• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

MoxManiac said:
Hmmm I'm not sure i'm liking the new orb mechanic for warfare. Maybe it's because my team has been too inept to kill the orb carrier, but it seems silly.
I do think the same! The orb is killing this kind of gametype imho! Without orb would be far better.

oneHeero

dralla said:
what you need to do is find a good host, send him a FR. I found these SIN guys, they always host, very stable with minimal lag. I added them to my list and I always have games to join
I know a clan of guys named S!N maybe the same as SIN guys you ran into, very cool bunch of guys I've known since RFOM. I wonder if its really Slay! 9

"I do think the same! The orb is killing this kind of gametype imho! Without orb would be far better."

I haven't had any problem with the orb system. I actually rather like it.

Firewire

Banned
PS3 Question

Has anyone figured out how to run a dedicated server, with longer rounds.

* The highest I think you can set a match is 100 frags & I think 20 minutes (TDM).

* I've played in longer matches on dedicated servers, and one guy at the end had 177 Frags!

* The long matches (I've played in) seem to have those War of the World laser shooting walkers in TDM, but is it some other game type, were you can choose unlimited frags & just set a time?

I'm asking because I enjoy these so much, and they are more satisfying than those really quick 40 frag TDM that dominate the server lists.

Aeon712

Firewire said:
PS3 Question

Has anyone figured out how to run a dedicated server, with longer rounds.

* The highest I think you can set a match is 100 frags & I think 20 minutes (TDM).

* I've played in longer matches on dedicated servers, and one guy at the end had 177 Frags!

* The long matches (I've played in) seem to have those War of the World laser shooting walkers in TDM, but is it some other game type, were you can choose unlimited frags & just set a time?
I'm asking because I enjoy these so much, and they are more satisfying than those really quick 40 frag TDM that dominate the server lists.
The first day I got the game and saw someone get into one of those I was like oh ****, kill it with fire :lol.

Firewire

Banned
Aeon712 said:
The first day I got the game and saw someone get into one of those I was like oh ****, kill it with fire :lol.

Were were you last night? I only noticed Sutdog & M3freak on, from the Resistance clan last night!

Firewire

Banned
Broadbandito said:
I would be down for seriously clanning in this game if the voice chat worked properly

Well on the UT3 boards, Epic says they are looking into the chat problems. But even better they are asking people what things they would like changed in the game.

I posted that I thought UT3 would benefit greatly from Resistances chat system. It was noticed in the thread, so hopefully maybe we get something similar when we get an update.

Wow, I just played some games on PC against Tekno (I was monkyofdoom BTW) and his Shock Rifle skills are astounding. Almost every time I turned a corner I got Shock comboed by him.

Synless

Firewire said:
Well on the UT3 boards, Epic says they are looking into the chat problems. But even better they are asking people what things they would like changed in the game.

I posted that I thought UT3 would benefit greatly from Resistances chat system. It was noticed in the thread, so hopefully maybe we get something similar when we get an update.
I haven't played Resistance online in like a year, what is the voice chat like now? Did they fix the level creator yet?

Safe Bet

Banned
Garnett Lee from 1Up.com said:
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164891

Unreal Tournament -- that's a PC game, right? This popular perception persists despite a number of console versions of the franchise (including the criminally overlooked Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict). This time around, it arrives with both platforms squarely on equal footing -- and arguably more hotly anticipated for the PS3. How much that speaks to the narrowing gap between PC and console provides ample fodder for the broader debate that rages across the Net. While that's happening, Unreal Tournament 3 makes a strong argument that it belongs on PS3 regardless of its other venues.
Dude...

You're opening paragraph is pure system wars bullshit...

Why?

Your "thesis statement" has nothing to do with the actual game itself.

It reads like Luke Smith blog not a Review...

Safe Bet

Banned
Borys said:
Fuck 1UP and their general anti-PC-ness. There's not a single PC excluisve game they liked.
I'm as anti-pc (read: poor and lazy) as the next guy, but I just don't see the purpose of that "discussion" being the focus of a review.

jacket320

TheMissingLink said:
...And speaking of maps, I want my Morpheus, TokaraForest, Albatross, Grendelkeep, DesertIsle and Antalus!

There's a few maps I miss too. I'm hoping the community will release updated versions of the classics? Anyone else missing any maps?

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
I'm having an absolute blast playing DM and CTF. Remakes like Coret and Hydro really make this game shine. Anyone up for some PC play?

llTll

Banned
i am thinking of picking up this game today for PS3 and i have few questions i would like to ask.

- i know the game single player isnt like gears of war. but does the game have story? like if you finish the first level /round / anything. do you get a real time video of the story progress or just nothing at all ?

- i need to know about the graphics on the PS3 version. how does it look compared to say... gears of war since it use the same engine. is it worst, better or same level ? does it have screen tearing issues etc ?

- how is the online ?

- is there some sort of ranking system when you play online? do you get promoted when you get exp ?

Thanks

MoxManiac

llTll said:
i am thinking of picking up this game today for PS3 and i have few questions i would like to ask.

- i know the game single player isnt like gears of war. but does the game have story? like if you finish the first level /round / anything. do you get a real time video of the story progress or just nothing at all ?

- i need to know about the graphics on the PS3 version. how does it look compared to say... gears of war since it use the same engine. is it worst, better or same level ? does it have screen tearing issues etc ?

- how is the online ?

- is there some sort of ranking system when you play online? do you get promoted when you get exp ?

Thanks

There's a storyline and cutscenes, but the actual gameplay is basically bot matches

BTW, any word one when mods will be a go for the PS3 version?

MoxManiac

To answer your other questions, online is great, stats are tracked but there is no level up system, friends interface is SHIT, graphics are amazing and no tearing at all

llTll

Banned
MoxManiac said:
To answer your other questions, online is great, stats are tracked but there is no level up system, friends interface is SHIT, graphics are amazing and no tearing at all
no level up?

so noobs can play with harcore gamers? that kinda sucks. i like games with level up system where you can unlock armors/guns/clothes etc by the time you level up. there gotta be a difference between new players and hardcore players. :(

Xater

Hay guyz!

I am thinking of iporting this puppy for my PS3. I just waned to know if anyone can tell if it has worldwide online play. It would suck if I would always have to play North Americans when I am from Europe.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Borys said:
Fuck 1UP and their general anti-PC-ness. There's not a single PC excluisve game they liked.
Hey Borys, did ya see? I finally ordered parts for my new PC. :D

So, there, I'll be PC gaming again.

Borys

Banned
dark10x said:
Hey Borys, did ya see? I finally ordered parts for my new PC. :D

So, there, I'll be PC gaming again.

Answer my question in the "Next Gen HD Gaming" thread, damnit!

Metalmurphy said:
Prepare to have your standards risen again.

Knwoing dark10x... he won't :lol Luckily this gen console games have mostly fallen in the "strive to achieve locked 30 fps" department.

GameGamer

MoxManiac said:

No tearing at all, but I had quite a few bugs of getting stuck to cars or the hoverboard not under my feet. And lots of texture pop-in.

I found the hoverboard just laughable. Wish that idea died at the conference table. To see the characters doing surfing moves.... wow.

They did nail the control though. I didn't even bother with k/m.

I found the online pretty bad.

Only 3-4 CTF servers when I tried.

No one talking to coordinate.

I gave this game 2 days of playtime.

I will be running back to CoD4 asap. This game was a soulless dud to me. I loved the original, but they really never took another step with the game IMO.

didn't play much over the weekend, but i did get a head set!

i'm just not sure when i'll next have time to play... my ranking is slipping so fast :( ah well... something to do when i get time eh?

Aeon712

llTll said:
no level up?

so noobs can play with harcore gamers? that kinda sucks. i like games with level up system where you can unlock armors/guns/clothes etc by the time you level up. there gotta be a difference between new players and hardcore players. :(
Sound like you would be better off with COD4.

plagiarize said:
didn't play much over the weekend, but i did get a head set!

i'm just not sure when i'll next have time to play... my ranking is slipping so fast :( ah well... something to do when i get time eh?
I feel your pain :(.

llTll said:

- how is the online ?

Thanks

Yeah, graphics are phenomenal...And the game plays really fast with little to no slowdown. I've never really gotten into UT, had it for DC back in the day, but this game is awesome.

hey WHOAguitarninja, don't worry about me playing it doesn't look like I'll be able to so if you guys rather do it tonight don't worry about changing things to fit me in. Thanks though.

Couldn't find this in the thread, sorry if I missed it.

I'm thinking of picking up the PS3 version. What percent of the public/hosted rooms allow mouse? If you host a game on a PS3 with a gamepad, does it allow kb/m users by default or do you have to enable it?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
beermonkey@tehbias said:

I'm thinking of picking up the PS3 version. What percent of the public/hosted rooms allow mouse? If you host a game on a PS3 with a gamepad, does it allow kb/m users by default or do you have to enable it?

I would say that it has varied, but there has always been a room open on the list that supports kb/m. All of the Midway dedicated servers support it.

Firewire

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:

Most servers dedicated or not seem to be both KB/M & controller. If you are hosting your own game I believe this is the default, but you do have the ability to change it to either setup.

DenogginizerOS said:
I would say that it has varied, but there has always been a room open on the list that supports kb/m. All of the Midway dedicated servers support it.

Ugh, I was hoping to jump on a dedicated server where I wouldn't be fragbait for mousers. I'll try to give it a rent first.

MoxManiac

GameGamer said:
No tearing at all, but I had quite a few bugs of getting stuck to cars or the hoverboard not under my feet. And lots of texture pop-in.

I found the hoverboard just laughable. Wish that idea died at the conference table. To see the characters doing surfing moves.... wow.

They did nail the control though. I didn't even bother with k/m.

I found the online pretty bad.

Only 3-4 CTF servers when I tried.

No one talking to coordinate.

I gave this game 2 days of playtime.

I will be running back to CoD4 asap. This game was a soulless dud to me. I loved the original, but they really never took another step with the game IMO.

Come to think of it, I had a few of my own, heh. I remember one TDM where me and another guy got stuck to each other in one of those anti-gravity chambers and neither of us could move (LOL)

Firewire

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Ugh, I was hoping to jump on a dedicated server where I wouldn't be fragbait for mousers. I'll try to give it a rent first.

Well when you put in your search criteria for a server, you can specify that you want controller only. I've played in both, and I think most people playing KB/M aren't the pro's that you would see on the PC side. Well except for plagiarize!

Firewire said:
Well when you put in your search criteria for a server, you can specify that you want controller only. I've played in both, and I think most people playing KB/M aren't the pro's that you would see on the PC side. Well except for plagiarize!

I just have these visions of getting absolutely pulverized. I played some Quake 3 on the Dreamcast with me using kb/m against some controller users (private game, by invitation) and it was an unholy bloodbath, they didn't stand a chance. I'll give it a try, I've got a couple of free rental coupons at blockbuster and it usually isn't too hard to get PS3 games there.

I know you can search with a filter but it would suck to be locked out of most/all of the dedicated servers if you just wanted to play other gamepad users.

mr stroke

plagiarize said:
, but i did get a head set!

Good luck using it :(

why oh why can't this game have flawless voice chat, is it really THAT hard Epic? I hope Epic stands behind the problem to fix it, but generally if voice chat is broken from the start it will never be completely fixed. :(

MoxManiac

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I just have these visions of getting absolutely pulverized. I played some Quake 3 on the Dreamcast with me using kb/m against some controller users (private game, by invitation) and it was an unholy bloodbath, they didn't stand a chance. I'll give it a try, I've got a couple of free rental coupons at blockbuster and it usually isn't too hard to get PS3 games there.

I know you can search with a filter but it would suck to be locked out of most/all of the dedicated servers if you just wanted to play other gamepad users.

I saw a crapload of gamepad only servers, they are out there. They outnumber kb/mouse ones, much to my chargin.

Why don't you want to use a keyboard/mouse anyways?

theBishop

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:

When it comes to UT, you have to accept that you're going to die. Dying part of the game, which is why you can instantly jump back into the fray.

But I've never felt like i was constantly getting slammed on the mixed servers. dual-stick controls work quite well once you tweak them to your comfort level.

Firewire

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:

Well having played both combinations, I think there are allot of new users trying KB/M, so they aren't that great at it, and the fact that the controller set up is so nice, meaning its set up perfectly and that it can be tweaked, makes it a rather leveled playing field.

There is however a time when the pro KB/M players come out & that is usually around 12:30-1:00AM, and thats when you get frag'd to death like crazy. At that time I usually switch to controller only.

If you have rental coupons, I suggest going that route, I know the speed compared to other console FPS, scares some people away. (not saying this about you)

Top Bottom