head
Police looking for shooter

Bob -"So what do you think Jim?"

Jim - "uhh, I don't know....tough to pick...hey, did you hear about that Domi affair?"

Bob - "FRONT PAGE!!!"

You mean unlike Montreal papers who never have a front page headline dealing with Habs garbage?

Jose Theodore Hell's Angels anyone? :lol

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Foreign Jackass said:
Mmm. Sounds like a Journal de Montréal reader.
Considering the only french I know is "tir le but", I don't think I'll be reading any Montreal papers anytime soon.

Manics said:
You mean unlike Montreal papers who never have a front page headline dealing with Habs garbage?

Jose Theodore Hell's Angels anyone?

uhh..slowdown there manics, you're confusing yourself. Why are you bringing Montreal papers into this, like I'm some proud Montrealer or something... I was born and raised in the Jane/Finch area, North York. I'm a proud Torontonian. I said It's Toronto's garbage because it is our garbage. I know I'm not the only one ashamed that the Sun is the most popular newspaper.

btw I hope you haven't forgotten our little bet.

Manics

Banned
Wolf said:
Considering the only french I know is "tir le but", I don't think I'll be reading any Montreal papers anytime soon.

uhh..slowdown there manics, you're confusing yourself. Why are you bringing Montreal papers into this, like I'm some proud Montrealer or something... I was born and raised in the Jane/Finch area, North York. I'm a proud Torontonian. I said It's Toronto's garbage because it is our garbage. I know I'm not the only one ashamed that the Sun is the most popular newspaper.

btw I hope you haven't forgotten our little bet.

I was pointing out that the type of media dirt doesn't just exist in Toronto, but in fact any city in the world. The difference is in Montreal the headline would be due to the fact it's a hockey player. That Sun headline has nothing to do with Domi and all to do about Belinda, since as you know living in Toronto, the Sun is entirely pro-Conservative Stephen Harper ball-washing material. Any chance to portray a Liberal in a bad light they jump on, what better way then to show Belinda Stronach hooked up with Domi? :lol

Also, the Sun is the most popular newspaper??? By what criteria??? It's sure not subscriptions cause the Toronto Star is by far the leader there.

I haven't forgotten our bet, you were the one who was hesitant to make the bet in the first place.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Manics said:
I was pointing out that the type of media dirt doesn't just exist in Toronto, but in fact any city in the world.

I guess your old age has truly caught up with you, because you've steered off into a completly different direction with this. I'll be a nice guy here and explain this nice and slow to you.

sefskillz said:

You see, he's asking if Canada has a weird fixation towards Tie Domi, making the comparison to the Beckham family. I responded by saying no, this current fixation towards Domi is Toronto exlusive, thus the "Toronto's garbage" comment. Understand?

Your welcome, and don't worry, we don't expect you to keep up all the time, keep popping your pills and you'll be fine.

Also, the Sun is the most popular newspaper??? By what criteria??? It's sure not subscriptions cause the Toronto Star is by far the leader there.

I remember my grade 12 english teacher telling the class that...witch was almost about 5 years ago now. If things have changed then I'm glad.

I haven't forgotten our bet, you were the one who was hesitant to make the bet in the first place.

As long as you still remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom